Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Daily Mail calling a Judge Dredd movie a fascistic bore is literally the most perfect response I could imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ghostwritingduck posted:

If the producers kept the budget small enough, I could see a sequel being given the go ahead depending on how this does over the next year of rentals/purchases.

That's all well and good, but the issue here is that we already know exactly what this movie needs to do to get a sequel and the plans for the sequel and it doesn't seem like either are going to be feasible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It doesn't get released here until near the end of October.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Payndz posted:

[Judge Bloggs sees his friend, Judge Exley]
Bloggs: Hi, Ex!
[An hour later, there's an unfortunate case of overkill and the SJS are called in]

Why did Judge Exley throw Rolo Tomasi out of the window instead of just shooting him later?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Didn't Call of Duty full on endorse torture a few instalments ago?

One or two of them did.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I saw this film today and it was a cool, hour and a half film which I am perfectly happy with never seeing a sequel featuring Judge Death to it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I live in Australia and I saw posters, tv spots, trailers, advertising plastered all across youtube, etc. etc. for about a month leading up to release.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I didn't get to see Dredd is theaters,

That's a shame, cinema surround sound does wonders for the scenes of people getting skinned.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

It doesn't matter anyway. Dredd and Anderson wiped out the gang by themselves, and they didn't need to interrogate Kay to do that because Ma-Ma decided to come gunning for him, giving them all the pretext they needed.

Ma-Ma came gunning for Dredd and Anderson because if she killed Dredd and Anderson there wouldn't be anyone to take Kay in and thus her empire wouldn't fall.

It's a long-shot, but the alternative is that she let's them take someone who would roll on her and cause the Judges to come back specifically for her instead of just investigating Dredd and Anderson's deaths.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ma-Ma is willing to pay the corrupt Judges millions to cover it up for her, if she's got a death wish and wants to go out gloriously, it's not reflected in the film.

She goes out of her way to constantly cover up the actions going on in Peach Trees, if she wanted a glorious battle, she could have just left the place opened up and not initiated the security lockdown.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

massive spider posted:

Its not going out gloriously if you don't actually try to put up a good fight. Its not an inconsistent interpretation of the character and her placidness when shes finally beaten.

There's a difference between someone who's been in the game a long time knowing when their time is up and someone assuming their time is up and deciding to go out like a Viking.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

They're played for laughs and like most such team-ups, are not canon to either side.

That's not true. Every single Judge Dredd cross-over is 'canon' to Judge Dredd. Those things actually happened and those Batman crossovers had some reasonably major plot points for Dredd's universe in them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

Name one.

Sure. The climax of the first crossover; Judgement on Gotham is what sets up the following stories featuring Judge Death and the idea of having Judge Anderson imprison his spirit inside herself is where that originates. In later stories, Dredd recalls his trip to Gotham and the 'Gotham clown' he fought there.

Die Laughing, the fourth crossover they had, is what caused Anderson to come out of retirement and killed off a prominent character or two.

Similarly, crossover storylines with Dark Horse and the Alien and Predator properties had several characters die during the events, which are still referenced and have had follow-up mentions and events happen because of them, including the creation of characters who are still around today.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Baron, you're beautiful, but this has to stop.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zzulu posted:

What are all the other countries up to in the Dredd world? Do they also employ Judges? Are they also mostly wastelands? Does Dredd ever travel to the UK :v:

Australia is a cool, chill place and the Dredd character there told Dredd to gently caress off for being such a crazy wierdo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I wonder if now that we see the items actually being sold all this "this means for sure there's no sequel" talk will stop. I doubt they were going to need that picture of the girl with her dead husband and baby in a sequel, for some reason.

Wait, what, because the props are being sold off the people saying there's not going to be a sequel are wrong? What?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Given that wronging Ma-ma tends to end with getting skinned I'm going to say one of the former, if anything.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

wyoming posted:

In the movie, they were arresting people for the crime of bullet time.
It is very silly.

Bullet Crime.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

effectual posted:

Don't do the bullet crime if you can't do the bullet time.

I think we have the tag-line for our spec script.

EDIT: I'd like to think that 'isocubes' is a portmanteau that anyone could parse and probably figure out what they mean from the implication.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Wagner once said that Dredd has developed over the years, but at a glacial pace (it maybe simply be because the writers would otherwise get really bored). If you read some old comics from the 80s and compare them with comics from the 00s, you'd say "yeah, there something different about him".

Dredd's a pretty vastly different character from his earlier publishing history and his attitudes and characterization have changed with almost every major storyline.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you're going to Judge Death, but you intend to turn it into some grim and gritty 'believable' take on the concept, then just don't do Judge Death.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

The problem with the O/B in FR is that they crank up the O/B saturation well over what is naturally there. It's beyond obnoxious, its abusive. Take a quick google image search on Mad Max and you will see how asinine the colour pallet is.

It's beautiful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, yeah, the free encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit. Nice try, troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SimonChris posted:

There are plenty of links to authoritative sources in the article. Here is one from a scientific journal: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm.

Sergei N. Smirnov and Charles L. Braun are clearly made up names and that article is from 1993, before the internet even existed.

• Locked thread