Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Expansion is up! http://store.steampowered.com/app/98822/
Old thread here (251 pages.)

Dungeons of Dredmor is a graphical roguelike developed and maintained by Gaslamp Games.
It launched in July 2011 and has since gotten one paid expansion (Realm of the Diggle Gods), one free community expansion (You Have to Name the Expansion Pack) and half a dozen or so free updates. There is another paid expansion coming called Conquest of the Wizardlands. More info about those below.

Features:
  • Classic Roguelike gameplay with the sweet, refreshing taste of point-and-click interfaces. No longer must you press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-x to drink a potion.
  • Randomly generated dungeons entice you with the sweet, sweet promises of treasure and … things.
  • Old-school pixel goodness. Face lovingly hand-animated monsters and enjoy the great taste of beautiful, individually rendered items on top of a sea of gorgeous, potent tilework.
  • Wield the awesome power of the Anvil of Krong, lest it wield you!
  • Incredibly complicated crafting system!
  • Diggles! Blobbies! Thrusties! Hordes of Monsters never-before seen!
  • Infinite replay value: choose from a selection of mind-boggling skills to create your character. A new gameplay experience awaits every time!
  • Did we mention there’s lutefisk?

Original trailer for the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNHzcmWKQYc
TotalBiscuit WTF is Dungeons of Dredmor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTfUnnxZV4

What is Realm of the Diggle Gods?
The first expansion, it features:
  • Six new skill trees: Veganism, Big Game Hunting, Werediggling, Emomancy, Piracy, and Demonology.
  • One Hundred New Items! .. ish.
  • Five new dungeon levels, in a variety of flavours!
  • New mysterious portals that lead to places that will kill you!
  • New scriptable rooms, providing joyful puzzles and traps!
  • A dozen new monster types to fight!
  • Polymorphing!

What is You Have to Name the Expansion Pack?
The second expansion, it was created in co-operation with modders from the community. Gaslamp took a few popular mods, reworked, rebalanced them with modders and gave them art.
Being a community expansion, it's free.
  • 4 new skills - Battle Geology, Warlockery, Clockwork Knight, Rogue Scientist.
  • 100+ new rooms pulled from the mod Interior Dredmorating.
  • New monsters courtesy of Monstrous Menagerie, and a few brand new ones!

What is Conquest of the Wizardlands?
The third expansion pack features:
  • Explore the Wizardlands!
  • Trade grafitti with your friends and send them to their terrifying deaths!
  • Crust potent, yet instable, crusts on your equipment with the new Encrusting system!
  • Explore your very own pocket dimension, and decorate it to your taste!
  • New Skill Trees: Communism, Banksterism, Magical Law, Egyptian Magic, Paranormal Investigator, and Tourist!
  • Minibosses!
  • New monster types!
  • Diggle Hell! It's a real place!
  • Two new audio tracks!
  • Wield baffling, incredulous, powerful, and just plain stupid items!
  • Keep Gaslamp Games off of the streets! We're running out of matches to sell and will soon be forced to start gnawing on our own legs.
On top of those expansions, a lot of things have changed in the base game. In fact, it would be easier to say what hasn't changed. But here's the major points of it.
  • Billions of bugfixes and new bugs introduced
  • Female character
  • Tons of new items
  • New equipment slots
  • Revamped crafting system
  • Most base skills rebalanced or changed altogether
  • Quicksell
  • Small dungeon mode
  • Large UI
  • Autoloot
  • Better minimap
  • Combat calculations revamp
And most importantly perhaps...

:siren:Modding:siren:

Right now, the game has great modding support and a community really dedicated to it. We're up to hundreds of mods, even!
On June 5th, we officially activated the Steam Workshop support for Dungeons of Dredmor, so you can now find most mods there.

You can also find a frequently updated mod index here, with the direct downloadable versions. The advantage of these is no auto-updates that might break your saves.

If you would like to try a hand at modding yourself, check out http://dredmod.com/wiki/Main_Page, it's a decent resource for starting modders. You can find most answers on the official forums under the modding section.

Other info

Dredmorpedia is an online encyclopedia of items, monsters, crafting recipes and skills, all tightly organized.
There are also two wikis: http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/ (the better one) and http://dungeonsofdredmor.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeons_of_Dredmor_Wiki

Statistics Chart

Wizardland codes sharing spreadsheet

Encrusting information

MINI-FAQ

Q: How do I sell stuff?
A: Drag it to the shopkeepers or the pedestals. Shift click items while in the shop to quicksell.

Q: How do I pick stuff up easily?
A: Shift+Click

Q: What does the lutefisk shrine do?
A: Trading at least 100ish gives you a good chance to an artifact. The more (up to 500) the better you get.

Q: How do I open Uberchests?
A: Random lever on the floor. The icon will change when it's open to have a blueish glow.

How do I get items on islands?
A: You need either a teleport skill or a ranged knockback skill or item.

What are Mysterious Portals?
A: Randomized floors with enemies and items from all floors. Very dangerous early on.

What is "It Belongs in a Museum?"
A: With it active, right click any artifact item in your inventory. The higher its artifact level (deeper you find it, and the more enchanted it is), the more experience you gain.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Reserved just in case. Much cleaner OP now. Let me know if anything's missing.

edit: expansion's out, see OP

Oh yeah it's also worth noting that some of the devs both read and have accounts! nvining and dbaumgart. They posted in the old thread.

Here's to another 250 pages!

Daynab fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 3, 2012

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Daynab posted:

Reserved just in case. Much cleaner OP now. Let me know if anything's missing.

To pick nits (just like I did when I beta-tested), you've got "Realms of the Diggle Gods" instead of "Realm of the Diggle Gods" twice.

And you say "Incredibly complicated crafting system!", but is it really that complicated? If you asked me to name a game with a complicated crafting system, I'd be quicker to think of, say, Vanguard than Dredmor.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.

Copycat Zero posted:

And you say "Incredibly complicated crafting system!", but is it really that complicated? If you asked me to name a game with a complicated crafting system, I'd be quicker to think of, say, Vanguard than Dredmor.

In fairness it did change twice. And will only have more added to it with the upcoming expansion...

I'm not sure if this makes it 'progressive' rather than 'complicated', however.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Copycat Zero posted:

To pick nits (just like I did when I beta-tested), you've got "Realms of the Diggle Gods" instead of "Realm of the Diggle Gods" twice.

It's complicated because the UI is a piece of poo poo that makes figuring out what you're going to craft a complicated experience that consists of going online to look up stats or something like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Daynab posted:

Female character

Wasn't this already a thing?

But seriously this sounds pretty awesome. I was going to wait till I was bored of the main game to get the expansion, but I just can't turn down a free one. I'm updating as we speak.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Copycat Zero posted:

Woops, fixed. Thanks. And yeah, what they both said really regarding crafting. It was in the original featurelist so I kept it :v:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's complicated because the UI is a piece of poo poo that makes figuring out what you're going to craft a complicated experience that consists of going online to look up stats or something like that.
Yeah showing stat tooltips of the things you're going to make is still on the todo list.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh yeah it was added around the RotDG times I believe. The game didn't launch with one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr_Amazing posted:

But seriously this sounds pretty awesome. I was going to wait till I was bored of the main game to get the expansion, but I just can't turn down a free one. I'm updating as we speak.

The female player character was introduced at the same time as Realm of the Diggle Gods, but was made available to all players, regardless of ownership of RotDG.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Copycat Zero posted:

The entire OP reads rather tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't be surprised if the crafting thing is a joke.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I have a wizardly character who seems to be becoming less and less effective as I progress through the dungeon. Promethian Magic (or whatever it's called, the fire one) used to only need me to use the first skill to kill things trivially, but now I have to use the rune and I run out of mana very quickly. I levelled up Blood Magic instead of the fire one, though. Is it smarter to maximise damage output over utility? Or is it a gear problem? (I don't check my gear too frequently, the pictures still confuse me :eng99:)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Dreggon posted:

I have a wizardly character who seems to be becoming less and less effective as I progress through the dungeon. Promethian Magic (or whatever it's called, the fire one) used to only need me to use the first skill to kill things trivially, but now I have to use the rune and I run out of mana very quickly. I levelled up Blood Magic instead of the fire one, though. Is it smarter to maximise damage output over utility? Or is it a gear problem? (I don't check my gear too frequently, the pictures still confuse me :eng99:)

I tend to rush Gog's Tactical Pyre when I play Promethean. Blood Magic actually gets most of its utility in its starting skill and just sort of expands on it from there, while as you're noticing the first couple of skills in Promethean will only get you to floor 3 or so. Obvious Fireball will pick up some slack, and Gog's Tactical Pyre is potent enough to get you through the endgame.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Daynab: You didn't name the expansion pack in that first screenshot in the OP. You HAVE to name the expansion pack. :colbert:

Also, might want to mention how to get It Belongs In A Museum! to work in the mini-FAQ, because that's one of the few slightly unintuitive / unexplained things in-game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dreggon posted:

Gear is important to your build as well. Make sure you're going for gear that increases wizard stats such as magic power, etc.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Benly posted:

I tend to rush Gog's Tactical Pyre when I play Promethean. Blood Magic actually gets most of its utility in its starting skill and just sort of expands on it from there, while as you're noticing the first couple of skills in Promethean will only get you to floor 3 or so. Obvious Fireball will pick up some slack, and Gog's Tactical Pyre is potent enough to get you through the endgame.

Cheers, looks like my problem is one of levelling. Looking at my skills tree, though, after playing the game for a bit I can see several trees which I will never really use, like Viking Wizardry. At least I didn't get Vampirism - tried it on my first character (I find lifesteal to generally be one of the most broken mechanics in any game) and got stuck behind a trap with no way to regenerate my health :downs:

Scyantific posted:

Gear is important to your build as well. Make sure you're going for gear that increases wizard stats such as magic power, etc.

Is there an easier way to find/craft gear that's more tailored towards my character? I've stolen from Brax a few times (by standing on the tile which he moves to and dropping it behind him, then walking out and picking it up once I've already left) but he rarely had anything that was super-good for a mage character.

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 25, 2012

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Professor Moriarty posted:

Daynab: You didn't name the expansion pack in that first screenshot in the OP. You HAVE to name the expansion pack. :colbert:

Also, might want to mention how to get It Belongs In A Museum! to work in the mini-FAQ, because that's one of the few slightly unintuitive / unexplained things in-game.

I cheated. I named it then I named it back :v:

Good points, will add that to the FAQ.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How do you name the expansion pack anyway? :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I still don't understand why we need new threads to discuss expansions that we've already discussed for months in the old thread.

Beat Dredmor for the first time recently on Elvishly Easy with Permadeath. Got both achievements for the Easy Mode. Moving on up to Medium!

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

How do you name the expansion pack anyway? :v:

On the main menu, click the subtitle and hit backspace!

I named mine The Brow, the Brax and the Diggly. :haw:

Found Sound fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 25, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is it a design choice for lots of magic items to have more abilities than those listed in the description? Like knockback effects and other stuff.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Met posted:

I still don't understand why we need new threads to discuss expansions that we've already discussed for months in the old thread.

Isn't there a post limit for each thread? At the very least, the old thread was over 250 pages long, with (as Daynab said when linking this thread) the first X pages of the thread talking about the game in pre-release beta, so a new thread makes things easier all around for new readers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Met posted:

Beat Dredmor for the first time recently on Elvishly Easy with Permadeath. Got both achievements for the Easy Mode. Moving on up to Medium!

Because the OP's been wanting to make a new one for a while even before the release of the free expansion? Also, there's a new one coming out so it's just anticipation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

You can leftclick an adjacent tile or walk over it.

You should be able to pick up any caltrops under you if you set off the trap. Makes gathering them annoying.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 25, 2012

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Met posted:

Hit 'unbookmark this thread' at the bottom of the old one, hit 'bookmark this thread' at the bottom of this one. Go on with your life. I hardly notice the difference, I just look for the thread that mentions 'Dredmor' in my control panel page.

Since it was at the end of the old thread, let me ask a couple things again: is 'infernal torus' supposed to do so much damage to you? I think the last time I played a promethean character that deep in the tree was when AoE damage was bugged to do no damage to you if you didn't move. So yeah, it was a while ago. But as it stands it seems like a terrible spell. I have to be in the middle of the monsters to use it effectively, so I'm already taking a huge risk with a squishy mage, and then I have to eat 5 ticks of my own fire damage. Shouldn't it damage the squares around you, not the one you're on?

And also, I think I found a bug in that setting your own pet on fire will cause it to stop attacking. It will just stand in front of the enemy and do nothing. Is this supposed to represent my pet being pissed off at me, or is it the more likely case that it's just bugged?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Every few months I get reminded that I should play this game some more. I guess now is as good a time as any.

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

Played a few characters so far and have only gotten to about level 7 or so on Dwarvish Moderation with permadeath. Going for something completely different this time, though I suspect I'm not going to make it very far with this build: Necronomiconomics, Magic Training, Blood Magic, Burglary, Alchemy, Archaeology and Emomancy.

Welp, 5 minutes and a score of 316 later and I know this is horrible. Deathly Hex as my only real damaging attack sort of ruined any chance I may have had.

Kiryuin Satsuki fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 25, 2012

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
This is hands down the best $6.50 I've ever spent in gaming. I'm excited to see there is even more content coming down the pipeline.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Steppin_Razor posted:

Necronomiconomics, Magic Training, Blood Magic, Burglary, Alchemy, Archaeology and Emomancy.

Welp, 5 minutes and a score of 316 later and I know this is horrible. Deathly Hex as my only real damaging attack sort of ruined any chance I may have had.

Aside from Burglary/Alchemy/Archaeology that was mostly my magic man run. Put Flesh Crafting in there and it'll help a good deal, it and Blood Magic worked really well together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"The entire Mustache Fighting League comes to punish you for stealing their most holy treasure!"

Cue about 30 Mustache Fighting League Champions spawning all around me. Good show, Gaslamp, you got me.

Well, you made me laugh at least. They all died like chumps because Mustaches are a weak and pitiful foe, but it's amusing anyways! Also, please stop giving me Bolt Eruptors. One room literally had FOUR of them in it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

"The entire Mustache Fighting League comes to punish you for stealing their most holy treasure!"

Cue about 30 Mustache Fighting League Champions spawning all around me. Good show, Gaslamp, you got me.

Well, you made me laugh at least. They all died like chumps because Mustaches are a weak and pitiful foe, but it's amusing anyways! Also, please stop giving me Bolt Eruptors. One room literally had FOUR of them in it.

What was the treasure, a Champion Belt? :downs:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Gromit posted:

Is it a design choice for lots of magic items to have more abilities than those listed in the description? Like knockback effects and other stuff.

Yeah, sort of.

Met posted:

If this is your main account, on SA it's pretty much a tradition to make new threads after a while due to how big they get.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can leftclick an adjacent tile or walk over it.

That only quickloots if you have... autoloot enabled.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Since it was at the end of the old thread, let me ask a couple things again: is 'infernal torus' supposed to do so much damage to you? I think the last time I played a promethean character that deep in the tree was when AoE damage was bugged to do no damage to you if you didn't move. So yeah, it was a while ago. But as it stands it seems like a terrible spell. I have to be in the middle of the monsters to use it effectively, so I'm already taking a huge risk with a squishy mage, and then I have to eat 5 ticks of my own fire damage. Shouldn't it damage the squares around you, not the one you're on?

And also, I think I found a bug in that setting your own pet on fire will cause it to stop attacking. It will just stand in front of the enemy and do nothing. Is this supposed to represent my pet being pissed off at me, or is it the more likely case that it's just bugged?

This is strange. Did you have any -fire resist on your gear or something? usually by the time you get Torus you're pretty fireproof.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KataraniSword posted:

What was the treasure, a Champion Belt? :downs:
A BOLT ERUPTOR! :q:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Open the menu. Turn on directions as use/attack. Game is better.

Can you close doors?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

A BOLT ERUPTOR! :q:

Check out this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75414172&searchtext=
It adds nearly 100 new items, mostly at later it the dungeon. Helps the diversity greatly. It's pretty neat.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Unless you smashed them (or there is an enemy on any door tile) stand on either of the four wall-adjacent tile just outside a door and click the wall-adjacent door tile next to you. It got me killed many times in combat because I forget. :black101::bang:

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I understand that Shift-clicking automaticly puts items into your bag. Would it be possible to have a keyboard short-cut to put a item into the lutefish cube? Having to drag and drop 1,000 items gets old fast.

Thanks

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

LeninVS posted:

I understand that Shift-clicking automaticly puts items into your bag. Would it be possible to have a keyboard short-cut to put a item into the lutefish cube? Having to drag and drop 1,000 items gets old fast.

Thanks

This will be in the game with the next expansion (for free obviously, just at the same time.) Shift + Alt click with the cube open autofisks them.

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Aside from Burglary/Alchemy/Archaeology that was mostly my magic man run. Put Flesh Crafting in there and it'll help a good deal, it and Blood Magic worked really well together.

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot later. For now, I'm going with Unarmed, Artful Dodging, Burglary, Assassination, Smithing, Tinkering and Clockwork Knight. I'm currently level 4 and still on the first floor and I just found The Crownstar Addendum in a fountain I drank from.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Steppin_Razor posted:

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot later. For now, I'm going with Unarmed, Artful Dodging, Burglary, Assassination, Smithing, Tinkering and Clockwork Knight. I'm currently level 4 and still on the first floor and I just found The Crownstar Addendum in a fountain I drank from.

The Clockwork Knight trifecta seems like it'd be a bad fit for Artful Dodger, since a lot of the smithing/tinkering stuff is heavier armor that nerfs your dodge rate.

Then again, I've never beaten a permadeath run, so what do I know. :v:

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

The Clockwork Knight trifecta seems like it'd be a bad fit for Artful Dodger, since a lot of the smithing/tinkering stuff is heavier armor that nerfs your dodge rate.

Then again, I've never beaten a permadeath run, so what do I know. :v:

Yeah I suspect they won't work too well together later on, but for the moment where I have pretty much no armour at all, the dodge increase is useful.

I think the game wants me to win this run, since I encountered my very first mysterious portal, still on the first level, and decided to risk it. Cue kiting and rocket punching monsters while shooting them to death with my crossbow until I got to the end and found The King in Yellow. One Krong visit later and:

Bah, hit a lever by accident and got myself trapped in a corner by a massive horde of zombies with no way to escape. The King in Yellow was awesome at killing things, but unfortunately it also did an aoe attack the turn after I attacked something, so even though I was killing them every 1-2 turns, I was slowly killing myself as well.

Kiryuin Satsuki fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Daynab posted:

This will be in the game with the next expansion (for free obviously, just at the same time.) Shift + Alt click with the cube open autofisks them.
What does it do with the cube closed?

• Locked thread