Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If anyone from Saskatoon wants to see an S3, I'll be in Midtown Mall tomorrow for most of the day. I'll be Regina on Thursday and Friday too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Stuntman Mike posted:

8 dollar caller-ID is why I left Telus for Wind. That's just not right.

They include it in all their plans now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

never happy posted:

Sorry I'm sure these type of questions come up often, but will an unlocked Motorola XPRT work with Telus?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xprt-3946.php

Or the Spice Key?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_spice_key-4046.php

Yes to both

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Snuffman posted:

I'm moving to Saskatoon at the end of the month, and I'm wondering how Telus's coverage in Saskatchewan in general is.

When I worked for Telus, they only provided CDMA in Saskatoon and Regina and analog everywhere else. Well, analog is gone now and the coverage map implies HSPA is available all over Saskatchewan.

How is the coverage really? I know they fluff it up on their site just to make it look better. I'd like to not leave Telus as I'm on contract and don't want to deal with the hassle beyond changing my phone number.

For the record, I have an iPhone 4, and my new job will take me all over Saskatchewan. Just how screwed am I? Is there anything weird like data doesn't work outside of major city centres, even though the coverage allows it? Should I be looking at switching to Sasktel?

I've been here for a month now and the coverage is fantastic. I don't think there's a province in the country with better blanket coverage. I've got a Rogers, Telus, Bell and SaskTel SIM and all but the Rogers ones work great. Bellus roams off of SaskTel and as far as I know, you can get reception anywhere that more than four or five people live. My cousin has a farm way out in the boonies near some shithole named Humboldt and I had five bars and he lives in the middle of nowhere.

I'm in the same situation you are where I'm travelling all over, though to be fair you might be travelling in more remote areas. I haven't run into any data issues anywhere either. I don't think I've had less than three bars anywhere yet except in Lawson mall which I think is due to merely network saturation.

http://www.sasktel.com/search/controller/_/N-cj for reference, it'll be the same for Telus. Just click Saskatchewn 4G which will give you the map for your iPhone or any other HSPA+ [SIM] phone.

tl;dr You are fine and don't need to switch to SaskTel unless you really want unlimited data [which is actually pretty sweet to have].

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 6, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Akileese posted:

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/prepaid-plans-summary.html

This is probably your closest to "reasonable" you can find.

$35
Unlimited Incoming Calls
Weekends & Evenings from 7pm
Text to Canada & U.S.
250MB Data

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That's pretty bad. It's quite literally the one advantage their plans had over Virgin and Koodo after Koodo got rid of per second billing. Unless it's changed in the last month, they've got some pretty lovely plans and to get an iPhone, Galaxy Nexus or other data-required smartphone you seem to be better off going with even Rogers as lovely as they are. I guess Fido can make a bit of sense for non-data usage but their data plans are loving dismal. $25 for 500 MB still is ridiculous when the data-flex on Virgin and Koodo is available.

Again, I could be wrong and maybe they did some magic since I last sold phones but Fido was always the worst to sell because their activation system sucks, they paid poor comissions, their phone selection sucked, their reception was Rogers [this is not a good thing] and when doing a renewal you quite literally have to call their terrible retail support line to change or even add data.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Migishu posted:

I even asked if I could pick the phone up from a store and they were all "nope"

Makes no sense to me why they have to ship it out if I have 3 Fido stores close to me that have stock.

If they're anything like Rogers, the salespeople on the phone are on commission. It's one of the [many] reasons they were my absolute most hated carriers when I did sales. I understand retention staff needing to keep their numbers up to prove productivity but to require a purchase be made through the phone and shipped when they have their own loving stores is just ludicrous.

It's even worse than Chapters refusing to price match their own website.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

jwoven posted:

Don't forget that there's the whole 30 day notice thing, so expect to pay for another month with rogers when you port your number.

This is true and goddamn stupid. I think Telus and Virgin are the only ones who don't automatically do this. I ported from Telus to Bell for a few customers who were not charged for the thirty days.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

This might not be a question for this thread, but what is the legality of recording customer service calls (on my end) in Ontario?

Edit: nevermind beaten hard

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

vesper posted:

I work for Rogers as a technical support supervisor. You can indeed request transcripts of any call made to us (any department, not just technical support,) as well as any notes left on your account. Every call you make has notes associated with it from the agent you were speaking to, and every call is recorded.

I tried this no less than half a dozen times to help customers out when I worked in sales, no go every time. The reps were always enormous fuckwads about it too. This is both DSG/DIG and Customer Service.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Koodo has zero control over updates.

This is completely wrong. There's a reason the Rogers Nexus doesn't have JB yet while others do.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I saw a Bell kiosk going up here this morning. I wonder if MTS and Bell's no compete agreement has run out.

e: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/31/bells-manitoba-hspa-network-going-live-on-august-1st/

It has, I've been training The Source and Bell employees for an August 1 launch. I think Virgin will be a week or two after as well. Virgin must be happy to get a phone newer than the BlackBerry 8100.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I used the word smartphone repeatedly at a training event I held for new Bell employees on Samsung devices and the area manger was none too pleased, the employees had all been told to use the word superphone. I felt so goofy using it I couldn't bring myself do it and watching him roll his eyes when my presentation's slides said the word "smartphone" for the GS3, Note and S II was pretty funny.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
GS3 is $0 on Telus Bell and Rogers right now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

less than three posted:

Storage. :eng101:

The Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, double the S3's 1GB.

Full comparison here: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=5048

The S3 has 2GB of RAM in North America

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

One thing I've heard about LTE (don't have it) is that the latency is lower.

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Kowak posted:

Does anyone have any experience with The Mobile Shop?

It can't be any worse than Best Buy Mobile. If you're doing a new activation there's probably some decent gift card offers but as far as renewals/upgrades, it's all the same.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
S3 is $0 on pretty much every carrier if anyone was holding out.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Anyone know if those Fido / Koodo $56 plans include tethering? In other words, it's not explicitly blocked is it?

One of the (very) few perks of Canadian data is that tethering is always included at no extra charge. I think MTS is an exception but most of us aren't in Manitoba.

moron, I'd echo the sentiment to go with Virgin, if only for the 10% discount for bringing your own device. Normally I'd recommend Koodo but their plans are absolutely identical and Koodo doesn't offer a discount for bringing your own device.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 17, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I think I found the one thing to get excited about living in Saskatchewan for: decent plans.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/SK/plans/promotional.shtml?INTCMP=plansBANH2UnltdTalkFamily

$55 for 5 GB data, unlimited nationwide talk, Caller ID, VM and SMS/MMS? Not bad, thanks crown-owned SaskTel for having weird regional plans and forcing the others to compete! I just wish there was a $40-50 plan that was exactly the same except 100-200 mimutes and Fave 10 Canada because talking on a phone? gently caress that!

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2013

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Curious: is it possible for non-SKers to sign up while visiting the province, and therefore take advantage of this sort of thing? Or do you need a billing address there?

Purely hypothetical, as I'm not likely to be in Skatch anytime soon, but it could be a good move for someone there on business or the like...

When I helped my mom negotiate her contract a couple years ago with Telus, the SK plan at the time [not the current one] was actually the one they offered, along with VM and CID which weren't standard at the time. So yeah it's definitely possible but you'll need a friend who works at Client Care/Channel Care. I'm not certain it's doable even for loyalty anymore since I haven't spoken to them in a while but I can't imagine it changed.

Vintersong: Yeah I find when I'm in Winnipeg I'm better off using my Telus or Bell SIMs instead of my Rogers one despite the perceived lack of reception. The HSPA+ speeds are often twice as fast as Rogers' saturated-rear end network.

When I was doing S3 training in Winnipeg for MTS it was great because only the S3 and Xperia T can use LTE on their network with Apple [apparently] dragging their heels on certifying the network for iPhones. It was a consistent 50+ megabits/sec anywhere I tried.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 20, 2013

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

God I don't want to pay 100 bucks for this phone, or 50 bucks for this phone.

Is there any way to get another dumbphone and just have it work with koodo? I assume any unlocked dumbphone that operates on the same band as the koodo network will work, is this true? How do I find a list of such phones and networks?

Virtually any phone made for Telus, Bell, Rogers or AT&T that is HSPA compatible will work. So any Rogers phone made in the past 2-3 years and any Bell or Telus phone at all that takes a SIM card [except BB Storm/World]

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

shop posted:

So I'm moving back to Canada from the states (Calgary to be specific) and I will have my iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T prior to leaving. What carrier should I look at for the best contract considering I'll be bringing my own phone?

Virgin or Koodo. I'd lean towards Virgin since their plans are almost identical and you get 10% off your plan for a customer-owned non subsidy device.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

terriyaki posted:

Dang, 10% off a plan if you jump over with Virgin with your own phone? That's pretty sweet.

Bell too, I believe. I'm a lowly Samsung field rep who doens't keep up on plans but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Since no one actually answered your question:

Yes your phone is unlocked. It'll work on any carrier in Canada, regionals included.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

In other news, MobileSyrup is reporting that Telus is lowering the price of their iPhone 5 (and probably 4S). The Bell store I work at just got a MASSIVE shipment of iPhones today, indicating that the Big 3 is probably doing this soon.

I think that was just refurbs

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Holy poo poo that is terrible, good luck I hope you get that taken care of

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my Motorola Defy XT smartphone on Sasktel - I can send about one text message per day, then it stops being able to send. Everything else - receiving text, voice calls, voice mail, data, etc. - all works fine.

Does anybody know anything about Sasktel's SMS service?

Sounds like it could be a device issue but after seeing SaskTel SMS first hand it'd be hard to say. Call their Tech Support team, they're actually surprisingly helpful/knowledgeable... for the most part.

Speaking of SaskTel, I convinced my work to give me a SaskTel SIM card for... demo purposes [aka tablet]. Horay LTE! Rogers has it too I guess but I don't get it in my apartment and Bell/Telus 4G is slow as poo poo, probably due to saturation with SaskTel network sharing. That poor SaskTel 4G network is probably just hammered with the ridiculous marketshare they have, even moreso with Telus and Bell on it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Secx posted:

My dad has this old LG pre-paid Telus phone. I want to give him my old unlocked 3GS, but his phone had no SIM in the SIM slot when I removed the battery.

Will Telus sell me a SIM card if I go in a store? And how much are they?

As OilSlick said, yeah they will. You can swap his number over to the SIM for free if you do it online as well, assuming he has an online account or makes one.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I dunno, a pretty big force for competition lately has been Koodo. Even if they're owned by Telus, they seem to be the one that Bell is trying to hardest to compete with. We've come out with similar plans (with similar handset subsidies) and we now offer free long distance in some of our plans. I haven't heard any internal communications breathe a word about Mobilicity or Wind, probably because their networks were so weak they didn't consider them a threat. Superior network coverage is pretty much the main thing we use as an excuse to charge higher prices than our competitors and get away with it, so I can see why I never see the names Mobilicity or Wind ever come up in any internal competitive info. Competition isn't dead yet.

It's probably because Koodo is absolutely killing it for the fighter brands. Within a year their subscriptions were higher than Fido's for the past previous years.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sweet now we can go back 5 years and have the carrier logo on our home buttons like they do in the US. [http://gizmodo.com/5954713/ugh-verizon-plastered-its-logo-on-the-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-home-button]

In all honesty it'd probably be a good thing for competition.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

loving finally LTE is available in Winnipeg! Granted I'm on 3G now inside the hospital but it was cool peering down and seeing the indicator up top.

A co-worker of mine described the Winnipeg market as being the hot-tub time machine of Canada's cellular market. It made a lot more sense when I saw so many consumers using BlackBerrys in public, and not just businessmen but I guess that's because MTS hasn't really had any Android devices until recently and they have a strangehold on the market. I still find it so annoying having piss-poor coverage with Bellus when I go there for work but it's nice that MTS isn't the only option for LTE now!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Makes me grateful I didn't have my Future Shop EPP cancelled when I quit. My girlfriend's rate plan under my name is ridiculous, the flat 50% EPP attached to the Saskatchewan/MB of only plan of $60/month for unlimited everything except 6GB data.

Knock on wood, hopefully they don't discover I quit over a year ago. It's crazy how solid the SaskTel plans are here and with unlimited 25 megabit connection they're hard to say no to.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

grack posted:

As far as I know development of that band was a joint project between Bell and Rogers. Right now it's rather nice as there are very, very few phones in Canada that support it.

The S4 and the Optimus G both do, I would imagine there's more than a few S4s out there.

ZShakespeare posted:

Is tablet data sharing still a thing? I was looking at Virgin's site and it looks like I need to buy another plan, which is a lot more expensive, not worth the convenience of not having to tether.

I don't think Virgin offers it but Rogers definitely does, and I think Bell too.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Can I sell someone who is on Telus a MTS iPhone 4? I think both are CDMA, no?

They're both HSPA+, the phone would need to be unlocked.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/telus-to-increase-prices-as-it-moves-to-two-year-plans/

Two year plans are starting to roll out. I discussed with friends whether or not the plans would go up and no one seemed to think it was likely, looks like they definitely have in a big way.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want what this guy is smoking.

No kidding. The only indication of plan discounts for BYOD are tablets.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't get how anyone in their right mind can oppose Verizon aside from the carriers.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't worked for them but I have worked extensively with corporate types from more than one since starting my job. Without going into too much detail, it's almost exactly as you might imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Stay classy, Halifax :allears:

I've seen this a lot in recent weeks. Both in Saskatchewan and Manitoba - especially for high tier devices.