Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just got this on Blu-Ray today. Cant wait to see it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

keep punching joe posted:

I hope we get the proper Judges uniform in the sequel (if it ever happens). Even if it is too corny for the screen, it would work as some sort of Judges dress uniform.

You do realise that this uniform we see is the original Dredd uniform we got in '77 right?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Another Person posted:

That is the best news you could hope for with this movie. Hopefully it pushes it over the 50$mil profits the movie needs for a sequel. I still need to buy my copy.

Please buy it.. dont borrow it from a friend, just buy it.

For some reason, this is a film no one saw at the cinema, but are all buying on dvd /blu ray. Weird. Maybe its a Brit thing and everyone knows of dredd in one form or another.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a Brit, I loved the Brit Cit stories.

Mega-City One.. but in Britain.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Any thoughts on the Dredd OST? I don't think I have ever listened to anything that has inspired me to want to bring hard justice to my town like this before.
Its a really good OST, I am incredibly impressed with this. Unlike most OST's this will get lots of listens.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I notice there is a FB page to bring back Dredd.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Kegluneq posted:

Which Facebook group in particular are we talking about? I only see the basic movie one.

https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel?fref=ts

Make a Dredd Sequel its called.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Come on people, its for a good cause!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Karl mentions a sequel...

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9759/dredd-takes-steps-toward-sequel.html

"Dredd" could score a sequel thanks to strong home video sales and an enthusiastic critical response, according to actor Karl Urban.

Having starred as law enforcer Judge Dredd in the 2012 sci-fi film, Urban said that he has met with writer-producer Alex Garland and they are actively exploring the possibility of a sequel.

"It's certainly my hope that we get to make more … clearly it has found an audience," Urban said during a Comic-Con International press event on Friday that included Airlock Alpha. "The home video sales for 'Dredd' just went through the roof. I think it sold 650,000 units in the first week."

However, the film only earned about $36 million at the box office on an estimated budget of $45 million. That had initially derailed any hopes of a sequel.

"It's amazing how these things occurred," Urban said. "Not to compare it directly to 'Blade Runner,' but when 'Blade Runner' came out it was a film that didn't necessarily do what you thought that it should have done at the box office. I feel the same way about 'Dredd.' The reviews were overwhelmingly fantastic … but for whatever reason it didn't do the box office numbers that it should have."

Now Urban is seeking fan support to help make the sequel a reality.

"I think the more people that campaign for it, the more people that email, Twitter and write into Lionsgate and say 'We want to see more of this,' then the more likelihood is that we'll get to see that. We certainly are doing everything we can to ensure that happens."

"Dredd" was a British-South African production directed by Pete Travis ("Vantage Point," "Endgame") and written and produced by Garland ("Sunshine"). It also starred Rachel Wood, Olivia Thirlby, Wood Harris and Lena Headey.

The film is based on a British comic series that first appeared in 1977. Created by John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra, the comic centers on a law enforcement officer with the power to arrest, sentence and terminate criminals on the spot for a futuristic city overrun by violence.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

John Dough posted:

I rewatched the movie recently and caught that the main mercenary Judge's name is Lex. Dredd literally Fought The Law (and lost). Dredd's strict brand of law enforcement needed Anderson's slightly more tolerant approach to get out alive. I'd have to watch it again some time to get more out of it, but there's definitely some subtext going on there.

For those that don't know, Lex is latin for Law.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have that classic strip where Dredd punches Stallone Dredd in the face saying something like 'I would never take my helmet off'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

And how!

Hahaha holy poo poo this is why I have always loved Dredd.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea not quite the same because Dredd was more like The Raid where he's going in to enemy territory and gets trapped. This was more Die Hard because terrorists came in and took hostages.

Actually I believe that The Raid plot was a complete ripoff from Dredd, it just came out first!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

I think it is a combination of EXTREMELY good costume on Dredd's part (the military/biker heavy leathers) and Urban adding a feeling of weight and tiredness to everything he does. Dredd does everything in a slow paced but deliberate manor of a experienced professional that has seen it all before and does't waste any movement.

Plus a lot of Urbans poses where taken straight out of classic, early Judge Dredd. The Judge Dredd the costume was based on.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

It never really feels like Dredd is threatened and as a result the stakes in the action scenes are kind of low. The glittery slow motion effects seem like they kind of mask how banal a lot of the action actually is. Every scene pretty much amounts to Dredd walking in and blowing everybody away with his gun.

Sure the 'bad judges' show up at the end but they have basically zero characterization and are dispatched quickly.

This really just feels like a regular day for the protagonist, as though this is the kind of thing he does all the time and isn't a big deal to him.

This is the whole point of Dredd and how he has always been written as a caricature of extreme fascism. This really is a normal day for him and the reason why the stakes seem low is because that's how he has always been written. The whole point of Dredd (especially in his really early stories) wasn't the danger he was in, but how much of a bastard he was at delivering justice.

Notice how in the film, Dredds facial expressions and attitude and personality are completely ridiculous and over the top while everyone else in the film are completely normal. Dredd is a satire of himself.

Dredd isn't a hero to root for, Dredd is a voyeuristic parody we watch/read to see how inhumanly he dispatches the criminals/victims in the name of the law.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

PassTheRemote posted:

Because watching Karl Urban Dredd punch Stallone Dredd in the face would be a dream come true.

There is a panel of Dredd punching Stallone in the face saying something like he would never take his helmet off, but I can never find it. I think it got pulled for copywright?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Cream_Filling posted:

Also in the comic, at least some of the time, I think part of the joke is that the life of a typical (or maybe idealized) law-abading citizen is pretty much the same sitting in an iso-cube versus sitting around bored and unemployed watching tv in their tiny apartments.

Wasn't that the point of the Futies? People who just couldnt hack living in the future and went crazy? Even though, they really wouldn't be living in the future, they would be living in their present. :shrug:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

VincentPrice posted:

I disagree. Dredd passed her because he saw her as a full Judge when she let the hacker guy go. She realizes there's more to judging than just executing perps, it's also about protecting the innocent. She takes charge as a Judge for the first time in that scene, and that's also when he starts calling her Anderson instead of rookie.

That's a good point and I never picked up on that, and ive seen the film quite a lot. Excellent touch.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I feel it was more to do with the fact that at that point Dredd had learned to trust Andersons psychic ability and accepted her judgement because if it was left to just his judgement he would have ISO'd him.

*EDIT* Not oonly did he accept her as a psychic, he accepted her as a 'mutie'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

KoRMaK posted:

Gotta be an april fools day thing. But I like the exposure and I think they did it unironically.

So amazon should produce the next Dredd. Lets start a whitehouse.gov petition for that.

It is definitely not an April Fools joke. I have been voting on this from the Make A Dredd Sequel FB page.

Heres a link for good Dredd info https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel?fref=ts

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As someone who grew up reading Dredd comics, Stallones Dredd did everything loving wrong. I never understand anyone who says different.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vagabundo posted:

I'm rather glad they changed the ending from what was in the script. The scripted one would've made me a bit uncomfortable.

Ma-Ma, who is scripted as being a rather portly woman, gets the jump on Anderson and Dredd when they clear her room by jumping through a ceiling mirror. Anderson takes a couple of hits. Dredd disarms Ma-Ma by tearing the gun out of her hands with so much force that it breaks her fingers, and proceeds to batter the poo poo out of her before giving her a dose of Slo-Mo, judging her and then executing her by punching her in the face so hard she goes through the window and falls to her death.

If Ma Ma does a mans job then she should be expected to be judged like a man

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Maybe its just me, but I always thought deserts were orange and skies were blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Water it's blue because water absorbs all other colours except blue so that's what's reflected. Not the reflection of the sky, that's just moronic.

• Locked thread