Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Urban sounds like hes having an uncharacteristic amount of fun doing his job for Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm really liking the design of mega city one, its looks like its taking inspiration from real third world cities. Its dystopic in the sense that its a sprawling slum rather than because its a mess of skyscrapers.

Like with the lighting, everything looks harsh and glaring making it look uncomfortable like midsummer in LA or some other sweaty shithole, wheras the stallone movie mega city one was more blade runner type perpetual darkness buildings blotting out the sun type deal.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 24, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love how they always try to sell Dredd as a cliche action hero, when some of the bigger and more popular stories are more personal in scale, and the rest are generally way the gently caress more out there than most blockbusters. Like they'd never think to do a movie about "America" or "Necropolis", but they'll have him just kill some random criminals for an hour forty. A lot of the better Dredd stories actually have him introspective and critical of the law and it's place in Mega-City One. It's not all "Pull out the Lawgiver and lets fire off some explosive bullets!" and Dredd as an unthinking fascist monster with a boner for the law.

I actually prefer Dredd as an unthinking fascist to be honest, the whole "well shucks maybe I'm in the wrong after all" thing doesn't really work for me.

To me its a lot more interesting and braver to have a protagonist who's just an out and out dick rather than try to humanise him.

I said earlier that in the trailer Urban seems like he's a little more gleeful in what he does than I would have pictured, but Dredd as a total sociopath is still an interpretation that could work for me.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 24, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, when you have a one-note (but "badass") protagonist, you end up with Rorschach and you're stuck with the audience cheering on a character they really shouldn't be cheering on just because he's "badass".

Rorschach is a really interesting character though, its not the film/comics fault that some idiots think he's unironically awesome. He wouldn't be improved by having a more obvious "MAYBE IM BAD" moment for the slow kids so we can all feel good about liking him again.

I don't like when anti-heroes pet babies and ultimately get neutered to the point where there's nothing threatening about them anymore. Examples: Dexter, Wolverine ect.

Also, I think more people catch on to the fact that Rorsharch is flawed than you might think. People can have a visceral reaction to cheer a bad guy while simultaneously knowing on some level that he's bad.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 24, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just realized that the X design in the middle of the helmet must be insanely annoying from inside.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Saw this, liked it.

I noticed though that the music during the slomo sequences sounded like paulstretch, the program that appropriately makes ambient pieces by slowing music down 10000x, it got me wondering what it is that's actually being played at normal speed?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I am really surprised at how this movie is getting 90% on rotten tomatoes. are the trailers a poor indication of how great this movie is? because the trailer doesnt make it seem that amazing.

Amazing is the wrong word I think. I'd go with "solid". It doesent attempt to overreach and just focuses on a tight, compact story with 80s style ott violence.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I love that there was no obvious reason why dredd couldn't have just dragged her downstairs and sorted the bomb watch thing out later, he just had to deliver a sentence RIGHT NOW.

Its been said a million times now but I'm still totally in denial of how poorly this movie is doing. Meanwhile, resident evil is on its 5th installment.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 28, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Woah. No offense, but I think you might be reading too much into that one scene. Or maybe you're using terminology that is a little too esoteric. Why can't you just say it's hilarious to see a hard-rear end gangster get his dick bitten off and piss his pants?

Becasue thats boring and some people like to talk about movies.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The reason I liked the level of satire in dredd was because it assumes that you're not a loving idiot and that you've probably seen at least one paul verhovan movie.

Baron Bifford posted:

If we were to forgive every criminal who was broke when he was arrested, then we'd have to release most of the inmates in our prisons. This is a very banal thing - criminals are regularly in dire financial straits. Modern judges do not let criminals off the hook because they were broke when they committed their crime, so why the heck should we be shocked when Dredd doesn't give the poor a pass either?

You're acting like Dredd is a literal documentary of events, and not a constructed narrative.

Yes we can assume the criminals in dredd probably have families to feed, like in real life. The question is why does the movie have a scene going out of its way to remind us that this is the case?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 27, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, it's such a very brief little scene, there develop Anderson's character, not to highlight the harshness of Mega-City justice. The movie quickly forgets this moment to have Dredd go on to slaughter more armed thugs until there are no more armed thugs for him to slaughter, at which point the movie swiftly ends because it has nothing else to tell us. Very little attention is given to the personal lives of the block residents and their relationship with the government.

Andrersons character and her place in the plot is still part of the narrative. How does it develop her character? Why place a character in the film to bring this perspective?

Saying "its such a brief scene" doesent answer the question, why include it then?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I agree that mama probably had something of a latent death wish, I don't see how that makes it "the most ludicrous aspect of the movie" though. Surely that just makes her actions consistent with her character? I really don't get what you're arguing with this.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Ma-Ma is willing to pay the corrupt Judges millions to cover it up for her, if she's got a death wish and wants to go out gloriously, it's not reflected in the film.

She goes out of her way to constantly cover up the actions going on in Peach Trees, if she wanted a glorious battle, she could have just left the place opened up and not initiated the security lockdown.

Its not going out gloriously if you don't actually try to put up a good fight. Its not an inconsistent interpretation of the character and her placidness when shes finally beaten.

What I don't get is why Baron Bifford seems to be arguing that the block war was an illogical action for a character who's all about inflicting terror and single minded brutality. I mean yeah, maybe the Judges are gonna take her down eventually, and it wasn't subtle or long term thinking on Mamas part, but so?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any examples of a movie which bombed initially being redeemed financially through a sequel? I mean a sequel would theoritically function as an advertisement for the original as well, but I dont know if that would play out enough to make it worthwhile.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

I'd argue this based on the fact that every time the drug is used by anyone other than its creator/main distributor, death immediately follows. There's a correlation there. I'd say if anything it reflects Ma Ma's corruption of the block/city.

A beautiful death though. People are dying for no reason all over the shop anyway.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

He stopped and stared even though he could have just as easily left. Maybe reveling is the wrong word but he certainly wasn't dispassionate and clinical about it.

Thats what makes keeping the mask on so great along with the close up mirror shot of his visor. gently caress knows whats going on behind there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Same effect but everything sounds like that when put through it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

It seems to me to be completely ambiguous - maybe Dredd decided to consider her mind-reading to be her primary weapon, maybe he just decided to break the rules in this case because he believed it was worth it. Personally I hope the former was the intent - isn't Dredd essentially supposed to be a pure tool of the law, and that's his fundamental character? Having him decide to ignore the rules in this case feels a bit like a ham-handed “we need to make the protagonist more likeable" thing. Or is he actually more morally fluid than I've heard?

Remember dredd is literally a Judge, judges get to decide how the law is interpreted. Law isnt applied immutably in real life.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

At what point did you get the impression that Mega-City One's laws are applied as in real life? Also, even in reality, not all laws are 'interpreted' - some are very, very cut-and-dry. My point was that the primary weapon rule may be one of those, or it may not. The scene is ambiguous.

Yes, its ambiguous. But its not even possible for every law to be cut and dried, even if the judges are ostensibly supposed to be arbitratrary enforcers of The Law there's still going to be times when they have to rely on their own judgement as to what that means. Passing Anderson for whatever reason is bending the rules, even if you decided that her "primary weapon" was her mind that's still some pretty creative interpretation of a law which is obviously as written intended to mean gun.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My point is that either way you can't have law without a human interpreting it. Judge Dredd is supposed to embody the law as an unstoppable, arbitrary force but that's not actually possible. Which is what makes it interesting. It would have been "objectively" correct if dredd had failed or passed her.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that stands out most to me about 95 dredd is the theme, which its totally badass but totally ill suited to the movie. It really seems like everyone involved thought they were kickstarting an epic sci fi franchise.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Something I never noticed on first viewing, when Dredd gives mama the slo mo at the end he doesn't hold her mouth or anything to make sure she inhales, instead he does the "...how do you plead?" speech and mama inhales it a second later herself.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

jabby posted:

The '95 film did have a few shining moments of Dredd-ness despite the overall story being a massive handicap. I enjoyed watching Dredd stride confidently into gunfire having determined he was outside the lethal range and announce to two entire blocks they were all under arrest. Plus the scene of him teaching at the academy could have been done word-for-word by Karl Urban's Dredd and it still would have worked.

Except he's wrong because the guys shooting just gunned down random people at street level in the previous scene.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really liked that mega city was mostly low rises. I know typically in sci fi blade runner style skyscrapers but even those are cool in their own imposing way, when rob schneider first gets off the bus in the 95 movie theres an epic shot of the skyline with music. A mass of low rise projects however really just sells that this place is just poo poo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

Mega-City One isn't meant to be a dystopia. It's a failed utopia. We build skyscrapers the size of cities, the economy is so strong that 87% of the population being out of work doesn't dent it, we can travel to other star systems and even other times and dimensions, and what do we do with it? The same things we've always done, only harder and worse.

That's not quite the same way its presented in the film though. I mean if youve read the comics then you know unemployment is 90% because of robots and overabundance. In the film when they just say "unemployment in peachtrees is 90%" without that context the connotation is different. Dredd straight up describes it as "the ruins of the old world" in the opening narration.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 8, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

Being set after a war that destroyed civilisation does not make a story dystopian. Compare Logan's Run with City of Ember. In Logan's city almost everyone is happy and the system works - it just isn't a very nice system in certain ways. In Ember the people struggle under corrupt politicians and the system is literally falling apart. The former is a failed utopia; the latter, a dystopia. Dredd is much closer to Logan's Run than it is to Ember.

You're using the word dystopian, not me.

In the comics theres a lot of backstory for how Mega city 1 works and its presented as a mass of high rise buildings crowded in- too much of everything. In the film the first thing you see of it is low rise slums dotted with high rise fallout centers, rioting in the streets and an overstressed justice system. Its a different interpretation is my point. Is that a dystopia or a "failed utopia" - does it matter?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

moths posted:

He was innocent because Dredd wasn't arresting him.

Yeah I took it like that too. I don't like the "everyone is a criminal for some petty reason" interpretation of mega city one law, I like the idea that judges literally make the law with their presence. If judge says you're innocent, you're innocent. If he says you're a criminal, you're a criminal.

Like Andersons decision with the hacker at the end. Dredd lets him go in accordance with Andersons ruling before questioning why she made the call she did.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 19, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Heres something weird I don't know what to make of: this movie has more facebook likes than Robocop.

I only noticed that because the prince Charles cinema is doing a back to back screening of Robocop > The Raid > Dredd

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing about managing Tone is that while Dredd didn't have much wacky comic book stuff the movie was all contained in one tower block, so there could be anything going on outside in mega city.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 30, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Yeah but imagine if Batman and Robin represented the entirety of the Batman franchise to the majority of people. Or worse, if the assumption was that there was no Batman franchise, and that thenceforth anything Batman-related must be a spinoff/remake of Batman and Robin.

Plus, a kiss of death ain't no thing. Just put on some wax lips.

I don't think people necessarily thought Dredd was a sequal/remake of Dredd 95' though, so much as they thought "well they tried to do this before, and it sucked so obviously its a waste of time and the character is just bad and dumb".

Imagine if a new Tank Girl movie or something came out and it was a actually good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Her gun wasn't her primary weapon :sax:

Its not really either all though, I mean calling her mind he "primary weapon" would be a bit of legalese that runs counter to what the rule is obviously worded to mean.

If judges are judge, jury and executioner they may have to follow "the law" but they obviously have a high degree of flexibility and bias as to what "the law" actually means.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 8, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I think this newspaper article validates my point.

Thats what makes the satire great, the fact that the screenwriter approached it "as if he was a ten year old boy".

The screenwriter is not actually a ten year old boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I took it as being like an exam where the answer you give isn't as important as whether you can plausibly argue it.

• Locked thread