Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dredd is a British made sci-fi movie based on the comic book character of Judge Dredd. You can read more about him here. There was a movie made by Stallone in 1995 which is a fun movie in its own right but it wasn't really a Judge Dredd movie.

The story so far:

quote:

The story of Dredd takes place on a fictional Earth created as a result of the Atomic Wars. Survivors of this period are living in megacities, which protects its citizens from the Cursed Earth, a radioactive desert environment populated by mutants. The main story takes place in Mega-City One, where the police who are now called judges have the power to use police brutality to some extent to fight extreme murders. One man, Judge Dredd (Karl Urban), a senior law enforcement officer, teams up with a cadet called Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) to track down a terrorist organization lead by Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), who is responsible for selling a reality-altering drug called Slo-Mo.

The cast you're actually going to care about :

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd
Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson
Lena Headey as Madeline Madrigal (AKA "Ma-Ma")

The script is written by Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine) so that might be good?

We have a trailer as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCfqGsXu3M

I'll admit that I don't really have high hopes for this, so long as Karl Urban punches and shoots lots of criminals while yelling at them about the law I'll be reasonably happy.

Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Short version: THIS MOVIE IS REALLY GOOD! You should watch it! Multiple times because it needs the money if you ever want a sequel.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
We're talking about a guy who shoots a civilian in order to shoot a criminal and his only response to the guys that outrage that he got shot is to correct him in that he shoot through him and thanking him for his help in upholding the law.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

marktheando posted:

But for the sequel they need to give it a huge budget and get Paul Verhoeven to direct.

They also need to do the insane Judge Cal bit of the Cursed Earth storyline. If only to see Judge Fish on the big screen.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Btw, if anyone should be interested in reading the comics 2000AD have been putting out these great "Judge Dredd Complete Case File" books which compiles the comics strips. I think they're up to vol 19 now and they're ~300 pages each iirc. Pricepoint is ~$15-20.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You have seen less than 2 minutes of Karl Urban in what is clearly an early trailer, I'd say it is a bit early to call his performance in the movie bad.

Also, Darth vader had the acting of an english bodybuilder.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In the Cursed Earth storyline Dredd gets shot through the head and the way he is show after the surgery is with the entire top half of his head bandaged up. Just to avoid showing his face, it's quite funny.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A more official trailer has appeared? It is more or less the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 30, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Analrapist posted:

I recently re-watched the 90's Judge Dredd movie, and I have to say that apart from the obvious schlock, Rob Schneider and Dredd's helmet removal, I cannot understand the hate it gets. For a straight up 90s action flick, it is pretty remarkable, and the set design is pretty great too.

I particularly love the look and feel they gave Mega-City One, and the street gangers/civilians are a good representation of the perps found in the comics. Obviously it's not a true reflection on the comics (which I adore and grew up reading) but I just don't get the hate for it.

It was a fine action movie, just not a very good Dredd movie.

And when I want to watch 90s Stallone action I'll go for Demolition Man every time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fish of hemp posted:

What does this even mean?

Battleship Potemkin was an incredibly succesful propaganda film ... so Dredd makes Starship Troopers look really good? I don't know.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Might as well put these here, in case some of you don't read the poster thread.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think you guys put way more thought into that poster than whoever made it did.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Dredd is very much aging in real time. It is currently the year 2134 in the Dredd universe and he has been an active judge since 2079 so he's past 70 years old now.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure they gave Dredd cancer at one point and he's still trucking.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess Cursed Earth is pretty easy to turn into a movie, since it's a bunch of different stories tied together, so they can just drop any of the really stupid stuff.

I'm going to guess that if they get to make the movie, there won't be any dinosaurs.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr.48 posted:

Look at its this way: If any daily publication knows fascism, its them.

I'm partial to The Sun myself.

Also cannot wait for this loving movie to open in the rest of Europe so I can watch it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'll be incredibly happy if they can somehow include the Chief Judge Cal storyline, even just a little bit.

I guess what I'm saying is that Judge Fish on the big screen would be incredible.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Which reviewers in the US really matter when it comes to movies these days? If any. Is Ebert still relevant or do reviewers no longer influence how a movie does in any noticable way?

Looking at Rotten Tomatoes there are positive reviews from USA Today, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, NPR, Entertainment Weekly and Associated Press. MSN Movies has both a fresh and a rotten review from, naturally, two different people.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The entire ad campaign should have been giant banners of Dredds head with "OBEY THE LAW" underneath it, hung everywhere.

And I guess some tv trailers or something.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, Dredds job is to uphold the law. The easiest way to make sure that people don't break the law is to make the consequences absolutely clear.

Hence, melting some guys head is actually a preventative measure taken by Dredd.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It would be impossible to make "the definitive" Dredd movie on the budget they had.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I was disappointed by the movie's lack of futuristic props. I guess to keep it low budget they had to cut back in some places.

But you just said the budget didn't matter.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

marktheando posted:

I don't think even America has the death penalty for attempted murder of a cop.

You're probably likely to get shot "resisting arrest" if you're a(n attempted) cop killer though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wouldn't exactly call Robocop clever. But that's just because Verhoeven prefers the sledgehammer approach when it comes to satire.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I read that early drafts of the script would have included Judge Death or an adaptation of the Democracy storyline. Instead, it feels like Alex Garland took a generic action movie script he found sitting on a pile, then used the Find & Replace function in MS Word to replace every instance of "cop" with "Judge".

You should probably re-read whatever it was you read.

The plan all along was for the first movie to be a small story that would introduce Dredd, Anderson and the Megacity world.

If that movie then made $50m they would greenlight sequels. First sequel would be the Democracy storyline and second sequel would be Judge Death.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I suppose the most ludicrous aspect of the movie is the fact that Ma-Ma's gang declares war on the Judges. She doesn't worry about the wrath of the Hall of Justice nor the backlash from the residents after she rips through the building with the minigun. You'd never see this sort of thing happening in present day America or Britain. This usually happens in states where government control is weak or breaking down, such as Colombia or Sri Lanka.

It is becoming more apparent with each post that you didn't actually pay attention when you watched the movie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Dredd was shot in South Africa, so I'm going to guess that the answer is no.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jack Does Jihad posted:

It was cheesy in a bad way in some spots ("hotshot", some of the dialogue) but overall it was a fun movie.

Yeah, but on the other hand:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think the current theory is that The Raid is so similar is because the Judge Dredd script was leaked to the internet in 2010.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

foodfight posted:

This was the music during the slo-mo scenes, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M

Almost.

There was an article linked earlier in the thread when it was brought up, and the music guy said it was basically that song but recreated by him and without the drum section.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheJoker138 posted:

He literally sets the building on fire at one point. How is that not him risking the lives of innocents just as much as Mama was?

Self defence, the building was trying to kill him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This thread was doing so well, and then bam! pages and pages of poo poo posting.

At this point it is basically the same 3-4 people arguing past each other, so can't you just agree to disagree and go poo poo up some other thread.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's not a discussion when the same 3-4 people are yelling at each other without acknowledging the other sides point. That's just noise.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're really itching to watch a good 90s Stallone action movie, I would go for Demolition Man every time.

Stallone Dredd has some very pretty sets though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Punisher is kind of a dumb comic, so War Zone being a dumb action movie is pretty fitting. And I mean that as a person that actually likes The Punisher character and War Zone.

• Locked thread