Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

I have no idea but I doubt it. It's one of those situations where one person was handling all of the finances. There's also a device balance on her phone which complicates things. Ugh.

Yeah, I worked as a Bell call centre drone and if your name isn't on the account or in the authorised names field I'd just nope you off the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

Not that I'd ever suggest doing this but if you have a person of the correct gender call in with all the correct identifying information, then what would stop them from porting out the number, security questions?

Porting is all done by the receiving carrier. If they wanted to say with Rogers that would work.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If they're on that bad of terms now is a device tab balance that big of an issue? :justport:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:sigh: it worked then and it's going to work again now

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I missed this lmao

quote:

The company’s executive also said that it would reduce philanthropic spending.

what assholes. maintain the status quo or the charities get it!!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

VERTiG0 posted:

Does mean that as soon as I start a new account with, say, Telus, there is some notification sent to Rogers to close my account and that my number is now a number with Telus' system?

Bingo

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
and it still takes 2 weeks if one side is a land-line lol.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

That, 2 year contract max, and a ban on SIM locking once a contract is up. But yea, it's not enough.

I'd argue the 2 year contract thing ultimately failed in implementation because now they've just axed device subsidies entirely in favour of device financing, while not lowering the price of plans to reflect the now lack of device subsidy.

When cell plans now look more like car leases you know it's all out of hand.

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 23, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

Thanks for the link, no need to be an rear end.

I guess that plan will be good for normal humans who can keep their phone pristine but that sure as poo poo ain’t me. Also you know Rogers will try to gently caress your real good on this.

They offer a $13 'device protection plan' making it more expensive than the straight up financing to keep, and you still have to give the phone back after 2 years.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Knowing Canadian Cellular they'll graciously reduce data overage rates to $10/gb, down from the current $22/gb or some other meaningless bullshit.

edit: it's even less. this is TELUS and Koodo

quote:

Until the end of April, we will support you by:

Waiving all Easy Roam® and pay-per-use roaming charges for postpaid customers that are stuck in areas with Level 3 advisories and are unable to return to Canada

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 14, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah unless you want 1080p Youtube videos on your phone Public's 3G product is fine.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

fisting by many posted:

That's not bad. I wonder why they call it 3G then. You'd think they could get away with a name like "LTE Lite".

They call it "at 3G speed" which definitely could be improved in its wording.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I actually like LTE Lite, where the other service is LTE Plus

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just looked in the self-serve and you can't buy any 4G upgrade.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anything other than signing up online by yourself (which is still a crapshoot) is asking for trouble. Don't believe anything told to you at an in person kiosk, even more so the 3rd party like Wirelesswave/TBooth

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

Babylon?

So far, the only time I've received any emails at all has been Telus virtue-signaling during the crisis.

Babylon by TELUS Health gives you a video call on your phone with a doctor, and then they bill the public healthcare system 2x the rate what it would have been to see a doctor in person at a clinic.

less than three fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 18, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

How on earth does it make sense for Telus to be involved at all? Why would I not just do a Facetime/Duo call with the doc and cut out the middleman?

True. But in the grand scheme of things TELUS has been acquiring healthcare companies left and right over the years to build themselves up as a major benefits/pharmacy/health provider.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think Bell has been the worst over the decade, but anything regarding TELUS Nitr0 shows up with a vengeance like they personally killed his dog.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rural-telco-customers-internet-costs-increase-1.5561755

:jerkbag: We can't offer unlimited data for safety reasons. Unlimited data would (somehow) put 911 service and first responders at risk!

I swear they have a department that solely exists to make up bullshit excuses, no matter how unbelievable, to justify their gouging ways.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rogers, Bell, and TELUS have all announced they're snubbing Huawei and going with Ericsson/Nokia, so I guess it saves the government from having to make the official decision.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
So I switched to Public Mobile yesterday, and despite the plan saying you'll be capped to 3mbps, is it not widely enforced? I'm getting this on LTE+

less than three fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 6, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

As I understood those weren't capped, though, supposedly the newer plans are speed limited to less than LTE.

Yeah mine explicitly said I'd be limited to 3mbps but I'm not seeing it in practise.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah. That'd be 23/mo for 1gb, or 33 for 2gb.

If you do it, get a referral code from the Goons already on PM. You get :10bux: and we get $1/mo credit.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 30, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What's the non-poo poo stuff these days? $35/month is about as much as I really feel like paying, 1gb is a decent bump from my 100mb (I don't really use much data), and I'm in a small BC town.

From the Koodo screenshot, Tab Small is $10/mo in addition to whatever it says there. If you want a phone subsidy, it's merely okay. If you're doing BYOD don't bother.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

Can you post it? Cheers

2MM20O (zero-O)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have no opinion, but Koodo has the Coolpad Snap.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ArcaneMan posted:

Question: I have a toronto 416 number. I moved to a different province years ago and just kept my number/plan because long distance isn’t a thing anymore. I now want a new phone/plan.

Can I keep my 416 area code even though my billing address will be in another province? I don’t care about the area code specifically I just don’t want to go through the hassle of changing numbers since I plan on moving to a third province in less than a year.

Yes. Virtually everyone has nationwide calling now so it's not a big deal. You might need to adopt an SK number to get those sweet SK plans though.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To add another page to the countless pile that wireless data is artifically restricted for nothing but profit, TELUS is now offering the following LTE data plans for rural customers:

100GB $60/mo
500GB $75/mo
1TB $110/mo

If you enter an urban address, the offer is not available to you, gently caress you pay $75 for 20gb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rooted Vegetable posted:

So it appears that, through my employer (EPP), I can get either Rogers or Telus service at Freedom prices. 30% discount of the service fee basically for the 15gb + Canada Wide anything plans (for both), usually $80, around $56. Activation fee also waved in the the case of Telus.

Tbh I've been happy with Freedom for the most part, but I can't ignore that the network isn't as good and turning on roaming in areas near the US border is a dangerous game.

Phone wise, I want a Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G and only Telus has it in stock in black on EPP. Rogers has it in bronze, Freedom list it but it's out of stock.

Also, in Telus' case, I've already got Fibre through them. Does anyone know if EPP discount stacks with the multiple service discount?

Also just help me make the decision, I'm still picking between the big 4 now (in BC).

Mobility EPP doesn't count for bundle discounts.