Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I will see this for Karl Urban and because the basic plot behind The Raid is pretty much the most excellent thing possible for an action movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

nickmeister posted:

Let's be real, in this day and age, with the way things are going, there's no way there's going to be a blockbuster movie satirizing fascism.

Edit: For some reason, I'm reminded of the latest Rainbow Six project (that I think fell through a few months back), where the Rainbows are fighting against a group of terrorists who are offing big time bankers. But today, no one would care, so they made the terrorists randomly kill innocent bystanders, as well. Why? Just because. They're bad now, see? Now crush them!
I think from a producer standpoint you really can't even try to make that picture. A lot of countries are having a conservative reaction to loving everything, the UK, the US and Canada, at least if elected officials are any indication of things. The nanny state seems to be getting bigger.

How many people read Judge Dredd comics? Enough to recoup the cost of a movie? Doubtful. Enough for a film to actually turn a profit? Absolutely not.

Hence, you go after a wider audience. You dumb it down to earn more money. It's not unheard of.

EDIT:

Bo Berry posted:

This sentence. :psyduck:
http://youtu.be/G7RgN9ijwE4

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I honestly cannot believe some people got genuine enjoyment from the Stallone Judge Dredd film. That poo poo was loving terrible.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I'll still be wary as people were jerking off the Expendables as the greatest action movie in forever and what we got was boring and forgettable.
Expendables was pretty God drat great what is wrong with you

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Just saw this and man it was very good. I really like Karl Urban, even enjoyed Pathfinder to an extent, so a genuinely good action flick with him is just fantastic.

Also I was surprised how well they handled the new-guy the audience experiences the film through. She wasn't a bland character and even the whole psychic angle was very well done and resulted in some genuine laughs.

Wouldn't recommend this to everyone but if you like action flicks and can stomach blood and guts this is totally worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Jedit posted:

How much of that can be accounted for by many years of sucking cock for a living?

Uhh how do you define "sucking cock"? Because how most people do it it doesn't involve activities that would rot teeth.

• Locked thread