Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Steppin_Razor posted:

Played a few characters so far and have only gotten to about level 7 or so on Dwarvish Moderation with permadeath. Going for something completely different this time, though I suspect I'm not going to make it very far with this build: Necronomiconomics, Magic Training, Blood Magic, Burglary, Alchemy, Archaeology and Emomancy.

Welp, 5 minutes and a score of 316 later and I know this is horrible. Deathly Hex as my only real damaging attack sort of ruined any chance I may have had.

Swap out Magic Training for Staves and possibly Emomancy for Warlockery. Ignore Deathly Hex and just beat things to death with the first Warlockery Skill (Puissant Strike? something like that). The mana return from Blood Magic generally makes up the cost of spamming the skill. Concentrate on getting Necro up to Pact of Fleeting Life as soon as you feasibly can, which will allow you to survive Zoos until you get up to Tenebrous Rift (and when you do get Tenebrous Rift, make sure to throw it on the ground NEAR the enemies you want dead, rather than on top of an enemy).

When it comes down to it, you sort of have to treat Necro as a melee-enhancer tree rather than a flat-out "kill poo poo with magical blasts" tree due to how the first skill works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
What mods are recommended? I just finished my first playthrough mod-free, so I'm willing to mix it up a bit at this point.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What does it do with the cube closed?

Nary a thing! And also nothing if you don't possess a cube.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm doing a character now with necro, fleshcrafting, ley lines, and astrology. I got rushed necro to the end ASAP. Now I pretty much I just open a door, cast tenebrous rift, thaumagic tap, and repeat. It doesn't seem like there's anything tenebrous rift doesn't trivially take care of, but maybe this will change on later floors.

In the beginning, astrology's level-0 skill was enough to let me use all the deathly hex I wanted. If I didn't have that, zombyficiation could have gotten the job done on its own too, a little more slowly.

Unless something changes later, necro seems fine as your main/only damage-dealing tree? It just needs some support skills to let that happen.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
A cool thing(bug?) during one of the release candidates was if you had vampirism you not only had the 1 necro resist from the first tier skill but also deathly hex stole life, so you got like 3-4 hp back every time you cast it.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

run DNC posted:

A cool thing(bug?) during one of the release candidates was if you had vampirism you not only had the 1 necro resist from the first tier skill but also deathly hex stole life, so you got like 3-4 hp back every time you cast it.

It's not a bug and it's got nothing to do with Vampirism (unless it does, in which case it is a bug), Deathly Hex is supposed to return life when you hit with it. The problem is that the life it returns isn't enough to make up for the life you're going to lose from the backlash debuffs.

[EDIT] Yeah, 0 + (0.3 x Magic Power), according to Dredmorpedia, which is pretty much nothing early in the game.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 25, 2012

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Oh wow I never realized that. I guess im a big dumb.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
How do you use "The King in Yellow"? It seems to me like a bad idea to hang around after a zalgo blast

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ChetReckless posted:

What mods are recommended? I just finished my first playthrough mod-free, so I'm willing to mix it up a bit at this point.
2001: A Taunt Odyssey
Interior Dredmorating
Meltdown
A Debacle of Diggles
More Dred

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the Fedora still a good item to Krong or should I save the anvils for something special?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would Krong a ring or necklace. Those rarely get replaced.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

How do you use "The King in Yellow"? It seems to me like a bad idea to hang around after a zalgo blast

You're right, the answer is "don't hang around". Immediately use a teleport skill to get away, preferably a directed one like the ley walker capstone skill or Xeuclid's Translation (from mathemagic). It also helps if you have access to some debuff clearers, like potions of purity, zodiacal wands, or emomancy's The Cure.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Daynab posted:

This is strange. Did you have any -fire resist on your gear or something? usually by the time you get Torus you're pretty fireproof.

No, but it was on NTTG mode. I thought I'd give it one more try with a caster to see if it was more viable. Looks like a no. You level fast enough that I had torus by the time I was down to level 5 or so, but I had hardly any gear with decent resists on it by that point, just the default amount that you get for speccing that deep into promethean. Unfortunately, the ice floor ate my lunch. You'd think fire would be good against icy foes. The answer is no, no it's not.

Let me just point out once more, NTTG needs a buff in the loot department. Either increase the quantity (which is probably a bad idea, because I don't really want 50 more worthless traffic cones and flippy floppies) or increase the quality. Completing a floor in NTTG should net you the same number of useful artifact items as doing it in normal mode.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the Fedora still a good item to Krong or should I save the anvils for something special?

There's only one better rogue hat in the game, and I've not seen it before level 9. I Krong the hell out of mine.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Daynab posted:

This will be in the game with the next expansion (for free obviously, just at the same time.) Shift + Alt click with the cube open autofisks them.

Oh man, I've been wanting this so bad. And I'd just like to add, this has seriously been my best gaming purchase in years. I'm over 200 hours already :blush:

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Anyone else feel like this game takes an unexpectedly long time? NTTG is what I pick by default now because the regular dungeon floors are unbearably huge, and it still takes me a good hour to fully finish a floor even as I skip most loot / tricks to grind stuff and speed up walking and animations. At this rate it'll take me over a week just to reach floor 10.

It just feels like it takes a really, really long time to get the first 2 or 3 floors which I've seen dozens of times already.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sudoku posted:

Anyone else feel like this game takes an unexpectedly long time? NTTG is what I pick by default now because the regular dungeon floors are unbearably huge, and it still takes me a good hour to fully finish a floor even as I skip most loot / tricks to grind stuff and speed up walking and animations. At this rate it'll take me over a week just to reach floor 10.

It just feels like it takes a really, really long time to get the first 2 or 3 floors which I've seen dozens of times already.

Yep. I switched to playing NTTG for this very reason, then stopped playing NTTG because the game is much harder when you find no worthwhile items, can't use crafting skills, and there's only one tiny shop per floor, then realized that after playing NTTG the normal mode feels even more tedious, and now I'm waiting for the expansion in the hope that it'll fix some of this.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Yeah, I really start to get bored around floor 8-9 or so, especially on melee characters. Having to clear monster zoos one by one is extremely tedious, and more so the tougher the enemies get lower on. Charge of the Steam Brigade helped a lot with this early on, but on the later floors it'll just get you killed. I know it's a kind of tradeoff given that melee characters are durable and can fight monsters one-on-one with ease, but the problem is it's kind of boring. Hopefully mod packs can address this with melee skill trees, along the lines of Clockwork Knight.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 25, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, the game sure was a lot more simple when there were only melee monsters. Also were the floors smaller somehow? at least that's how it feels.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Just take a step back after you strike. I once got The King in Yellow (two of them actually) and the Golden God Mask from a portal on level 1 then accidentally hit Brax with the zalgo aoe from it and was immediately murdered.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Yeah, I really start to get bored around floor 8-9 or so, especially on melee characters. Having to clear monster zoos one by one is extremely tedious, and more so the tougher the enemies get lower on. Charge of the Steam Brigade helped a lot with this early on, but on the later floors it'll just get you killed. I know it's a kind of tradeoff given that melee characters are durable and can fight monsters one-on-one with ease, but the problem is it's kind of boring. Hopefully mod packs can address this with melee skill trees, along the lines of Clockwork Knight.

Sounds mostly like a standard roguelike problem to me. I did feel the same with the one melee character that really took off - I can recall multiple roguelikes with viable melee having the same issue - Crawl being one of mention.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I opened a chest on floor 1 and out popped some sort of pig monster that was way too strong for me. I ran away with it following me and found a fountain. I figured I might as well drink it to see if it would help, but oops, it was filled with acid. I love this game.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Yeah, I really start to get bored around floor 8-9 or so, especially on melee characters.

Honestly I feel like adding 5 more floors in RotDG was kind of a mistake: my two victories I had already felt tired by the end, and my one expansion pack win I just wanted it to END by floor 12. Imagine the game if the content in the last 5 floors was instead distributed around the first 10 instead. Maybe the earlier floors would stay a little more fresh.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If I steal from Brax on floor 4 he's not supposed to attack me on floor 5 is he?

Because that just happened and boy howdy did it suck.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Wezlar posted:

If I steal from Brax on floor 4 he's not supposed to attack me on floor 5 is he?

Because that just happened and boy howdy did it suck.

If you steal an item from Brax, you have to drop it outside the next shops, or he will recognize it and attack you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Daynab posted:

If you steal an item from Brax, you have to drop it outside the next shops, or he will recognize it and attack you.

Oh, is this how it works?

Well. That explains why I was attacked out of nowhere on my Burglary run. I thought it was because of bugs with Five-Fingered Discount and Vending Looter. :downs:

Now that explains why things happened how they did and I had to attack all Braxes.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Do most of the mods on the steam workshop require Realm of the diggle gods? Most of them cause me to crash on character creation.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deki posted:

Do most of the mods on the steam workshop require Realm of the diggle gods? Most of them cause me to crash on character creation.

A fair number of them do. I know for a fact Roguish Renovation and Interior Dredmorating do; many of the skillset mods require art assets (be it for monsters or skill icons) that were only added in the expansion.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
What are the directed teleport skills? I only know Knightly Leap and Xeuclid's Translation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Arcane Geometries (leylines) and several of the Clockwork Knight skills.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Move In Mysterious Ways (the top tier Burglary skill) is a directed teleport, too, but it's got a pretty hefty cooldown for what it is. I don't know if Xeuclid can let you teleport into areas you can't immediately see, but if it can, it's already superior even ignoring MP-versus-cooldown, as Mysterious Ways only lets you teleport within your sight radius.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely stoked for Wizardlands! I mean, the hope was to finally jump in moreso again at long last after just buying everything they've sold up until now with the last free DLC pack, but now with this looming in the near future I might as well kick back and wait for it to get settled out as well.

I'd love it if they maintained this rhythm roughly from now until years from now even with whatever the next project is---just a nice pace of Paid Expansion DLC/Free Souped up User-Wrought Bundle DLC on repeat. It really is just about the best approach to post-release support I've seen on a PC game in ages and seems a good way to engage the community as well as keeping things fresh on their end.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

KataraniSword posted:

Move In Mysterious Ways (the top tier Burglary skill) is a directed teleport, too, but it's got a pretty hefty cooldown for what it is. I don't know if Xeuclid can let you teleport into areas you can't immediately see, but if it can, it's already superior even ignoring MP-versus-cooldown, as Mysterious Ways only lets you teleport within your sight radius.

Xeuclid is still limited to squares you can see, as far as I know, but having no cooldown is what really pushes it into "best skill in the game" territory.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
When you take an item from a shop. Can you teleport out? even though the guy blocks the way out?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Manic Mongoose posted:

When you take an item from a shop. Can you teleport out? even though the guy blocks the way out?

Absolutely, but this will still flag you as a thief and spawn a neverending horde of guard demons (until you get to the stairs.)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Manic Mongoose posted:

Walk up to the guy (he'll be in the doorway blocking you), drop the item on the tile you're standing on and he'll move back (if he doesn't, go pick up another item and drop it so he moves). Stand in the doorway where he was previously blocking you, pick up the item - Brax will move onto the same tile as you - then drop the item on the square just past Brax (outside the store). He should move back, then you just walk out of the store (past the item is good) then pick it up from outside the shop, go up/down the stairs, then back to the same floor. Done.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Daynab posted:

Even if you're wearing it?

That's a one dilly of a pickle

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

finally

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

A lot easier to unlock with Permadeath off; then you can do something stupid like run Necronomiconomics and run yourself to 1 or 2 HP, save, and kick a door. If it doesn't work, run yourself through with a Diggle and reload.

I have yet to do the same thing with the Boil Water Advisory, though; it's the single "die for this cheevo" achievement I've yet to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

medibot posted:

Xeuclid is still limited to squares you can see, as far as I know, but having no cooldown is what really pushes it into "best skill in the game" territory.

Also, if you have Xeuclid's you also have Jump Discontinuity, which can take you out of line of sight. It takes a few tries, but it can still save you a lot of time to jump through a thin wall when the other way around is most of the way across the floor.

• Locked thread