Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

rawrr posted:

Looks like the telus team webstore has refurb iphone 4 for 250 without contracts. Thinking of jumping on that instead of buying used from some shady guy on craigslist.

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm currently one of said shady guys on craigslist, selling a Rogers iPhone 4 for $320: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/3098494962.html. I'll let it go for $280 if some Vancouver goon is interested.

(If this isn't kosher for this thread, please let me know and I'll remove).

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

Would be in interested in this as well but in Ontario. If you don't get a local buyer, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands

Ok, preference would be to sell locally just to avoid shipping headaches, but I'll let you know if I don't move it in the next week or so. Cheers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

jwoven posted:

God damnit, Telus.

50 minutes
2gb data
unlimited text messaging
caller ID

$83 per month before fees.

Only 50 minutes? Good jesus.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

My sister has been complaining to me about an automated bill-collection number hassling her Rogers phone to try and find who was presumably the previous owner of the number. She tried calling Rogers, and they said they won't block individual numbers. I find this hard to believe - they really have no facility for doing this? They offered to change her number, which is of course a highly unsatisfactory baby/bathwater solution.

edit: She has an iPhone 3GS, so there's no on-device solution to this.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

Would be in interested in this as well but in Ontario. If you don't get a local buyer, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands

Hey iLikeMidgets... I had a few no-shows on Craigslist, and a recent vacation that put my efforts to sell this iPhone 4 on hold. I've still got it. Are you still interested by chance? If so... give me a shout at liggsie@gmail.com.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

All Galaxy phones are supposed to come unlocked.

Nexus you mean.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Zarkov Cortez posted:

no compete agreement

Sorry, what?

It disgusts me how much Canadian business is predicated on collusion.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 31, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Locking should be illegal. It creates artificial switching costs, and artificial scarcity. If the CRTC had balls, they'd move to outlaw it.

Contracts are a completely adequate mechanism to ensure carriers are reimbursed for subsidies.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Eej posted:

Yeah, my point was if Rogers' plan for locking phones is so that you don't stick some other SIM in there to avoid paying out the rear end for roaming fees, why would they sell a pentaband factory unlocked phone? Or would the "lost" roaming income from number of people with a GNex swapping in SIM cards as needed be made up for the revenue from said people being locked into a three year plan?

Presumably the sort of people buying flagship Android phones are not the same demographic willing to get soaked on roaming fees anyway. No point forcing the issue too much if it's a phone that some people will really want, and potentially switch carriers over.

As a related side note - I have a T-Mobile SIM card and account for occasional USA trips, and it's awesome. $2/day for unlimited talk, text, and 2G data. Highly recommended.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

That's not the sole reason for them locking phones, but it's an obvious plus. If you really want to break it down to the simplest reason, it's that a locked phone introduces yet another barrier into switching carriers.

Oh yeah, I agree totally. I actually said exactly this a few posts above. The imposition of a switching cost is probably a far better reason for locking than roaming revenue for the carriers, honestly.

I was just addressing the point of "why would they sell this thing given that it reduces the potential for roaming revenue".

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

How does LTE work on Rogers, in terms of access/payment? I have the $30/6GB plan. If I put my sim into an LTE-capable device and I'm within range of an LTE tower, will I get LTE speeds, or is this an extra tier of service that they want additional monies for?

As a meta-point: Rogers is incredibly vague about pricing and what's actually available.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

That...sounds like a good thing

Oh the humanity! How will we cope without JokeADay or Daily Horoscopes!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible to disable the obnoxious "We are connecting your long distance call - dial 1 before entering the number to avoid this message" notification on Rogers prior to dialing a LD number?

I have a long distance plan and I really don't need to be notified each and every time that a call is supposedly considered "long distance". I'm not prepared to pollute my address book with "1" prefixes, as it breaks Skype dialing, for one thing.

Speaking meta, long distance really needs to go away as a concept in this country. It's beyond absurd at this point.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

terriyaki posted:

Edit: Oh wow, the Koodo Canada-wide 6GB plan is back. Except now it's for $5 more and you only get 150 anytime minutes instead of 250. Glad I jumped on it earlier when I did.

Out of curiosity, does Koodo ever force customers over to different plans than what they signed up for, given that they are generally a no-contract outfit? I'm guessing not, or they'd have far worse PR, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It just occurred to me that Bell no longer seems to be trying to incept the country with the atrocious term "Superphone".

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/09/23/r...he-credit-card/

Rogers posted:

There’s no specific timing, but Rogers also formed a partnership with CIBC that will allow NFC-capable BlackBerry devices that will allows customers to spend up to $50 on their CIBC Visa or MasterCard by simply tapping device to a terminal.

I hope this fails mightily (and I'm pretty sure it will). The last thing we need is loving Rogers of all companies running payment processing.

Hopefully Square or Google Wallet get their act together soon in Canada.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Does Bell not have an iPhone unlock policy like Rogers and Telus? I've got the dough to buy one outright but Apple will only sell them (in store) locked, and I plan to switch carriers next year unless they really wow me with a deal.

gently caress, you shell out $700+ in store and it's not even unlocked? It wasn't like this last year when I picked up a 4S. What gives?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I can only assume the carriers are getting their tentacles into Apple now.

Surely not. Apple has commoditized the gently caress out of them, and this only grows more true each year.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bonzo posted:

So I rooted my Galaxy S2 and am looking to unlock it myself or have a 3rd party do it.

I currently use Virgin in Canada but am going to the US for the holidays. Can I just buy a pre paid SIM from Virgin America or T-Mobile?

I've got a T-Mobile SIM that I use in the USA. Only get EDGE speeds on my iPhone with it, but it works well enough, and it's $2 a day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^^^ In what universe are those good plans? Maybe I'm just shockingly out of touch with how shockingly out of touch our carriers are, but I think those plans are utterly poo poo.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

HipGnosis posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is for data roaming within Canada? My iPhone 3GS has a data block on it right now (long story, I asked Telus to put it on and found it was saving me loads of money so I never told them to take it off) but I'm thinking of having it taken off while on vacation in Banff next month. I have a Toronto number.

Do we get charged extra for data roaming within Canada with Telus? I'm going to be driving around that area so I'd like to have maps and data on in case I get lost but if its going to be US or International rates for data roaming, forget it.

No such thing as data roaming in Canada on the big3. Roam away!

This fact further emphasizes how artificial of a concept long distance calling is.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Thunderpussy posted:

Weird. I'm 2 years into my plan with Rogers and my wife 3GS has started to act funny.

Rogers wiped out both early upgrade fees, gave us a $56 credit, both iPhone 5s, and two $50 mail in rebates and kept my plan the same as it was. (no complaints with my 6gig data plan)

In the end, I'm paying $300 for two iPhone 5's. They told me to just walk over to Futureshop and pick them up there because they had them in stock.

My sister has managed to get a similar deal. However, they were totally unhelpful on how to actually obtain an iPhone 5. They said "try a rogers store" or "try the apple store". Can she in theory go to any place with physical stock, and get them to look up the newly negotiated renewal details?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

For those with shareable 6GB tablet plans on Rogers - can you turn it on and off on a monthly basis? e.g. suppose you have a cellular tablet - can you turn it on for a month (and pay the $10 or whatever), then opt out for 2 months, then opt back in, etc?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

You should be able to, but be warned that it usually takes 30 days for most carriers to cancel a billed service like that. Also, reactivating may incur activation fees depending on your carrier.

Ah ok, sounds good. I just got an iPad mini, and I'm thinking of exchanging it for the cellular model* so long as it's not a huge hassle with Rogers. I've heard they have a $2/month for 10 months deal with data sharing - wouldn't mind getting on board that.

* main reason: when I'm done with it, I can set my grandma up with it. She doesn't have WiFi but a data sharing plan and an iPad might be a good way to get her emailing finally.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Have a link for that share plan? I was thinking about getting a 32GB Nexus 7 with HSPA+ when they come out.

http://redboard.rogers.com/2012/new-to-rogers-the-6-gb-super-plan/
I'm sure there's a million qualifiers and asterixes - I'm almost dreading calling them because of that... but it's mentioned in the second half of that post.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Here's a fresher source: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-dataplans#,Accordion1--acc1

Click shared plan. Offers 100 dollar credit with no term, so 2$/month for 10 month, then 12 after that.

Great, thanks. Do you happen to know if they'll mail you a sim card, or do you have to set this up in store?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So earlier today I called Rogers and got a tablet data sharing plan added to my account. SIM Card is in the mail apparently.

Then tonight, I noticed that my iPhone had no service. I drove halfway across Montreal and back, and all the while: no service. My girlfriend's iPhone, also on Rogers is fine - so it's nothing to do with infrastructure. Moreover, her SIM card works in my phone.

I can't help but think this is related to me calling earlier. Unfortunately, it's too late to talk to the business hotline people, but I've logged into my online access and everything looks fine.

Anyone have any idea what in the everloving gently caress could be going on with my account? Goes without saying, but my account is in good standing, etc.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

TheSadPope posted:

They probably changed the SIM card of your iPhone for the one they're sending you for the tablet. Stupid mistake from them but well... welcome to Rogers !

For Christ's sake. They deal with this poo poo day in and day out. Should be a well oiled machine - particularly with all that money Canadians throw at them. :bahgawd: Rogers

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

"They" meaning Rogers as a company does it day in day out. In reality you have a bunch of call centre employees who don't give a gently caress, high turnover and a constant looming of YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH NEW SALES that they really couldn't care less if it is done properly.

No of course, and I'm not expecting any wage slave with a lovely job and an rear end in a top hat boss to give a gently caress about my first world problems. It's still on Rogers to come up with a system that's not so brittle that adding services can easily cause a loss of service elsewhere.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Lexicon posted:

So earlier today I called Rogers and got a tablet data sharing plan added to my account. SIM Card is in the mail apparently.

I really shouldn't be surprised that in addition to the other fuckups - Rogers managed to send me a micro SIM not a nano SIM - despite the guy's insistence that he knew the difference.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

That makes my blood boil. As a market, we really, really need to sever the link between service and device. Imagine a power provider (e.g. BC Hydro) prohibiting existing customers from buying a particular new brand of toaster. That's essentially what goes on in cellular in Canada.

This happened to me once with an early vintage iPhone when they first came out. I wrote a lengthy diatribe to the Fido ombudsman complaining, and they grudgingly made a "special exception". The best part: they forgot to add the device cost to my bill! I walked out of the Apple store having not paid a cent, and it never ever showed up on my bill. Sometimes their incompetence actually works in your favour.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Congrats on stealing a phone I guess.

How is it stealing if they didn't bill me? Guy at the Apple store said they would.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm going to be in Canada (Vancounver) for about two weeks in December/January (hopefully) with a Nexus 4. I'd like to get a prepaid sim for the trip, possibly with data. Who should I look at?

Hah, with data? You sir, are an optimist.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Great, so that's two calls to Rogers to order a nano sim and in which the CSR has profusely agreed they know the difference between nano and micro, and two UPS deliveries each with a micro sim.

I'd call back to explain the error yet again, but I know they'll just end up sending another micro.

edit: I'm honestly amazed the network functions at all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Scudworth posted:

My buddy had a 1 year contract job @ Rogers. For the entire duration of this contract they couldn't seem to get the phone working at his desk. This was the norm for many employees there, in their head office.

:lol:

It's not quite "the cobbler's children go barefoot"; more like "the cobbler's children go barefoot; also the entire town hates the cobbler, and the shoes are overpriced, and it's a goddamn nightmare to even try and buy a pair"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Is it really worth the trouble? Can't you just get one at a store?

Apparently it's not worth the trouble. I hate their stores even more than I hate calling, but at least I can be sure I've got what I need before I walk out the door.

I guess that's the new plan.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

To be fair, you have a poo poo LTE connection and full bars 3G.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

My latest Rogers billing email posted:

Note: If you are using Internet based e-mail (using a browser to access your email), you will need to select "Open in New Window".

Internet-based email you say? :monocle:

If I'm going to be given incorrect nomenclature by an ostensibly-technology-focused organization, I at least expect it to be for reasons of pandering to the consumer's ignorance. This is simply incorrect.

Anyway, </pedantry>

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mobile Syrup posted:

Fido’s $57/month Value Pack promo gives unlimited talk, texts, unlimited Canada-wide calling, Visual Voicemail, Call Display and Call Waiting and doubles down their data at 2GB.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/23/fido-doubles-data-offering-on-57month-plan-now-2gb-with-unlimited-talk-and-texts/

:monocle:

A long way to go before we hit European/Asian prices still, not to mention European/Asian lack of bullshit - but man, that feels like a drat good deal. Take the 2 year with an easily-sellable phone, and you're well on your way to buying an unsubsidized device on a great plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

Canada's glorius, reliable, Free Market network.™

Sorry to be that guy, but "free market" has no place in any paragraph describing Canadian wireless.