Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kenishi posted:

Not Mayor, Governor. So his role isn't as huge. Japan likes the scandals with under the table funds, its what caused a huge shake up in the election reporting system back in the early 90s.

Ain't that what dragged down Ozawa eventually as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

Right, I agree with that entirely (and actually wrote a paper last semester arguing essentially the same thing about Senkaku/Diaoyu being far too politically valuable for China or Japan to settle on). I was just responding to Lemmi's post about it having to do with the loyalty of Japanese politics and the interests of that very small niche group. I found that a little more difficult to reconcile so was asking if he could do so.

Japan basically has a legacy colonial relation with the Ryukyu islands that persists in how they treat Okinawa to this day.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sheep posted:

As with most things Japan it is generally up to the whims of whatever bureaucrat you're dealing with. Some are fine others not so much, but yes some things are just more difficult because you're obviously different.

also from what i understand alot of the social safety nets build off of the social networks that japanese government assumes to be pervasive. its why you never see any help for homeless people from the government, its always assumed they would move back in with their parents/grandparents/etc.

if youre connected to that social network then japan is pretty progressive in taking care of its citizens. if you are outside that then you are pretty drat hosed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
but seriously though all western reporting on japan is utterly worthless because it is filled with orientalism about the exotic asiatic race of japones"oh japan" gimmick reporting

Sheep posted:

Hint, it's not the young people that are frequenting the whorehouses and blowjob and titty-feeling bars.

declining degree of sex has to do with the fact there is no way for anyone to afford to have a family these days, and to a lesser extent a relationship

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I don't get it.
So Japan doesn't serve downloadable content (e.g., Steam) just like the States does... and what?

this thread has hit one of its many white nerds complaining about pointless poo poo derails

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think talking about video games when it comes to software is a bit of a red herring. Japan is probably "good" at video games because they have a legacy of it being a big thing for their industry. This would also explain why they are godawful at PC or genres that have little history in Japan.

also something something $100 for a new game something something

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sheep posted:

That's one way to hit the nail right on the loving head.

There's no English counterpart because most countries in the Anglosphere actually enforce their labor laws, which means that widespread violations like this just aren't a thing that can occur in the long term.

I mean, america is not nearly as bad as japan in this regard, but this is idealizing the US to a hilarious degree. there's blatant flaunting of labor laws in basically every unskilled position

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

If this is about votes, it's failing miserably. Abe's approval is dropping because of these bills

what are they going to do, vote for someone other than the LDP? Abe knows he's the only game in town so why give a gently caress about something as silly as the will of the electorate

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

And that's by choice and could be reversed whenever they want. Japan didn't choose to disarm. It's understandable given the circumstances at the time but things have changed.

It's definitely a thing for nationalists but I don't think you have to be a crazy right winger to see the reasoning.

uh I'm pretty sure that the japanese electorate overwhelmingly supports the pacifism clauses of their constitution. It's one of the biggest disconnects between voters and politicians in japan

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Japanese people support the law because it is the law. If the constitution said something else, people would support than instead.

I really think you don't nearly appreciate the lasting impact getting nuked has on japan's collective psyche, especially since it was during a war started by a militaristic regime

Why do you think the older folk are more opposed to the change

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the helpful links, the LGBT video for the YT channel was interesting.

One thing I've always been attracted to with regards to Japanese history (and this seems to be true for Chinese history as well but I know less about that) is the lack of stigma towards homosexuality. I read a book about homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan (which started my love affair with the Edo period) and it looks like a lot of the stuff I took for granted in terms of how gay people were treated in history is all thanks to show lovely the Abrahamic faiths were towards gay people and thus you see less of that in at leas some parts of Asia.

Of course this is about male homosexuality, women didn't have it any easier be it in terms of their sex lives or anything else than they did in"the West."

hate to break it to you but the Meiji period but a bit of a damper on that

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Alternatively, greatly ease immigration requirements. But I think the Communist Party has a better chance of beating the LDP than that coming to pass.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kenishi posted:

Well I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the problem of labor isn't a present issue, its something that will become considerably more noticeable in 2-3 decades. Issues with language barriers for instance may decrease in that time frame. There has already been some pushes in the government to try and improve the English level in Japan as a whole (I'm incredibly skeptical about the success of those at the moment). Most of these pushes though are really for the ramp up for the 2020 Olympics, but its easy to imagine the momentum from that will continue long after the Olympics. I don't expect Japan to ever be on par with say France or Germany in terms of English skill, but by time 2040 or 2050 rolls around, the language barrier may have vanished. Though, I guess its also possible half the jobs will be handled by robots or AI, so maybe its all a non-issue.

Robots ain't gonna replace nurses. Even if they somehow developed the capacity for such a role (lol) it'd be magnitudes more expensive than just using a hypothetical existing labor force that might exist nearby. Like maybe in a chain of islands southish and westish

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 4, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kenishi posted:

There are more jobs than just nurses out there and AI/Robots can realistically fill them. Delivery, warehousing, agriculture-anything, taxi services, retail/service jobs, freight services.

ok, i meant more along the lines of nursing home staff.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mystes posted:

I think this will likely run into problems where you might be able to somewhat reduce the requirements for unskilled labor by using machines to help move patients with limited mobility, etc., but the unskilled labor isn't the bottleneck in the first place.

Immigration is also an option, and Japan has a program where foreign workers can come and train to become caregivers, but they have to pass a test (in Japanese, written for native Japanese speakers) within I think two years or they have to leave. This is basically impossible if they aren't already fluent in Japanese so only a handful pass every year and the entire system is more or less pointless.

Immigration seems to be a hard sell to Japanese voters in the first place, and for nursing homes the language barrier is actually a legitimate concern because the staff need to be able to communicate with the people in the nursing homes. In other fields it might be practical for companies to employ lots of foreign workers very quickly if the need emerged and the laws were changed appropriately. Unfortunately, caregiving, despite otherwise being the obvious target for foreign workers, is a situation where this might not be possible. Even if Japan starts seriously teaching kids English, that isn't going to help the baby boom generation.

I'm not sure of how the lack of English-speaking is an issue in this case but otherwise this feels pretty spot on.

ocrumsprug posted:

To be honest, I expect that I will be cared for by Filipino nurses when I end up in palliative care and their native fluency would not be important. However glorious Nippon is weird af about their language being spoken by non-Japanese. My partner has been in Canada for 20 years, but if she hears someone non-native speaking Japanese she starts to complain about it.

"Quit complaining about the steward telling you the flight will be 9 hours. " - me

anecdotal as gently caress but I recall some blog or something saying it's ideal to aim to be 30% japanese, so that everyone's eyes will bug out when you speak conversational japanese but they don't try to incorporate you into the Glorious Nippon hundred-thousand strong Spirit or whatever it's called.

if you try to marry into a family you're 100% turbofucked though

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 4, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Why is Shinzo Abe still the Prime Minister after 5 years straight?

because Ozawa was just that lovely

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
MacArthur almost 100% kept the emperor because he wanted a monarch in his pocket.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Man how much longer can Shinzo Abe keep being PM for?

3 years or so, I think

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Gonna be Kishida while LDP is the top party. Figuring that Koike's new regional party does clean up in the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly election, I have to imagine they springboard to some sort of national scale thing. 国民ファースト党? I think Koike's got an axe to grind with the LDP and for mainline LDPers the feeling is mutual, so I think reconciliation and merger is a long ways off at best. I think we could be seeing the beginning of a wave that wipes out the LDP. Though the thought of political parties getting replaced and destroyed makes me giddy so I'm probably wrong.

geez. careful that optimism doesn't blind you.

what the hell would japanese politics without the LDP even look like? :ussr::hf::japan:?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, I think people are overcompensating for Western media sensationalism about Japan coverage by going the other extreme.
Anyone's who lived in Japan and dated Japanese women has probably seen how poorly Japanese youth handle relationships or sexual intimacy.

the south

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I mean liberal in the beyond-left-and-right Radical Centrist sense, not the left-liberal/social democratic sense. Macron actually is a good comparison probably

Also, look who's back!

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/Policy-Politics/Japan-opposition-Democratic-Party-eyes-merging-with-Liberals

jesus christ. this is some that-which-is-not-dead-may-eternal-lie poo poo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I know managed expectations because Japan but this seems like it may finally kill off Aso, if not Abe himself

might as well wish for Ozawa to leave as well if you want to imagine a world not in our hell timeline

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the anime thread, but from what understand, anime in Japan used to be relatively "normal" back in the 80s through the early 2000s,
lol, nope

quote:

but due to the economy crashing things changed.

eh, less so that and more just because otaku buy dvds/bluray like crazy

quote:

The anime/manga market began focusing on hyper specific niche groups in order to get guaranteed ROI rather than risking something to appeal to everyone. As a result most anime properties are super niche, and are no more popular in their home country than random Adult Swim shows in America. Is this accurate?

anime has wide appeal but certain genres are aimed at certain demographics. the weird rear end business practices are less due to anime and moreso due to the fact that businesses in Japan are INSANELY risk-averse and conservative. like they literally decide how to price their media by how much it cost to make divided by how many people they expect to buy it. i vaguely recall that goon localization company (the ones that localized recettear) having problems trying to get the japanese devs to price things like a steam title instead of 80$ each.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why even go to college of you are going to be a housewife?

frankly japan's "college" "experience" is ideally suited to a post-graduate's future of using zero of the skills they were educated in.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Education is a good thing even if you never need to use what you learn

well you're guaranteed to have nothing to use after college in japan!

(Japan's colleges are really, really, REALLY loving bad)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I mean, japan is staggeringly anti-democratic and would seem prime for a populist reformer along the lines of andrew jackson. how such a figure could emerge in a one-party state is another matter

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wait is the cdp different from the zombified hulk of Ozawa

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

The one thing I like about USA and Western Europe is that they are so much more readily to admit their war crimes, at least relatively to other countries.
What the gently caress are you talking about

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC doesn't a majority of the Japanese public and government severely downplay or not even acknowledge their war crimes during WWII?

For real, dawg, do you have even the slightest notion of the horrors the us has let loose in the last 100 years?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
rebel ecks punk you are dumb; do not stop posting

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I attended public schools in Massachusetts (which to be fair are the undisputed best in the country) and while the term genocide was generally not used, the facts and dimensions of Native American subjugation were very thoroughly taught at every level of schooling.

I suspect much of the reason the word “genocide” is rarely used in public schooling with reference to acts other than the Holocaust is the concerted campaign by zionists to keep it that way, which as a Jew whose family was decimated by it, I find especially shameful

I mean, even if the magnitude of the crimes as they occurred in the past are properly taught, you drat well better believe nary a peep is taught about the ongoing genocide in contemporary times

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OhFunny posted:

https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2019/12/24/Japans-population-falls-by-500000-amid-low-births-aging-society/9691577222434/

Japan's population decline topped 500,000 this year as deaths rose to 1.4 million and births fell under 900,000.

...any chance immigration offset this at all?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
a couple days old, and a bit unfortunate due to it being somewhat western-takes-on-japan (the author is an emigrant from japan), but god drat do i not like being able to see my future by looking at the past 20 years of japan :smith:

https://twitter.com/BW/status/1313151918760435712

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1372016586895200260

im pretty damned skeptical it will mean anything since boy oh boy does japan LOVE to ignore what their courts say, but it beats the alternative i guess!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought the reason was because they wanted to keep a unifying symbol around and so they made sure no one spoke a word about him during the war crimes tribunals

im pretty sure the reason was macarthur wanted to have an emperor under his thumb

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

ldp has been in coalition with soka gakkai's political party, komeito, for like forever now. the extreme right-wing, and especially their own lay buddhist organizations, hate sgi and want ldp to end the coalition. doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to be part of the motive

Soka gakkai is basically Japanese Jehovah's witnesses, and it's founder and head is insanely loving abusive

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1564819873141760000

direct action gets the goods

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Isn't white rice awful in terms of nutrition for children?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ah good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lammasu posted:

First off, I admire the balls of someone in China having a podcast. Also, I doubt America cares enough about Japan monetary policy to topple a government. As long as Nippon keeps the Godzilla movies and anime tiddies coming I think we are cool.

Uh are you unfamiliar with the event known as the lost decade?