Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Posting from Vancouver here. I just dumped my three year old $85/mo Rogers plan (unlimited local calling, unlimited Canada text, NO long distance, 500MB data, voicemail etc.) for Wind's $40/month plan at last month's discounted $35 back to school rate. Haven't had any major issues with coverage in the downtown area yet, but day two of the new plan I ran into my first roaming area inside the Deer Lake park conference center. Data is noticeably slower than Rogers, but 90% of the time I'm on a wireless network at home or work anyways, so it doesn't really bother me. So far, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

So here's what I'm thinking:

Wind Mobile $35/mo plan:

And an unlocked iPhone 6 from the Apple Store.

I plan to do very little travelling outside of their "coverage" map, with the exception of Montreal. I suppose I could upgrade to their more expensive plan if I plan to be out of coverage very long.

Does Wind support iOS Visual Voicemail, or am I going to have to use some lovely voice based voicemail like a caveman? Also still hoping for a 416 number so I'll have to check with Wind in the morning one of these days..

Anyway, any general advice on the above? Am I going to have a bad time on Wind? I'm not married to that provider, but I do find myself using about 2-3GB of data since I work from the train a lot, and I don't really travel outside of the Wind area, so I figured $35 was a good price for a no-contract thing to try.

I switched from Rogers to Wind a little over a month ago based on the advice in this thread and the Vancouver thread. I'm using an Android so I can't really comment on any iOS issues, but I can say that internet speeds are definitely slower than any of the big three networks. Not unmanageable, but if you're watching Youtubes all the time you may be annoyed. I have also run into several areas mid-city where I don't get Wind coverage when I should. Like Rogers arena, funny enough, and underground parking garages or thick-walled buildings where a Rogers signal doesn't have trouble penetrating but apparently Wind's signal does.

That being said, I'm saving $50 a month over my old Rogers plan AND getting Canada-wide long distance and global text on top of that, so it's totally worth it for me. I can easily live with spending a couple bucks a month on roaming texts or calls if I need to. I also have Shaw home internet and make use of the hundreds of Shaw wi-fi hotspots around the city, so I've never had any need to fall back on data roaming. The Wind web portal is really nice too, lots of easy to read data on your usage & poo poo like that.

If you are comfortable with trading coverage for cost savings, then go for it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

So I called Telus customer retention, and the best they would do for me was 300 minutes and 300mb for $60. I currently pay $56 for 500mb, which means they've cut service and raised prices for four years. :psyduck:

Then I did the math and realized that with the new roaming rates, if I got Winds $35 plan and somehow roamed to 500mb, I'd still pay less than if I stayed with Telus.

That caller ID is free, and not $10/month, is just the icing on the cake. For the first time in years I can see who is calling.

Tl;Dr: gently caress the big three.

Evis posted:

I'd love to use wind but the service is terrible. I found it unusable fairly frequently and I'd switch to use my work phone with a Fido sim which usually worked fine in the same place. This is all in downtown Vancouver too so I'm not exactly out in the sticks. If it works for you that's great! Wish it worked for me.

I did this earlier this year and yes, I can confirm that WIND coverage sucks. I can't even get a roaming signal inside Rogers Arena. That being said, I'm now paying $35 a month for unlimited Canada-wide calling and North America-wide text with 2GB data, vs $$85 a month for unlimited local calling, NO long distance and 500MB data with Rogers. I am more than happy to put up with spotty service and the occasional roaming charge to save $600 a year.

Plus, their U.S. roaming add-on is a loving amazing deal: $15/month unlimited calling, texting and data when you're roaming in the states. Cheaper than the big three's day rates!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Does anyone here actually have Wind and find it decent enough?
90% Of my usage is text and data but I guess voice is important too.

What area of the country are you in? Look at my posts in this or the Vancouver thread for my comments on the west coast network.

In short: voice good, coverage is lovely (none in Rogers arena and some malls, can't even send texts or roam), and data is a bit slow. But I'm saving $50/month over a similar big 3 plan and holy poo poo their US roaming add on is amazing ($15/month for unlimited data, talk and text), so I'm a happy camper.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Same here for Wind. Lollipop update. I'm going to wait a bit after hearing all the problems with the first release they had to pull back.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wind has US-wide unlimited text and data roaming with 2400 minutes talk for $15 a month. Too bad their coverage is so lovely in Canada.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

BANME.sh posted:

There's also very little other choice. If you even mention that you're going to switch to a discount carrier like Koodo or Wind, you'll get an earful of reasons why it's a bad idea.

Isn't Koodo a Telus subsidiary and as such uses their network? You might be thinking of Mobilicity, which would definitely be a bad idea since they're reportedly an rear end hair away from bankruptcy. I'm a Wind subscriber and as I've mentioned in this thread it's a very, very cheap network and the $15/mo unlimited US roaming plan is loving amazing, but the coverage is poo poo. I can't get a signal (or even roam) inside malls, Costco, sports arenas, etc.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rickets posted:

Rogers reception is so bad in Alberta that I ditched them for Wind

As a Wind subscriber in Vancouver, this made my head explode. I love the price and the roaming, bug goddamn the coverage is poo poo.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wind pricing and US roaming plans are loving amazing but the service in Vancouver is so loving terrible it's nigh unusable. No signal in malls, no signal in arenas, poo poo signal one office in from the exterior of the building where I work. Plus, I've been on roaming for the last 24 hours despite being in the middle of Vancouver because of some mystery technical issue that was never reported as an outage on their support page.

Does the Bell SK thing still work? I think it's time to change networks.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not going to be caught dead switching back to loving Shaw internet, so I don't use their hotspots.

Just find a bro who will add your devices to his account's WiFi whitelist for a sixer. That's what the wife and I did and she survives with an old, cheap 50MB data plan because she's always near a hot spot or using the home connection.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on Teksavvy and couldn't be happier, after experiencing Shaw's bullshit for years. I checked their packages too, I'd be paying double what I am now if I switched back.

I joined Teksavvy a few months ago and it's been terrible. I get 2% of advertised speeds, when I get a connection at all, many days between 6pm and 11pm. Unfortunately, I'm using a $20 Craigslist Zyxel modem exploited to use bridge mode so I don't know if it's the line or the modem. My choices are 1) buy a new $130 modem from Teksavvy and if the connection is still poo poo I have to eat it, or 2) tell Tek to call in the Telus line inspectors and if they don't find anything wrong I'm stuck with the $150 bill and THEN have to try the $130 modem route. I hate Shaw and Telus but I'm still pissed.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

experienceBeej posted:

Where are you located? I'm having the same problem on TekSavvy (on a Telus Zyxel and a Telus ALU) at the same times of day here in Victoria.

When I called last night, the tech support person told me they've been getting a few of these reports in "the BC area".

Today I checked it around 6pm and it was great. Then it was poo poo after that, until 11pm. Is Telus overprovisioning and loving over TekSavvy somehow?

Commercial Drive area of Vancouver in a 10 year old duplex. Good to know it isn't just me. I found one report of my version of the airport express having problems with pppoe but it doesn't explain why it's always exactly at the same time every night. And it's definitely fine during the day, I've been off work for the last 2 weeks and would know if it wasn't.

Back on topic, I hope Wind keeps their US roaming prices. It's the only reason I'm still with them.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

Just do the Koodo MB/SK unlimited talk and text with 5GB for $48 a month.

Does this still work?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to do this too. WIND is killing me with their poo poo coverage and garbage speeds. The only reason I've stayed with them is for the $15/mo unlimited roaming plan for the 4 times I year I go to the states.

Anyone have a referral code they want me to use?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Got my Public Mobile SIM but their web activation isn't processing my credit card. VISA says there's no block or problem on their end, they're just seeing a zero dollar charge that immediately gets rescinded by the vendor for some reason. And oh yeah, there is no phone support for public mobile, only "community moderators" and a 48 hour response time to support emails. I know you get what you pay for, but it's not looking good so far...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
My Public Mobile activation got sorted out, it was some incorrect characters in my address string on VISA's side. Everything is working now but definitely agree with the idea of not porting on the weekend to avoid long tech support delays.

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I think I'm now learning that. If I leave my old wind sim in my phone, will it just stop working at sooner point when everything gets ported over?

I ported from WIND and didn't have any issues once the payment was processed. There was a point about half an hour after I completed the activation where my PM SIM could only send calls/texts and my WIND SIM would be the one receiving them, but everything was switched over once I got the "you are activated" text from PM 20 minutes later.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

So I received the two sim card mailers and one of them didn't include a sim card. Just the instruction flyer.

Okay.

So far I'm happy with the coverage in Vancouver but yeah Public Mobile is really not not 100% on the ball. And LOL at getting a $10/month discount to act as the company's front line tech support. You get what you pay for, I guess. It's either lovely coverage or lovely customer service.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

urf posted:

My phone tab is all paid up and everything and I've already got the Public Mobile sim ordered for that sweet deal.
So I walked into a Wind store to get my phone unlocked because I couldn't do it from the website (kept saying I had a bad IMEI despite the fact it was a phone provided by Wind)
But the guy was claiming that he would need to take my phone and give me a loaner (Not an option, I need my actual phone atm) which I thought was weird since every other time I've dealt with unlocking phones it's been "give IMEI -> pay fee -> ok unlocked". I can imagine that dealing with an IMEI problem might add some extra steps there but would handing in your phone really be one of them?

From the CRTC's The Wireless Code, Simplified

quote:

Unlocking

A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must

(a) for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.

(b)for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

Pretty cut & dry.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
They're going to have to soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/crtc-telemarketing-calls-1.3839951

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Or technical support.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

urf posted:

Has anyone had trouble getting activated on Public Mobile because they can't process your credit card?
I know it's not a problem with the actual CCs since they've both been recently used with no issues.
Guess I need to try customer service.

I did and it was my billing address. It has to be 100% exactly what is on file with your credit card company.

Also, anyone signing up feel free to send a referral my way. PM me for email. Bisquik is probably paying $2 a month at this point lol.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Give dillbag a referral, I have 4 numbers on file as referred, but have 7 referrals worth of rewards :iiam:

Haha no worries, I was just giving you a hard time. The extra rewards you're seeing might be the discount for setting up auto-pay.

but yeah, gimme a referral

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
LOL

quote:

Public Mobile here! Thanks for coming to order a SIM card. Unfortunately, you’ll need to come back next week since we’ve temporarily stopped shipping SIM cards. Why? We thought you’d want to know. It’s simple: any SIM cards that are ordered now will not make it into your hands before the end of our promotion (Sunday, November 20 at 11:59pm) and we don’t want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed. But do come back and check us out next week – we’d love to have you join us.

-The Public Mobile team

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Where is the Vancouver store? I can only find stores out east. Or can you get a SIM from Telus stores?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hahahah 50 person long lineup at the Best Buy in Richmond BC for first day of Fido's $40 non contract plan matching Public Mobile.

e. Aaaaaand 200 people lined up outside the Fido store around the corner.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Metrotown lineups. Fido deal only available until today, apparently.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

JiUC posted:

This looks really good and I'd never heard of it. Thanks!

Read the last five pages of the thread! Service is good on Telus' network but there is zero technical support by phone or in-person. The only way to get help is to either email them or leave a message on their message board and hope someone gets back to you within 48 hours.

I had a problem last week where all my text messages were returning a message failed error, but people were receiving my texts, sometimes in multiple. It sorted itself out the next day but I have received zero response from tech support about the issue. Not even a cursory check up.

Price is great and service is good, but just be aware of the lack of support.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

waxluthor posted:

Can anybody recommend a legit unlock service online or a store in Vancouver area? I saw a place in an Asian mall today that charges $80 to unlock a phone. :shepface:

Unlock or jailbreak/root? You can get unlock codes online for like $10-20 and do it yourself.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I bought an edge 7 off of Newegg and couldn't figure out why it was flat out refusing to attach any file over 300kb to a SMS message. Turns out the phone is a SE Asia model that's hard locked to 300kb and below, which I only found out when the girl at the Samsung store recognized it as the only model with a dual SIM. Now my collection of hilarious and annoying 500-999kb animated jiffs are unusable, so ya gently caress SMS forever.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Give a goon a referral when you sign up and save them a buck or two, then post in this thread for the next referral.

I still haven't gotten one hint hint (PM me for my phone number, bless).

Coverage has been great in Vancouver but god forbid if you need tech support.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

El Mido posted:

I'm about to activate on Public Mobile, does anyone want a referral?

Please! PM'ing you.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

Please! PM'ing you.

Never mind, you don't have PMs. If you haven't activated already you can email me at my user name at gmail.com . I'm sure as gently caress not posting my phone number here haha.

Still waiting for my first referral :2bux:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Thanks!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Public Mobile updated today and now Netflix doesn't work on my S7 edge

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Last year, I bought a brand new unlocked S7 edge from Newegg that was discounted by $20-40 under the regular price. Cue almost a year of trying to figure out why the phone is hard locked to max 300kb SMS's, when my old S5 could send up to 1GB on both the Wind and Public Mobile networks. The only thing Samsung could tell me is "Huh, you should only be able to get that dual SIM model in certain markets in Asia"

The other day I did some digging into why there was weird abbreviations and numbering after the date on the clock, something other users had reported after the last software update. Apparently, it's the Iranian calendar, and it can't be turned off.

I have an Iranian cell phone. Welp. Happy Khor 30.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Cross-grading (it was the same cost as Shaw's 25/5) to Telus Fibre was a good idea. This is over wireless a floor up and on the opposite side of the house.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

my ping is better :colbert:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Doesn't your contract with PM stay as-is until you change? Like if you signed up months ago you still keep your existing plan?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes, the article is talking about their new phone plans, which are worse than the default plans they already had before last year's 90 day, $120/12gb deal.

Ok good. Well at least now I can stop trying to convince family members to swap providers.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait, there are phones that can't do MMS? Are you making GBS threads me?

I know a couple olds who still use those Alcatel flip phone 7-11 burners, specifically my dad who just figured out how texting works in his mid-70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know Telus owns Koodo but isn't PM a 3rd party company that's just renting bandwidth from Telus? Like why would they be trying to drive business to another company? Or did Telus take over PM?