Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Caustic Soda posted:

Oh, and note that Gog's Tactical Pyre stacks, you can have up to 14 Pyres on one tile at a time. It also has one of the highest ratios of damage per Magic Power in the game, in a single damage type so it is harder to resist.

Gog STACKS? Holy Moley I have been playing my Mathemagic/Astromancy/Promethean/Blood/Alchemy/Archaeology/Battle Geology character wrong. Not very wrong because that's an amazing wizzerd combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arglebargle III posted:

Gog STACKS? Holy Moley I have been playing my Mathemagic/Astromancy/Promethean/Blood/Alchemy/Archaeology/Battle Geology character wrong. Not very wrong because that's an amazing wizzerd combo.

One of the easiest ways to play a magic build in Dredmor is to rush Promethean until you get Gog's, then barf up pyres all over a choke point if you get overwhelmed. It's not the best for one-on-one fighting since you're wasting a huge chunk of that damage, but it's a good way to funnel a monster zoo into uselessness.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Solis posted:

Is there a newbie guide for this game? Or at least something somewhere with basic build suggestions?

Not to my knowledge, although the Wikis can help figure out damage scaling, cooldowns etc. ahead of time.

Generally speaking, you'll want good single-target damage, a good AoE attack, healing and teleportation. Any skill which provides a summon will help out immensely in the early game. That includes Promethean, Golemancy, Fleshcrafting and Fungal Arts.

Melee builds will want good armor and resists too. Buff-heavy characters will want Ley Lines for Thaumaturgic Tap. Blaster-casters will want Blood Magic to help fuel their spellcasting. Rogue skills are mostly support, they lack repeatable single-target or AoE attacks, so it's hard to base your build around them. Having a crafting skill on a character can help, but more than one provide more clutter in your inventory than they're worth, IMO.

Most teleportation has a cooldown, so they're useful for escaping but not as much for positioning in combat. The exception is Mathemagics, which provides a teleport running off mana instead.

Without mods, it's hard to build around Crossbows as your main line of attack, since you'd run out of bolts even with Tinkering. But the crossbow can be good for softening up enemies. If you want a meaningful crossbow, you'll want Tinkering. That gets you stronger bolts in larger quantities. It'll also provide access to stronger crossbows, but that isn't quite as important.

For melee builds, Armsmastery, Berserker Rage, Communism and Smithing get you armor and resists. Vampirism or Necro gets you in-combat healing. Fleshcrafting or Emomancy get you good out-of-combat healing. Vampirism/Communism/Psionics/Egyptian Magic get you ok-ish healing, but I wouldn't pick them for that alone. For damage, you can go for weapon skills and/or buffing. Axes give the most total damage, but swords are most plentiful and give good counter-chance. For buffs, Astrology, Necro or Viking Wizardry give good returns with little skill investment. If you're willing to invest more, the final skill in Egyptian Wizardry dishes out serious AoE when you melee and knocks back your enemies. Do note that a good warrior build can get you to Dredmor, but probably won't let you melee him safely. You'll want some way to whittle him down first, so save some Bolts of Mass Destruction, Eldritch bolts, Clockwork Sawblades etc. The exception is a counterchance-focused build, but those are tough to get going early. I can rpovide a build suggestion, if you'd like.

If you go blaster-caster, Promethean Magic is a solid choice. It has a very good summon, good AoE and Single-target damage, and generally deals enough damage to pierce resistances. Astrology AoE tends to center on your character, so it can't stand alone, but it deals damage which few enemies resist, and the capstone skill has the best damage scaling in the game. Egyptian Magic has a solid AoE in Call the Sandstorm, but is manahungry enough that you'd want both Blood Magic and Leylines. Viking Magic has a very powerful capstone, but before that it lacks AoE.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh yes, does it ever stack. Of course, getting your enemies to keep stand around in your Gog takes a throwaway summon or a character capable of surviving in melee.

Out of curiosity, what do you find helpful in Battle Geology? It has a bit of self-buffs, sure, but Astrology and Promethean have you covered for AoE

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stuns! Battle Geology lets you throw stuns for zero mana, and has the excellent Petrify spell which lets you isolate a dangerous enemy or create a chokepoint also for no mana. It synergizes very well with Pyromancy, although to be honest now that I'm on Dungoen level 9 and I've been using Archaeology for mad XP I rarely need to throw stuns anymore.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Unless things have been patched in the year or more since I last played, a great beginner technique is to abuse the space-bar. When creatures are in an area-of-effect zone like fire or gas, hammer the space-bar to skip turns quickly and they will take a ton more damage than they would normally. Whereas without it a creature would just walk through a zone and take, say, 3 rounds of damage, doing this will probably kill them. The game makes the AoE tick, but no players/creatures get to move.
You'll need to learn how long you can do it before things get to move, though. Do it too long and monsters can get in your face and eat you.

Having said all that, it's probably considered cheating. But I've combined it with the crossbow that makes a fire zone to great effect, and the Fleshsmith's gas clouds work well on zoos in this way.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Stuns! Battle Geology lets you throw stuns for zero mana, and has the excellent Petrify spell which lets you isolate a dangerous enemy or create a chokepoint also for no mana. It synergizes very well with Pyromancy, although to be honest now that I'm on Dungoen level 9 and I've been using Archaeology for mad XP I rarely need to throw stuns anymore.

Huh, I missed the part where Petrify is irresistible. That makes it way, way better than I thought it was.

When do you use stuns? Early game I mostly just throw a Dragon at problems and they go away, and when I've gotten to Gog's I head directly for Xeuclid's Translation. That serves excellently to keep my character out of the line of fire.

edit: Think I'll try out a build where I max Geology early, to see how the AoE works for me, and how manageable I find the cooldowns.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 4, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Crossbow builds are pretty tough to get off the ground but they are awesome. First rule of crossbow build is don't get the crossbow skill, tiny damage and an extra 15% of bolts not breaking sucks. The best bolts always break anyways. Second rule is always be taking unarmed, unarmed damage gets added to your crossbow damage and so does the damage from books. The best crossbow build in my mind is:

Unarmed
Artful dodger
Perception
Tinkerer
Rogue scientist
+whatever else you want. I would say killer vegan and archaeology for the extra xp.

Like I said the first few levels are a nightmare. With careful use of rogue scientist's starting items you get can the first level and get sonic blast (rogue scientist skill). Sonic blast can 1 shot most enemies on the first two floors and kill animals with no penalty. So with that time pump unarmed, perception, and some tinkerer. Once you got a high unarmed you can play as a lovely unarmed build until your tinkering get you a max star crossbow and infinite bolts. At that point you have crazy high dodge and massive range damage. Around level 15 is when the build becomes near immortal.

Grabbing a crossbow with a decent Aethereal and/or righteous damage, encrusting with the gaudy bauble, unarmed's passive Aethereal damage, and using 2 Aethereal damage books will destroy dredmor.

Funny enough by the end of my game I just stopped with the ranged damage because it was faster just bump everything to death. My dodge was near 100% and my counter wasn't too bad either. And I had a mountain of healing potions thanks to perception and rogue scientist. Though I didn't take killer vegan in my build, I took big game hunter. It was fairly useless though.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Caustic Soda posted:

Huh, I missed the part where Petrify is irresistible. That makes it way, way better than I thought it was.

When do you use stuns? Early game I mostly just throw a Dragon at problems and they go away, and when I've gotten to Gog's I head directly for Xeuclid's Translation. That serves excellently to keep my character out of the line of fire.

edit: Think I'll try out a build where I max Geology early, to see how the AoE works for me, and how manageable I find the cooldowns.

I use stuns mostly to keep people where I want them i.e. on flaming tiles. Petrify (or Rock Wand), Gog+Explosive Runes and the regular 30-round line stun will kill a hallway for minimal mana investment. Basically you just make monsters stand in the fire.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

If you really want to break the game take Viking magic. That fear spell is AOE and barely cost any mana. And it works on everything including dredmor.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thor's Fulminaric Bolt is also the strongest single-target instant damage spell in the game and is incredible against Dredmor and elite mobs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And if I recall correctly, it scales on savvy, so even non-wizard heavy characters can made good use of it.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Fulminaric Bolt doesn't scale off Savvy, no unmodded spell does. But it does have a whopping 36 base damage on the targeted tile, in addition to the base 7 in a R1 circle. In total, Fulminaric Bolt does 43 base damage + 0.9*Magic Power to the center tile. The base Voltaic damage alone is enough to pierce Dredmor's resistance.

For comparison, The Stars Aligned does 28 + 0.71*Power.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My bad, what scales with savvy is the mana cost. Forget I said anything.

Also, about the 0.9/MP ratio you are talking about, are you lumping together the ratios of voltaic and blast damage plus the damage of the lightning blast aftereffect that happens one turn after the initial casting? I'm not sure you should count it together, because blast and lightning resistance are different and the lightning blast aftereffect is a different attack, and therefore it should be compared against resistances separately. If so it mitigates a lot of damage from it, but I'm not really sure about the mechanics.

The problem with the Big D is he has a ton of health and resistances, so you need sustainable and damaging attacks to hurt him. The great thing about The Stars Aligned is that combines good base damage with a great ratio and Dredmor has zero resistance against aethereal damage. Another great thing if you have a character with tons of magic power, pearlescent wands are like an atomic bomb, they wreck him badly because he lacks holy resistance either.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

The problem with the Big D is he has a ton of health and resistances, so you need sustainable and damaging attacks to hurt him.

That is why you fear dredmor then just sit back and thunder him until to you win.

Or petrify him and get a ton of free hits.

Or sonic wand him so he can't cast spells.

Or just throw chainsaw blades until the stacking bleed kill him.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Heyo, been playing this lately. After a long string of failures, I'm having some success on GR-PD-NttG-RooDG with a Polearms/Shields/Armor/Viking/Blood/Smith/Geology. It's very secure, but getting pretty boring, leading to incidents of accidentally alpha-striking a monster zoo with all of my consumables.
I've maxed out Polearms, Armor, and Smithing, and stuck a couple points in Blood. What's next? I was thinking of more Viking Magic, because my mana regen is outstripping the drain price.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You'll definitely want the high-level viking spells once you run into the endgame things, although I can't say I know how effective they'll be since most of your skills are warrior skills so you won't have much in the way of wizard stats.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mzbundifund posted:

You'll definitely want the high-level viking spells once you run into the endgame things, although I can't say I know how effective they'll be since most of your skills are warrior skills so you won't have much in the way of wizard stats.

I'm pretty sure the stun on Fulminaric Bolt is utterly unrelated to the user's stats, so it's fantastic as long as you have the MP for it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I'm pretty sure the stun on Fulminaric Bolt is utterly unrelated to the user's stats, so it's fantastic as long as you have the MP for it.

It does scale with the normal wizardy stats, but it has a good enough base damage that even warriors can bypass dredmor's resistance.

The real prize of the Viking magic is the unholy war cry. That skill is so good is breaks the game. An instant 12 turns of everything leaving you alone, while you hurls saw blades at them.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Cool, so I'm going to finish off Viking Wizardry. Just got the Warcry, it is really useful. The rest are pretty wimpy, but they're something to use while waiting for Polearms to recharge, and Skatha's Roots is good for immobilizing enemies.
I think Battle Geologist next, then Blood Mage, then Shield?
Or should I shoot for Haemetic Phylactery sooner?

I found a Lava Lance recently. Should I Krong and Encrust the hell out of it, or hold out for a Spear of Holy Sacrifice? Looking at the Wiki, I don't think I could craft or afford one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone used Skatha's Roots in tandem with Gog? Is it worth the extra mana?

I really don't understand the appeal of the new Haematic Phylactery.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Cool, so I'm going to finish off Viking Wizardry. Just got the Warcry, it is really useful. The rest are pretty wimpy, but they're something to use while waiting for Polearms to recharge, and Skatha's Roots is good for immobilizing enemies.
I think Battle Geologist next, then Blood Mage, then Shield?
Or should I shoot for Haemetic Phylactery sooner?

I found a Lava Lance recently. Should I Krong and Encrust the hell out of it, or hold out for a Spear of Holy Sacrifice? Looking at the Wiki, I don't think I could craft or afford one.

First off make sure you got 100 block or more. A monster can't corrupt your equipment if you block their attack, so that is a pretty big deal (there are still two monsters with corrupt equipment spells). Taking 1/2 normal damage and 3/4 exotic damage is also nice.

Geologist gives you way of preventing monsters from casting spells. Uppercut and earthquake gives multiple enemies the dazed debuff which tanks defensive abilities and prevent spell casting. Petrification gives you 14 turns to hit an enemy without any worry, this is great for bosses. Plutonic fist is a great debuff on enemies with critical hit rate like muscle diggles and dredmor.

I'm not a big fan of haemetic phylacetery myself. I dislike the debuff it gives while you hold on to it. But it is still the best healing item in the game.

Shield gives you a ton of hp regen. Duck and cover! Gives you +4 to hp regen. And tortoise maneuver gives you another +4 hp regen.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm amazed to see this thread still active. Are there any highly recommended mods these days?

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Woebin posted:

I'm amazed to see this thread still active. Are there any highly recommended mods these days?
Personally, I would go for at least one of the megapacks (Interior Dredmorating, Monstrous Megapack, etc.). Craft'n'Smelt is an expansion of the game, but it pretty much needs to be used on its own, as it only supports non-modded items. Jay's Mega Phoneme Mod & Death by a Thousand Taunts can be used with it though, because they don't affect the main game past item names and what the monsters say. Compleat Essential Skills adds 11 skills to the game, but past that, it's a matter of preference.

Flamander fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 17, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I swear by the Meltdown mod just because it makes the trash weapons you find worth anything. I can see how it would be seen by some as a "cheat" mod, though, given how you end up drowning in ingots even faster with Perception than you did before.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
How does the encrusting thing work? There's basically nothing about encrusting on the wiki and search results look like they might be out of date. Can one do it more than once per item? Is it a good idea to do it at all?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ornedan posted:

How does the encrusting thing work? There's basically nothing about encrusting on the wiki and search results look like they might be out of date. Can one do it more than once per item? Is it a good idea to do it at all?

The OP itself has what you seek.

Hope that helps.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
That's part of the stuff that might be out of date. I've seen references to instability being able to proc Haematic Drain (permanent debuff) and after digging a bit it seems to be listed in the encrust definition XML file (expansion3/encrustDB.xml). And there are 16 unstableEffect definitions there, not 6.
I guess I could be looking at the wrong place, though.

Does anyone that has played recently know if the linked encrusting guide is up to date? I'd kinda prefer not to waste a ton of resources on an item only to end up making it unusable.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
So is the old blender build still working? Or I guess, will maces and swords both proc if you use them?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

aaaaaaaaaargh

My game crashed and then told me the dungon had rearranged itself, and when I went back to my pocket dimension all my stored craftables and special items had vanished.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So does anyone have a good list of mods to use that work well with the game and are fun? I'm always leery of mods' balance and I'd imagine in a roguelike they could potentially make things a cakewalk.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

This is the wrong thread.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

aaaaaaaaaargh

My game crashed and then told me the dungon had rearranged itself, and when I went back to my pocket dimension all my stored craftables and special items had vanished.

FFFFFFFFFF it happened again and this time I didn't notice any warning about the dungen rearranging itself.

Why do I even bother doing crafting builds if I'm going to lose all my craftables twice a day :mad:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why do I even bother doing crafting builds

because you hate yourself and want to suffer

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

because you hate yourself and want to suffer

I love tinkerer builds. My most successful builds have been unarmed tinkerer with artful dodger and perception. You dodge for days and your arrows hit like a truck. I also had mad scientist in that build for healing potions. If you get that build to level 15 you have won the game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how poor of an idea is holding on to high-level alcohol as a melee character to take advantage of the drunk de/buffs?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Well I wouldn't want to micromanage my game like that for any bonus, even if the +5 damage and +2 caddishness from hitting the Ballmer Peak is decent. If you don't mind micromanagement, and you can spare the inventory space, then more power to you. You'll probably be better off carrying lower levels of alcohol as well/instead of high-end drinks, though.

Remember that the buffs scale based on how much MP you'll be recovering. You hit the peak at 25-29, so with only vanilla alcohol you can't keep it going all the time, since even Sewer Brew provides 5 MP. Over the peak is strictly debuff, so drinking high-end alcohol needs to happen some turns before you enter melee. Part of the time you'll be at 10-24 drunkenness which'll get you either +1 Burliness +1 Caddishness or + 2 Caddishness. Not exactly amazing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahahahaha gently caress I just found a Crownstar in the first loving fountain this run. I didn't even know that was possible :allears:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
If this were Crawl, I'd say you were doomed. SInce it's Dredmor, perhaps not. Fun find, in either case.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Two bugs in my latest game (Wizardlands, beta, with hammer of hephaestus and sweet sweet swag mods):
Every time the game saves or autosaves I lose ~10 health and mana. No matter where I am - dungeon, pocket dimension, wizardland, both autosave and manual "save and continue" has this effect.
My gear gives me a +6 to trap affinity and my maxed Archaeologist skill tree gives me +3, but my trap affinity is permanently at 3. Donning and removing gear has no effect on the level.

I'm on DL13 and want to try to kill Dredmor with this character... after I do this, would it be worth sending the save to Gaslamp so they can examine it?

E: Second question. If you gain enough XP to level up after you've maxed all your skill trees, what can you do with the skill point? Or is it wasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

If you gain enough XP to level up after you've maxed all your skill trees, what can you do with the skill point? Or is it wasted?

Yeah, those extra skill points can't do anything.

• Locked thread