Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

If I want to port a number from Rogers, should I cancel my Rogers account first, or setup WIND service first?

I ported my number from Telus to Fido about 4 years ago, I was told I'd lose the number if I cancel first. I think the safe bet is go to WIND and port your number on the last day of your Rogers contract, and let WIND deal with cancelling your Rogers account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

dahkren posted:

I ended up getting the nexus from a store front in London and ended up paying around 400$ after Fido dollars and stuff.. the girl there confirmed it would be unlocked.

Side question: does anyone's galaxynexus get REALLY hot up near the camera? Even playing like logo quiz, my phone gets really hot to the point where you don't even want to touch it.. Up near the camera, is this common or should I try and take it back as defective?

You were able to get a nexus with fido dollars with no contract?

I'd say the heat near camera sounds normal too, mine does the same.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I lost my phone once a long time ago and the Fido kiosk charged me $20 for a replacement sim. :argh:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I remember sims used to be $20... I lost my phone once and fido charged me $20 for a replacement sim, I couldn't even put it on my fido dollars.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Anybody heard of Zoomer Wireless? They have a double everything promo right now so for $40.50 you get 500 Canada-wide minutes and 1GB data. Some Googling suggest they were own by CityFone which is now own by Rogers. Their website suggest they use the Roger's 3G/LTE network. Will I have to deal with Roger's customer service rep? I'm currently with Fido and my contract ends in 2 days. This looks almost too good to be true.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/smartphone-and-blackberry-plans/

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Scudworth posted:

I'd suggest calling and asking them some questions, as both Zoomer Media and CARP are orgs for seniors, and the phone plans are intended for them. As per the legal stuff at the bottom, the plans come with a CARP membership and you have to be at least 55 years old to get one of those.

I couldn't get through to Zoomer's customer service, but I called their parent company CityFone who is offering a similar deal, 400 weekday Canada-wide minutes/1GB data/unlimited text/caller ID/voicemail for $40/month + 50% off for the first 3 months, on new activations with 2-year contracts only. With the 2-year contract you can also get one of the low-end Rogers phones for $0 (Galaxy S III Mini, HTC Desire 510, Galaxy Core LTE, Lumia 635, BlackBerry Q5). The promo ends January 31.

I also called up Fido and see what they can offer me. They let me keep my old $30 data and were able to switch my stupid local minutes/local SMS/caller ID/voicemail package to their new $35 standard plan with 10% off. So for $61.5 (30+31.5) I'm getting 250 weekday Canada-wide minutes/6GB data/unlimited international MMS/caller ID/voicemail. That's not too bad eh? Almost comparable to the SK/MB plan. I may just end up keeping this on month-to-month.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I have one of those iPhone launch era 6GB Rogers data plans that I've managed to keep in a plan bargained down to about $70/month. My monthly daytime minutes are poo poo, I pay a ridiculous $0.50 per MMS, I don't get Canada-wide calling, and the US / EU $5/day options aren't available because I'm somehow still a small business customer. How practical would it be to do the following:

-Buy a Skype number
-Forward my current Rogers number to Skype
-Move to a different area code and keep the old Rogers number

My data roams within Canada just fine, so the only issue would be if forwarding is extremely predatory and counts the Skype number as long distance and/or counts call time after the forward. Skype credit for local / in-country calling is so cheap that I could probably drop my voice plan to bare minimum if the fixed number was a significant cost.

It was the $30 6GB add-on correct? have you tried paired it with their cheapest talk/text plan? I have it with Fido and I managed to keep the data add-on and paired it with their old $31.5 byop standard plan so I'm paying $61.5/month for 6GB, 250 weekday Canada-wide minutes, unlimited MMS, caller ID, and mini voicemail. I tried to switch to their current $27 talk/text plan and they said it's "not compatible" with my 6GB add-on. :rolleyes:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I also got bonus 1GB with Fido. I didn't have to do anything, when I checked my account details online the bonus 1GB was there.

Also responding to my previous post, they let me switch my talk/text plan to the $27 option this time. So I'm paying $57 for 7GB/300 min Canada-wide weekday/unlimited MMS

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 3, 2015

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

THC posted:

I am fairly happy with my 6GB Rogers plan but I rarely use more than half of it, and I often find myself camping in an area that only has Telus service, so lopping $20 off my bill while receiving better coverage would be p chill. Just saw this in the fine print though, is this typical?

quote:

Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.

I'm on the $25 talk & text + $30 6GB add on with Fido. Looking at my bill looks like they calculate per 1KB by day.

I tried rounding every day to the nearest 10KB and it's about 38KB extra, not a big deal I think.

EDIT: My math was off, after rounding up every day to the nearest 10KB it's 138KB extra. Still pretty negligible I think.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 27, 2016

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I ported to PM mid-billing cycle and just got my "last Fido bill" email. It's $-31.93. Do they owe me money? :confused:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I was on month-to-month post-pay though. Was my monthly bill actually extra usage from previous month plus next month's services? I'm waiting for Fido customer service to call me back "between 37 and 50 minutes," I guess current customers have priority now.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Can anybody recommend a legit unlock service online or a store in Vancouver area? I saw a place in an Asian mall today that charges $80 to unlock a phone. :shepface:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Unlock or jailbreak/root? You can get unlock codes online for like $10-20 and do it yourself.

Just unlock, any specific site you have used before you can recommend? I know there are tons of different sites but all look kind of shady.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Nope not an iPhone, it's a HTC one... thing or another.

Sweet, thanks!

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
After more than 3 months and 4 chat sessions with Fido customer service I finally received the refund cheque for my last bill credit. :toot:

Pretty happy with Public Mobile, no issues with me as well. I use "Data Witness PM" app to track my usage, it's pretty handy and free for Public Mobile users.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

Woah what a great company... a free app to check your usage? My heavens blessings be to public mobile

Fuckin sheep

It's a third party app made by some dude who uses PM and lets you set 60/90-day billing cycles since default Android tracker doesn't do that. Chill the gently caress out.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
So the Pixel 2 is now $0 down on a Large Tab (Tab Large?) with Koodo. I somewhat remember Risky Bisquick(?) bought a new phone for basically half the price by signing up the tab, cancel right away and pay off the remaining tab. Very tempted to get the Pixel 2 now. Does this trick still work? Will I get stuck with first month's bill and cancellation fees?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

James Baud posted:

With Google it's way better to buy phones direct for any warranty issues that arise since they'll ship you a new one practically overnight and then you ship them the old one for free after and never think about it again. I got stuck with a Koodo loaner for almost a month when I had to send my Pixel in (within a month or two of getting it)

But not "spend double" better!

Google/HTC is still the manufacturer though, don't they honor manufacturer warranties if the device is paid off? I thought you only need to deal with carriers if the phone is not paid off yet.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 12, 2017

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
The 2-year mark is just around the corner for everyone on this deal right? That's $2/month loyalty rewards plus the $1 we already have, so it's like $47 instead of $50 which is not as bad??? :shepspends:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
So y'all switching to this $40/month for 5GB Koodo deal? I can't decide... 5GB seems nice, and I've used all of 12GB in less than 90-days a couple times.

Before this PM plan I was on $57/month for 200mins & 6GB, so $40 for unlimited Canada-wide & 5GB is a pretty sweet deal.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Shofixti posted:

I'm very skeptical of these offers. They wouldn't be trying so hard to move people off the PM plan and onto Koodo without some sort of strategy for eventually extracting more money from their customers. If Telus doesn't like the PM plan, to me that indicates I should stay with it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I just figure they want more people signing up tabs and buy phones from them.

Also I haven't got the 6GB deal text yet! :mad:

Edit: just received it! :v:

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2018

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I only get Tim's when I'm at the airport. The Filipino ladies are always nice to me. The young rear end in a top hat hipster jerks at Starbucks rip me off all the time.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 15, 2018

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Is Koodo's Black Friday deal for Pixel 3 good? My Nexus 6 is crapping out and need a new phone. I'm on the $40/6GB plan so I think I'm eligible for tab medium. Right now it's $250 down, $360 on tab, and $150 in bill credits which works out to be $460 plus tax. I was eyeing the Nokia 7.1 from Amazon which works out to be about $400 USD after import fee so might as well go with the Pixel. Am I doing the math right?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

This is wrong. I got the exact same deal as the dude above was going for on the 40/6gb PM migration plan, got the phone for 250 up-front on tab medium and didn't have to change away from the promo plan.

Yep just placed the order as well and I get to keep my current plan. Now I need to buy a case. :dance:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Seconding open a credit card dispute. Tell them you never received the product and had made attempts to resolve it with the merchant but got no help. They usually credit the customer first and the onus will be on the merchant to defend the case. Let Virgin/Bell fight with Visa/MasterCard.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I managed to switch to the $39/20GB plan with Koodo, had to pay off my "tab bonus" which essentially means buying my pixel 7 pro at full price but I think it's worth it in the long run. The first rep tried to offer me $40/20GB but I didn't take it because every dollar counts :arghfist:

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 30, 2023

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

mewse posted:

Did you have to talk to someone? This chatbot on the koodo website is (designed to be) useless

Yeah I talked to first rep for like 10 minutes, he gave me the usual BS like the plan is only for new customers and I have tap bonus remaining and such. I said I'm willing to pay off my tap and I can go to any other provider and get the deal. He put me on hold for a few minutes and then offered me $40/20GB. I said no and he put me through to the second tier rep, I had to say all the same things again but she gave me the plan right away.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Just spent 30 minutes with Koodo retention, I asked if they could match the Public Mobile's $34/20GB 5G deal. They gave me the usual BS that the promos are for new customers only and their 5G plans start at $55, and then they offered me $35/25GB 4G. I get to stay with Koodo and keep call control. I'm considering this as a moral victory.

Anybody noticed if LTE signals are weaker? I used to get full bars everywhere around Metro Vancouver, now on occasions I'm noticing 1/2 or 1/3 signal :tinfoil:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
And now the promo is $34 for 30GB :shepface:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Well I just switched to $35/50GB 4G in Koodo self serve, didn't need to call and threatening them to leave at all. I was on the $35/25GB retention plan for a total of 9 days :v:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Maybe Rogers will be forced to let you pay by bitcoin.

When Rogers first started issuing credit cards I was still with Fido and they pre-approved me for one. I switched to Public (and then Koodo) like a month later but I'm still using the card since they have pretty good cashback and foreign currency exchange rates compare to other big bank credit cards. I feel like Rogers is paying be to be with Telus :cool:

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Wait so Telus owns Koodo AND public mobile? Why do they have two budget brands?

If the service coverage is the same it looks like public has the best offer available to me; $34 for 30gb at 5G speed, vs everyone else offering $34-35 for 30gb at 4g speeds.

Rogers owns Fido and Chatr too.

Public's "monthly" plans are technically 30-day prepay plans, so it works out to be a little bit more than traditional monthly plans advertised at the same rate.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Squibbles posted:

PM also has no option for phone support afaik so if you're experiencing any kind of issue you are stuck with email, forums or twitter for getting help. Presumably that's one of the 'perks' of going up to koodo

Yeah and Koodo has tabs if you want to get a phone with a discount, although the tab plans are getting worse.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2023

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Well call control really just stop robo calls, a real human can press the number it asks them to press and it'd go through.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I have a Pixel and I use the screen call function for everything, even if it's from my boss or people I know. :smuggo:

My work phone is an old iPhone with Bell and I get robo spam calls all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Why are we talking about getting groceries like a bunch of middle-aged assholes?

Anyway I'm Asian so it's either T&T (Loblaw) or Asian PriceSmart (Jim Pattinson) there's no escape. And we're too cheap to get Costco membership.