Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NotAnArtist posted:

I was maybe 12 or so when the Stallone movie came out, and I don't really remember it all too well, but I played the hell out of the SNES game, and wondered why the heck there were these ghost-like Evil Judges (whom I later learned were the Dark Judges). They weren't in the movie; how could they be relevant to the game? Frankly, I'd like to see them in movie-form - how do you mean they're too extreme for a mature-rated feature film? (Might sound dick-ish, I'm honestly curious).

In the comics the dark judges are effectively spirits from a parallel dimension that are un-killable and eat souls and emotions and stuff. They can be psychically banished or sealed up in certain materials (I think the SNES game had something like this actually where instead of just blowing them away like every other enemy you had to use a particular ammo type to capture their and banish their souls with). I don't think it's too weird so much as that the scope of the threat would require a pretty big budget to be convincing. Judge Death's first appearance in the comics is in a lot of pretty constricted areas once he hits our world, but in a film you'd get that effect in The Avengers where you see two people on a street at a time and are supposed to imagine a huge alien invasion happening right around them in the middle of Midtown.

Plus I could see producers being hesitant about pushing something that isn't either straight "sci-fi" or straight "fantasy." Stuff like Dune or Warhammer 40,000 that has high technology and straight up magic and ghosts at the same time owns but I feel like the capacity of audiences to handle "so much" is underestimated. Conan the Barbarian and Immortals both come to mind. Both films were originally written to be post apocalyptic in nature with a blasted earth, mutants and so on while still having a lot of super natural content but both were scaled back in scope.

I can also understand wanting to distance this one from the Stallone movie, so no ABC Warrior bots and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

If we're talking guilty pleasure Stallone films, Demolition Man at least has something going for it. The Judge Dredd movie with him in it is a piece of poo poo.

Iso-Cubes and all, the best thing about Demolition Man is that between the ham-fisted satire it felt more like a Judge Dredd movie than the actual Judge Dredd movie. I was going to mention it but someone already posted the fast food wars page. Remember the franchise wars Taco Bell won in Demolition Man? We get this fast food brand name warfare juxtaposed with the lower classes needing to riot and break and enter just to get food. The movie is less about the characters and more about the setting and how politicians try to find the exact right amount of compensation and comfort to keep people complacent and spending money. In the Dredd comics we have countries warring over territory via a lethal Olympic event for which you buy tickets to watch squadrons kill each other.

What does this have to do with the movie? Not a whole lot, which is kind of a shame. I'm a fan of the RoboCop/Demolition Man-esque satirical Dredd stories, but I feel like they require completely ridiculous antagonists on some level. Otherwise you just have Sledge Hammer, which is awesome, but only gives us one side of the farce. Judge Dredd's ridiculous villains are kind of interesting in that Dredd often attacks the sympton rather than the cause (Why is McDonald's at a point where it needs to literally have open military warfare?).

However, unlike something like popular reading of Batman where Batman himself gives rise to the villains and draws them to Gotham, most of the Dredd situations would have happened regardless of Dredd's existence. The best Dredd comics take the piss out of society at large and the corporations and politicians who run it into the ground at every chance for an extra buck instead of trying to psychoanalyze just the characters like most vigilante/renegade cop comics do.

So while this upcoming Dredd film will hopefully be fun in a "The Raid: Cyberpunk Edition" way as someone posted earlier, it is a slight disappointment that neither this nor the earlier Stallone movie really went all out with making a mockery of our own condition, especially, and I never thought I'd ever write this, in a post Demolition Man world.

Interestingly I read in one interview that First Blood and Judge Dredd were the two biggest surprises for Stallone. The latter because such a terrible movie resulted from so much work from so many talented people, that during production the individual pieces were incredible but the movie was so much less than the sum of its parts. The opposite happened with First Blood, which he almost tried to buy the rights to to keep it from being released because he felt it was coming along horribly.

blackguy32 : That Dredd vs. Death game does follow the comics a bit more (it better, it was made by Rebellion, the owners of 2000 AD Comics!). I liked that again, unlike the movie it had mutants, zombies, incineration for minor crimes like "illegal possession of a goldfish," liberals, vampires, internal affairs judges that would completely destroy you if you messed around too much with the civilian populace, etc. You couldn't go around slaughtering them, but you COULD incapacitate and arrest just about anyone for the most minor thing. Also the immortal moment where I shot someone with an incendiary round and while they were flailing around on fire punched them which caused the upper half of their body to fly off their legs and splatter against a wall. Five seconds later the "Actually Dredd, that may have been a bit harsh." voice over from your boss plays. Also that game is notable for having Left 4 Dead in it as one of its mini-games. Zombie Holocaust coop owned.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 25, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It is the one bright spot of the movie, because Dredd is put into a position where he actually could have a major effect on Mega City One but chooses to just ride around shooting folks for jaywalking instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really is one of the jokes in the movie that's actually clever.

I knew you'd say that!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

That said, I'm still a big Dredd fan and will be disappointed if this film turns out poorly, I've never gotten over the Stallone one. :saddowns:

The worst crime of the Stallone movie is that the first like, ten minutes of it are almost awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.......!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4

I knew you'd post that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Plus who would believe a Judge's gun explodes when someone else uses it? That's dumb, it should just shock them or something so the Judge can actually recover it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLwNKEQ4ir4#t=4m33s Finally something in this story makes sense! :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I'm really not sure where your getting the idea that satire has to be funny. It's more about holding up the bad parts of something for ridicule. While this often lends itself to humor, it still doesn't mean it needs to be (at least directly) funny.

I was going to say, wasn't everyone in this thread forced to read A Modest Proposal in school at some point? It wasn't exactly laugh out loud material.

Finally saw this, it was great. Love the filthy US flag in the background when Anderson is interrogating their prisoner. Also the bit with the corrupt judges was handled much more effectively than in The Raid, which I can't help but compare this movie for obvious reasons. This movie's the rare gem like RoboCop that has its cake and eats it too. I hope this does well when it comes out on disk and VOD. When RoboCop came out drugs and greedy corporate jerks were the problem, this movie realizes that today our militarization of society via our militarization of the police thanks to greedy corporate jerks that now completely run most of the planet is the problem.

One really stupid question though, I think when I saw this it somehow skipped a second or two of footage? Is that even possible with 3D/digital stuff? It was the scene where two of the corrupt judges find the first one that Dredd killed and say "Oh poo poo." It cuts to the Anderson scene almost before the words are out of the character's mouth, very jarring compared to anything else in the movie so I assume it was a technical issue.

I didn't find the 96% unemployment jarring at all. It just felt like an exaggeration of where we could be heading that made sense if you look at each of those city-blocks as the equivalent of a normal apartment building today. The interesting thing with Dredd though is that, due to its satirical nature, it doesn't really lend itself to sequels and franchise kind of stuff.

In this movie in particular Dredd's stomping grounds seem to be on the verge of total collapse. If it does well enough that a sequel is made where will they take it? Something set years later with more technological advancement where we have the older/slightly more mellowed out Dredd of the comics today? A Creepshow anthology style thing with a bunch of short "cases?" Even if the movie made money on home video it'd be a pretty big jump to go straight into using the dark judges.

Seems moot, drat shame.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That would be really cool actually, but could it be done in a single film? I should have been more specific I mean in terms of there being a second feature film made. Remember the Stallone Dredd movie had almost that exact same plot you describe, except it's only mentioned in a thirty second rant from Armand Assante like ten minutes before the movie ends.

Yet again, why can't everything cool be an HBO mini-series? If they could do that and keep the costumes and style from this movie it would make for a great show. Episodes of day in the life stuff as the pro-democracy "threat" looms in the background.

Honestly having a smaller movie like this be only 3D at so many UK theaters was idiotic, what did the distributor expect? Unless it has super hyped Avatar caliber spectacle no one's gonna go just for the 3D even if the Stallone movie never happened and the marketing was more effectve (don't know about the UK but if didn't already like 2000AD I would literally not even notice that the poster for this movie exists as I walk down the subway, bland as hell).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 4, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

So does Judge Dredd have an arch nemesis? The closest one I can think of is Judge Death judging by the video games I have played. One had him as the final boss, the other actually had him in the title. But you really don't hear about any kind of rogues gallery for Dredd, I'm guessing because Dredd just kills them

It's true, most of his enemies get killed or locked up pretty fast unlike say Batman or Spider-Man's revolving door heroics. If you getthe totally rad iOS Dredd game though you can unlock a perp list of everyone in the game that's arrestable. Great game because it's literally a Fighting Fantasy choose your own adventure game but in Mega City 1 instead of a castle full of goblins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I hear what you are saying but it's three weekends in and Dredd still hasn't grossed half its budget worldwide which means Hollywood (who just look at those numbers and nothing more) is likely fast-tracking the home video release.

Honestly at this point I think getting it on disk/VOD as soon as they humanly can is the best thing for this movie. I tell everyone I meet that'll listen that they need to see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

Just a few minutes earlier, we saw the mooks in Rob Schneider's apartment mowing down people on the street with the same guns. :v: "I am! The laAAARGH!"

If you'd actually paid attention to the angle they were shooting at you would have clearly seen the reason it worked out this way...

I'm going to buy this on blu-ray ASAP. I pretty much never buy stuff on disk anymore (last thing I got was Blade Runner final cut actually) but I liked the movie that much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

No Judge, I'm going to tell YOU how it is! :colbert:

I knew you'd do that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I think it should be pointed out that even if Dredd isn't a sadist that enjoys what he does, that doesn't really make him a remotely good person. I wouldn't call him evil, but he certainly isn't good. He does what he thinks is necessary to retain control, which is the same thing Mama does. Dredd burns up the perps for the same reason Mama throws the guys off the building: to send a message that he is dangerous. The main difference between Dredd and Mama is that Mama does everything she can to distance herself from the horrible stuff she does and Dredd forces himself to never look away.

It's not a matter of justifying our actions but rather what we take away from them, how they influence our future actions and our outlook. Dredd is a "good" guy in that, as you say, he forces himself to never look away. Mama is a victim, but is corrupted to the point where she has to be above it all and in control, no better than the system that created her. Dredd, in not looking away or distancing himself from the execution of Mega City One's idea of justice, is able to be present for the revelation of what Anderson already understands, that almost everyone in the building is a victim, a symptom of a problem rather than the source.

As the penultimate representation of the law, of the system, Dredd's decision that Anderson is a keeper makes him a good guy. His acknowledgement of those ideals represents them seeping into the justice system in general. Does he decide this because she makes him stop and think for a second? Look at the torture scene, Dredd literally tries to beat information out of someone with a US flag in the background, to no effect, Anderson engages in a dialogue with her abilities and gets the job done. It's no coincidence that they partnered Dredd with a character that gets results by literally using her brain first. Anderson was right too, there were people beyond "saving," but if even one young person has a non-militarized death horde view of the police and goes on to do something good with himself, then their actions were worth it and society could improve ever so slightly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That really sucks about the January home video release. Was hoping to having this in my home before the holidays.

axleblaze posted:

I'm still very reluctant to call Dredd a good person. ...
Anderson's ideals really can't fully seep into Dredd anyways because that would cause him to quit like Anderson does. Dredd can't even really approach things the way Anderson does anyways. I mean, ignoring the whole psychic thing, can you actually imagine Dredd talking things out?

In the microcosm of this movie, free of the baggage of the comics/the Stallone movie/whatever, I can definitely 100% see that. Especially since the climax of the movie was his declaration that she's a keeper. Look at Mama's death, it happens in such a way that we had people in this board not even sure what was going on or why, yet that final moment of the movie is lingered on, dramatic musical flare, the works. This is the endgame of the movie they want us to pay attention to. The villain's death is handled and shot more as a drawn out formality then something truly important. Why is that?

As for Dredd being a good person, if he didn't improve a bit he wouldn't have made that decision at the end. You're treating him as monolithic when even in the comics he's changed quite a bit (albeit very gradually due to the real time nature of the comics' continuity).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah but we don't really know why he passed Anderson, do we? Maybe his reason was just "she tortures people real good."

Judge Dredd's mask is a lot like a Rorschach test. You can speculate a lot about the motivation of the man behind it. It's why I liked Urban's relatively subtle performance a lot. He didn't allow the character to fall too neatly into "sometimes cruel lawman with his heart in the right place" or "fascist with a boner for violence."

This seems like a given, should I end every sentence with "imo?" That said, do Dredd's motivations even matter? In the end he did the right thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

To answer your first question, um, no I guess? I'm not sure what you're getting at there. You do not have to state "this is my opinion" every time you state an opinion. I am still, however, allowed to disagree with your opinion.

To the second, that depends heavily on your definition of "the right thing." To my eyes, Anderson quitting the force was the right thing and Dredd yanking her back in is very wrong indeed.

Your previous post made it seem like you were dismissive of discussion of what I was saying because everyone will have a different opinion without presenting anything else. I see her being yanked back in as a good thing because it means Dredd thinks she has what it takes. The fact that he did this even though she technically failed means he sees something in her literally beyond the law, so we have to look at what she does outside of Dredd's standard operation procedure to find the difference.

Here I saw her abilities more as a metaphor for looking beyond the superficial "this person did a crime sentence them" to see the source of the problem. The movie plays this up regularly, most notably when they're just sort of arresting and bringing in Kay and his cohorts, but she goes the extra mile and always tries to extract information rather than retribution.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Not to drag the discussion on too long, but Black Ops 2 is endorsed by a war criminal.

Also the villain is a "hero of the 99% but the 99% are too stupid to realize that he's actually an evil terrorist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" When Black Ops 1 was first coming out it was thought that it was going to be kind of silly given the torture trailers and all the Cold War conspiracy stuff. After its release though and with Black Ops 2 they're literally this movie but serious.

Which makes this movie's failure at the box office even more sad. Like The Raid or The Dirty Dozen it can be enjoyed on the level or watching badasses destroying bad guys or on a different level equally. I can't think of anyone I know regardless of their preferences that wouldn't enjoy this film. But the name having 3D in it, the bland as hell posters that were everywhere, etc. made certain that no one would give it a second though, in NYC especially it just sort of blends in to the generic sci-fi ads for stuff that are everywhere all the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

Suicide was originally illegal, so Dredd would put himself at considerable risk to arrest would-be (or actual) jumpers. At some point the law was changed; this being Mega-City One, mass suicides became an organised sport. There was a reference in one strip to the "Busby Berkeley block-leap championship." :v:

Wasn't A Wreckless Disregard for Gravity and its sequel inspired by this with its protesters/fans and such?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That review seems more out of touch than malicious. New Yorkers and residents of the US in general that I made watch the movie caught all the satire immediately (I mean they LITERALLY use the same drones we use now to watch the future version of east coast US, the classroom interrogation etc., the very constant surveillance everywhere). The critic obviously notices the dark sense of humor but doesn't catch on to how laser focused it is on the US government in particular. The message and themes of the movie are pretty obvious so, not being fully aware of how truly stupid and corrupt many city municipalities in the US are I can understand it seeming like a pointless message. So an average movie that looks and sounds great, gives it a slightly above average score.

Also how does this guy rate things? I've seen some rate descriptions where the critic gives a 2/4 to something that's good but pure genre, not particularly interesting, anything above transcends the genre and is worth a watch to some extent.

The score does surprise me somewhat though, reminds me of all the marketing dictated video game review scores where a critic may gush endlessly about the game in the body of the review, then give it a middling or below average score. The reverse happening just as often.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

etalian posted:

It's another reference to the comics since the Judges use a nastier version of tear gas called Sturmm gas which may or may not have horrible side effects on the perps such as 1/250 death chance.

That 1/250th of the population will be remembered fondly for their sacrifice in maintaining the law. Move along, citizen.

You're both right though, the stronger Sturmm in and of itself is definitely based on mustard gas (especially the way it's still fully for some time even after human senses can no longer perceive it in the area), which, like a lot of stuff in real life that's inspired sci-fi, is significantly more debilitating and deadly than the stuff in the comics. I forget which issue/whatever, but there's a point where the sturmm gas in the comics is even criticized for being "typical Soviet garbage."

The Sturmm name itself is definitely a reference to Sturm Handel, a military surplus shop where you'd get gas masks/etc. that was started in Germany in 1971.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 17, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zzulu posted:

What are all the other countries up to in the Dredd world? Do they also employ Judges? Are they also mostly wastelands? Does Dredd ever travel to the UK :v:

Most of the world is wasteland but there are Mega-Cities set up basically around where the major cities of the world were before the war. In one of the comics (I am so rusty forgive me Dredd super fans :) ) it's shown that "wars" for land and their remaining resources are fought via the Olympics. So instead of fielding an army corporate/government sponsors field a force of say seven super soldiers vs. the opposing country's small group, each armed with all the most advanced and ruthless prototype weaponry they can come up with.

Offtopic, but I've been playing this new game called Anarchy Reigns. The tone is very silly but the setting is basically less a game and more a Cursed Earths simulator with different gangs outside of the major cities, mutants, etc. Might be worth checking out.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 17, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

How much the husk of that dude's melted head?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope they sell the phosphorus-trap phonebooth.

You notice the dummy isn't in it though, you open it up exclaiming "there's nothing here." Then the rest of your purchase arrives.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

http://www.geeknative.com/37289/judge-dredd-might-be-gay-but-are-fans-really-threatening-to-burn-the-comic/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's not there so we can see if the terminology of Mega City One is 1:1 accurate to the comics. It's there so we can see that Dredd leaves a guy destroyed by a car to his own device until help arrives instead of staying with him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

sometimes the second movie is pretty good, but then there's a super suckass third movie that spoils the whole thing and makes us feel bad for liking the first two. Let's just be happy we got to see a really cool movie.

I see we both bear the mark of the Phantasm fan. :|

To me the best "Dredd" video game would be a total conversion of like Watch Dogs, Arkham City or Crackdown or some other near-future open world game that already has exaggerated action and busting criminals violently as the focus of the game.

Right now the best Dredd games are the choose your own adventure one on iOS and Rebellion's FPS. The latter mainly because one of the coop modes in it is literally Left 4 Dead except only headshots permanently kill them and the game came out five years prior.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

etalian posted:

Sort of like his clever phone booth ambush since he knew Ma-Ma would desperate to take advantage of a obvious "mistake".

I also like how Anderson falls for the oldest distraction trick in the book but Dredd doesn't when they finally confront Ma-Ma.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

etalian posted:

Despite being visually closer to the comics the Stallone Dredd missed the thematic elements and atmosphere.

Even Stallone was aware of this, there's an interview somewhere where he's flabbergasted that they made all these super convincing cyberpunk dystopian sets that you only see in the movie for like ten seconds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Maybe Stallone Dredd and Urban Dredd are just alternate universe Dredds.

Maybe Dredd 2012 is just a comic book in the Stallone Dredd universe. Sylvester Stallone in JOSEPH DREDD: Attacking 2015.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

It's like Seven Samurai if the villagers were the bandits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nha8ICFYMzs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

In a broader sense, you could criticize the system for allowing such a situation to happen in the first place: in an ideal world criminal gangs should never be powerful and bold enough to fight cops. But you can't use that to bash Dredd for defending himself when placed in mortal danger.

I think this entire opening was misread by a lot of people. It's not about "is it self defense or not that Dredd chased drug addicts or incinerated a hostage taker's head." It's that if Dredd actually stopped to see that their hit and run victim was tended to instead of giving further chase no one else would have even died. If it wasn't a given that the penalty for using slowmo was pretty serious no one would have died at all. Even Equilibrium got this right when they say outright that following the law above all else even in regards to human life is just vigilantism and mayhem rather than justice, creating more violence than it stops.

The judge system in Dredd has created the gangs because by valuing the law for the law's sake people know that in the eyes of their rulers, they're worthless. There's a reason the gun is called a lawgiver and not a peacemaker like the weapons of the dimestore western heroes and vigilante stories that inspired Dredd in the first place. Anderson's ability (which in real life terms is more just "look at the big picture and ask people why they're angry instead of murdering them on site"), that empathic temperance, makes them a perfect team. Dredd slowly starts to realize this throughout the course of the movie so we see the same guy from the beginning of the film stunning some kids in self defense instead of blowing them apart* and letting that cyber-eyed hacker live.

*Yes I know in the comics you can't execute kids and there are juve cubes but I'm just looking at the film itself (and also there is no stun setting in comic lawgiver).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The low budget didn't show for me at either. You can tell they threw a lot of money at the sound production. Not just the soundtrack but the actual sound effects, all the ambient stuff going on, it's really incredible and probably one of the best sounding movies I've heard in recent times. Even in really basic stuff like "the camera is in one place as Dredd walks down a hallway and nothing happens" you can hear every little creak of his uniform, people slinking around off camera, it really sells the setting. They were also smart to use mostly practical effects for the violence with the CG just aiding with blood splatters and the more ultra-violent moments like Anderson blowing that dude's head off towards the end.

They also did a great job of putting a cowardly piss yellow tinged color (via props, piping in the background, etc.) into every moment where Dredd is being "badass." Even the Halls of Justice or whatever has that giant yellow eagle on it. It's genuinely impressive to me how visually and aurally textured and focused the movie is compared to most sci-fi stuff that comes out now. It's pretty good on Netflix but if you have a blu-ray player or ever get a home theater set up I feel like this is the new Blade Runner in that this is what you get to show people how much money you blew on speakers and a big screen.

Marketing New Brain posted:

The thing that is never explored is Judge loving Dredd. I mean they specifically wrote a scene where they have a psychic probe him and then basically wink at you and go, "Haha just kidding that doesn't matter, here's some more exposition about the world in which we live and our hosed up orphanages which are farms for our police force."

I loved reading complaints about this. It's on par with how over everyone's heads it went in Prometheus which features an all knowing flawless android that is immediately and explicitly able to read and comprehend everything that is going on, but contrary to all other science-fiction that exists none of the characters ask him what's up so he doesn't explain anything to them or the audience. I'm sure some viewers were expecting Anderson to tell Dredd his life story at some point or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

But compared to any non-scifi show, it's and extra expense every episode. Anytime they have to show a CGI skyline they either have to reuse footage or spend more money. If it goes the super procedural route, like CSI, they might be able to pull it off, because you save a bunch of money by having 95% of scenes take place on the same set.

I think you're underestimating the extensive use of green screened sets on tv and over estimating the cost. To use your own example, any time they're outside in CSI New York or Law and Order there's extensive green screening used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Also note all the usual tricks are used to keep the action scenes shown in the trailer inexpensive: Only two or three people actually on screen at once so they don't have to make as many costumes, lots of "let's move away from or talk about that huge battle instead of showing it," etc. I mean yeah obviously there's a bigger budget to initially make all the fancy pants outfits, future technology stuff, etc. but it's definitely doable.

Other than that though, agreed, this looks awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

His scowl is definitely meant for amusement and black humor rather than being meant to be uber-serious. I love when they're investigating the three skinned murder victims towards the beginning. Dredd himself isn't really the focus on the scene but while they're discussing the situation Anderson says "I don't know" and Dredd scowls just a little deeper, like he's not even totally in the shot but it it's there before she even finished the sentence and always makes me smile.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gonna buy like ten and give them to all my folks for Christmas and even my wife for her birthday despite already having the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Don't forget a Megacity 1 piracy warning.

"Citizen, the illegal replication of any part of this film is a crime. The sentence is death. That is all."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

He spoke about it a convention I went to a while ago - basically, he said the movie that was planned and the movie that ended up in cinemas were two rather different things.

edit: Something I was curious about - have you guys found it common for people to respond to being told about Dredd with "Oh, so they did a sequel to/remake of that crappy Stallone movie?"

Only along the lines of "Well yeah at least it's probably better than the Stallone movie," even amongst the most casual moviegoers I know. People remember the 90s Dredd but the idea that the two are directly related beyond the characters doesn't seem to be a thing outside of people on internet forums assuming this is what people think. The Stallone production was horrible overall but I think the bad marketing and odd release in Europe (wasn't there some situation where the distributor chose to only have it play in a very expensive 3D version there with no 2D option which made it flop even harder than in the US?) hurt the movie more than comparisons to the 1995 adaptation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Demolition Man is literally a better Stallone Dredd movie than the real Stallone Dredd movie.

Stallone Dredd has some incredible leaps of logic in its story and characters that the script doesn't work with at all. It's worth watching to laugh at only after the almost good opening.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

As someone who grew up reading Dredd comics, Stallones Dredd did everything loving wrong. I never understand anyone who says different.

The soundtrack especially was so overly heroic. It was good but totally off for the character. Weirdly Jerry Goldsmith did some music for all the early preview and teaser trailer stuff and that sounded much more appropriate, had a good sense of urgency to it. I think Stallone himself mentioned the sets too. He hated how they had these freaking amazing Mega City One streets sets and extras that were super convincing and awesome but ended up only using them in the film for like one minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7SPZshLlM

Best scene is the one where Armand Assante and Stallone angrily talk about the past for like ten minutes without actually divulging any information about anything while Joan Chen look on, visibly embarrassed to be involved in the production. It was almost Lynchian. Also Armand Assante able to walk around shooting people and no on cares. Able to shoot and bomb his way out of a prison and no one cares, etc.

One good thing did come out of the movie though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still think the best thing about the Stallone movie is that Rico violently, bombastically escapes from prison and no one gives a poo poo.

• Locked thread