Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Zen Guy posted:

In League of Legends, Darius gets a pentakill at 2:30 thanks to a teleport glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSL_62tNqPU

In case anyone is wondering, this is done via a combination of 3 things, one of which has since been fixed:

1. Darius (the champion in question) has a move where he throws his axe forward and pulls it back - anyone hit gets pulled towards him. There's a very slight delay between the spellcast beginning and the pull occuring.

2. He's taken a summoner spell called Teleport. This lets him teleport to any friendly unit on the map after a short delay (he's placed a ward at spawn to teleport to). Importantly - and this is the part they had to patch - while normally doing anything during the delay before teleporting stops it, there was a very small point in time at the end of the teleport animation where you could cast a spell but the teleport still goes off.

3. To prevent spawn camping, the spawn has two indestructible turrets nearby that fire horrible death rays.

So the sequence of events is something like: Darius begins casting teleport -> Darius casts his pull move at the exact moment before the teleport goes off -> Teleport goes off, returning him to spawn by the death-ray turrets -> his pull finishes but shits a brick and decides to send the enemy team on a merry flight to his current location (back at his spawn) -> death rays kill everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ras Shamra posted:

I recently had this hilariously/depressingly absurd example of emergent behavior. I just started, so I don't know if this doesn't even register with the old salts.

code:
:barf:

Lookit that yak puke! :barf:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

My favorite part was the bit where the boost was set so high that every time the dude hit it his speed overflowed and he flew backwards.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Huh, I didn't know they ported the hallucinogenic gas grenade from TFC into BF4.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Blizzard then decided to intentionally replicate it in the lead-up for WoW's second expansion, and took it a step further: anyone who was infected and didn't get cured of it would die, and come back as a zombie that could hit anyone else with the plague.

Zombies were also members of a fake third faction, so players on both sides could talk to each other while anyone else only heard gibberish (moaning, ellipsis, and "brains") and cooperate to dick people over.

Unfortunately people whined about it a lot because it got in the way of them playing virtual commodities broker at the auction houses and nothing nearly that cool has happened since. :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

There's a citybuilder game in pre-alpha called Clockwork Empires. It's about steampunk victorians building cities and then getting eaten by cthonic horrors, although right now it's more like getting eaten by horrible gamebreaking bugs because it's an alpha.

Sometimes though, the bugs produce brand new, never-before-seen cthonic horrors, like this fishman who decided he didn't need legs or a neck and is doing some kind of weird version of the thriller dance:

There's an NDA but I got permission to post this

President Ark
May 16, 2010

It also helps that early consoles really didn't have any sanity checking. More recent consoles have some stuff that keeps an eye on everything and goes "Woah, hey, what the gently caress is going on here, this poo poo ain't right" and either backs out or force-ends (crashes) the program if it starts doing really wacky poo poo. But because early consoles had so little memory as ToxicSlurpee says, they couldn't affort to have that sort of sanity checking in place so if you could figure out how to crash them just so they basically had to accept whatever happened after that and couldn't say "This poo poo ain't right."

This was especially prevalent in the Pokemon games because on top of being on the Gameboy (which was extremely limited in terms of memory), they also had a shitload of stuff going on at once and things that needed to be loaded into memory at once - the "you have to manually switch PC boxes when one fills up" thing wasn't just bad UI design, it literally had to be done like that because having free access to all the boxes all the time was too much for the gameboy. So they have a lot of weird poo poo going on in order to make sure that it can all run, and as a result are a lot more vulnerable to things happening in even slightly the wrong order, and then there's no sanity checking so you wind up with poo poo like item duping and missingno and rewriting the game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

And to answer an earlier question that was kind of touched on but not really clearly, the total control type of glitch actually does exist in post-16-bit, they just don't use it to play games. Any time you see a console can be soft modded, it's using the same kind of takeover from software on that console. Wii uses a bug in the message board, PSP used a bug in the image viewer or games like Lumines, Xbox had a few games like Splinter Cell, and I'm sure ones were found for 360 and ps3 but I don't remember specifics. In those instances, the bugs are triggered using specifically-corrupted save data to trick the games into doing whatever, rather than relying on f direct player inputs

The Wii actually had one of these pretty much at launch, there was a bug in Twilight Princess that involved doing some convoluted poo poo in the tutorial area that let you execute arbitrary code on the console.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

What game is this?

Looks like golf, but he's got a way to go. His swing's all wrong.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Rectus posted:

In an even more weird design decision, the cart is a physics object all the time, just restricted to a path. So unless the level designer is really careful, it can get completely stuck on level geometry.

It's also possible - under rare circumstances - for a large explosion or something right after the cart starts dropping into the hole but before it actually hits the explosion trigger point to knock the cart away, at which point it becomes a contest for both teams to try to physics it back into/away from the hole.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Huszsersvn posted:

I think the second one is a sigil that summons some kind of roadworks demon.

quote:

Many phenomena - wars, plagues, sudden audits - have been advanced as evidence
for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of Man, but whenever students of
demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to
be among the top contenders for exhibit A.

In fact, very few people on the face of the planet know that the very shape
of the M25 forms the sigil *odegra* in the language of the Black Priesthood
of Ancient Mu, and means 'Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds'.

From Good omens, by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yeah, the issue was that when BK came out the N64 took about 30 seconds to clear out the part of its memory Stop n Swop was planning on using, whereas once BT came out the new models were doing it in about a tenth of that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish I was one of those wizards that could tell the difference between 100 and 200 frames per second

i'm pretty sure humans are incapable of seeing any noticeable difference above ~90fps, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

I gave one of the companions in Fallout 4, Ken Valentine, a Fat Man. Ken proceeded to disappear from my side when I entered a building that happened to be full of enemies. Ken was loose in the building somewhere responding to the enemies threats.

Ready to fire upon them with miniature nukes.

I pretty much turned the game into a survival horror game.

I have no idea why you would ever give a follower that thing in this game, you're basically asking to be atomized the picosecond a mole rat pops out of the ground next to you.

... actually, carry on.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I think the closest thing I've seen to "gamebreaking" come out of Fallout 4 is that there's a really strong gun you can see in a locked case in the vault you start the game in and it needs at least 2 points in lockpicking to access, except the dog companion you get ~10 minutes later has the ability to fetch items and is capable of grabbing the gun from the case, but even then that's less "completely break the game to your whims" and more "have a really powerful gun way earlier than you normally would"

I'm pretty sure that the game was designed with weird poo poo in mind, given that there's a super mutant whose sole purpose is to run up to you and football spike a mininuke on your face.

President Ark has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

CJacobs posted:

if you don't want bugs, code your game competently and there won't be any when it's time for release. exactly how many times to developers have to do the exact same thing before they learn?

you've never done any computer programming, have you