Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stingwing posted:

I see that video games are ~serious business~ itt

An exceptionally bad first post in this thread, mmm.

Triarii posted:

As God is my witness, he is broken in half

Imagine just minding your own business and getting chokeslammed by a lovely sedan so hard you just explode into a Source engine era bloodsplat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

Eternal Darkness could do a dead-on impression of a CRT losing power, but that hasn’t really aged well

I remember reports of when Nintendo was certing the game and seeing the fake memory card corruption thing and being like "Why is this funny?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1346802566332485633

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtVk8OH9nIg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/FrancescoDonald/status/1184116997522644994

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neito posted:

VR in non-made-for-VR games is always a weird idea. Wasn't there a fallout where you could make it past a 100 Lockpick door by leaning forward?

FO4VR let you grab the Cryolator at the start of the game by reaching your hands through the glass

Skyrim VR you can adjust your headset position so it's up quite high, then put it on the ground and just, access shopkeeper inventories from their stashes under the level

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

low key sex master posted:

In the Chrono Trigger developer ending this happens too. You talk to an NPC and they're like "thanks for playing!" And the screen goes black for five seconds. Then it comes back and he's like "haha just kidding!"

Made me so mad as a kid because I hadn't gone through that whole ending yet when I reached that dude

There's another one in the monster village but I can't quite remember how it goes and trying to find it just brings up people with fake DS carts hitting the copy protection blocks.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not that it would have been a frequent problem, but I believe that X-Men game was also unbeatable on the Sega Nomad, due to it lacking a soft reset option.

I don't think it works on the Genesis 3 either because it "properly" clears RAM on reset

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Seemingly a common one!

https://twitter.com/torrik0/status/1458962597508747264?s=21

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't they let some mobile game company do the remasters?

In so far as they're the group who ported the games to mobile platforms, yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bonus, he can no longer start the game

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1459774990677651459

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Its probably because they are PS2 native source repositories, so they were originally written and designed for Sony's Emotion Engine processor which was its own whole architecture.

Xboxes always been x86-stuff so porting stuff from and to them from PC is no-brainer.

These Definitive Edition (lol) ports are based on the Android/iOS ports that the same group already did, which didn't have uh, literally any of these issues. They weren't great ports (especially compared to re3/vc) but they weren't this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Devor posted:

Someone post that story of the engineer for a game (Sonic maybe?) where the error handling screen pretended to be a secret cheat screen, so if there was a bug during QA it would still get passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZs2HUW9tDA

The Chris Houlihan room in LTTP is also an error handler of sorts

kirbysuperstar has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Dec 14, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Similarly different, I always liked the I'M FREE!!!! crash when a moving block hits map boundaries in Rise of the Triad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lhkvs3kZQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

What was the game that named its exe the same as some critical file, so uninstalling would brick your pc?

One of the big EVE updates had a file named boot.ini and it wasn't particularly sane about checking if it was it's own one or uh..the one that NT-kernel Windows used.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

moonmazed posted:

grass assassin

saturday

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

If I had to guess, something fucky about LODs?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

That’s been true ever since Demon’s Souls, by now everyone’s used to having to find a safe corner to do inventory or menu stuff

DeS Remake had a photo mode that paused!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I remember that story! It was extremely funny

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember someone on this forum saying he was a coder on the original Madden for the NES and he still gets checks because they keep using enough of his legacy code to qualify for residuals.

PS1 (madden started in the SNES/SMD era)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Did the person glitch out of bounds to see this or is this someone being surprised that devs use workarounds to do things

I'm pretty sure they're a/the developer working on whatever game that was, chief

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

Gold/Silver were also on the GB and managed to do quite a bit more, so it's not that. It's more that RBY were huge, new projects.

Well G/S had the added benefit of Iwata's blessed code fingers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Last Guardian was a functional game and Trico doing weird animal things was very rarely a detriment unlike the fox box

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They're just reloading the executable, which a bunch of Xbox and PS2 games also did to switch to online modes for games too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh good, skate plinko

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

help them

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/118400991417729027/1011983497746980894/tank.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQwvqka3_NE

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Not that I doubt a bunch of these glitches happen on actual hardware but yeah there does seem to be a lot coming from obvious emulator screenshots just like with the Switch version of Sonic Colours Ultimate

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Discussion in a games thread said it probably was related to not using an SDD, so I have moved it onto one, somewhat sadly.

Yeah that's definitely stuff just not loading in time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Upsidads posted:

Let def jam by the cool devs come back to def jam or wrestling

AKI now make Style Savvy, which rules

IUG posted:

I imagine those games have to be like Madden. They’re not making the game anew each year. The code based it’s on must be nearly two decades old in parts.

Not anymore - they took that year off for the last of the huge technical debt of the Yukes engine to be removed and it's entirely Visual Concepts now. Supposedly 2k23 is actually approaching a good game, but I'm wary of that statement. It'll be interesting to see how Yukes' AEW game turns out when it finally hits because they've been touting a fresh start and an animation engine that they pitched to 2k and :vince: but were told "no". It also seems to be aiming closer to the N64 AKI WWE games so, yeah, who knows.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

We reached that point with Daggerfall man

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/BakesTristan/status/1653905628698652672

https://twitter.com/I_j0066/status/1654004275834679296

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

incredible. iirc YGO Forbidden Memories on the PSX also has a few fun instances of ignoring the rules (as much as they existed at the time), including the CPU just manifesting whatever card it feels like playing into its hand; things like decks or shuffling are mere trivialities

IIRC CPU decks in FM are constructed on the start of the match from a pool unique to that character with percentage chances for cards.

Also that game's final boss rush is six loving back to back fights and if you lose a single one you have to try from the first one again and the third of them almost always opens with Gate Guardian or Meteor Black Dragon and more often than not has Megamorph also

Just an absolutely hateful game even among the "making up the rules because the OCG wasn't a thing yet" games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Philippe posted:

They made the game in 18 months. It's impressive that it doesn't fail more.

Really it has everything going against it: every fallout game is buggy, every Obsidian game is buggy, every Bethsoft published game is buggy (or was at the time), Gamebryo is buggy, the 18 months dev time..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

By the Oblivion era, the only part of gamebryo they were still using was the renderer. The NPC jank is almost entirely bethsoft code.

Your point stands, I'm just saying.

Right, it's always hard for me to tell where the line between netimmerse/gamebryo ends and 'creation engine' begins

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DMorbid posted:

Skyrim is just as busted on the PS3. As I understand it, your save files get more and more bloated as you play, until the game becomes practically (or literally) unplayable.

For a while the PS3 version wasn't going to get the DLC. The PS3 had 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of VRAM while the 360 had unified memory that devs could allot as they pleased, and that was the main difference between stuff like Skyrim and New Vegas on the two when it came to "oh gently caress we're out of memory" situations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

coldpudding posted:

The disappearing child reminds me of the wedding glitch where at the very moment the ceremony is complete your spouse will sprint for the door and if you don't catch them and talk to them before they go outside they will disappear so hard even console commands won't find them.

poor darkeethus, thought of vinesauce vinny and fled for his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

BG3 had release bugs, but we're not talking CP2077 level, or Bethesda game level. We're talking minor stuff like "one suit of armor isn't properly rigged for conversation animations" and "one mis-set flag means one companion will constantly appear to have new dialogue when he doesn't." In 140 hours of gameplay starting on release day I've yet to experience a single crash or gamebreaking bug. The stuff I've experienced breaking is things you should expect to break things like, for instance, if you murder certain NPC's on sight the scripting needs a bit to catch up with what's going on, and if you rapidly skip through dialogue in scenes then sometimes the effects/animations have a bit of trouble catching up.

A party member tried to kill me and then the scene just kinda stopped and the game couldn't decide if she was dead or not so she'd be at camp, but with no tent, and I could ask her to join and she'd say "yep" and then..wouldn't. She disappeared for good when act 2 started but the journal still says like "we should talk to her about the creche".

As far as I can tell this wasn't fixed in the gigantic patch that came out this morning but I've already made peace with the fact that she's uh, not in my game for more than like two hours I guess.