Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I am playing the guitar poorly because that is what Jack White does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hel posted:

The problem with "immersive sim" as a genre is that a lot of people are using it as a "prestige" thing. Sure the Action-RPG sub genre from the System Shock/ Deus Ex linage could probably use a name , but a lot of people are using it for a wide set of game genres with the qualifier being games they like and "respect". Thief and Splinter Cell(especially Chaos Theory) are just normal stealth games but they keep getting labelled Immersive Sim, likewise Skyrim(Morrowind might get it though) and a lot of ca 2000's FPSs are much closer to the design ethos of System Shock and Deus Ex but don't get that label, because they suck/ aren't regarded as highly.

You could also pretty comfortably call Cyberpunk 2077 an imsim (there are systems that interact in unexpected ways, you're encouraged to solve problems in various ways including sneaking, it's possible to play nonlethally, there's hacking, etc).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dialhforhero posted:

Pretty Sure Subnautica is an immersive sim :dadjoke:

More of an immersive swim.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I remember when Zelda was about a person who dressed like a lady and made me feel funny

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Terrible joke

Philippe has a new favorite as of 13:35 on May 24, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's fair. I'll adjust.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They made the game in 18 months. It's impressive that it doesn't fail more.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah I thought TOW was fine. Once I had tempered my expectations, I had a great time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is he deadly? Listen, chum! He's got radioactive cum.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Well maybe they should try releasing games that work. Have they tried that? No? Weird. I think they should. It's what I try to accomplish every time I bring this up.

Did you know that just outside this industry, literally everywhere else in all of development, there are products released in which the average consumer interaction works as intended? Even in unimaginably complex, globe-spanning systems with an objective shitload more moving pieces, they still somehow make products that are minimally viable.

And yet this is somehow a bridge too far for an entire sub-industry.

See this posting? None of this, please.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Really tempted to make BUGS AREN'T FEATURES the thread title, but that would remove perfection.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nice saran wrap shirt, Johnny.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

JOINT PAIN

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LifeSunDeath posted:

lol didn't even know this existed but yeah. all the stealth in SF is vent based. the vents are so comically huge and set up perfectly to avoid enemies, it's really stupid. on one mission I found a vent that lead from the outside of a base with no atmo to inside someone's office, no airlock nothing. the game had no problem with this.

So Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love to see a Geddan in the wild.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

V has called a big one!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)