Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

casa de mi padre posted:

A lens that plays customizable sound effects every time you take a picture. Where is this feature???
Like this?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd9_1345400930
:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

It most certainly effects image quality if your subjects react to it (ie. you are taking candids, especially in a quiet environment).

"I totally didn't notice the big, dumb, SLR wielding goon standing in the corner until his lens made a slight noise." --Said noone ever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
One time I was out in public with my 50mm and was unable to take a photograph because the absurd whirring of my lens convinced all of the people in the area that I was a famous dubstep musician. They swarmed me rending my clothes and demanding autographs. My inability to quietly take a photo that day still haunts me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I was shooting a wedding in a courthouse once, very solemn ceremony. The proper M series gear was being used but I had made a grave mistake and eaten burritos for breakfast. The judge sentenced me to 10 years of doing the chicken dance for farting during the vows. It was awful.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

First they came for our pic dump threads.
Then they came for our lovely photographer threads.
Then they came for our gear threads.
-Anne Frank

Who is "they" because I would like to send them a fruit basket.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's a little creepy when it looks like it's staring at a gyrating sex parrot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Hey, why don't you guys both six hour each other repeatedly in an alternating manner . That way the people in your respective subforums don't have to read either of your posts. :v:

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 22, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
You know what"s better than a flashlight for focusing at night? A green laser pointer. Just put a dot on whatever lovely thing you are trying to photograph and manually focus until it's sharp. SMDH, autofocus in the the dark....

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Personally, I think it's a crying shame that Pentax doesn't have an affordable full frame DSLR. I'm thinking something D600ish and a sack full of old Takumars would be cool.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

powderific posted:

I think we're all forgetting the most important Pentax advantage: pancake lenses before they were cool :smugbert:.

I think you are forgetting Nikon's GN 45mm which came out in 1968, six years before Pentax released their 40mm. :eng101:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Delta 3200 is for people that send B&W to a lab are shameful as gently caress.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Cute as heck posted:

I never got the whole "UV filter for protection" thing. Why drop $2000 on a lens only to immediately degrade the image quality with a piece of poo poo filter? That's like buying a Ferrari and immediately putting a hood mask on it.

Edit:

I had to out of curiosity.

Except a hood mask doesn't actually change the performance of the car at all, just prevents rock chips (or in the case of my Miata hide the lovely bumper I haven't found time to fix yet). Unless you own one of the few lenses that require a filter to be weather sealed an UV filter does absolutely nothing but degrade your image quality.

Bang3r posted:

I don't really like using hoods much. . .
:stare:

Oh, never mind. I see you don't actually care about image quality, go ahead and put whatever lovely filters you want on there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bang3r posted:

My friend advised me he used to get just basic Glass filters but I haven't been able to find any

Here, this is $5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/82mm-UV-Ult...=item2a1e09dfbd

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dakana posted:

See what happens when we take "no uv filters" out of the thread title?

Hail satan.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I dunno if this fits here but,

I need a new computer. This one has a litany of issues in addition to not handling D800e files in LR and PS and resizing them to 60"x60" at 300dpi in Perfect Resize too well.

This is all about CPU power and disk access speed right? I also need a new monitor, as my 7 year old Cinema Display is starting to get dark streaks.

So: Can I buy a badass Dell or Toshiba monitor and then build a computer that just has crazy CPU power and call it good? And not spend a ton on a GPU or 64 GB of RAM or anything? I thought about just buying a new iMac but the price premium isn't worth it and I can get bigger, more accurate monitors for cheaper.

If I was building a desktop I would get the latest gen i7, an SSD, and 16gb of RAM. I am looking to upgrade my laptop and I read an article that basically said anything more than 16gb of RAM isn't fast enough to justify the cost http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=1569 . I use a 2nd gen i3 with 8gb of RAM and an SSD right now and it's a little slow in PS working on 3200dpi 4x5 scans but not objectionably slow so I'll probably upgrade to an i5 sometime in the next few months.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

Apparently forcing the lever as hard as you phyisically can is the workaround, nowimpsallowed.

The workaround is buying something that is arca swiss compatible so you don't have to deal with Manfrotto's lovely quick releases.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mclifford82 posted:

I've never had an issue with Manfrotto's quick release plates. What makes arca swiss that much better?

A lot of people have issues with the plates not locking in correctly or the lever sticking. Arca Swiss style lets you just slide the camera in and lock it down easily every time. My heavier gear feels way more secure with a cheap $20 knob style clamp than it ever did with my expensive Manfrotto head. It's a bit hard to explain why it's just a better experience but everyone I know that switched says the same thing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

I want him to get arrested and go to jail sooooooo bad.

NoneMoreNegative is a bad poster but jail is a bit much...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

How the hell do you 'refurbish' a memory card, anyway?

For 3 easy payments of $19.99 I will teach this one weird tip that memory card manufacturers don't want you to know. . .

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

Probably better asking here since like 6 of us read the sports thread :v:

Anyone use the ThinkTank Steroid belt and some of their holsters/pouches? I'm getting a set of stuff along with the shoulder straps for some sports and weddings and was curious how any of you liked them.

They probably work great. I used to use a generic work belt and some Lowepro pouches when I shot weddings and it was very convenient, especially if you are shooting primes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Off camera TTL flash is dumb. Buy a cheap manual flash and some equally cheap radio slaves and spend the money you save on stands/modifiers that aren't poo poo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mindphlux posted:

So something like that cheap YongNuo or this (http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...canon+speedlite) I posted would be fine? I'm fine with foregoing the off camera ttl and doing exposure adjustment manually if auto ttl isn't really that helpful or reliable, I just really don't know enough about the quality of flashes to know what cheap flashes would be underpowered or whatever.

Auto TTL is plenty reliable, you just don't really need it and would be better off spending money on useful stuff.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have the feeling to use all primes. I rather like the simplicity. Someone tell me I am stupid.

Primes own. Zooms are for chumps.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Just looking for a bag, a simple bag, in which I can stick a tripod, a light stand, and an umbrella or two. Bought something that seemed reasonable on Amazon, the zipper broke within two weeks. Any suggestions on something a bit more resistant to fall-apart?

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/VidPro-Carryi...rds=tripod+bag, I only use it for protecting my tripod from the other stuff in my trunk though so no idea how resiliant it is to actually being carried around. If you don't mind spending the money Domke makes tripod bags and all of their stuff is nice. http://www.amazon.com/Domke-709-432D-F-432-32-Inch-Tripod/dp/B00126FVIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375411133&sr=8-2&keywords=domke+tripod+bag

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Okay, the VidPro's the one with the zipper that fell right off so I guess I need to go higher than the $15 range to get some durability. I'll take a look at the Domke.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I never actually zip mine up then.

rcman50166 posted:

The two things I feel no photography should go cheap on are tripods and bags. Tripods because anything under $100 will break in a year or so with moderate use and a bag because it is the only thing protecting your stuff from the pavement below. Not specifically helpful, but I learned this the hard/expensive way.

Some inexpensive stuff is fine. My daily carry bag for small formats is a $20 Lowepro messenger and it's great.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah mine is a small gray messenger with minimal padding.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wario In Real Life posted:

Tripod thoughts? Is a Slik 700 for $150 pretty much everything a hobbyist would ever need? It seems like slight overkill but I'd rather get something nice in case I need it later down the road.

THe legs look okay, but definitely skip the version that comes with a head since it looks like a 3 way pan-tilt without a quick release.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A $20 camera won't stop him from getting stabbed by hobos...

How about $40 worth of pepper spray? http://www.amazon.com/Kimber-Pepperblaster-Grey-One-Size/dp/B004MG63X6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1377442771&sr=8-4&keywords=pepper+gun Good for wild animals and stabbin' hobos.

Elderbean posted:

What are must haves for a decent off camera lighting setup, assuming I don't want to spend a shitload of money? I want to do some studio stuff and maybe some weird conceptual shots outside. I also need a decent tripod capable of supporting a 6D and my mammoth lens.

Also, I have this huge fear that my poo poo will get stolen if I got outside with it alone. I live outside of Seattle and I always want to go out at night and take some shots but I'm terrified that someone is going to beat the poo poo out of me and steal my stuff. Am I being silly?

Seattle is like one of the least scariest cities to be alone at night in, so yes you are being a little silly. Just pay attention to your surroundings and don't setup a tripod near a known shady area.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't loving do this.

Well, if he does then the mirror won't be a problem (one way or the other).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The mirror on cameras snaps down with some force, if the lens doesn't clear it you will shatter the mirror. If you buy that lens do your self a favor and go to Harbor Freight (or wherever) and buy a cheap set of vernier calipers to measure the flange to mirror distance on your camera and compare it with the amount the rear element sticks out of the lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I have a Sirui ball-head, not the C-10 but I think just a little larger (possibly a discontinued model, I don't see mine on the B&H website). It's quite stable, and I'm happy with it. It uses Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates, so if you're not happy with the one you get it's easy to find a nicer replacement. The good QR plates tend to be a bit pricey, though.

I like Acratech plates. They are a little pricey but it's worth it to me to have a well constructed plate since I just leave them on my cameras.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use a Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8. It rules and was only like $40.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

The 18-55 VR is cock solid for reals.

Freudian zoom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Is it possible to make space somewhere behind the bar? Pretty much the only way to do what you want quickly is to set up a tiny photobooth that you could quickly place the drink in snap the shutter and then serve. You could get a small LED panel, support it on three sides with white foamcore, and have P&S on a minitripod so you can just push a button and go. Otherwise you are just going to look silly and take blurry photos doing it. You wouldn't need more than a square foot or so as long as you don't have crazy large glasses.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

That's some egregious bullshit and you know it SM.

It's a Soundmonkey post.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dr. Lenin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Was about to get the Vanguard that grack recommended (http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-SBH-...llhead+vanguard) as being compatible with the Arca-Swiss system, but I can't find anything on the page that says it actually is. Can anyone confirm it or point me to one that is?

That is not arca swiss compatible, Vanguard's ABH line are the ones that come with arca swiss clamps. http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-ABH-...ds=vanguard+ABH

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rcman50166 posted:

Or free

Materials needed:

Garbage bag
UV Filter
Rubber Band

1. Throw camera in garbage bag
2. Smash UV filter
3. Kill you are self
4. Place rubber band on dick and balls

This is basically what I do in foul weather.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Shaocaholica posted:

So would there be any market for a medium format(or even LF) speed booster type adapters to mount onto FF cameras? Seems like a good way to put MF glass to use that would otherwise be wasted due to cost of digital MF and/or having to scan film.

Probably not. Bear in mind that most medium format glass is designed for larger capture medium and actually worse than 35mm glass. I say this as a guy that bought a Hasselblad to Nikon adapter.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

The Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 is like the only lens even worth trying this for.

I had one and my eyes weren't good enough to focus it wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Moonbloodsflow posted:

I'm looking to purchase an all around decent camera. I don't know anything about photography but I'm wanting to learn. I'd like to have something good for photo and video. I have spent weeks reading and am currently thinking about picking up the Panasonic FZ200. I can't decide if I should take the plunge on it or get a budget DSLR. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to worry about lenses. Some of the sub compact cameras were pretty interesting too. I have owned a Canon G9 but I never did much with it. I'd like to keep my total budget at around $500-800. I don't have any specific needs and I know there's no camera that does it all. I'd just like to come as to an all arounder as I can. I really like the zoom capabilities of the FZ200. Thoughts? Is there a better investment? I haven't totally ruled out a lensed based system.

Did you not use the G9 because it was annoying to use or because you just didn't feel like taking photos? If it was the latter then spend as little as possible because you probably still won't bother to take photos. If it was because you were unhappy with the camera then for the love of god do not buy a lovely bridge camera. I would recommend you look into the OMD E-M10, it's at the upper end of your budget but hits all the points you want.