Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

A sexy submarine posted:

Here's a cool article from Mike Guest about 'microagressions':
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/language/T120606001544.htm

quote:

Other loaded questions like, "Why did you come to Japan?" or "Isn't Japanese difficult?" would be more welcome if rendered as "What brought you to Japan?" or "How's your Japanese coming?" respectively.

While I get and generally agree with the point that things like this aren't necessarily intended, consciously or not, to offend, the author kind of misses the obvious explanation for why they happen. I don't think it's people not considering whether their phrasing will offend, it's that they either don't know any other way to say it, or are just going for the easiest and (for them) most natural way to say it.

I've recently heard someone in an unrelated context deliberately misconstrue a situation like this for rhetorical convenience, and it really gets under my skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's interesting. I was just in Japan for the first time and was struck how individual everyone seems compared with Korea, but that kind of sexism is different. Korea is sexist as hell too, but all my Korean friends (women) think it's terrible and needs to change. The conformism keeps them from doing anything active about it, though. And some of them end up just going with what Korean society expects even though they hate every bit of it. Others have stopped associating with Korean men entirely and only hang out with western guys since they get treated so much better.

Asia badly needs feminism.

I interviewed for a recruiter position with a headhunter in Japan last year. The CEO, who interviewed me, was an American, but he'd been in Japan for about 20 years, IIRC. His attitude was...startling.

While describing what the company does he said that they look for Japanese men to fill positions in foreign companies and such and such and whatever. There was emphasis on the the "men." I asked him if they recruited Japanese women as well, and I got a 5 minute lecture on how Japanese women are not suited for leadership roles and that they don't want to devote themselves to careers, so they don't even bother looking at women.

I stopped giving a poo poo about that point, and left a pretty bad impression, but not as bad as the one he left on me. Fucker would spend his entire career in court in the US.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Samurai Sanders posted:

A new Japanese student came to my class on the first day wearing a six pointed star necklace, and against my better judgement I asked if she was Jewish. Of course not. After that she didn't wear it anymore, I probably made her feel self-conscious about it for no good reason.

Get her an 8 pointed Chaos Undivided star.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Zo posted:

You can definitely and gently caress it up by overproducing, which will cool off the local area (i.e. the effective area of the plant). It will eventually regenerate - this is the "renewable" part - but your plant might be unprofitable for a while. This is mostly just economic impact on the plant itself.

Environmental-wise my understanding was that some plant types evaporate away a shitload of water which must be replenished with external sources. This would obviously affect the mineral composition of their precious onsen water, but I believe there are also plant types which do not emit any vapour. Not sure what the tradeoffs are though.

Don't forget thermal pollution of waterways, if there is any warm-water outflow from the plant.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

pentyne posted:

Same day the US government shuts down?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/abe-proceeds-with-japan-s-first-sales-tax-increase-since-1997.html

Things are happening in Japan, but from that last comment I can't actually tell if the IMF wants Japan to succeed or collapse entirely and let them come in to fix the mess.

Why sales tax and not income tax or something else progressive?

Is Japan in a wave of "gently caress the poor" right now, too?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wibbleman posted:

Just compare them to the tea party/birthers and I guess that's a pretty close comparison. And the tea party holds a lot more political power in america right now.

In terms of rhetorical incoherence, it's a perfect comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Google has a verb form in Japanese though (ググる) but Yahoo doesn't, as far as I know.

Wait, it's an actual -る verb? Not する?  So you can say "ググった?"