Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The ones downtown have that Microsoft surface or pixelsense or whatever it's called now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm currently one of said shady guys on craigslist, selling a Rogers iPhone 4 for $320: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/3098494962.html. I'll let it go for $280 if some Vancouver goon is interested.

(If this isn't kosher for this thread, please let me know and I'll remove).

If only it was Bell. I've been looking at trading/selling my Desire Z to get an iPhone, and that's a really good price.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

DarkJC posted:

T-Mobile (the U.S. AWS carrier) is spending money converting their network over to frequencies the iPhone does support, so I wouldn't count on one this year either :(

This is pretty much the death of any hopes of an AWS iPhone. The only hope that Wind/Mobilicity have of getting an iPhone is to pick up enough LTE spectrum at the next auction and hope that there is an LTE iPhone sometime. As I recall the government was standing in the way of letting them get a bunch of spectrum so yeah. I hope you enjoy working with your corporate overlords.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

He has no data on his plan, never has. He doesn't want to use the phone to browse or anything; just the occasional text message. Is there any way I can call Rogers and ask them to block all data on his line so he doesn't incur any weird charges, or will it just plain not allow him to browse or otherwise use the internet without a data plan?

My information may be out of date but Rogers will not block data. Your best bet is to mangle the apn in the device settings, otherwise an errant tap could cost him whatever ludicrous rate they are charging these days. There are software solutions to this, but after two years of Android experience I woldn't trust money to them.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Mordecai posted:

"The monthly credit is applicable only for monthly add-ons and pay per use charges and is not valid toward your monthly plan fees (that is, the $40/month plan fee)."

Doesn't seem so great unless you have a lot of addons.

You could get one of the cheaper plans and load it up with addons to get the same features of the $40 plan. I remember that being possible in the early days of Wind at least.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

never happy posted:

Will a non-telus GSM phone be able to work with a telus data?

I ask this because I have a pretty good telus promo plan but I wanted to add data, I added a data-flex plan on their website. When I tried accessing the web on my phone it said "Browser cannot load this page because there is no internet connection". So I called them and apparently I can't add data on my plan :downs: Nothing in my plan stated I can't add data, nor did the data add-on state that I can't add it to my plan. They just told me I can't do it, and because it's a promotional plan and they're doing me such a huge favor I should be happy with what I got...

Anyways, I'm going to raise a stink again with Telus, but I wanna just confirm that data will actually work with a non-telus GSM phone with Telus.

Is it unlocked? Which frequencies does it support? For a non-Telus phone to work on the Telus network it will need to be unlocked and operate on the 1900/2100 HSPA(+) frequency.

Devices that won't work typically come from Wind, Mobilicity, and T-mobile, though some Nokia phones and the GSM Galaxy Nexus should because they support all 5 common bands.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

never happy posted:

The phone is a Motorola XPRT that was originally a sprint phone. I already have the phone and it works fine, I can talk and text with it. But I can't tell if it would work with data yet.

A quick google reveals that the phone supports HSPA 850/1900/2100, so yes, you can get data on it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

OilSlick posted:

poo poo son, Bell is now offering the $60 fab 10 plan with 6 GB instead of 1 GB. Everything else is the same, offered on any term no contract renewal required. It's offered until August 8th and not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan because we hate you or something.

Thanks for pointing that out. I might have to jump on that. I'm sure I can justify it after you helped me save that $5 on vm/Cid

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I jumped on the new 6GB promo plan for Bell (new job!), and fortunately I double checked the agent's work because the first one gave me the blackberry plan, which apparently would have caused me charges since I don't have a blackberry. My usage meter is still showing that I only have 1GB though. Is that something that will be updated at midnight or some such nonsense?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I had them apply it immediately since my billing date is the 19th. I guess I'll call them again.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Virgin is offering a $25 "After work plan". It mentions that data is pay per use, which links to a page that shows the different tiers of data usage up to 3GB. In the upper corner of the page it has a big $25 graphic. Does this mean that I would pay $25 for the voice plan, $25 just for the privilege of having data, plus whatever my data usage is or just $25 for the voice plan plus whatever data usage I incur? If it's the latter and they are still offering similar plans when my 3 year sentence with bell is up next august, I'll definitely be switching.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

What is the process for getting an unlocked iPhone put on your Bell account? I assume it would be as simple as walking into a Bell store, purchasing a nano sim, installing it, and having them activate the new SIM but I've learned not to make assumptions with these clowns.

e: They aren't going to try to charge me extra for LTE are they?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Does Bell not have an iPhone unlock policy like Rogers and Telus? I've got the dough to buy one outright but Apple will only sell them (in store) locked, and I plan to switch carriers next year unless they really wow me with a deal.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

So why not just buy one from Apple.com?

I have one on order, estimated delivery: October 31.

vvvv I'll be fine. I'm just curious if it is the case that Bell is really the only carrier that won't unlock an iPhone when the user is off contract. All the more reason to switch.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 25, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

gently caress, you shell out $700+ in store and it's not even unlocked? It wasn't like this last year when I picked up a 4S. What gives?

Yeah, that would make sense. I took an early lunch to get to the store for opening on Monday, and I was third in line when the genius reminds everyone they are only selling locked devices. Told me I had to go online to get an unlocked one. I'd never heard of that before.

I can only assume the carriers are getting their tentacles into Apple now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Do any of the providers still do couple/family plans? I've scoured their websites, but didn't find anything so I'm thinking no.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

OilSlick posted:

All plans nowadays are share plans. Everyone picks an individual rate plan and they can link together to share minutes, data, and texts (assuming both parties have them) and free calls between members.

Is that only Bell? I can't find anything similar with Koodo or Virgin.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

So, tell me about third party iPhone unlocking services. I may have to end up getting a locked iPhone from the store after all due to some issues with UPS delivering the unlocked one I ordered.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm in north Burnaby and had two lines since they opened up shop. I cancelled the first line after 3 months because they never did get service up at SFU. The second line I cancelled a year later after my wife got sick of not being able to hear the caller even with full signal. I don't know if things have improved since then, but judging by the anecdotes I've heard, not really. A friend of mine at work has Mobilicity service and also the same complaints.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 31, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Alctel posted:

So the Nexus 4 is ridiculous, and is going to make me get my first smart phone.

Can I just get a simcard from any of the major providers, plug it in and get it working?

edit: loving hell, i forgot how bad canadian cell plans are. This is why I've used a pre-paid since I moved here

The specs I've seen say that it's pentaband, so yes. It will work with all of our providers. Obviously you won't get LTE data from those providers that have it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Can't you prepay for all of Wind's plans? I'd get one of their unlimited data deals.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

My experience with LTE on my iPhone is that, while it's not as fast as some of the numbers I've seen reported on verizon, I'm able to reliably bring down 10MBps on Bell's network. The real benefit is the latency. I never see 'buffering' spinners any more. It kind of creeped me out at first because it's faster than my home internet in that regard.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sassafras posted:

Can you substantiate that 'better latency' claim? What sort of pings do you get on the LTE network?

There's very little information available that compares carriers' performance in that regard and even less for Canada, yet RTT is really more significant than downstream for how everything other than HD video feels.

Entirely unscientific, but ~10-15ms according to the speed test app. I don't know how that compares because I never thought to test it before.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 15, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

You can disable LTE and run the test again. I'd do it for my iPad but I just cancelled Bell for being complete toolbags wrt billing. I guess I'll pick up a Rogers sim or something with the Mini w/cellular comes in.

I'm full of poo poo it seems

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm not familiar with the desire, but I had a desire z and I recall that I had to take some extra step to get s-off (sim unlock) during the rooting process. Of course this was before there were automated tools.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is Bell no longer offering the $65 6GB plan? I know it's a bit pricier than the Fido one but it has a lot more data and unlimited calling to 10 numbers.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I ran some numbers to calculate if it would be worth it to break my contract to switch to one of those new Virgin plans (turns out they are offering some of them right now in BC). It's largely dependant on the cost of the sim and activation fee. I went to the virgin website to find out what these are and they told me that I can't get the better $25-$35 plans with a smartphone. I have two questions:

1. If I go to a store what is the cost of a sim (any sim, I have a nano sim cutter) and the activation fee? The website is useless.

2. Will they enforce the no smartphones on good plans rule?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Don't nano sims have a physically smaller contact area than standard or mini? I didn't think it was possible to trim a larger sim card down to nano for that reason...

Yes, but the configuration is the same and you only cut off small, unnecessary portions of the contacts.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Between having a job and unlimited evenings, and fab10 (god I hate that name so much) I rarely hit more than 10 anytime minutes a month out of 300ish total talk minutes. I find that I'm much more concerned about data. It's much harder to keep an eye on.

Last night I got offered a retentions plan that I would have taken had the rep not hung up on me because our call went past closing. But now I'm not sure because it has less data, and more talk time. I'm going to see if I can wrangle free CID and vm plus the 10% own phone discount since I have my own phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Oilslick, for family sharing can you actually share ANY plan? I'm grandfathered into a 6gb data plan and I want to know if I can bring my wife into the deal with a cheap 100mb plan.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's the $60 6gb student plan that they offered last August, so I'm going to go with "no way".

edit: I also have flex data.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 24, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

less than three posted:

It was commissioned by the CRTC and it won't be law, they will have to voluntarily abide by the code if they so choose.

So, in other words, when the moratorium on spectrum sale from the 2009 auction is up next year and Wind and Mobilicity get bought up by the big 3, they will have no incentive to follow these "guidelines" and everything will return to normal.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I would certainly expect to see anything with the word unlimited in the plan disappear.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I recently broke my bell contract to go to virgin (I know they are the same company). Part of the reason was the 10% own phone discount made the difference between breaking even with the termination fee and saving money. I looked at Koodo but it looks like their pay per use data now caps out at 500MB where Virgin's still goes up to 3GB and that's a huge difference.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

When I talked with bell retentions I tried to get the 10% own handset discount, but they were having none of it. Told me I'd need to break my contract and sign up again as a new activation which really defeats the point because Bell's plans are garbage compared to virgins.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've had luck making a CCTS complaint in the past. You might give it a shot.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

From what I can tell from google, outside of North America the Desire HD only supports the 900/2100 frequency for 3G data, meaning that you can only use the Rogers network's 2G in Canada. Bell/Telus use 850/1900 3G exclusively and Wind/Mobilicity used 1700 3G. (I think technically the big three all use 2100 for upstream and 1900 for downstream but you'd still need both.)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm a fan of Virgin's data rates on their low end plans. You pay for what you use, rather than a flat upper limit, and the rates are reasonable if you ever come in under 1GB. I'm admittedly biased against Telus/Koodo though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I'm reasonably certain all of our providers do that except maybe some obscure ones that still use cdma. (I think they all do the 10% off thing too, though I don't know about Rogers/Fido)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

eXXon posted:

Wind mobile is apparently going up for sale soon. This sounds like potentially good news to me, as long as Robellus don't get their dirty hands on it. It seems unlikely that they would, even as toothless as the CRTC is right now. Isn't more spectrum going up for auction soon?

At the worst, it seems likely that Wind iwll be sold to some other foreign backers and nothing will change. There's also a chance that Mobilicity's owners could buy it up. I could see a merger of the two being a good thing - an expanded network and lower costs after redundancies are removed. If the two brands remain separate, there's a chance they could raise prices and stop competing, but that seems unlikely with Robellus' discount brands around. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's more likely that Rogers, Bell, or Telus rolls in with a dump truck full of burlap sacks with dollar signs on them just so that they can return to regular business and not have to offer discount plans to compete. I'd expect Mobilicity to follow suit too. After Orascom I'd be surprised if any foreign telecom would be crazy enough to invest in this market.