Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mobilicity has been pretty good, not a single ad yet. The only downside is every week before my bill is due I'll get a text saying "PLEASE PAY YOUR BILL IN A WEEK OR YOU WILL BE >>>CUT OFF<<<!!!!" and then again a few days later. And then again on the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Martytoof posted:

Well, there goes that. Thanks anyway.

e: Although google says otherwise: "Canadian law requires that at least one party in the phone call be aware of the recording."

Most 'big' call centers record every call just for that reason; to be able to rebut a customer who claims 'but he said I'd get this for $10' and so on. My previous job had a nasty situation that spiraled into a lawsuit over just such a thing; they started looking into recording almost immediately afterward. Sadly, the amount being dickered over was about $100 and was clearly a he said/she said situation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You might be able to request it, I found this on Howard's:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-recording-phone-calls-580956/

This seems encouraging too:
https://rogerswatch.wordpress.com/recording/

I just googled for 'request recording of customer service call rogers' since I know Rogers is infamous for this. Maybe try plugging in the company name you're interested in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My mobilicity plan has north america wide unlimited calling?
http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

Pretty sure Wind does too.

EDIT-Yeah they do:
http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Anyone having 3g mobilicity problems in downtown van? I haven't been able to connect since last night. Normal service is fine

EDIT-Never mind, contacted them. They've confirmed a 3g outage across the lower mainland that should be resolved later today.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there a way do three party conference calls on a cheap crappy plan like my Mobilicity $45 one? I've got a client phone meeting that I've realized I can't be in the office for

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Squibbles posted:

I think all Mobilicity plans include 3-way calling but I don't know how to initiate it.

Figured it out (on android). When you're on a call those top 3 buttons are there on the screen. The middle one is 'End Call' (red phone), the one on the right is 'keypad' (a little keypad), and the one the left is 'add call' (little plus sign). After you're connected to the first party just press the 'add call' and dial out to your other party. Apologies for that description but I thought it might help people not on android phones figure out where it is too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Welp, had to happen sometime I guess. I was all in love with Mobilicity and now their network has gone to poo poo. I haven't had data connectivity in the last hour and a half, and for voice I keep flipping between Roaming and Emergency service.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Depending on the model you might not even have to go to a third party. There's a bunch of info in the jailbreak thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396

Though you'll want to look for unlock specific stuff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been on Mobilicity for years now at $44.80/mo with "unlimited" (2 gb/mo then throttled to usable but not great speeds) data, unlimited texting across north america, and unlimited long distance across north america. Has anyone heard any rumblings about that going away now that Rogers bought them and apparently/might be folding them into chatr? Or alternatively, if I can finally get a real fast signal (4G/H+/etc) on Rogers infrastructure instead of limping along on HSPA?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh boy. Mobilicirogers has taken away direct bank bill payment options. Why? No reason given, other than probably not being able to soak you for a "convenience charge". Guess I'll have to take a half day off every month to go to the one mobilicity store near me that's actually open.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My old coworker was on wind while I was mobilicity. He had no problems in greater Vancouver area at all, and I'm convinced his data was faster than mine, so all in all pretty good. They had a good roaming plan when we went to Vegas. If you're not in van though that's probably pretty useless to you.

I really like my Nexus 6p after rocking an og Nexus 4 for 4 years, but it's also the most expensive phone I've ever owned, and that was buying cheaper off Craigslist

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any of my mobilicity peeps get this sms today?

quote:

Mobilicity: You may have heard Mobilicity will be joining the chatr family in the fall. We have exciting news to share about your exclusive chatr plan! Visit mobilicity.ca/mychatrmove/ now for all the details and to learn more! Plus, as a bonus for completing the site you will earn a 10 dollar bonus credit in your chatr account within 30 days of when you join.

I'm phone posting and don't have time to check it right now so if anyone else does and finds out they're jacking rates let me know. Otherwise I'll update tonight after work.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got my Nexus6P for -$150 off list price from Craigslist but that kinda involves randos.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I noticed that too. Still have the 2 block dead zone right at Boundary road and Loughheed Highway though at the McDonald's there. Is Chatr/mobilicity still on the same crap spectrum as it was before? Or will the rogers switch over change that?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I went through the Mobilicity -> Chatr conversion. Pretty straightforward, was given a plan that doesn't cost more than my current, and has more "unlimited" data than the same price plan on Chatr. 6gb data, unlimited talk/text in north america, voice mail, caller id, etc. $40/mo before fees. I won't get my next bill for two weeks so we'll see what happens with "hidden" charges, and I'm expecting the plan to be down-sized at any moment.

Speed/coverage is negligibly improved as compared to Mobilicity, still only in major metro areas despite Rogers having far more coverage than that. You get way more screwed on roaming now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The impression I always got was that their various systems just couldn't handle reserving/managing inventory at that level (e.g. "reserve phone (y) from shipment (x) for customer (z) where shipment (x) isn't coming to this store").

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Unless I missed something I believe number portability is required for all Canadian carriers by the CRTC as a consumer protection measure:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Acer Pilot posted:

I finally got a text from mobilicity saying that I'll be moved to chatr "soon"

Yeah when I went in last week to pay my bill the guy said that November is when everyone's getting moved over

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got moved to chatr from mobilicity over the weekend. Everything is.... slower? Any Vancouver migrated peeps chime in with their own experience. It's not unusable, but just about everything (web page load, forums app load) takes nearly a second longer for mobile optimized stuff (e.g. news.google.com) and sometimes a full 2-3 seconds longer for "normal" web pages.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DuckConference posted:

Isn't mobilicity 3G only or something?

Yeah, so I was thinking chatr would be a side-grade at best speedwise, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Though I think there might be throttling/shaping going on. I wrote that first message during business hours, but then I've noticed that during evenings it seems to be back to mobilicity era speed and responsiveness. This has been true every day since the switch (11/4), that I get slower speeds during business hours than at night so far.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm still super happy with my 6p isn't that like way cheaper than a pixel now?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of band usage I wanted to pick youse guys brains. At work we sell enterprise coffee equipment, and for one them the manufacturer is offering a GSM modem for remote troubleshooting/programming/etc. Problem being, they've only used it in Europe. This is the hardware:
http://www.gemalto.com/m2m/solutions/modules-terminals/terminals/bgs2t

It says "Global Quad-Band 2G" right on it, but I wanted to double check, is that a spectrum all the providers support? E.g. it's not like the old days where Telus used X and Rogers used Y? Figured I should know this in advance before we get a sim card for it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Huh, interesting. I didn't even think about the possibility of the networks being retired. Apparently Bellus had 2G(CDMA) in place, but they've announced retirement as of May 2017, and everyone else probably by 2020. I read that here:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/insights/the-lte-revolution-has-only-just-begun-and-networks-try-to-catch-up/

They go into some of the implications for IoT/embedded devices. Apparently a lot of the early fleet management hardware/software is 2G reliant for example. This could be problematic since it's obviously still around in Asia/Africa/Most of Europe.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

According to people on Red Flag Deals Chatr is increasing every retention plan from Mobilicity by $5 on their 1 year anniversiary:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mobilicity-chatr-merge-2026967/78/

I'm just shocked, shocked I tell you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Acer Pilot posted:

Ugh, my Nexus 5 finally got the power button issue. Anyone happen to know of a place in Vancouver to get it fixed? It's basically stuck in a boot loop if you plug in the USB.

I don't know how useful they are, but if you're downtown by Stadium/Chinatown there's a couple "screen repair" kiosk style places in International Village Mall née Tinseltown.

EDIT-Maybe try to moon geat thread for Vancouver, it's a bit more active/local

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 15, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dillbag posted:

This. Wind pricing was good and their $15/mo US roaming plan was amazing, but their coverage is loving atrocious. I spent two years without coverage in a quarter of the buildings in downtown Vancouver, including the entire Rogers Arena, before I said gently caress it and switched to Public Mobile.

IIRC their ON/QC coverage was much better than it was out west, which was kind of the backbone of their business.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm still waiting for CHATR to eventually kill my "unlimited" data grandfathered plan from mobilicity (actually 6gb, after that throttled) if $60/10gb is now the going rate.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder if this means Chatr will start cutting down all the plans grandfathered in from Mobilicity (like mine, "unlimited" data actually 6gb then throttled, unlimited Canada-wide talk and text for $40).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

WTF Chatr

sms msg posted:

Important chatr service msg: On your next anniversary date of 07/23/18 your monthly service fee will increase by $5 per month. All other aspects of your service will remain the same. If you have any questions or wish to change / cancel your chatr service, please contact us at https://www.chatrmobile.com/contactus or call 1-800-485-9745. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code.

Guess I had a good run for $40/mo unlimited everything. Now to find a replacement I guess.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sooo now it's $45 for unlimited? Wtf? You're complaining about that?!

I'm guessing it's a slippery slope thing that will end in either the retirement of all those plans, or incrementally pricing it up to ridiculous bellus levels

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's demonstrating a real weakness to the caller ID system I think. For a while they were using my number, and I got a bunch of angry Chinese person calls. Don't know of it's straight up Id spoofing or using the Malaysia country code hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Evis posted:

That’s interesting. How is that supposed to work?

Right now caller ID is based in trust and nothing else. If you have access to your calling stack (e.g. like every VoIP box ever) you can put whatever you want in there.