Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Baron Bifford posted:

If we were to forgive every criminal who was broke when he was arrested, then we'd have to release most of the inmates in our prisons. This is a very banal thing - criminals are regularly in dire financial straits. Modern judges do not let criminals off the hook because they were broke when they committed their crime, so why the heck should we be shocked when Dredd doesn't give the poor a pass either?

Because modern judges tend not to set peoples' heads on fire. It's like you're not even trying, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

I wanna know who's loving brilliant idea it was to have the combo packs be the following:

DVD+Digital Copy

3D Blu-Ray+Blu-Ray+Digital Copy

Why not make it like every other combo-pack in existence, Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital copy?

Because it's been long enough that people who are going to buy Bluray players already have them. Now the next big hurdle is getting people to adopt 3D TVs, which is why they're shifting that direction.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Nowadays they are, but someone who doesn't want it can still save money with a cheaper 2D-only model, so actual 3D TV home penetration might not be that great (I've heard consumer response to 3D has been a resounding "meh", and a lot of the 3D penetration would just be down to all really high-end models one would get for the best PQ having 3D anyway). I'm sure in a few years virtually every display sold will have 3D just because, but we're not there yet.

It's drat close. I bought a new TV last year that had everything we wanted at the price we wanted, and it just happened to also have 3D, and a lot of people I'd been talking to were in the same boat. "We'll never use it", we said, but now that we have the option, we do try to take advantage of it. As more people are buying new TVs and 3d becomes more and more "standard", that shift is already happening. Without having done any exhaustive research, it seems like if you're in the market for a relatively decent HDTV with the usual bells and whistles, that TV's going to have 3D on it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

As a fan of asskicking chicks, explosions, political satire and gunfights, I just bought this bluray without having seen it in theaters.

Also because dammit, I bought this 3D TV and I might as well have one movie that makes use of it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

badjohny posted:

I never got to see this in the theater but picked it up day one on blu ray. Put it into my ps3 and it would not play. It makes some sound like it is trying to eject the disk and nothing happens. Took it back and the new copy did the same thing. I am on the 3rd copy and it is doing the same thing. Every other movie I have plays fine on the ps3.

I found out this morning on a whim that dredd plays fine in all my other blu ray players. Its just the ps3 that dredd hates. I looked around on the internet and others seem to be having this issue. So If you get a copy that does not work on a ps3, try another player. I would assume there needs to be an update to the ps3 (I have the latest version on a non slim ps3) or something to make it work.

On the other hand, I just watched it yesterday on mine with no issues, and I also have the latest firmware on a non slim PS3.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It's also incredibly important for Andersons character that she thinks she has failed her examination and continues to try to make things right anyway.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CronnySockett posted:

Dredd is the judge the city wants; Anderson is the judge the city needs.

I actually kinda thought it was the other way around.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Great movie, but how come when that bad guy had Anderson in the elevator and said "You're hosed" she didn't jump into his mind and make him wet his pants again?

Because then she wouldn't get a cool action scene, and instead would just escape by doing the exact same thing she did earlier and it would be super boring and uninteresting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pingiivi posted:

LG has a passive system and they sell clip-on type of polarized 3D-lenses that you can put on your glasses. They are really light and comfortable.

They're also stupid cheap on Amazon, and I can verify that they're super comfortable to wear, and easy to bring with you to the theater if need be.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I already own it on Blu-Ray. Do I have to buy another copy? :v:

Somebody find that gif of Dredd saying "Yeah", because it's never been more appropriate.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The idea is that whatever he's showing her is so horrible that it's better off left to our imaginations. So just think of something really bad and then imagine it's worse than that. It doesn't matter what he's thinking about. It's Bad. Maybe he's thinking about the glowing stuff in Marcellus Wallace's suitcase.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm not sure if the comparison is quite accurate. Dredd is locked in a building with hundreds of armed gangsters gunning for him, and running low on ammo. Can we say the same for the ones who dropped the WP in that image? Of course, there's also the element of Dredd representing the system that causes situations like Peach Trees to occur, so yeah.

That said, there was something I was curious about. Dredd ends up running out of ammo, resulting in him using his last Hi-Ex round on a single human target, and getting shot by the armed Lex. What I'm confused about is, why doesn't he just grab one of the guns the dead Ma-Ma clan members were using? Anderson does, though that's admittedly only after her Lawgiver is entirely destroyed. Are Judges disallowed from using any weapons other than the Lawgiver unless said Lawgiver is lost?

Nah, it's because the flow of the action in the movie demands that Dredd and Anderson start off well armed and gradually run lower on ammo and have to result to increasingly innovative tactics to survive. If they just kept picking up guns off the ground, the entire movie would've been "And then Dredd and Anderson fired thousands of machine gun rounds at the bad guys and faced no problems".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

I do wish there was a commentary on it I guess, not that that was enough to stop me from buying it.

The commentary track is an offscreen Dredd, silently glaring at the footage without emotion.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This is the whole point of Dredd and how he has always been written as a caricature of extreme fascism. This really is a normal day for him and the reason why the stakes seem low is because that's how he has always been written. The whole point of Dredd (especially in his really early stories) wasn't the danger he was in, but how much of a bastard he was at delivering justice.

Notice how in the film, Dredds facial expressions and attitude and personality are completely ridiculous and over the top while everyone else in the film are completely normal. Dredd is a satire of himself.

Dredd isn't a hero to root for, Dredd is a voyeuristic parody we watch/read to see how inhumanly he dispatches the criminals/victims in the name of the law.

When Dredd says "I am the law", it's not just a badass phrase. It is true. Dredd is an extension of the system he inhabits. It's not just Dredd who is unaffected and stoically dispenses horrific violent justice upon criminals. It's the whole system that does it. Dredd is just the gun, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TWO MOVIES ENTER

Both movies leave, because they're both quite good and let's stop all the fighting.

• Locked thread