Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Hard to see where they'd find the time to carry out a Crime Blitz, though. "17 murders, five rapes, 23 robberies... nah, let's take a squad of Judges and rip some schlub's apartment to pieces looking for overdue library books and non-synthetic coffee."

Illegal coffee is a crime, you criminal. 12 months in the iso-cubes.

Dan Didio posted:

Bullet Crime.

Don't do the bullet crime if you can't do the bullet time.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I thought the guy referred to as "an innocent" got hit because he was jaywalking, he was wearing headphones while walking, and didn't look both ways before crossing the street, which would make him a criminal.

I don't remember all those details but that'so funny if true. Still, I don't think Dredd had time to see that and even if he had he wouldn't approve vigilante punshment, especially since those aren't execution worthy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Welp, just saw this in China and they edited out the most gory seconds here and there. Didn't touch the speech though. The slomo 3d still looked great, but the rest still looked at times blurry or grainy, randomly. Same as when I saw it in the states.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the last I'll say about War Zone here, but while you can find some shots that are ugly, garish, and neon in it, most of the film does in fact look like this:

Man those are beautiful.

You're not color-blind, you're color-bigoted?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

peer posted:

Sure, but I think the small scope and almost-realistic setting play a big part in making Dredd a good movie. It's simple to understand for non-comic fans, and doesn't feel too "out there" or weird for casual moviegoers. If you start adding in parallel dimensions and undead judges I think you might alienate everybody but the hardcore fans. To use a dumb analogy, Dredd is like Pitch Black and I worry a sequel with Death would be Chronicles of Riddick.

I'm sure Death is a cool character in the comics, but do you really think it'd work in a movie like this? Nothing we saw in Dredd is (too) unbelievable, supernatural or magical. It helps the audience connect with what's going on because the world feels similar to our own. I'm sure they could change the Death character somewhat so he's more believable, but presenting him as "an evil undead judge from an alternate universe" might not work too well.

Well Chronicles of Riddick owns, and also has Karl Urban.

Also I've never read Dredd comics but I think the point of Judge Death is to show the pinnacle of Dredd's facism, so we wonder where the lines truly should be drawn.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why's everyone hate on the Stallone Dredd anyway? It doesn't have the 3 seashells but it does have Cursed Earth Pizza, and THE LAW. Also that kickass ABC robot.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Karl Urban is the celebrity I'd most want to have a beer with I think. I've never seen him come off as anything other than 100% genuine.

He and Keanu should be best buds.

I still don't get the hate for the Stallone Dredd, it ruled.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just found this on youtube, might be cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KoRMaK posted:

I didn't even think of that as a theme, but now I'm trying to think of others.

Die Hard

Darkman
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
Jason Bourne

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone ever figure out why a few bits of the movie look more grainy? Is it intentional but the pattern is subtle, or did the DP mess up with the film in a few spots, or what?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fury Road is kinda locked into that color palette, to be fair, because the desert is orange-ish and the desert is very large parts of the movie.

Yeah I didn't notice the orange/blue thing at all while watching it 3 times because it's pretty natural. It's not like so many other movies that are in cities but still post-tint everything O/B.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KoRMaK posted:

Dredd is great.
Fury Road is great.

I liked dredd better, because it had a story. But thats unfair to fury road because it's not a movie that needs a story. I'm glad they didn't shoehorn character arc or a story in there. The movie was as concise and effecient as it could be.

Bitching about orange/blue in this movie seems really misplaced because it just loving worked. An orange dessert contrasted with the blue sky.

Fury road has a story and character arcs too, fyi.

I second the motion for a Dredd/Max teamup, only way we could get another Karl Urban Dredd it seems. Even John Wick is getting a sequel, did it really do that much better than Dredd? Nothing against Wick, it was great too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KoRMaK posted:

If theres no oceans, are the skies still blue? I forget how a sky gets blue.

The oceans are blue because of reflecting the sky. Your bathwater isn't blue, is it? The sky is blue because of the angle the sun's light gets refracted through the air particles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Common sense should take care of that the first time you notice a grey sky and blue water.

The blue must be really faint because bottled water is always clear :shrug:

• Locked thread