Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I saw an ad for this new Rogers bundle plan: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-campaigns?cm_sp=homepage-pre-_-6gb-en-0712-_-slot1

Anyone know if it's possible to change over to it from a current/plan contract? And if the 6gb LTE includes HSPA (as I don't have an LTE phone). It's a much better deal than what I'm currently getting.

I just changed my plan to the Telus equivalent and have to say I'm impressed with how easy it (ultimately) was. I bought an S3 a few weeks ago and tried to change it in store but they said I was too late, and I wasn't able to do it online (fine print even says the promotional plan doesn't apply to rate changes), but once I called them they didn't have any problem with giving it to me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

terriyaki posted:

What's the Telus equivalent? Is it exactly the same?

I was going to call today after work but instead I fell asleep. :haw:

Telus charges an extra $5 for no reason, but from the looks of it they're otherwise identical.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Just ordered an N6 off the Google Play store, first time I've seen them in stock. I tried to buy one outright from Telus but they won't let me do it in store, otherwise they charge $30 more than Google is - however I assume I will have to pay to activate it with them anyways, yes? That plus shipping means it'll cost the same in the end :nexus:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

grack posted:

You don't have to "activate" anything. Just put in your sim card.

My current phone is an S3 and apparently that SIM won't work in it? That's what Telus told me anyway but we'll see.

edit: Yeah, micro-SIM vs nano-SIM

spoof posted:

Is it actually possible to buy a phone outright anymore? I have a $150 positive tab balance and I want to do something with it before cancelling my plan at the end of the week. I tried to buy a Nexus 5 at Best Buy but the guy wouldn't sell anything outright, only put it on a tab and I would have to cancel in 2 months. Is a corporate store going to tell me the same thing? It's a bit of a drive so I don't want to go for nothing.

The excuse I was given for not being able to get a Nexus 6 outright is that it's "too new". Although Telus gives you the option on the website but not in store.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

less than three posted:

Koodo Trip Report:

TELUS is using G.722 audio encoding between on-network subscribers, which caught me off guard. "Oh god you sound so different!"

(For non-IT nerds: G.722 is a codec that sounds like FM radio/low bitrate MP3, versus standard G.711/GSM "landline" stuff.)

edit: They're calling it "HD Voice" http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/mobility/services/hd-voice/support.do

Just got my Nexus 6 today and noticed that, it's bloody bizarre. Voices sound completely different.