Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

I gotta say though, Wind stores are more no-frills than... NoFrills.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

less than three posted:

Odd. They're pretty nice in Vancouver.

London is the southern U.S. of Canada. :banjo:
Poor, cheap, conservative, fat, cheap, and with only bars for entertainment.

Not counting the one semi-pro hockey team, and one university football team, of course.

No joke, I didn't know "Red Lobster" and "upscale" could go together, until I spent two days in Toronto a few weeks ago.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

How is wind's reception on the edge of town? I live east dundas and my Rogers reception starts crapping out once pull into my street. It's to a point where I have to forward my calls to my phone.

I'm looking to get out of Rogers once my contract is finished and wind looks good

I don't own a car, so I can't say how that affects reception, but it was fine walking through NoFrills/WalMart in Argyle Mall.
And texts weren't a problem on the 401 to Toronto.

jwoven posted:

God damnit, Telus.

50 minutes
2gb data
unlimited text messaging
caller ID

$83 per month before fees.

:pwn:

Yyyeah, I'll take my lovely Wind 25 with only 100Mb and unlimited local, or a Wind 40 with unlimited talk, text, AND data any day, over that bullshit.
I don't care how much better the coverage is, that price is loving bullshit.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 27, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it possible? Yes

Is it profitabe? No. See, if they tell you after, they make more money

This completely explains why my bandwidth use doesn't update on Rogers' website until 48 hours later.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If I live in one of Wind's "Best Coverage" zones, are they a good option?
Thirty bucks for unlimited everything including data sounds great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Simple: enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty) once said, "The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy."

Rogers delenda est.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wind owns. 10gb for $40 before they throttle you, and no overage charges.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

lizzyinthesky posted:

Coming up on the end of my Rogers slavery. I don't even have the energy to try and fight for something better with them at this point, I think I'm just going to see what Wind and Mobilicity will offer me. $50 vs $70 and getting way more data out of it to boot seems like a no-brainer right? Any pitfalls to consider? I live in Burnaby so it should be a decent wind zone.

Here's Wind's coverage for Burnaby and surrounding area:

This is what $30 gets you:
- Up to $100 in Bring/Buy Your Own Phone Credits or WINDtab
- Unlimited Province-wide Calling
- Unlimited Canada-wide WIND-to-WIND Calling
- Unlimited Canada-wide Texting
- Unlimited Canada/US wide Picture/Video Messaging
- Unlimited Data (Fair Usage Policy Applies) - It's 5gb before they throttle you; another $10 gets you another 5gb, for 10 GIGAbytes per month before throttling.
- Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
- No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees, 911 Fees or Activation Fees
- Use your features anywhere on our network

That's what I got two months ago. $45.20 for 10gb data per month and unlimited minutes and texts to everywhere that matters.
$100 credit ($5/mo) for bringing a Nexus 5 I bought days before, which I put towards the extra data.
gently caress Rogers. gently caress them to Hell. Rogers delenda est.

Obviously, this only really works if you're a city mouse. Country mice can't really apply. :(

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 8, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DarkJC posted:

They say "up to $700 in subsidies" but has anyone actually received a $700 subsidy? I know they still charge $229 for the base price iPhone which is $490 off at best, all for a ripoff $80/month plan for 2 years.

Also those new Silver plans are a joke. The bottom tier one is 50MB data with an additional $5/50MB overage charge. That plan used to be $25/month with their Pay-per-use data tiers (1GB = $20).

The overages in general have gotten way more restrictive as well. It used to be $10/GB, now it's $5/250MB on even the 1 and 2GB plans.

I know this only really works in large cities, but the money saved by doing the $30 Wind plan vs. $80+ plans means you could literally buy an unlocked 5S from Apple after what, 14 months?
gently caress the big carriers (unless you're rural; then I am so, so sorry for you guys. :(:respek::a2m: )

Because of Wind's generous data plan, CBC's Sochi app was all I needed for the Olympics. Plenty of HD video on my phone, and hours and hours of it.
gently caress Roger's and Bell's phoney baloney mobile TV bullshit.

Rogers delenda est.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 18, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How's the site itself? Is it the DSLReports of phones for Canada?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the idea of keeping prices competitive was to beat the other guy on value for dollar; not leapfrog each other in a race to be the worst.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"We feel we're worth a premium price!"

Rogers™ :fuckoff:

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wind has Unlimited Canada-wide Talk & Text for $25 & tax, though coverage depends on where in B.C. you are.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It was $20 two months ago, too. :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

odiv posted:

Ugh, just missed a sale on NCIX for an Xperia Z1 Compact. I'm pretty sure that's the phone I'll get and would have loved to get it from them as I've never been disappointed.

Now I just have to figure out the best place to buy it from. What trustworthy Canadian retailers have phones for cheap?

How cheap are we talking here?
Getting an unlocked Nexus 5 directly from Google is $150 cheaper than getting it from the cartel.
And it's half the price of every other flagship phone.

But it's still $350...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

leidend posted:

I suppose it's hopeless to try to appeal to Rogers when going ever so slightly over your data plan? I've got 6 gigs and just noticed it says 100mb left with the last 12 hours omitted.

If it's anything like their internet plans it's 24-48 hours out of date, and you're already over.
And yes, they're anal enough to get every last mb from your account.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Reminder they called the third Xbox Rogers 3.0 Xbox One One Rogers. :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cartels don't want informed customers; only compliant ones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

so I need to get a phone now more sooner than later. What is virgin like? My old company phone is an old galaxy S tied to Telus. Would it be worth my while to keep the device and stay on Telus? Is it much cheaper? My idiotic company terminated my existing number/plan so I probably have no way of getting the number back do I?

I completely forgot to reply earlier, but I ordered my (unlocked) N5 direct from Google, and it arrived less than 36 hours after placing the order. And most carriers offer at least $100 credit for bringing your own phone, depending on the contract.
As for performance, it's like having my Mac Mini in the palm of my hand.
Sell your old one for some cash/hand it down to a relative.

Also, I would say gently caress any carrier that isn't Wind, but I'm a city boy so the limited coverage works out for me.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 5, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Take a page from the Freep thread: It always costs more, and it is always worse.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You'll love it.
Yeah, Wind may not be wi-fi fast, and HD streaming may cut out indoors, but it isn't loving Rogers, and that's what counts.

Rogers delenda est.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Was there a class action lawsuit settlement recently? :getin:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just PM one of the Mods for the forum: Thermopyle/Star Wars Sex Parrot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

At this point, I'm just so tired of Kim Jong Il's (Rogers, natch) bullshit that seeing it replaced by Kim Jong Un's (Quebecor) bullshit actually looks like a refreshing change.

Canadian Cellular: Like Animal Farm if You Removed the Hope

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Canadian mobile prices higher than peers, report says

Which of the Big Three will make excuses for the industry first? "Oh, it's because Canada is so big! Infrastructure is expensive! We needed more blood for the blood god!"

At least now we can make the counter-argument that Australia is more spread out with worse infrastructure, and still has better plans than we do.

... Fffffuuuck. :smithicide:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm on my phone trying to win an argument over the internet here. Can anyone confirm that Sasktel is despised and charges higher rates for worse service than the telcos?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Are they the only one though? I'll take a consolation prize.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, poo poo. Are the big three's averages lower versus provinces without a government telecom?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Just desperately hoping that it doesn't simply end up being the fourth option with all the same plans, now.

I fully expect it.

It was nice having "unlimited" (5gb) data and unlimited talk and text for $30 while it lasted, I guess... :smithicide:

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Four Horsemen. But not in the Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death sense but in the Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard meaning. Rogers being Flair (Being the dirtiest player in the game and all) and Bell being Arn with Ole as Telus given their fake kinship in LTE partnership. Shawind gets the Tully role.

The Cartel™.

(wrestling-wise, I always liked "The Legion of Doom", myself)

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 18, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Any decent 3/4gb plans under $50, or am I still sticking with Wind at 5 for $30?
It's cheap and all, but speed and coverage is literally up and down on Adelaide, and Twitch is pretty much a no go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

P-Value Hack posted:

Currently on Koodo but with a lovely smartphone (S2X Galaxy from way back when), but now have the funds to afford a real smartphone.

Im seriously looking at Wind because of their $35/m plan, plus the windtab. Don't really care about unlimited calling, but do like the unlimited texting and 5GB per month deal they have on now (plus the no-fee cap thing if you go over).

Some deals on with the S7 Galaxy, but also am leaning towards the Nexus 6P because I don't want all that Samsung bloatware that comes with most of their phones, but I am a giant klutz with expensive things so I like the waterproofing.

Any advice? I wish someone would update the OP to reflect today, because the last time I bought a phone was like, pre 2012.

If you go with Wind, don't live in London.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just taking a bus down a main thoroughfare (Adelaide St. N), I can literally watch the connection strength go up and down.

Consistency for Wind is just soo bad.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I also just remembered the most frustrating issue I had with wind: I'd have like four or five bars of coverage and data would be at 2g speeds or less quite often (I know how slow that is and I'm not exaggerating) - even outside.

Yeah, shopping in Metro will kill my DI.FM streaming. At 48kbps.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How is the Telus Network? I'm actually tempted to get that deal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ That's the spirit! Rogers must be destroyed! Nationalize the Cartel.

DariusLikewise posted:

I've been saying this for awhile, but I'm pretty sure our future is a Bell/Telus merger and a Rogers/Shaw merger to give Canada a true Duopoly.

Highlander was right. There can only be one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ColonelMoutard posted:

Can vouch for Public Mobile, using it in Montreal with the deal posted above. Great speeds on LTE and no issues to report. It's the telus network so it works pretty much everywhere.

I think I'll get this. Now I just need to figure out what to upgrade my N5 to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I considered it (I check AP's website once a day), but I'm most interested in an IP67/68 phone. Dust protection is relevant to my profession (baker).
The speakers of my N5 are literally clogged with flour, and I'm pretty sure it fouled the wireless charging magnets (they wouldn't detect), until I popped the back off and re-polished them.
I'm pretty much looking at waiting for the S7/Edge to go on sale (even though I hate its looks in every way), since the iPhone 7 never, ever, ever will... :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 9, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sheeple posted:

I did the cheap sim plan self serve thing a few weeks ago. Worked fine, didnt talk to anyone. Switched over from Wind.

Now the trick is figuring out how to upgrade from my tired Nexus 5 without losing the plan or spending a thousand bucks.

In your position too for both. Now that I don't need to talk to a rep, I need get in on this ASAP.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Visit a starbucks, mcdonalds, or tim hortons for your 'canadian roaming' needs. No need to thank me.

Pizza Pizza™ ( :barf: ) too! :eng101:

I think you're actually better off getting a one month American plan and roaming with that as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You keep it as long as you're a customer?

Bye bye, Wind! :commissar:

Rogers delenda est