Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lotish posted:

Opening felt a bit weedy but the movie built up nicely.
Not sure what weedy means. I loved the intro, the visuals and the narration were precisely appropriate. Are you sure you had your speakers properly calibrated to "loud n' bassy" ?

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't count how many friends have come up to me separately and basically said SO I WATCHED THIS MOVIE LAST NIGHT THAT WAS REALLY GOOD, I WOULD HAVE NEVER IMAGINED, GUESS WHAT IT WAS. And I just go uhhh Dredd? And their mind is blown.
I wish more of my friends and co-workers did this :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Besides, to the Judges, an overdue library book is a significant breach of the Law and needs to be taken as seriously as murder even if the punishment is not as harsh.
Well no because wouldn't they prioritize their responses (loitering guy at beginning of movie)? So I'd guess that there is always something more important going on.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wyoming posted:

In the movie, they were arresting people for the crime of bullet time.
It is very silly.
I feel like this is a joke, but I can't resist pointing out The War On Drugs(tm) like Kegluneq did.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tripwyre posted:

The satire is that the erratic driving and shooting out the window at the Judge pursuing them was already putting countless lives at risk, but Dredd doesn't bother to take an aggressive "I'm taking them down!" approach until they've actually killed someone.
Yea I was thinking that too. What about all those cars they shot up?

Maybe the academy teaches judges, as part of their judiciary power of interpreting the law, a sort of institutionalized corruption. Make the report sound the best for stacking up as much charges against the suspect as possible.

It's interesting as gently caress though that someone here pointed out "jaywalking, not looking both ways, etc" because until this thread I didn't make that connection relative to how it was any different than the vagrant.

e: Actually I guess it's not that different than present day Police in the US.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 19, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

I knew he was Eomer before he was cast as Dredd, and I was very dubious - I honestly didn't believe he had the chin for it. Dude must have been lifting weights with his mandible for weeks.
Weirdest critique ever, but I was disappointed with Urban's jaw line. His throat skin looked a little too loose, like his body fat percentage was too high for someone as fit as Dredd. I feel like such a douche for saying that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Saw this film finally, and although the action was a little underwhelming, I loved the characters. I'm not familiar with the comics but the idea of Dredd never growing up, never growing a heart and never learning a life lesson is wonderfully hilarious to me. At first I thought it was a mistake that Anderson was the one with all the struggle and drama, but in hindsight it was more clever that she has the major character arc and Dredd doesn't. Her psychic powers allow her to have sympathy for the criminals and be aware of extenuating circumstances, etc... her becoming "aware" of criminals' situations automatically gives her a better appreciation of justice for them. Totally the opposite of Dredd and it's incredible how these two opposites are paired together.
I specifically liked it because they never tried to grow Dredd as a character. They never over-extended him. Anderson definitely filled the void if you need that, but I could just watch movie after movie of Dredd citing law and gassing creeps. There is so much emotion around him, and that is why the world is so perverted, that him not having much emotion is what makes him unique. So the rest of the world actually could fill the emotional void left by Dredd as he tries to be as impartial as possible. As soon as they try to "grow" Dredd, that means the whole motivation for the movie production has been tainted by execs yelling "SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL" and the awesomeness will be lost. This movie did such a good job at staying right where it needed to be and dodged so many of the things that ruin good plots. This can be all summed up (for me) by one thing: Urban never took off the mask. Most movies and hell even the actor and his agents would want their face to be seen, but in doing so that is a meta-movie move. It's a marketing gimmick for the actor playing the role. Instead they never had Urban do that, which just speaks so much to how well produced this movie was. Dredd didn't need to take off the mask at any point. In fact it would be a bad idea because it would make him vulnerable, and I'm sure Dredd knows this very well. Did you guys notice the graze marks on the side of his helmet? I think they are from bullets.

I thought the city, vehicles and Dredd's bike were great too because they allude to a future that isn't all that different than ours. Great new technology, some lofty but ultimately failed goals, and things just always somehow stay the same, because humans are always the same.

Croisquessein posted:

I saw a hotdog stand in the food court and I'm not sure how they raise cattle or import meat when they're in a severely overpopulated city surrounded by desert and apparently cut off from other cities...

:gonk:

Oh god I went through the whole movie, a ba-jillion times, and didn't know what resyk meant. I thought it was like cremation or they would bring them back to life (I don't know I think some recent PS2 lore seeped in). RESYK IS PEOPLE!

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

You'll also need a brand specific transmitter for active shutter glasses.
Last time I quoted this for myself (a year or two ago) it would run me like $300 to get the shutter glasses and a monitor that could do 3D (already have a video card).

I feel like this time around 3D is going to stay because it is actually pretty good in the home. If shutter glasses get cheaper or they come out with a polarized monitor so that you could use passive 3D glasses would make it accessible to more than just enthusiasts.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress yea. I'll go see it twice if its good, in full IMAX 3D (even though it wasn't filmed in IMAX; only 3d) to make up for the first one I missed.

Probably a little early to get excited, but even when it was posted here that DVD sales wouldn't bring it back Its hard to take that as a permanent no. Urban states exactly how things can turn around, even when the people in charge say no.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked Dredd better than Iron Man 3, does anyone else agree?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dredd sequel villain right there.
No. Don't say that, the studio might get the wrong ideas.

There's alot more to see. Let's not get pigeonholed in PeachTree

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Luscious hair guy isn't chained to PeachTree. He's an idea, a wisp, a force of nature.

He is you and he is me.

He is the audience as we watch Dredd now, finally, on DVD and Bluray, instead of on the big screen; we stand outside of the theater where we totally didn't just see Dredd because we are idiots and there's lipstick smeared on our dumb lips and a fright wig on our head because of reasons.

Our eyes betray only a single thought. "drat. I wish I had had the foresight to know this movie wouldn't suck."
I might get this tattooed in cursive micro-text on my side.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

moths posted:

You could do a plausible Death story if you focus on the time he spends possesing people, or the suicide cults trying to bring him into the world.
Wow, awesome.

I wish that instead of reading the comics, I could get them motion-comic'ed, like what they did with Watchmen here: http://www.thewb.com/shows/watchmen-the-complete-motion-comic/chapter-1/3623217a-9341-4129-917e-99770d15c10e

That would really make my workdays go faster.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Well, it's not like making the movie more grounded made more people see it. It don't see why it could hurt to go full retard in the sequel.
Not in the theater, but it's why it has been killing in home sales.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

The disc sales were great though. I would not be shocked if the box office was pretty much all due to people thinking it was a sequel to the Stallone movie - maybe that association had been partly eroded by the time of the disc release?
"Dredd 3D... coming to theaters" -ugh another 3D upgrade cash grab. The stallone version sucked, now they are going to upgrade it to 3D?

Oh it's like a new movie or something. Who gives a crap, it's got that Stallone stink all over it.

*you or someone you know randomly watch it on a lark*
:tviv: You tell everyone that it's got nothing to do with the 90's version and to pretend that the one with Stallone and Dredd never occupied the same space in your mind.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Better make both versions then.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There are so many different ways to go, so my rule is now "whatever feels good."

Dredd 3D played the satire straight, which I think is why I like it so much.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress Karl Urban needs to get back into this role.

For halloween I want to go as a judge and with a badge that has my name across it. As a stretch goal I get 3 other friends to do the same and we go downtown together.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After reading some of the comics I think I like the movie version of Dredd better. The one in the comic would be the worst person to hang out with. The one in the movie at least seemed to grow a little and have some compassion for at least Anderson.

The comic Dredd is like a facist Flanders, and I'm Homer loving Simpson.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to see Dredd let loose in The Wire's season 3.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I prefer movies with lesser knowns. I didn't go see Dredd specifically because of the Judge Dredd one, I thought the new one was a cash in on an upgrade Judge Dredd 3D version.

But the lesser known the actors, the more the movie has to rely on story and I like good story.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Dredd is a vastly superior movie. Any sympathy I have for the 1995 film at all comes from nostalgia. However, I still think you're confusing causation and correlation here.
I was just speaking for myself. The lack of a big star probably played differently for the majority of movie goers.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

I love this movie so much. I need a sequel so I have more excuses to wear this:

Extra props for custom badge.

Can you share what supplies you used for the badge, helmet and outfit?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to see a Dredd game set in a GTA-ish engine where you get to see a lot more of the MC1 universe through missions based on issues from the comics.

Does anyone reading this want to help with 3D assets? I'll have the engine covered.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arschlochkind posted:

"When a lawbreaker enters society, society begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four perps on the edge of a cliff. Say sugar smuggled by the perp nearest the cliff is shipped to the back of the line of perps and ties him to the partners of the first perp. The formerly first perp implicates the second, the second implicates the third, and the fourth is shoved off the cliff.

Law works the same way."

Judge Dwedd, pwease! He had a famiwy!
I've been picking up on the very sparse and subtle humor in the comics. It took me until part 2 to finally start laughing everytime Call-Me-Kenneth spoke.

gently caress, mods please rename me to Call-Me-Goatse, thanks.

(I'm referring to the Walter written speech. I don't get how that anecdote ties anything to anyone.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 5, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

how dare you imply that the police could ever be the bad guys while doing good things like killing bad guys.
I thought what Baron was saying was left open to this?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think even that is being too generous.

Dredd (or rather, the Judge system) and Ma-Ma are morally interchangeable. There's literally no ethical difference in what they do. They impose order through violence and terror, positioning themselves as a necessary evil because the alternative is anarchy -- not out of good will, but because doing so maintains their power. The point of Peach Trees going on lockdown is that it temporarily reverses their roles -- suddenly, Ma-Ma is the "legitimate" authority in her own microcosm, and Dredd and Anderson are the criminals who are disrupting daily life.

The only real distinction between the two of them is that, in the long run, the Judges are a much bigger and more powerful gang.

I've been watching a lot of Adam Curtis docu's, like The Trap, which explains exactly this.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I have a feeling Dredd enforces OSHA guidelines.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

OK, so we agree at least that Dredd and Anderson were justified in defending themselves. Now, let's move on to the broader picture.

How exactly does the movie make the point that Dredd is no different to Ma-Ma? Instead of accusing me of ignorance, show me what I've been overlooking. Give me a bullet list of plot points. And be prepared to have me pick apart your points.

Baron Bifford posted:

OK, that's one point. We're getting somewhere. I can't argue that was needlessly cruel, even if it could be seen as poetic.
No, we don't have to cater to you. Please stop making this movie unfun. Sorry we can't provide you with a bulleted list of details. Maybe instead of that, you just watch it and make one yourself?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I wondered that too. Is it like how a Jedi isn't allowed to use a weapon other than their lightsaber?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Anderson's hair makes a helmet.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That trailer was a roller coaster. It started out and I was really digging it but then when the sassy rebellious android came into the picture I realized its just a dumb CSI buddy cop show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've been watching Almost Human, its got Karl Urban as the lead in it. The last couple two episodes have had some Dredd-isms in it. But I really want them to just dump any misguided hopes they have of this not being Dredd and just go "gently caress it, lets make Dredd the TV show." and drop the whole CSI-ish poo poo that plagues these kind of shows.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563480#i0,p0,d0

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I just watched the third episode of this show and it involved Dredd, I mean Urban, ascending a tall building controlled by gunmen with his rookie partner and without backup.
Other things I noticed:
-"Boring conversation anyway" (star wars but still)
-The interrogation scene was pretty similiar to when Avon was getting interviewed by Dredd

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

After reading the recent IDW recolourings of classic Dredd stories
What does IDW mean? Where can I find them? I have the case files, are they in there?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This may be the only time I ever say that I wouldn't mind a MLP crossover with something I like.

I'd like to see adults being weird creepy MLP fans outlawed in MC1 and Dredd cube each one he comes across.

Actually, no, nevermind. I'd rather not. Keep MLP out of anything I like.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Welcome to the Karl Urban Appreciation Center.

I keep watching Almost Human http://www.hulu.com/watch/600425

I also like to tweet @fox and the almost human producers and suggest that they just drop the pretense and turn Almost Human into a Dredd tv series. It's pretty close already, but it of course has to balance that schlocky CSI-ish poo poo. I also would have rather Donald Glover been the droid sidekick.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Plus a lot of Urbans poses where taken straight out of classic, early Judge Dredd. The Judge Dredd the costume was based on.
Lanky Disco Dredd?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snak posted:

I found it interesting that, despite the claim that losing your primary weapon is an automatic fail, Dredd's retention of his weapon did not save him; He ran out of ammo and would have died if Anderson had not come to save him. It feels like a very clear illustration that the law alone, no matter how well enforced, has practical limitations.
I like the way you explain this.

Perestroika posted:

Dredd is physically incapable of using any weapon that doesn't have "law" in the name :haw:.

But more seriously, I'd imagine he didn't think of it because in his mind backup was already on the way and would be able to resupply him instead of trying to kill him as well. They also relied on the inbuilt silencers to be able to move relatively unnoticed through the building for the longest time. Besides, given the ragtag nature of Peachtree's "militia" I'd be surprised if any of those guys had more than one or two backup magazines for their guns, if any.
Yea, but even you or I know to horde ammo where-ever it comes up. Dredd should have had a gut feeling to not assume anything until he was out of the PeachTree doors, even after the rooftop communication.

I think that he is probably obligated to use his issued weapon. It has ID info on the bullets and poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Deakul posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of the group that made their own Dredd soundtrack and other stuff inspired by Dredd music, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Drokk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The main boss was ma-ma. He had to figure out how to kill her and not blow up the tower.

• Locked thread