Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Oh my, this thread's new discussion trend has reminded me of the time I spent in Japan. I worked at what was basically a big orphanage/daycare center for kids who either lost their parents due to them dying or running off overseas, abused them, or had parents that were so poor they couldn't afford them.

There's actually a huge network of Aijien (children's homes) that take up some of the burden of childcare for very poor families. I honestly never did quite figure out what exactly most of these kids were in the home for - some were obviously orphans or abused, but many had parents or other relatives come to visit frequently, and many even were given generous gifts (PSP's, etc) despite living 24/7 at the aijien.

I also saw the sexism first hand - the office secretaries were all women, the more janitorial/security people all men. The men did much less work for what I assume was much more pay, basically only doing the heavy lifting and leaving the vast majority of the child care, cleaning, cooking, and other assorted things to the women while they got drunk. Keep in mind this was in rural Kyushu though, so it may have been a bit worse than places such as Tokyo.

If anyone has any specific questions I can answer them, but my limited Japanese meant that I often failed in my attempts to learn more about the children's situation and the system as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Yeah, that sounds in a lot of ways identical to British panel quiz shows (which I adore).

And in America we just have lots of reality shows instead.

Nobody's broadcast TV is better than anybody else's, really.

It's pretty close, but honestly, Japanese variety shows are worse than reality shows. Umai~~~

What I found bizarre was the complete lack of sex on any of their shows/commercials, at least during the day time (can't speak for if it changes at night or on some pay or obscure channels).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Don't worry, they hate everyone to some extent or another

What would happen if a white westerner were to wander near them, would they scream at them and shift the rhetoric to hatin' on America or some other thing?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think so actually. They seem to be relatively with Westerners, since they aren't a regional threat to Japanese superiority. Also, they seem to be ok with Taiwanese, their only neighbors that that is the case for.

edit: any problems they have with the US government is attributed to Korean agents and/or propaganda. I am not even making this up.

So Taiwanese are "one of the good ones", as are white people. Never change, Japan :allears:.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wibbleman posted:

I am not really sure that's are fair statement (painting Japan with the same brush as the netouyo). The "netouyo" while saying hateful racist things and being total shitheels, the high estimates put them at around 300k total and likely a lot less, most of those parades are around 200-300 people. So in a country of 126 million, I would say around 99.5% of Japanese are fine with mostly everyone. Just compare them to the tea party/birthers and I guess that's a pretty close comparison. And the tea party holds a lot more political power in america right now.

I should have clarified, but "Never change japan" sounded better. I did of course mean the small minority of crazy nationalists - as a white dude who has been to Japan, I never met anyone who displayed any sort of negative feelings toward white westerners (aside from the general "ugh why don't you understand our language/ways" kind of typical frustration, shielded by politeness).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I doubt it'd go beyond Chapter 1: country X invented thing Y first, and the resulting screaming match.

Chapter 1: The entirely realistic founding of our nation by the not-legendary emperor X in territory Y in 4000 BC.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mac Akasaka for Emperor. Seriously, the day this guy doesn't do an election video for Tokyo will be a sad, smile-less day.

So many great gifs can be made from that video too.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the thing I'm hoping for in such a huge LDP victory is the inevitable in-fighting. Abe shows any cracks, and the different factions within the LDP will be at each other's throats, knowing their majority is pretty secure.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Has anyone actually successfully argued how they can immediately spot the differences between a Japanese and Korean person without it turning into a hyper racist rant?

Honestly, the easiest way to tell is subtle differences in their fashion, which you pick up on if you're around either for very long. :shrug:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

translation of character ishiba is standing in front of: fool

Baka mitai~

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for PM Mac Akasaka

EDIT: Oh no he got milkshake ducked

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rip shinzo, just couldn't stop spilling his guts

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the LDP to win re-election handily under a prime minister with 15% approval

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Pronounced "Abe", too, right

No, pronounced "Abe"

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

There's 3 by-elections today (Sunday). The LDP are only competing in Shimane's 1st district and it's a head-to-head matchup with a candidate from the Constitutional Democratic Party, the top opposition party. Shimane is a seat of LDP power, referred to as a 保守の王国 (hoshu no ôkoku conservative kindgom), so if they manage to lose there's an outside chance of Kishida resigning or other interesting things. I expect them to squeak it out and maybe a cabinet reshuffle if they do lose.

https://x.com/ElectsWorld/status/1784545320665305349

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

well poo poo, that's cool

Saw an exit poll that the Shimane election wasn't particularly close either - something like 60-40, but I can't seem to find any official numbers.