Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm currently living in Panama and gear prices suck. I went looking for lenses and saw a $200 lens marked up to $400. So, I'm having someone bring me down everything I could possibly want to play around with since I'm here for another 16 months. Currently, I've got my Sony A290, kit lens, memory cards, and camera case. I looked at a few suggested accessory websites to make sure I'm getting everything I need to get going. Currently this is my list:

Lenses
- Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF Lens
- Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6 SAM DT

Filters
- Complete Square Filter Kit Compatible with Cokin P Series (Mainly just for messing around with effects)
- 3-piece Filter Set UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer (Yes I did see about not buying a UV filter. I figure for $13 it'd be fun to play around with the filters though since I have a ton of free time.)
- PLR Optics 55MM +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set

Misc
- 2 Replacement Batteries
- Cleaning Kit(LensPen, Rocket Air Blaster, Microfiber Cleaning Cloths)

Is there anything else I should add to this list? Maybe stuff worth getting just to experiment with that's relatively cheap? I'm skipping on anything flash related for now since I live in the jungle and almost never shoot at night. As a note, my budget is probably going to be about $300 for lens(es) and everything else another $100 or so.

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

dakana posted:

Definitely save your money and skip the square filter kit and 3-piece filter set. You (shouldn't) aren't going to use graduated colored filters. Some people use graduated neutral density filters, but no one really makes good photos with colored filters. If you want to dick around with that sort of thing, just take a picture and then drag a gradient mask across half of it in Lightroom and go bananas.
For polarizers, you want a circular polarizer, which lets you rotate the filter to pick how much polarization you want, and in which orientation (rotate a quarter turn if you want to shoot portrait vs landscape, for example). #1 Best Value Filter is the Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer, but if you just want one to mess around with, Tiffen's are fine. The fluorescent filter is rendered completely obsolete by white balancing, and there is no "effect" to mess with with a UV filter -- it's literally a clear piece of glass.

The macro filters will degrade image quality but for the price will probably be alright to mess around with.
My attraction to the square filter kit is because I don't have electricity all the time in my house. That means I won't really be doing any Photoshop work because I don't really have the time when I'm out at an internet cafe. I dropped the 3-piece filter kit and replaced them with a Tiffen 55mm Circular Polarizer.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm headed to Iceland in two weeks and I'm trying to figure out if I want to get any new gear. I currently have a Nikon camera with 35mm 1.8f, 50mm 1.8f, 10-20mm 4.5-5.6f, and a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6. I'm thinking of just bringing the 10-20 and splurging on a Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2. Thoughts?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Some more research and I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for $290 since I have a crop body.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've currently got a Tamron 70-300 4.5-5.6 lens as my only telephoto. I'm interested in doing more macro and portraiture and it sounds like the Sigma 105 2.8 is a solid choice. Any opinions?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any comparable pocketable cameras to the Ricoh G3? Bedsides an rx100, iPhone 13 or Pixel 6, I'm not really seeing any other competitors. As a note, for now at least, I want to keep my Nikon D7500 and lenses and have something I can take out when I don't want to carry it.

huhu fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 22, 2021

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I'm looking at a dummy battery for my Lumix G9, so that I can use the HDMI out indefinitely. Is there any reason to not just grab the cheapest thing that works on Amazon, or should I avoid unknown Chinese brands?

I bought a cheap random one for my Sony A6000 and it's worked great.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

JamesieAB posted:

Can I use a powerbank with the usb c connector to charge the battery or even run the camera directly?

You could look into dummy batteries to USB and then plug that into your powerbank.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm slowly rebuilding out my camera gear after selling everything and starting over with Nikon Z. I've currently got a Nikon Z5 and a 24-120 F4 lens. I'm headed on a long road trip through Canada in two weeks and wanted to get some new stuff for astrophotography and wildlife. I'll eventually get the Nikon Z 180-600 lens but it doesn't release until the end of August.

For now, I was thinking of trying the FTZ adapter and going with the following two used lenses:

Sigma 20mm F/1.4 DG (HSM) A (Art) Lens
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DI VC USD AF Lens

I figure, if I don't like the FTZ, I can just sell everything for about what I paid for it. Any other lenses you'd consider instead?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've had such lovely luck with point and shoot film cameras. I'm wondering how I should guarantee success with my next purchase. I was thinking of maybe getting a Kodak Ektar H35 Half Frame Film Camera. Any other recommendations?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Can anyone recommend a place to purchase a converted P&S digital camera to infrared? I don't have strong opinions on the brand. I feel like there has to be some random guy running a business selling them and his little shop just lists his most recent conversions.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to purchase a cheap replacement for a "Nikon HB-103 Lens Hood" (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1670099-REG/nikon_4260_hb_103_lens_hood.html) which is for my Nikon Z 100 - 400. I see the official option is $66. Searching the part on Amazon seems to return things that are not actually an HB-103. Where else can I look for such a part?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Really debated filing an insurance claim for the lens hood. Not sure it's worth the hassle and premium jump for $66. Thanks for checking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Currently looking to get a bag to lug all my camera gear on flights/busses.

The current two I'm looking at are:
https://www.nomatic.com/products/mckinnon-camera-backpack-25l?variant=39461865717832
https://brevite.co/products/the-brevite-backpack?variant=34952238891162&=undefined

Curious if there are any other bags in roughly the realm/size/features. of these two that I should be looking at.