Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I live in the US but my brother and his wife are in Toronto. They've finally given in and will be getting a mobile phone. While they're not complete luddites, it will be their first phone. Preferences: Android over iPhone (in fact not interested in iPhone), hardware keyboard if there are any left, decent camera, and ability to disable any tracking.

A friend is giving them a SIM and 2-year plan on Freedom Mobile. What's a good choice of (relatively) inexpensive phone to go with all this? My brother just got laid off, he is on severance for a few months but his wife only gets disability so income is limited.

Edit: I see that Blackberry has choices. Hoping I can find something used & cheap stateside to send them or bring on an occassional visit.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I'm thinking I can send them the article on how to stop Google Maps from recording your movements and call it a day.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My telephone gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Heh, went through something similar with my current apartment. Moved in and was told by the outgoing tenant that the power bill was included in the rent, which is what the previous tenant told her. A year plus later I'm vacationing in Scotland when my roommate contacts me and tells me the power has been turned off. After confirming it was only our apartment, I called the power company and they said no bills have been paid for a few years.

They wanted me to pay back bills from when I moved in, I don't remember how much but it had me seeing red. After some arguing I hung up. Called back a bit later, got a new person and told them I'd just moved in and needed to start service ASAP. No problem! It will be turned on tomorrow. First power bill was $17.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Port your number to Google Voice?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What are the prepaid options in Toronto?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chris Knight posted:

Do you need LTE speed or not?

It's not for me. It would be nice to have, but I'd love to look at all available options LTE or not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

T-Mobile has a $15 SIM for travelers, or did a while back anyway.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

codo27 posted:

Wifi calling has been poo poo for me for a while, partially because I have this stupid Pixel. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of any router settings that might cause issues with it?

Whenever I'm depending on wifi calling, I put my phone into airplane mode first then turn wifi back on. No chance of trying to switch to mobile.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like I'll be moving to Calgary this fall, from the US. What carriers should I be looking at? I want to bring and use my Pixel 5a, currently on Google Fi.

And no, can't just roam with Fi indefinitely - apparently they're starting to crack down on that.

Main things are to be as affordable as possible with good internet coverage.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My employer is US-based, we just have a big office in Calgary (and smaller offices in Toronto and Montreal). I'll check but I doubt we have anything like that, I think we're under 500 globally.

I don't have a Costco membership, but if the value is there in getting one then I'm not averse to doing it. Thanks for that info!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Do any Canadian providers offer data only plans? Just theorizing that I could port my US number to Google Voice, then forward it to my Zoom Phone number.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well that sucks, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It looks like Freedom Mobile will let me bring my own phone to a Tablet 5 GB plan for $15/mo, but I'm guessing they would probably catch on - if they don't outright block activation of my phone.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 9, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mister Facetious posted:

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good? Am i missing a hidden catch here? $40/40g 5g, 90 day prepay.

Canada and US data?! Holy poo poo... :eyepop:

Shameless plug: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans?referral=EY23QJ

Thank you for this, I just moved to Calgary (from Chicago) this past Sunday. I used your code to get the Canada/US data deal as I will be making a few trips back and forth.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I ordered my Public Mobile SIM on the 5th, their estimate was that it would deliver yesterday but it still hasn't arrived. Is this the norm?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Snuffman posted:

Is it true that Public Mobile lacks Wifi calling? That's the only thing stopping me on biting on their deal.

Sad but true.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Away all Goats posted:

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

No, it's having your calls and texts be carried on your home or office wifi. You could be at home or in the office, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn Wi-Fi on, and have your calls and texts still work. Likely be better quality too, as your phone won't be struggling to find or maintain connection with a cell tower.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

VOIP works whether your phone is connected to 5G, LTE, WiFi, etc.

WiFi Calling is a feature that some carriers don't have. For those that do, it should just plain work if your phone is connected to WiFi, e.g. I'm at my office in a high rise, well above cell towers, so I put my phone into airplane mode and then turn only WiFi back on. Calls and texts are working.

He's saying Bell doesn't let it work that way.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Public Mobile unfortunately doesn't have WiFi Calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Your phone is from 2018. What OS version is it running?