Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nickmeister posted:

They were going to let become a terrorist? The way they presented in the trailer(s) and promotional material, the terrorists were irredeemable extremists who strapped bombs to CEO's and bankers before chucking them into a crowded street of regular joes and blowing them up. I could see the game taking that route if the terrorists were merely performing precision hits on the said bankers (which would make more sense, since the bad guys are supposedly ex-military, highly skilled, not just sloppy thugs), but not the way they were presented.

Not saying you're wrong, just seems a little odd to me.

The thing I remember seeing in Game Informer or some other gaming magazine, there were CoD-style cutaways, but the one I saw was from the perspective of a banker whose home is invaded by the not-Occupy terrorists, his family taken captive, and a bomb strapped to him and then tossed into traffic.

Honestly, having Rainbow members go rogue and taking out bankers, brokers, and other corporate executive types would have been cooler. I think the problem is that those executive management class is probably the least sympathetic people in the United States right now that even if they made the terrorists irredeemable bad guys, there would still be a nagging part in your mind that these guys are right.

poo poo, I felt that way playing the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter series, because the basic jist of that game is that you're intervening and putting down a popular revolution that seeks to keep its nation's sovereignty and not be a U.S. security puppet. And that's with most of your targets being brown-skinned Mexicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

massive spider posted:

I'm really liking the design of mega city one, its looks like its taking inspiration from real third world cities. Its dystopic in the sense that its a sprawling slum rather than because its a mess of skyscrapers.

Like with the lighting, everything looks harsh and glaring making it look uncomfortable like midsummer in LA or some other sweaty shithole, wheras the stallone movie mega city one was more blade runner type perpetual darkness buildings blotting out the sun type deal.

I like the gravestone setup of skyscrapers, with everything surrounding them as slums.

I like the idea of the harsh sunlight being a lighting motif. Nothing says "global warming" like unforgiving sunshine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I'm sorry, this just got passed over. Is this what I think it is?

How can it not be? It even has a satellite dish as a gold ring.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

This looks great, Dredd looks just like the early Mike Mcmahon B/W strips. people saying the city looks sparse need to look again, at first glance it looks like some skyscrapers with sort of shanty town/slums sprawling around them but if you look closer you'll see the 'small buildings' are regular cityblock sized towers and the 'large buildings' are colossal megacity "bloks". As CG future cities go it's fairly nice and it communicates 'bleak' more succinctly than some wondrous multi-tiered neon dream-scape.

Over in GBS, I posted this :spergin: Sim City 3000 level some guy did called Magnasanti, which was his experiment at making the most populous city in the game. He did it, but it's a cyberpunk dystopia, with heavy police presence, air pollution everywhere, and the average citizen living a maximum life expectancy of 50 years. After rewatching his video, I noticed the city's layout reminded me a bit of the Mega City shots we saw in the teaser trailer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, I thought the links were just fake, but it turns out they're Dredd-itized news items of current events.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

You mean the judges effectively suppressing a pro-democracy movement using real-life anti-demonstrator tactics and then brutally killing pro-democracy terrorists? Yes.

Garland also wants to do it, he's said so in interviews.

See: http://io9.com/5945062/why-the-second-dredd-movie-could-be-even-darker

So, the first America book, then?

Only if they can get that last shot of the Dredd statue towering over the broken Statue of Liberty.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's not the last shot, it's the opening scene. It still needs to be in, though, voice-over and all.

I understand that, but if this sequel is made, that should be the last shot just so people understand that the Judges aren't the "good guys".

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

TBH I think combining the Democracy/Cursed Earth storylines could work pretty well. You can have the set-up at the beginning with the Judges hunting down the Dem leadership in the wake of an attack/protest of some kind,follow that up with them discovering that their most wanted perp(s) already fled the city and *bam* Cursed Earth posse. Lead, of course, by you know who. Insert the token Judge(s) who increasingly question why they're even hunting this guy/girl and a Dredd increasingly hell-bent on bringing them back no matter the cost because THE LAW and you've got plenty to play around with.

Fake edit: and mutants of course. Lots of mutants.

Let's face it, you just want that for a film adaptation of the Burger Wars, don't you?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

She should stick to villain roles. I think she was terrible when she was supposes to give that big inspirational speech in 300.

That's probably because the Spartans were just as bad as the Persians and all that talk about "democracy" and "freedom" was hollow talk when they owned and abused slaves.

Xenomrph posted:

She was pretty solid in the Terminator TV series, too.

Word.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

meatsaw posted:

They posture like bad guys but you've got the guy Anderson shoots that has a wife and kid, and you start to wonder what it would take to survive in this city. Again I don't know much about the Dredd universe, but if the Judges are just responding to only 6% of the crimes (and only the worst ones), I imagined the gangs were mostly armed to fight each other, and didn't even expect the police to arrive. It almost makes MC1 look like living in a prison, where you could end up in a gang for your own protection.

It's like Elysium from the point of view of the Civil Cooperation Bureau robots.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

"I've got three perps for recyc."

What do you think they're recycling the bodies to at recyc?

Yep. I could see something like Soylent Green or WH40K's Corpse Starch in Mega City. Maybe not made of people, but with people, if there's an distinction.

Also, to answer the original question...

Ho, ho, ho.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

yeah it was pretty bad

I like the Doom games premise more as well. I've always been fond of the idea of humans managing to create technology so advanced that they pierce the veil and encounter the theological realms, like hell. It could be such a wonderful mindfuck

It was the coolest part of Event Horizon as well

Or that some sort of Lovecraftian "atheistic theology", that gods exist but we now recognize that they're really just a reality-shaping lifeform with their own goals, operating on a higher order and plane of existence than us mere mortals. They may have created us or even the universe, but it's probably elephants all the way down at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

1: No hell.
2: No mars, not really. Mars was post-production shoved in due to backlash.
2A: Certainly no moons of mars, because people who remember the old Doom games know you never actually go to Mars.
3: No demons.
4: No space travel-era sci-fi setting. We got a stargate instead because... uh..
5: Did we really need the crew of Predator badasses to instead include a greasy child molester and a rookie as dumb as "the kid?"

Doom is a movie that I'd hate more if it wasn't so entertainingly stupid. I'm glad both Urban went on to other things, and also, Clint Mansell didn't get his career hurt by it, they tried their best. But what should have been a fun sci-fi horror action gorefest was instead a PG-13 attempt to make a watered down Resident Evil knock-off.

Hell, there was a ton of room for a plot right in the original game's text file bundled with the shareware release, certainly enough to make a very entertaining film anyway. As it stands, Ghost of Mars is a more faithful Doom movie than the Doom movie on every level. It's a shame the studio decided Jason Statham wasn't "bankable as an action star" and made Carpenter recast loving Ice Cube in the lead, though.

Yeah, the original game idea is literally something like Aliens meets Evil Dead 2, although the closest similarity would be with Event Horizon, even if that movie would come out until 4 years after the game.

• Locked thread