Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

My billing cycle ends in just three days. Would it be worth my while to do this with my current phone to save a few bucks before my current one arrives?

TELUS will require 30 days notice for cancellation. Call them up and request cancellation for your next billing cycle end. Go get the Koodo phone at that time.

Meanwhile with your current number: stick to texting, data, and outgoing calls. Outgoing calls to local numbers are local, even with your Eastern phone number. Incoming calls will be billed long distance.

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

My mom wants my old Blackberry because she lost her phone while on vacation recently. She's with Bell, but I got my phone through Telus (it has a TELUS stamp on the front and comes loaded with a ton of Telus apps). Will Bell let her use it?

Depends on the model. It may be able to be used. Check under the battery cover. If it has an ESN or MEID, it can not be used. If it has an IMEI, it can be used as long as there is not also an ESN or MEID present.

If the device is not unlocked, you will have to get that done as well.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

There's a barcode and number underneath the battery that begins with "MEID DEC." I assume that's it? Guess she won't be getting it then. Why is that number incompatible?

What do I do with the phone now, then? I kind of don't want it to go to waste if I can help it. Am I able to donate it to a charity? I guess I can just toss it to e-recycling as a last resort.

Yeah, that's an MEID. Can't be used outside Bell.

I asked because it's the easiest way to identify a phone's radio technology. ESN/MEID are the serial number format given to CDMA phones. IMEI is the serial number format for GSM/UTMS phones.

CDMA devices cannot be activated with anyone other than their home carrier. GSM/UTMS devices can be unlocked and taken somewhere else, as long as the network is compatible.

The phone is still fine, but it can only be used on Bell. Feel free to donate it to a charity or someone, there's no reason to let it go to waste.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 11, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

You mean Telus, right? Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll donate the phone :)

Whoops. :downs: Yes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

spoof posted:

Wind Mobile started up in the last 2 weeks of 2009, Public Mobile March 2010 and Mobilicity May 2010. Koodoo I think has been more competitive since then as well. Together they may not be a majority of the market, but I would expect ARPU to have gone down a bit since then.

Latest ARPU for the Big 3 are:
Telus: $60.95
Bell: $56.72
Rogers: $69.75

So no, not really. :v:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
One phone number has always been linked to one SIM. It's just how the system works.

On Bell at least, you used to be able to change SIMs for free on-line, but they got rid of that. I'm not sure if the other carriers let you do that, I know TELUS did at least in the past.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do you need a device subsidy, or buying outright? If you're going to pick up an S4 shortly, just buy the plan on a SIM the last day of the deal and stick it in once you get the device.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

^ Yeah, fair enough. I'm on Rogers now, and if they pull a similar move, I'm going to argue that my contract should be canceled on pure principle and see how far it goes.

Don't worry, Rogers already charges extra to text the USA. :)

Telus and Bell were the holdouts, though now it's just Bell I guess.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh my god the :qq: is so strong. The icing on the cake.

Trying to tie the CAW to this, really? Fuckin' auto unions gonna raise your cellular bill!

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 4, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
A lawsuit came in... or three.

THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS INC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. GLOBALIVE WIRELESS MANAGEMENT CORP. ETC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. SHAW COMMUNICATIONS INC.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

At this point I just want someone in BC to start offering coverage outside of the lower mainland. Mobilicity or Wind I don't care which.

WIND has service in Victoria, but it's not "official" yet.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

So I still have about $-12 (negative twelve) left on my "bill" with my old carrier (TELUS). I don't know how it ended up this way because I made sure to pay the exact amount on my last bill. Am I able to get it back or is it lost forever?

Bell sends you a refund after 90 days to your credit card (if that's how you pay normally) or cheque. Not sure about TELUS.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

I suppose anything is better than Wind/Mobility ending up with the big 3. Here's the full text because of the Globe's paywall:

I haven't heard good things about Verizon in the US but they can't be worse than Rogers, Bell and Telus right? Right!?

Telenor was great when I was in Sweden and Denmark. I'd be happy for them to come in as a 4th.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

I know this is far from an original thought, but I'm sitting in the UK right now, and it really, really stings how badly Canadians get hosed on cellular. It's not even just about cost - the levels of bullshit here are so minimal compared to Canada. They have some really great offerings too, like £15 for a 3-month 3GB PAYG tablet sim, etc - things that are unimaginable in the True North.

I really hope this latest CRTC sabre rattling turns out to have teeth, and not the usual roar of a paper tiger.

Yeah. When I was in the UK I paid 15GPB for 300 minutes, 3000 outgoing text, unlimited data.

Imagine that in Canada.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Stupid question:

How do I go about retaining my 416 number when switching from Rogers to WIND? I've done my research and want to go with WIND but I know they'll tell me whatever I want to hear to get me to sign the contract and I don't trust Rogers as far as I can spit.

Do I go to WIND boutique and sign first, then come home and call Rogers to pay my 8 month cancellation fee? I assume the Rogers cancellation only takes place at the end of my monthly billing cycle, correct?

Thanks in advance :)

Go to the WIND store and tell them you'd like to bring your number over from Rogers. WIND will port it over and send the cancellation notice to Rogers. Rogers will cancel you and send a final bill, including the cancellation fee and 30 days of service. (I think they still require 30 days as far as I recall.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

DariusLikewise posted:

So I just setup Rogers over the phone, switching from Telus, whenever we port a home phone number here at Shaw we always need to get bill info from the customer and it takes a week to port. Is the process different for cell? The sales rep said I need to call Telus once the phone and SIM come and let them know to switch. Seems kind of convoluted.

Wireless porting is pretty instant. The reason they're asking you to call is that if they process the order immediately, you'd have no service until your phone arrived. (because the activated number would now be on the mobile phone in the mail, leaving your TELUS device useless.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

WienerDog posted:

Yea, but he said someone from Rogers told him to call Telus, which makes no sense.

As less than three said, you have to call Rogers when your phone shows up (it will have a temporary number) and they will do the port-in. They will need your Telus account number, PIN or IMEI.

Ah whoops. I just assumed it said "call Rogers" My bad.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

With Rogers, you never quite know whether to blame incompetence or greed...

I think that can be expanded to all 3, really.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

Also, access to the 2600MHZ LTE band is nice as well.

What band is this go on! :allears:

Do you mean 1900?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

Who offers this, out of curiosity? $45 with a gig, that is.

Koodo's $25 talk-and-text plan with Flex-Data.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well that's a lovely experience.

Unfortunately you're going to be dealing with (incompetent) Futuretel with all the carriers. It's not just WIND. When I worked at Bell we had a BB Pearl backlog of 4 months from them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Yeah I think my reaction was a guffaw and "Oh come ON! Seriously??"

Today at Starbucks I saw a copy of 24H sitting alone on a table, opened to that "PSA."

I like to imagine whoever was reading came to that page and just walked away, laughing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Here's the english text:

quote:

Bell Canada is taking the unusual step of writing to all Canadians today. As the nation’s longest-serving telecommunications company, established shortly after Confederation in 1880, we would like to ensure Canadians clearly understand a critical situation impacting their world-leading wireless industry.

Verizon Communications, a $120-billion US telecommunications giant with 100 million wireless customers, is considering entering the Canadian market. A company of this scale certainly doesn’t need handouts from Canadians or special regulatory advantages over Canadian companies. But that is exactly what they get in the new federal wireless regulations.

Bell welcomes any competitor, but they should compete on a level playing field. Fair competition is something Canadians demand and something Bell expects too after 133 years of investment in delivering world-class communications services to Canadians.

Unintended advantages for American giants: How we got here
The federal government has recently taken an activist role in regulating Canada’s wireless industry. That includes giving various benefits to small startup wireless competitors. With Ottawa’s help, the new companies have become part of the vigorously competitive Canadian wireless marketplace.

But the government inadvertently left holes in the wireless rules that would give big US corporations the same extraordinary advantages as the small startups. And all Canadians are on the hook to pay.

Verizon has said it’s looking at taking advantage of this unique opportunity. We do not believe a US company 4x the size of Canada’s entire wireless industry combined requires special help from Canada. It’s profoundly unfair to all Canadians, and Ottawa needs to close the loopholes.

3 loopholes in the rules
Under federal regulations originally designed for startup competitors, Verizon would actually get these benefits…

Verizon would be able to buy twice as much of Canada’s airwaves as Canadian companies like Bell can in an upcoming auction of wireless spectrum – the airwaves that carry your calls and data.

These airwaves are a public resource, and access to them is critical to providing you with world-leading wireless services. When Ottawa auctions off Canada’s airwaves for use by telecommunications companies, it gets significant revenues. These are public funds. It is inappropriate for our own government to essentially reserve a public resource for a company like Verizon to the detriment of Canadian companies. In doing so, the government will also reduce federal auction revenue significantly – by potentially hundreds of millions of dollars. A loophole that gives US companies access to twice as much of our airwaves and at a lower cost is an unfair advantage, paid for by Canadians.

They get to piggyback on the networks of Canadian carriers wherever they don’t want to invest and build their own.

Under the rules, Verizon would have the right to offer wireless service using the advanced networks funded by Canadian companies and built by Canadian workers. Industry experts say a Verizon wouldn’t need to build its own network throughout Canada, invest in Canada’s rural communities, or support Canadian jobs like Canadian wireless companies do. Instead, they would concentrate on a few big urban centres, forcing Canadian carriers to do the same while potentially cutting jobs and slashing costs in order to compete.

Verizon can acquire smaller Canadian competitors – but Bell and other Canadian wireless companies can’t even try.

American players like Verizon can buy up new Canadian wireless companies like Wind Mobile and Mobilicity at cut-rate prices – including their existing spectrum holdings previously subsidized by Canadian taxpayers.

Yet Canadian carriers like Bell are restricted from competing to acquire these Canadian startups, even if the new companies want it to happen. That means Verizon gets them for below-market value. What did Ottawa get from the United States in return for this unprecedented access to Canada? Nothing. No reciprocity in the US for Canadian companies. In fact, can you even imagine Canadian wireless companies getting preferred access to New York, Los Angeles or Chicago?
3 straightforward ways to close the loopholes
The Bell team is ready to compete with anyone for your business on a level playing field. But big US companies taking advantage of rules designed to help Canadian startup is just not on the level.

To get wireless policy back on track, we propose that…

Canadian wireless carriers should be able to bid for the same amount of Canada’s airwaves as Americans can.

US operators entering Canada should roll out wireless service across the country, just as Canadian companies have.

If a small Canadian wireless company seeks a buyer, Canadian carriers should be allowed to bid, just as the Americans can.
US giants don’t need special help from the Canadian government, and Canadians shouldn’t have to pay their way into the country.

Instead, let’s give Canada’s own communications companies a fair chance to compete with them.

Sincerely,

George Cope
President and CEO, Bell Canada and BCE

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
"lack of clarity" meaning "the government said no and that's not what we wanted to hear"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Italy's Chicken posted:

Hey guys, did you know Telus has a blog? Did you know it's written by complete idiots? Literally every point is false: http://blog.telus.com/public-policy/the-gift-of-verizon/

Apparently Verizon will be more expensive, won't build networks in rural communities (unlike the incumbents who got free money to do it), will build a back-door for the NSA, will buy ALL THE SPECTRUM making every other carrier spontaneously break.

... and that's just one of the blog postings. Another ridiculous post claiming Telus invests the most infrastructure of all the OECD countries, forgetting that there is a ton of money given from the provinces and feds to get Telus moving in the first place: http://blog.telus.com/public-policy/scratch-the-surface-and-the-shine-comes-off-critics-mythology/

Telus has taken the Foxnews approach to media relations.

I was going to comment, but the one comment already there does a better smackdown than I'd put the effort in to. Best to leave it there in all its glory.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
A REPLY TO BELL’S OPEN LETTER

Someone finally took the time to write the response we were all thinking.

quote:

Dear Mr. Cope,

Amongst your many traits as CEO of Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE), tenacity, enthusiasm for your trade, and perseverance top the list. Conspicuous in its absence from your letter, however, is your sense of irony.

You begin the “unusual step of writing to all Canadians” (Strange, isn’t it, that “Canada’s Top Communication Company” should find it unusual to communicate with its customers?) with a history lesson, ostensibly in the interest of helping us “understand a critical situation” now facing the wireless industry: the potential entrance of an American company into the Canadian market.

You inform us that, since Parliament granted Bell its charter in 1880, Bell has spent 133 years “investing in delivering world-class communications services to Canadians.” An impressive track record!

You must, however, be aware that Bell’s permission to operate in Canada was initially obtained by agents acting in the interest of the (American) National Bell Telephone Company and that, after securing a favourable charter, three top-level executives from National Bell were appointed to Bell Canada’s board of directors (Babe, 1990, pg 68-69). Or how about how American Bell initially owned 50% of your company, only fully divesting its interest 43 years ago, in 1970 (Winseck, 1998, pg 119)?

Bell began its life in Canada as a branch plant of an American company; in a strange twist of fate, it’s now a descendant of National Bell Telephone – Verizon – which is contemplating (re)entering the Canadian market. And they leveraged this relationship to get an early leg up on the competition – using patents owned by its American parent, Bell quickly monopolized the market for Canadian telephone services, a monopoly it used to funnel profits back to the States. (Smythe, 1981, pg 141)

You suggest that “US giants don’t need special help from the Canadian government,” but that’s exactly how Bell got to where it is today!

That’s all ancient history, however, and in the here and now, BCE is a Canadian company who “welcomes any competitor,” so long as they “compete on a level playing field.” Right?

You’re calling on the Federal government to close “loopholes” that are intended to promote competition in your industry – rules that your company has forced the government to create.

Regarding the three “loopholes” you want closed:

1. “Verizon would be able to buy twice as much of Canada’s airwaves as Canadian companies like Bell can in an upcoming auction of wireless spectrum – the airwaves that carry your calls and data.”

According to a recent article in the Financial Post, BCE currently holds license to 19% of Canadian radio frequencies designated for mobile use – that’s if you include the upcoming blocks of 700MHz in the total – or 29% if you don’t. Bell didn’t get most of that spectrum by paying market price, but through a ‘beauty contest’ – the government licensed mobile spectrum to Rogers, Bell, Telus and other regional providers such as MTS and SaskTel for pennies compared to market value.[1] You might call that “existing spectrum holdings previously subsidized by Canadian taxpayers,” something you’ve got in spades but would deny to your competition.

Even in the unlikely event that you don’t win a block of 700MHz in the upcoming auction, you’ll still be in control of 19% of all available mobile spectrum in Canada – more than twice as much as the set-aside provides for new entrants.[2]

The playing field looks pretty tilted from here.

2. “They get to piggyback on the networks of Canadian carriers wherever they don’t want to invest and build their own.”

At least you won’t have to worry about Verizon piggybacking on your network here in rural Manitoba – because you barely have one. Instead you’ve chosen to only cover the most densely populated (and most profitable) areas of the province while ignoring places like Thompson, Churchill and the Whiteshell – a practice that you reserve exclusively for Verizon. Where you do provide service – Ontario, Quebec, Vancouver, etc. (Winnipeg, Brandon, and immediately surrounding areas in MB) – you’re already sharing a network with TELUS. Since 2009, Bell and TELUS have been sharing their national 3G (HSPA) network infrastructure. You’ve needed help providing your services for years, why should we expect Verizon to go it alone?

Rogers also has similar agreements with regional providers such as MTS. In fact, all three national providers are already sharing their networks with their “competitors,” yet you actively campaign to exclude new entrants such as WIND and Verizon from the club. Not my idea of a level playing field.

3. “Verizon can acquire smaller Canadian competitors – but Bell and other Canadian wireless companies can’t even try.”

You note that “With Ottawa’s help, the new companies [WIND, Mobilicity, Public Mobile] have become part of the vigorously competitive Canadian wireless marketplace”. I have to point out that with your help, one of those companies is facing imminent financial insolvency, while the other two are actively courting buyers. Naguib Sawiris, WIND’s original backer, has frequently and publicly lamented his decision to test your waters. The previous contestants, (Clearnet and Microcell) I would add, met a similar fate when they were bought out by TELUS and Rogers in 2000 and 2004, respectively. Are we supposed to believe that TELUS is still competing with Koodo, or Rogers with Fido?

After every challenger contesting your dominance of the wireless market has been bought out or squashed, is it any wonder that the government wants to act to promote real competition?

Mr. Cope, I am Canadian. Like virtually every other Canadian I know, I rely on my mobile phone in my personal life and for my livelihood on a daily basis. The “critical situation” I face comes every month, when I open my wireless bill wondering whether I’ll be able to afford to pay it. Your company, along with Canada’s other major wireless providers, have had 30 years to address this situation. But you’ve failed. Posting huge profits and paying dividends year after year might satisfy your shareholders, but individual Canadians and their families are being hung out to dry. It’s time for a change. Faced with a choice between an American company fighting to gain a foothold in a hostile market or a Canadian one who takes my hard earned money for granted, I’ll pick the lesser of two evils. And if you don’t know which that is by now, I’ll happily send you a copy of my monthly phone bill.

~

[1]According to a report Bell submitted to Industry Canada’s invite-only Wireless Roundtable in 2010, total fees paid by spectrum licensees to IC is $132M per year, your share of which (29%) is $38.28M per year by my estimate. Sounds like a lot, until you consider that you paid nearly that much at auction just to secure AWS spectrum for Toronto alone (Per year cost of winning bid for 10 year license.) It’s fair to say that most of the spectrum you’re holding (and have been for up to 30 years) has cost you significantly less than market value. Why should you have access to public subsidies for spectrum but not your competitors?

[2] This estimate excludes spectrum held by Bell et al for radio and television broadcasting, but includes the BRS spectrum – intended for mobile internet but out of use since early 2012 – currently being hoarded by Inukshuk Wireless, a joint venture between Bell and Rogers. Also, it assumes that Verizon will not have completed acquisition of Wind or other new entrants prior to the auction.

Sources Cited:

Babe, Robert E. Telecommunications in Canada. University of Toronto Press, Toronto. 1990.

Smythe, Dallas. Dependency Road: Communications, Capitalism, Consciousness, and Canada. Ablex Publishing, New Jersey. 1982.

Winseck, Dwayne. Reconvergence: A Political Economy of Telecommunications in Canada. Hampton Press, New Jersey. 1998.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Great infographic on how the spectrum is currently allocated:

If Verizon were to win every auction they were eligible for, they'd have the area marked in pink.

They would be stupid to bid on two blocks in all license areas however (it would be terribly expensive in SK/MB/QC for the 2nd block) so in reality they wouldn't even get the whole pink share on the chart.

In short, the three already have more spectrum than any other carriers worldwide and are just sitting on their rear end with it.

If past auctions are any indication:
Rogers will get on one block in every territory.
Bell and TELUS will get one block in every territory except SK/MB/QC where they'll split the licenses between each other.
Verizon will get one block in every territory.
Regionals like SaskTel and MTS will get one block in their respective territories.

less than three fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 10, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

Anyone know anything about importing phones from China to use with Bell?

From the link:
CDMA 800/1,900MHz
GSM 900/1,800/1,900MHz

No, it won't work.

However the Golden one may. I don't have the network frequencies for that one.

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oakland Martini posted:

I have a Verizon Galaxy S4. Are there any Canadian carriers that I could get 4G LTE service on using my current phone? I know the S4 is the first phone to use Verizon's new LTE spectrum, and I was curious if anyone knows whether there are Canadian carriers that also use this spectrum. On the off chance that I can unlock the phone and just buy a new SIM card here, that seems like it would be the best option.

You will get 4G HSPA on all three of the carriers. No LTE as we use a different frequency for that. Our HSPA is pretty fast, so I'd just unlock and use the S4.

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 28, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dallan Invictus posted:

Do Verizon phones even handle HSPA given that they don't use it themselves?

According to Verizon's page, yes. Quad-band. It'd be garbage for roaming otherwise.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/samsung-galaxy-s4

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

If I'm prepared to pay for an iPhone 5s out of pocket what's likely to be my best bet?

Ideally I'd like to come out of it having spent roughly $800ish on the phone on a $60 month to month plan with unlimited calling/texting/2+ gigs of data. If not taking a $150 tab with Koodo or something is just leaving money on the table I'm fine with a tab but it'd take a ridiculous deal to get me to sign a contract.

http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/plans/shareplus_plans.shtml

unlimited with 2gb for $65.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hiyoshi posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. Any ideas?

It's fine if you can pay 400 up front. The new plans really prey on the people who want ~$0 iPhones~ or anything else with massive subsidies.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
In other cellular news, Microsoft is buying Nokia for 7.2 billion.

They'll run it into the ground like every other consumer venture I imagine. As a Windows Phone user, this makes me sad.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
BB10 is available and being given out to BC provincial employees. :barf:

iPhone is allowed too, so it's not bad I guess.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

I'm about to lose my 50% Rogers employee discount so I'm looking around at other providers. This is the first time I've looked at Wind and it looks like Wind only has native service in certain major Canadian cities, and any other city a user would have to pay roaming rates on Rogers. Is this true or am I mistaken?

I live in Victoria, BC if anyone has suggestions. Looking for something with 500-1000mb of data per month at any speed around $30-40/month if possible.

Yeah, that's true about WIND.

However they've had "unofficial" coverage in Victoria for a while now, at least a year.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stratdax posted:

Alright I have some stupid questions but my entire cellphone experience has been "buy dumbphone from Rogers, have a talk&text plan for the last 5 years".
Anyway, I have some Nokia dumbphone, and a plan that gives me 1000 weekday minutes, unlimited weekend minutes, and unlimited texting for $40 from Rogers. My contract expires in November. However, I was just given an iPhone 4S, which has a Telus sim card in it (but currently does not have any service).

So what would the best thing to do here be? Unlock the iPhone, start a new contract and continue using Rogers after November? Or finish out my contract with Rogers with my dumbphone, then once that's over start up a new contract with Telus to use the iPhone? Do I keep the previous owner's phone number or can I keep using the phone number I have with Rogers? Or should I sell the iPhone, finish my contract with Rogers, and go with a third option?

1. Unlock iPhone (Telus will charge for this IIRC) carry on with Rogers. You are not required to sign a new contract with Rogers to do this. Adding data will add around $25-30 to your existing plan.

or 2. Finish with Rogers, switch to Telus. You can keep your Rogers phone number. You aren't required to sign a contract with Telus. You could pick up a plan lik e this for $55/month, which includes Canadian Long Distance.

With option 2, you could choose to sign a 2 year contract with Telus and get a free Nexus 4. You could then sell the Nexus or the iPhone for some extra cash.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

stratdax posted:

Oh sweet, looks like I have a few more (and better) options than I thought. Thanks guys, I'll think about what to do here. Probably just keep the iPhone and switch to Telus in November, for simplicity's sake.

That's the route I would have personally done given the options. That $55 plan ends up being $50 with the 10% discount.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ante posted:

Man, you something is pretty hosed when plans are going backwards, not forwards.

They're punishing the public for having the gall to demand the end of some of the worst Uniquely Canadian telecom policies.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

cobra_64 posted:

With Telus if I use the option to upgrade my phone and pay out my device balance do I keep the phone? I have an iphone 4 just about to the end of the contract and I am thinking of paying it out, that becomes my wifes phone and I get a new device (not sure which one I want yet). Telus has these share plans now which I will do some looking into to see if it is a good fit.

Yeah, the device is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Khelmar posted:

I thought SaskTel was CDMA?

They upgraded to HSPA around the same time as Telus/Bell.