Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AccountSupervisor posted:

I wouldn't say its bad, but its not enough to sell me on the character and comes off as pretty bland. Its pretty important for a trailer to get the viewer interested in the main character of which the title of the film is named after.

I feel like you are completely disregarding that there will be other characters interacting with Dredd and thus enabling us to get a better feel for him. That female Judge in the trailer seems to lose her helmet early on and I find it likely that we will see and connect to Dredd through her, so having him remove his helmet wont be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

She does not wear a helmet. She is a physic and the helmet interferes with her ability.

I'm not very familiar with the source material beyond the basics, would she be suitable as a character the audience can connect to in the way AccountSupervisor talks about? Kind of like this movie's Rob Schneider?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Joe's helmet is over-sized because it has grids of coloured LEDs behind the visor that digitally show his emotional state in the form of emoticons.

During his journey into the block he'll pass a party in an apartment where Deadmau5 and Daft Punk are DJing.

Judging by this

his emotional state is never not :saddowns:

Wait, Judge Dredd's first name is Joe? Joe Dredd?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

He's got a sort of X over his visor. Don't they obscure his eyesight?

Not if he looks like this underneath the helmet:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Christmas Miracle posted:

yeah, i wasn't saying that dredd was trying to save him from the blast door. I'm saying that dredd noticing that someone is breaking the law, then offering to let them go is compassionate. In other words, dredd wants to enforce the law because he thinks it will help megacity one, but he's willing to refrain from enforcing the law if he doesn't think it will really help. My guess about why he approached the guy in the first place instead of ignoring him is because he's loitering and violating safety regulations by sitting in the door, not because he thinks the door will close soon.

It was pointed out before: He didn't spare the guy, Anderson did. Dredd pointed him out to her and basically said "Here is a lawbreaker, you almost missed him" and she goes ":rolleyes: didn't we want to investigate a murder, sir?"

If the movie really would have wanted to go for the jugular Dredd would have said gently caress Murder and taken the time to send the guy to the IsoCubes. But this is another case where the movie makes us chuckle and marvel at how 'compassionate' Dredd/Anderson are, with the added irony that their compassion gets the guy killed anyway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

OK, so we agree at least that Dredd and Anderson were justified in defending themselves. Now, let's move on to the broader picture.

How exactly does the movie make the point that Dredd is no different to Ma-Ma? Instead of accusing me of ignorance, show me what I've been overlooking. Give me a bullet list of plot points. And be prepared to have me pick apart your points.

The way I see it there are whole pages dedicated to providing you with these points, with you picking them apart by saying "I didn't see that, I was too busy focusing on the movie".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I should note that Dredd himself is not corrupt. He doesn't take bribes or engage in other misconduct. He's honest and a good judge by MC1 standards.

The trick is to realize that MC1 standards are loving terrible.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

So you are saying MC1 would be Utopia if it weren't for the lack of manpower?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Dredd's actions are not to be celebrated, but they cannot be condemned either. He pretty much does what he has to do.

Why does he have to do it?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Mostly survival.

That comes when he enters Peach Trees. Why does he go there? Why does he put on the uniform?

You still haven't answered whether you think Mega City 1 would be Utopia if it just had a billion more Judges.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

PerfectTommy posted:

Bad guys throw a guy off a balcony, murdering him.

Good guy throws a guy off a balcony, enforcing the law.

Subtle.

The first makes it clear that these are the bad guys to begin with.

The second makes people fistpump.

Yeah, actually I'd say it's pretty subtle.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

"Reckless driving"? Bit of un understatement - they splattered a dude all over the road and attempted to kill Dredd, while driving high on drugs, then the last of them took a hostage and held a gun to her head.

They did that because Dredd was chasing them. But I guess Dredd was chasing them out of self-defense, too?

Coming back to the white phosphorus-trap, what would have stopped Dredd to make Ma-Ma and her cronies believe he spoke through the Intercom from the cellar? He was obviously able to rig it so that they believed he was at X location, why didn't he just send those guys all the way down and then marched up to Ma-Ma whistling a tune while they searched Level 0 for him?

Oh that's right, he had to defend himself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

For some reason they didn't want to pull over to the side and stop. Maybe because they had guns, drugs, and prior offenses.

That's beside the point. You said they were a danger therefore Dredd had to stop them. But we only saw them becoming a danger when Dredd started chasing them. Dredd didn't chase them because they ran over a jaywalker, they ran over a jaywalker because Dredd was chasing them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

catch22 posted:

They could of...I don't know...pulled over?

If a cop goes to pull me over for reckless driving and instead I speed up and run someone over is it the cop's fault or mine?

It was said already, but the punishment they would have faced would have likely been ridiculously high. This is even made clear on a textual level during Dredd's "negotiation" with the last remaining guy. He simply has no incentive to comply because every outcome seems equally lovely for him. So better risk it and try outrunning a Judge than being sentenced to ten billion years on the Isocubes for "Is that slo mo I smell? STEP OUT OF THE CAR"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

To me it just boiled down to the gangsters being objectively bad, the judges are fascists and are also bad, but the Judges are more sympathetic due to their intentions in the context of the film.

Really? Because to me it seemed like the movie went out of its way to show that they weren't. There was one gangster who clearly was part of the gang for the sake of his wife and little baby, there was fabulous hair-dude, there was Robot Eye Geek. There were so many instances where it was shown that the inhabitants of Peach Trees in general were victims that I'm quite frankly puzzled how one could reach the conclusion that they are objectively bad.

Take the Gatling Gun scene. The best way to escape such kind of butchery is to be behind the gun. Hoping that a Judge will settle things before you get horrifically killed is not the way to go in MC1, unless you are one of the happy 6%, and even those aren't always happy to meet a Judge, as can be seen in the Food Court scene.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Like are we trying to really have a debate over the idea that there may be some redeemable/admirable qualities to criminals and their situations may be forced on them? That police may be well intention-ed but bring about more violence and misery in pursuit of their goals? Like that might be a really obvious core theme of the movie and pretty common observation about real life as well?

Holy moly.

I'd go one step further and say the police isn't well intentioned. Dredd at least is only interested in upholding The Law and dealing out Justice, and his efforts are mostly separated from the subjects he's dealing out the justice to. That's what makes it a satire.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I would have expected that to Dredd, all crime is serious.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Some people on this thread are scandalized by the fact that cops will chase down criminals, that some criminals will do their utmost to avoid their punishment (sometimes for even minor things), and that there might be short-term risks to the public and the cops involved in pursuing criminals.

This is a terrible straw man. Nobody thinks criminals should get away, all of what you claim has been discussed in the context of the movie and as per usual you're either too thick to get it or are trolling.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Riso posted:

At the end, it's very effective city wide, because they just stopped THE drug lab producing slo-mo.

There are a lot of indications that there are other drug labs out there. Slo Mo is a new drug spreading fast, but closing it down just means people will continue using the drugs Slo Mo would have replaced.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Dredd considers every citizen in Meg to be a potential criminal but the drones don't mean anything. They might have lots of drones because they're cheaper than helicopters so they can afford to have lots in the air all the time.

It's still pretty amazing to me how you can just go out and say "That thing that was featured in the movie doesn't have any meaning, it's there because Real World Reasons and clearly this movie aimed at maximum realism :downs:". And then you make claims about the levels of symbolism in the movie. Simply amazing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

There are... hints of satire here and there but nothing substantial. There is a backdrop of dystopia, but the dystopia is never examined, it is merely an excuse for crazy action sequences. We shown a lawman who has the power to judge and sentence people on the spot, but the implications of this are not explored.

It's explored in that there are mountains of corpses after he went on a routine mission, and the most telling sign of satire is that you're championing his actions as justified in a weird circular way because he has the Right to do so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

It's really funny that you present an article as evidence that your reading of the movie is the most correct one, and the quote you choose from the article to support your claim starts with "I mean, it’s subjective, right?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Well he apparently didn't even read it because when a quote was pointed out that contradicts him, he just said "oh, well ,guess that settles it." Good for him I guess for not just cherrypicking specific quotes that fit his argument.

As I read it he finally admits that there actually is real satire in the movie, since now that the director has said so it is definitely true. It's just not the kind he wanted, whatever that means.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment and okay for you." I loved that robot.

MrBling posted:

If you're really itching to watch a good 90s Stallone action movie, I would go for Demolition Man every time.

Stallone Dredd has some very pretty sets though.

I watched Demolition Man a dozen times before Stallone's Dredd came out to pass the time, and after I had watched Dredd I just went back and watched Demolition Man another dozen times.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They did, three times!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

I'm rather glad they changed the ending from what was in the script. The scripted one would've made me a bit uncomfortable.

Ma-Ma, who is scripted as being a rather portly woman, gets the jump on Anderson and Dredd when they clear her room by jumping through a ceiling mirror. Anderson takes a couple of hits. Dredd disarms Ma-Ma by tearing the gun out of her hands with so much force that it breaks her fingers, and proceeds to batter the poo poo out of her before giving her a dose of Slo-Mo, judging her and then executing her by punching her in the face so hard she goes through the window and falls to her death.

This would have worked fabulously with the Fist Of Dredd-quote.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Hell no, I love it when the climactic battle happens somewhere north of 20 stories and you know some motherfucker's taking a dive through the plate glass.

That this did not happen was by far the worst thing about the new RobCop.

KoRMaK posted:

I didn't even think of that as a theme, but now I'm trying to think of others.

Die Hard

Batman 89

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Batman Returns. Not climactic but still.

Also Batman Forever. What is it with Batman and heights?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't know, what is it with the guy who dresses like a flying creature that hangs upside down from the ceiling with the avowed intent of terrorising people and heights?

Yeah maybe I should have asked what's with Batman's villains and heights, since they're the ones that constantly go "Batman will never catch me up here, mwahaha!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GORDON posted:

It's been a while since I saw Doom but I remember the movie having a very low opinion of the military people that were sent in to investigate. Weren't they all either evil, cowards, drug addicts, or a combination of those? That's a hell of an elite team they got there.

It struck me as a failed attempt to establish them in a similar manner to the team from Predator, just that the result was more like Predators.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...it kinda did ditch a very large amount of the games' premise.

In the game, the basic idea is that a lab on Mars was working on FTL tech or something like that and accidentally opened a portal to Hell, causing demons to spill out and kill the poo poo out of everybody. Your marine lives somehow, and as the sole survivor, it's his job to clean the place out and close the portal. A "real" Doom movie would play out pretty much like The Raid as done by Clive Barker, instead of what we got (which ditched the religious horror angle entirely and played out like a decentish Aliens clone).

Or Event Horizon, but halfway through Laurence Fishburne goes "I've had it with these motherfucking demons on this motherfucking ship" and then he shoots everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

Phenomenology.

• Locked thread