Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The plans are different in MB/SK, at least with Bell, because of SaskTel and MTS. They're a lot better, especially now that the prices have gone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Caros posted:

Actually, bell and telus more or less bent over backwards to suck off Saskatchewan for the last two or three years. Mostly it was as an attempt to force sasktel out of business, but our top line smartphone plans were $25-40 off a similar nationwide plan.

I don't get how that's much different from what I said? I don't disagree regardless. With the bump in price plans on two year terms now, the plans are even stronger comparatively than they were before.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

They already do this, and yes, it is. Discount brands like Fido and Koodo got kicked in the balls pretty hard with the new regulations since they must have their devices completely paid off in two years. There's virtually no chance of getting that plan if you renew on a new iPhone.
Rogers is allowing people to keep their legacy plans on two year terms, Fido might be as well. I'd give a call to Fido, Duro

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

So... moving to Canada, have a Nexus S that I want to upgrade, don't use my phone much (50 minutes, 50 texts and 300MB of data a month or so). My best bet is probably to grab a discounted Nexus 4 and go pay-as-you-go, yea?

You're better off going month to month than pay as you go, prepaid is a giant overpriced sham here. Definitely buy the phone before leaving as it'll work on the carriers in Canada without issue.

As mentioned, your city and province determine which carrier and what prices to expect. If you're in SK or MB you'll get better plans than you had in the US, if not it'll probably be more expensive. If you aren't from the US you will shake your head at the prices.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Interesting move by Google. Doesn't this essentially screw Samsung entirely? Why would one buy a GS4 or whatever now? Arguably I'm sure they might be better than a Nexus 4 in a few aspects, but 3x the price better?

Outside of forums like this, the vast majority of people I talk to have no idea what a Nexus is. They either want a "Galaxy" or an iPhone, generally anything else doesn't even enter into consideration.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Your number should be fine if you're okay with long distance. I'd just get it changed.

You can keep your plan when you move as far as I know. I've done it with Telus but you'll never be able to change your plan then get it back. You'll also need a Quebec address to change the plan.

That same plan is available here in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, it's really great compared to what you get in the rest of the country. Having Videotron, Sasktel and MTS in SK/MB/QC is great for plans from competition.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're in Manitoba, go with Rogers. They've got regional plans with large buckets of data to compete with MTS and the same coverage as MTS.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

It's not, neither online nor in store. How's Virgin aside from being a subsidiary of they-who-shall-not-be-named? They have a 5GB and that unl nation calling for 65/mth They ALSO happen to have my phones little sister, the HTC One.

They're alright but the Bellus coverage in Manitoba leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I was there last week and my Note 3 kept switching from fast LTE to barely serviceable 3G.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The three 'fighter' brands are all essentially pointless right now with the new plans, I couldn't find one instance where Koodo or Virgin was cheaper than Telus or Bell. Maybe I missed something.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Get a prepaid SaskTel SIM and $100 credit

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
There are sketchy Bell dealers that offer 'free' iPhone and S4s and finance the device upfront cost internally and charge interest on it. It's sketchy as hell and asking for people to default on their payments.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Why the hell is Telus charging $300 for the Note 3 when it's 249 everywhere else? Ugh.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm getting a Nexus 5, upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. Is there anything I need to do to enable LTE on my Rogers account? I have the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago.

You'll need an LTE SIM which are basically all of them now. Just make sure to buy a SIM instead of cutting your current (likely non LTE

Your plan should be fine too, I have the old grandfathered plan with no issue

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Koth posted:

MTS has the Samsung Note 3 on sale for $150 off on Friday. I'm due for a new phone, but I'm not sure if I should get it on Friday for $150 off or wait until after December 2 when the new cell phone laws come into effect.

FS and BB have it for $99 today and tomorrow, $200 off. Unfortunately they don't service MTS but it's just a matter of time before they go under or get bought anyway - especially now that their AllStream deal soured.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yeah if you're going to get a contract there isn't a better time. I love hearing people say they're waiting when the phones are almost all $0 and the plans (especially in SK/MB) are way better than they normally are.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Duro posted:

So I would need a new sim card to get LTE essentially? Does the 5s have a smaller sim than the 4 (meaning I'd have to change it regardless)?

You aren't going to be able to keep that 6GB plan if you renew your contract for a device on subsidy. 3 year terms are gone now and they'll stick you with a more expensive, less data 2 year plan. Unless you live in SK or MB, big data plans are a bitch to get for less than $100.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba all have better plans than the rest of Canada thanks to regional carriers with reception that isn't poo poo

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I had a customer yesterday who had a Thunder Bay regional plan (it had "TBay" in the name) which was (albeit on the 3 year term) 6 GB of data with unlimited nationwide calling, international texting, CD/VM with Bell for $60. That's some crazy poo poo.

It was $50 and $55 in the past, too. It's strange but Bell is insanely competitive in Thunder Bay to pull customers from TBaytel. They're offering the full subsidy on devices like Note 3, S4 and iPhones as well with it, foregoing the usual $70/mo requirement.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Given his limited needs, that's a good plan. Most plans nowadays are a fair bit more, even for basic needs.

Of the devices, I'm inherently biased because I work for Samsung but get an S3 Mini over the Ace II X in a heartbeat. Not familiar with the Desire, sorry. Fido's phone selection on the lower end isn't terribly vast.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's 4.4.2 unless something changed last minute

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Camera shortcut
Added Emoji
Ability to change default SMS/MMS app and launcher
Improved location services
Wireless printing [lol]
Upgraded Google services apps
Upgraded Gear Manager software

There's your change log, afaik.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

leidend posted:

-I use Nova launcher so already had camera shortcut
-I use go sms pro so already had emoji for texts and use swiftkey otherwise so changes to Google keyboard are irrelevant
-I could already change default sms on touchwiz
-I could already wireless print through hp app (lol indeed, can't see myself needing this)

I'm not selling you on it, just letting you know.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
People in Saskatchewan will still bitch about rate plans despite them having ridiculously good deals comparatively.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

Well duh.

My unlimited voice and text anywhere in Canada with 2gb of data for 65 bucks is still poo poo.

These are the current plans in SK right now for Bell. I don't think Telus or Rogers have matched the 10 gig plan yet but it's pretty sad how the minimum plan in the rest of the country [except MB] is $80 a month and you're given 500 MB of data yet here's $75 for 10 gigs.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Anyone on Bell planning to upgrade soon (yeah, I know) do so before April 1st. Upgrade prices are low but are rising to normal pricing as of April 1st

Clearly banking on a big April with S5 [and to a lesser extent I guess, M8] launch if prices are going up.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Yes, they run an annoying demo loop that has a mind of its own. That said, I've yet to see a single S5 with that problem, so hopefully it's a rare occurrence.

I've seen the S5 on demo at 200+ stores, never once seen burn in on an S5. I've certainly seen it on an S2, but AMOLED burn in isn't really a thing anymore.

FYI that demo loop is to prevent theft too. It's a bitch to remove.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
200+ stores, still haven't seen it once. Not that it would matter anyway since no one leaves their phone on max brightness on 24/7 for weeks on end, certainly not on the same screen.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2014

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I do go up to northern Ontario every now and then but usually don't get a very good signal.

If you're ever in Thunder Bay for any amount of time, get your address set to Thunder Bay and get their plan on Bell. Otherwise you'll need an $80 plan minimum for 500 megs of data.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I think you may need to have your phone number set to a Thunder Bay area number. I don't think the address has anything to do with it as when an employee changes your address there is no opportunity to modify your plan at the same time, so it never requires a change. However, when changing someone's phone number, it occasionally will force the employee to change your plan. That said, if you can change your phone number that plan definitely lo

Good point. Almost all plans have unlimited Long Distance anyway at this point, though. When I move out of SK I'll definitely keep my 306 number for the ridiculously good plans here comparatively.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That loophole exist on Rogers?

They'll likely bump you up to $80/month once you port over. Koodo and Telus don't do it automatically. And, as far as I know, you can't port your number on Rogers' website as Lexi said above.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Pivo posted:

So Toronto thread told me to post here. I'm with Rogers paying $80 base for unlimited nation-wide, text, and 3 gigs, contract's up in Sept 2015. I refuse to go to Wind because of slow speeds and poor reception (friends have it) but at the same time I've used maybe less than 200 minutes per month all year so I figure I should probably be paying less. But Rogers CSR, nice guy, basically said I was boned because of the new 2-year pricing and to wait til fall when they usually have promotions. Any ideas?

Go on Koodo and get the SK/MB plan, so long as they both have a phone you want, and have good reception in your area. There have been guides posted on how to go about doing this.

Their "fall promotions" will be $50 discounts on phones, almost never including the iPhone which I gather will be an issue given your avatar. The most you'll see is around a $5/month discount and likely only if you're a student.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Going to a Future Shop or Best Buy is probably your best bet to get on the Saskatchewan or Manitoba plan. I worked at FS in Cell for 5 years before getting a job at Samsung; although policy is the same in that you can only issue a number for someone's physical address verified by a driver's license, absolutely no one will care about the rule.

Glad you got it to work Pivo.

Pivo posted:

I called Rogers to do the unlock, they told me that my account will be cancelled when I initiate the port but they will still charge me next month because they need 30 days notice.

As mentioned, no they don't. This was strictly laid out in the new wireless laws. He's either a jackass or doesn't know any better.

When I quit FS I managed to keep my 50% discount and gave my old line to my girlfriend. I legitimately live in Saskatchewan right now but I upgraded her to a Note 3 last September and kept my old $60 for 6 GB with unlimited everything and VM/CID plan and then tacked on the 50% discount. She's paying $33 a month taxes in for a Note 3, 6 gigs of data and unlimited everything on a 2 year plan. We feel European, hopefully Telus doesn't catch onto the fact that I haven't worked at FS in two years!

There's even a $70/month plan right now in SK on Bell that gives 10 gigs of data. Unbelievable to think that $10 a month more anywhere else in the country is the absolute minimum and you get one twentieth of the data.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

status posted:

Going to try the SK/MB plan tomorrow. Anyone know of any downtown locations that won't give you much hassle? I'm not terribly worried because I'm from Saskatchewan and still have an old licence, but would rather go with the path of least resistance.

Seriously, just go into a national retail. Future Shop, Best Buy would be your best bet. Or one of those WOW! Mobile places since their reps are almost all quite new and likely don't know the rules, they sell Koodo unlike Wireless Wave/Etc/T-booth.

If you're getting an actual phone instead of BYOD, it'll likely be cheaper than a Koodo kiosk anyway.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you ever want to hate your ISP or carrier, check out these stupid good deals.

http://www.sasktel.com/wps/wcm/connect/content/home/just-for-students-site

If my employer didn't pay my cell lines I'd be all over that $65/month cell plan. From what I understand they don't even really validate student ID.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Freshwater Louie posted:

My contract is ending soon and apparently Bell/Virgin has ridiculously good plans here in the good ol' province of Manitoba. The only reason I would consider them over anything else is that Bell's network has coverage in the obscure areas where I work. In years past not too many people had good things to say about Bell as a company. Would I be making a terrible mistake by switching over?

The coverage deal they have with MTS is a bit different from your typical coverage share. It's technically just a roaming agreement. It could disappear at any time, but I doubt it.

Take advantage of their offers while you can - it's quite likely that they'll eventually bump their prices up now that they have coverage that isn't awful. When/if you buy a phone, make sure to ask the salesperson about any other promotions they have going on. Bell often runs promotions on the down low in Manitoba, they're being incredibly aggressive to try and take MTS marketshare to lower their value and presumably eventually buy them. They'll often even have better promotions if you're porting specifically from MTS.

They'll have GS5 and other flagships on for $0 when they're $100+ in other provinces. Plus the rate plans are way better.

Bell is still terrible but so are Rogers and everyone else. Your only better plan option would be Koodo but Telus/Koodo haven't obtained the MTS coverage like Bell has to my knowledge.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 27, 2014

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Freshwater Louie posted:

Thanks for the input! As far as I am aware Bell shares network coverage with Telus (who I am with now) throughout Manitoba so my service wouldn't technically decrease.

Yeah that's true. But they also get MTS reception right now as of last month, which is the best in the province even if MTS themselves are poo poo. You get the best of both worlds.

I never thought I'd associate the word "Bell" and "best" with anything.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

How is wind in Saskatoon? And how bad are their roaming charges?

I'm in Calgary but travel to Saskatoon fairly regularly. If the roaming fees aren't too bad it's probably cheaper to switch to wind and have a much lower monthly cost and roaming then the stay with bell.

You'll be roaming on Rogers in Saskatoon, WIND never launched in SK despite saying they would. Rogers reception is SK is absolutely dreadful too.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

If not, try a Future Shop or Best Buy. I wouldn't at all be surprised if a Rogers store won't sell them outright without activating, if only to be dicks.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Shoota_McG posted:

I upgraded my iPhone 5 to a 6 at Best Buy on Friday, but they were unable to keep my old plan. They suggested calling Rogers Loyalty to see what they could do.

They confirmed that my plan (an old loyalty plan with something like 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evening/weekends starting at 6, unlimited text/mms, enhanced call display, enhanced vm and 6GB @84/mo) was not eligible to keep going forward on two year contracts. The whole thread is probably aware that a share everything plan with 6GB is $125/mo on all three big providers.

Loyalty gave me two options:

Share everything 3GB $90/mo ($80/mo for the first year)
Or
Share everything 6GB $95/mo

I checked my usage and I used over 3.5GB this month with two days left in my billing cycle - I don't want to start managing my data. These plans drop from enhanced cd and vm to basic, which isn't a big deal I guess. So Canadian wireless is in a state where I pay $10/mo more for the same data, more minutes I won't use and more basic features - and this is a "good" deal :(

Holy hell that's awful. Lazy BBY employee could have (and should have) called into loyalty his or herself, it isn't that hard to do. Rogers is the worst loyalty department to deal with but still part of their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Jan posted:

why do people even use rogers

Seriously, the one consolation we have in Canuckistan is that we don't have the ridiculous local monopolies that the States do. Why would you ever pick Rogers when there is Telus/Bell/Videotron/Cogeco/Teksavvy/Distributel/EletronicBox/literally anyone else to choose from?

Because only Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec have legitimate cellular competition (I.e not poo poo coverage)