Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
been looking for an Adam Curtis style Political Documentary on Japan,

this is the closest ive been able to find

https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/1001880573714010112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LyonsLions posted:

If there’s one thing the world definitely needs more of, it’s the foreigner/white guy perspective on the inscrutable Orient.

nice av/post combo :thumbsup:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

captkirk posted:

Yes, because if a party you don't like stays in power it's because the nation isn't into all this enlightened Western democracy stuff. Maybe someday the poor savages while realize what they're missing.

the correct thing to do is let [Insert Reactionary CIA-Funded Ghoul] do whats best to bring Economic Equality to the masses! :shepface:

NOTE: This Something Awful forums user (previously known as "The Blackest Goon") is a Person of Color who chose the current iteration of his username ironically after years of having his remaining brain cells all but fried after monitoring the rise of online reactionary ideologies for a decade.

if this sounds like a flimsy excuse, you are wrong

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
white internet nerds cant help themselves but to either demonize or infantilize Asian Culture

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's because the LDP has been in power for about 54 out of the last 60 years. That's probably more that Japan is allergic to anyone that isn't the LPD and/or their coalition. I can't speak to how they maintain this dominance in Japanese politics, but they do

yeah me neither:iiam:

edit:

quote:

M
3 weeks ago
Saved Japan from experiencing wokeness.

quote:

DarkAngelusV
2 months ago
When a commie is killed, a kitten angel in heaven gets its wings

quote:

Humble Merchant
2 months ago
Communists go straight to hell since they don't believe in God

i dunno what the gently caress these comments are on about i just want this country to keep making my manchild cartoons that i dont pay for either way because i pirate the poo poo out of them on a russian website that is sure to give my computer cancer

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

The LDP winning always had more to do with the opposition being deeply unappealing than with CIA dirtry tricks no matter how badly the foreign expat and journalist corps want to believe otherwise. In the immediate postwar the Italian Communists nearly got an actual majority in 1947 and probably was actually kept out by the CIA, the JSP meanwhile never cracked a third of the vote for basically non-dirty-tricks reasons. (Actually it got a cool 26% of the vote going into its brief postwar government, then collapsed and got 33% in 1960, with a long, slow decline afterward.) American support helped to consolidate the LDP but there was never more than a small chance of a Marxist sweep into power, at least unless the occupying power just forced it through without regard to public support. Dower is just wrong on this, sorry.

Also, if the people criticizing the Japanese system had any ideas for an alternative beyond 1997-vintage shock therapy neoliberalism of liquidating Japan Inc, stripping the assets and dumping the workforce onto unemployment, along with drowning the hated bureaucracy in the bathtub, they’d be easier to take seriously, but having followed this discourse for years, they really, truly don’t

this entire post seems like a trap ngl :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sauzer posted:

I don't think actual ultra-uyoku types would be commenting in English

the people who fund them often do

https://twitter.com/mnswpr/status/1256217161598668802

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyoku_dantai

quote:

Philosophies and activities
Uyoku dantai are well known for their highly visible propaganda vehicles, known as gaisensha (街宣車) – converted vans, trucks and buses fitted with loudspeakers and prominently marked with the name of the group and propaganda slogans. The vehicles are usually black, khaki or olive drab, and are decorated with the Imperial Seal, the flag of Japan and the Japanese military flag. They are primarily used to stage protests outside organizations such as the Chinese, Korean or Russian embassies, Chongryon facilities and media organizations, where propaganda (both taped and live) is broadcast through their loudspeakers. They can sometimes be seen driving around cities or parked in busy shopping areas, broadcasting propaganda, military music or Kimigayo, the national anthem. The Great Japan Patriots, supportive of the US-Japan-South Korea alliance against China and North Korea and against communism as a whole, would always have the US national flag flying side by side with the Japanese flag in the vehicles and US military marches played alongside their Japanese counterparts.

Political beliefs differ between the groups but the three philosophies they are often said to hold in common are the advocation of kokutai-Goji (retaining the fundamental character of the nation), hostility towards communism and Marxism and hostility against the Japan Teachers Union (which opposes the display of Japanese national symbols and the performance of the national anthem). Traditionally, they viewed the Soviet Union, China, and North Korea with hostility over issues such as communism, the Senkaku (Diaoyu) Islands and the Kurile Islands.

Most, but not all, seek to justify Japan's role in the Second World War to varying degrees, deny the war crimes committed by the military during the pre-1945 Shōwa period and are critical of what they see as "self-hate" bias in post-war historical education. Thus, they do not recognize the legality of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East or other allied tribunals; consider the war-criminals, enshrined in the Yasukuni Shrine as "Martyrs of Shōwa" (昭和殉難者 Shōwa junnansha); or support the censorship of history textbooks or historical negationism.[4]

It is difficult to arrest uyoku dantai members because freedom of ideology is protected by the Constitution of Japan. This is one of the reasons why Yakuza groups use uyoku dantai as camouflage.[5][6][7]

im sure they just really really love freedom as much as we do!:thunk:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 29, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

there's plenty of your typical single-party-state corruption around, but i think that's more effect than cause. it's fun to talk about organized crime and/or the CIA being puppet masters and i'm sure the US has attempted fuckery, but it's just fodder for problematic but strangely enjoyable pulp novels and "non-fiction". japan would have amended its constitution to allow for a military if it really were just a CIA puppet state.

ok i think i see whats going on here itt and to be perfectly honest im a bit disgusted but not surprised

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol7no3/html/v07i3a01p_0001.htm

https://asiatimes.com/2020/08/inside-story-of-us-black-ops-in-post-war-japan/

Todama dossier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_spies,_1930%E2%80%9345

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/09/world/cia-spent-millions-to-support-japanese-right-in-50-s-and-60-s.html

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

yes, CIA did fuckery in japan. that alone does not explain why the LDP remains in power. that constitutional revision to allow a military despite the US's consistent desire for Japan to assist with imperialism is a clear example of the limits of US interference in the 70s onward. i think the open, non-blops fuckery of letting war criminals back into government in the 50s had a much larger influence on the system that developed than any off-the-books actions.

its almost like its all performative and doesn't actually matter except to only Centrist wieirdos and chuds obsessed with national autonomy!

same reason Mexico is almost a One-Party-Controlled country

http://www.campdenfb.com/article/japanese-zaibatsu

the article in the previous post i literally just posted that you couldn't be bothered to read posted:

The C.I.A. gave money to the Liberal Democratic Party and its members

im going to be blunt with you: Theocratic Monarchies, Far-Right crank groups and Big Business often make for strange bedfellows when it comes to brutalizing Unions, Labor Rights and anything even remotely resembling a Welfare State

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 29, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i for one hope the people who make my manchild cartoons get an actual living wage, medicare and time off to spend with their families :unsmith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 29, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
yes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

All the people who formed the LDP just came out of nowhere and definitely weren't elites and politicians from before WWII. It's not like the LDP's current leadership is composed of the children and grandchildren of said politicians and elites from before WWII. that would be ridiculous, it's obviously the work of the dark puppet masters in the CIA who can't even kill a guy who lives 90 miles away from the US.

you...

you do realize this is what i was saying right?..

Race Realists posted:

same reason Mexico is almost a One-Party-Controlled country
http://www.campdenfb.com/article/japanese-zaibatsu
im going to be blunt with you: Theocratic Monarchies, Far-Right crank groups and Big Business often make for strange bedfellows when it comes to brutalizing Unions, Labor Rights and anything even remotely resembling a Welfare State

but im sure douglas mcarthur (a man known for nearly killing Labor Strike protesters in the US) was very fair and kind to the plight of the japanese poors

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i briefly mentioned Mexico in the last post because its actually hilarious and depressing how similar the PRI and LDP are in terms of austerity

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Literally nobody is doing this. A claim was made (via a tweet quote lol) that implied that Japanese ultra-nationalism was just a CIA op, which is utterly laughable. CIA absolutely was (and almost certainly to this day is, if they bother) happy to provide backing to the Japanese right-wing, but to make the *incredibly racist* assertion that any Japanese nationalism has to be spurred on by the CIA to even exist is mindblowingly stupid tankie bullshit. This is actually how the dynamics of Japanese nationalism is being portrayed, here, in this thread, between posts that are literally just multiple links to wikipedia (lol) about basic concepts of Japanese politics that every other poster here is aware of.

i was not insinuating this. Stop.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

You're just exposing your lack of understanding of the dynamics of Japanese politics and the military realities in Japan. There's always a risk of serious backlash because the Japanese populace at large has a major case of heiwa boke, and the standards to amend the constitution are quite high and would risk expending too much political capital. And why should they push it too hard? Japan has gone from having nothing more than a police force armed with US military hand-me-downs to some of the best funded and arguably most capable military forces *on the entire planet*, including foreign deployments, overseas military bases, and aircraft carriers with what's likely going to be the second largest contingent of F-35s in the world, after the US. All without amending Article 9; they're getting what they want already with minimal political risk. All you need to do is anchor the conversation with discussion of amending Article 9; if it goes through great, if it doesn't then just arm up anyway and everyone goes "well they didn't amend Article 9 so it's okay" while in the meantime you've got one of the most well armed militaries in the world.

this is extremely telling.

there's always been an anti-chinese sentiment (certainly not all, just the older Boomer types) within Japan (for obvious historical reasons), a country that quickly became a US Satellite State after WWII and during the Cold War

there's always been an anti-chinese sentiment in the United States (especially in regards to Foreign Policy), and its brand of anti-communism contains elements of this.

Japan is a US Satellite State with several US Military Bases.:thunk:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 29, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

If everyone in a thread keeps responding to your posts as if they mean something entirely different than what you intended, then maybe you're the one with the communication problems, rather than everyone else.

you mean the guy who gets a hard-on defending Japanese NeoConservatism and the other deliberately arguing in Bad Faith?

that's the hill I'm dying on. I don't care if I get infracted. no one has the right to accuse me of defending genocide and they have another thing coming if they think I'm not going to respond.

a revived left won't magically take away your cartoons

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Spacewolf posted:

This is the weirdest tweet for a profile I've seen in a while. "Suga is iron-willed. Except pancakes."

https://twitter.com/NAR/status/1300583194044043264

Yoshihide Suge Just Wants To Live A Quiet Life

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/sans__sens/status/1301090673521618946

jacobin has some informative articles on Japanese politics

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sauzer posted:

He couldn't make it two paragraphs without talking about the Yakuza

because it's almost like this is a very serious, very real, frightening concept? dude literally evicted elderly people using an underworld proxy corporation. I would think that would be noteworthy

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Adelstein probably thinks Lowtax has Yakuza connections.

depends on whether or not you think they get any proceeds on video game sales:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Someone ITT already blamed Ukraine.

this very same thread unironically thought the Red Army were anything other than a Cold War era boogieman and outright deny the influence of the yakuza/CIA in contemporary Japanese politics so it checks out!:thumbsup:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is this thread dead or a new one? It's just weird how the thread to the politics of an entire nation just suddenly stopped around September

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

harperdc posted:

I mean, they apparently targeted getting 30 billion yen / $210 mil USD per year in donations from Japan alone, and considering how that money is made, yes, that seems pretty bad.

quote:

... He encountered many cases where second-generation followers faced issues of parents creating debt with credit cards under their children's names, becoming unable to confront relatives as their parents have borrowed excessive amounts of money, and shouldering debts on behalf of parents.

Literally Every Black Person In America posted:

first time?:v:

edit:

i was gonna make a SmashBros joke with that guy's surname being Sakurai and all but nahhh

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Weatherman posted:

It's funny how all these companies, who have profited off the use of Johnny's playthings for decades despite the allegations being brought up in 1999 and (at least in part) vindicated by the courts, are just now discovering their morality and declaring how they can't possibly deal with a company that tolerates sexual abuse. Quelle surprise. I'm sure they'll all be lining up to return some of the profits they made to Kitagawa's victims.

let's not get crazy now