Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Does this count? TASVideos presents: The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess in 0:00:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zif-0RxXNhM
it was the april fools submission

My real favorite is the error handler in Sonic 3D Blast for genesis. It pops up a dialog that says something like "Congratulations! You've found the secret level select!" and dumps you at the stage select.

This happens every time the game has some sort of terrible error it can't recover from, like if you whack the cart really hard while the genesis is on. There used to be a great video of this on youtube but the uploader seems to have been banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

There's a debatably better Genesis sonic glitch that is the most amazing thing ever if you see someone do it live when you're 10.

1. Acquire Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 carts.
2. Perform Sonic 2 stage select code.
3. Rip Sonic 2 cart from Genesis while it's still on.
4. Insert Sonic 3 cart. Hit reset.
5. Sonic 3 stage select.

It's the same general principle as Stop & Swop from Banjo Kazooie except it only relies on one bit being set, and that bit doesn't get automatically set to zero on power-on for some reason.

Eventually I'll make a video of this if I ever get around to digging my genesis out.

bringmyfishback posted:

Someone gives a character in Oblivion a thousand pieces of venison, while a weird giant stomps around in the background.

Yeah this isn't the glitch version, this is normal oblivion behavior for if you drop a huge stack of things. The glitch version is much funnier because the behavior is totally not normal.

Tl;dr in the 1.0 release, you can nock an arrow, bring up your inventory and then switch your equipped quiver for anything you want. When you release you'll fire the entire stack of those instead of the arrow. The game displaces arrows when fired for some reason known only to Bethesda.

And so, Oblivion Ham Tornado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUe-ndujR8

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Jul 23, 2012

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

Dark Souls 2 on PC happens to be janky as gently caress go figure.

I call this one tweddley deeddley legs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abhnXQlvo1I

This is what I imagine the walk loops in Don't Starve would look like if it was full 3D.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Elfface posted:

After one battle, I as standing a little too close to a wall, so while the Main Character and one other were fine standing there, the other two were running around trying to get into good positions. This somehow ended up in Teddie and Kanji running in circles around the group like a Benny Hill chase. :3:

Sounds like the ps2 door bug all over again.

Find a door in a dungeon connected to a straight hallway that runs past it. Kite a shadow over to the right side of the doorframe and do the fight, as soon as it ends push into the right side of the door (the door itself rather than the frame) and don't let go. Boom, party members desperately trying to path into a wall and flipping the hell out because they can't.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

That's really fantastic. Reminds me of the early days of bf1942 where looking straight up when jumping into water would shoot you several hundred feet into the air for no real reason.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know if they ever fixed it, but used to you could get an entire city to kill each other if you just dropped something like a cabbage in the middle of town.

I'm just now playing it for the first time since a bunch of friends picked it up for 12$ from that sale last month.

There's a quest where a higher-up in the thieves' guild named Frey becomes a temporary follower. 'Temporary' followers don't displace your normal follower if you have one and generally can't die since they're plot important.

Anyway, this dude is supposed to unlock a door for me. Except he doesn't because Bethesda. I stop caring and go do other quests or whatever with this guy tagging along and making angry comments about the still-locked dungeon I should be clearing.

At some point in a different dungeon I run across a locked master-level chest. Since lockpicking is pretty bullshit I tell my other follower to open the chest (followers ignore locks entirely) and for some reason Frey immediately goes hostile to me. I leave the dungeon and fast-travel to Whiterun assuming he'll die to the guards.

Nope.

I arrive in Whiterun and Frey immediately takes a swing at me and gets swarmed by guards. When plot-important NPCs 'die' they just stagger for a few seconds and revive, so I accidentally wound up creating the Terminator. Wherever I'd go he'd be there, pissed at me and completely unkillable. He's still there and has demolished at least two towns trying to get me :ohdear:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Hyrule Warriors is a dynasty warriors game with Zelda characters.

It has costumes which have custom animation sets.

It also has a bug where you can make costumes load on the wrong people.

e: awful.app :mad:

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Sep 15, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Pneub posted:

"Power leveling" in Castlvania: Harmony of Dissonance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efkf5qcitX0

I think my least-favorite thing about modern games is that barring animation /physics/collision errors anything interesting you can do that screws with internal memory usually just causes an exception and makes the game gracefully crap itself without anything funny happening.

The less said about this one, the better. It's just magical. Don't blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQTsPbZu6Q

In a similar vein, here's Something in Super Metroid being done live by a real person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js1KNdfI818&t=828s

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Oct 17, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Somfin posted:

It looks like he actually just fell through the game's code and started messing with it. What the gently caress did he DO down there?

He literally walks through the ram until he gets to the variable used to store the index of the next cutscene, breaks a block so the index is now pointing at some part of the ending and then exits the stage via start + select which calls the cutscene.

insert matrix joke here

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Minus Green posted:

I was playing Mega Man Revolution (a fangame) and at one point while climbing a ladder, I somehow started floating backwards into a wall until I eventually fell out of the level. I wish I had caught it on video, but here's a screenshot of it as it was happening:

bass are you ok

Derail: is that any good?

For whatever reason the megaman fangame signal:noise ratio seems to be really high and I haven't heard of that one. I'll check it out.

e: (dammit awful.app stop showing me yospos colors outside yospos)

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Oct 26, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQBU4ZfA_qY

Gimbal lock is a magical thing in Bethesda games.

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Oct 26, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Has anyone made a good Alien : Isolation glitch video aside from that short thing with the door? The AI behaves as it should most of the time but if it has to interact with anything that's being controlled by a script (including itself in the case of an alien jumping into/out of a vent in a canned animation sequence) it tends to get very confused.

If there isn't a video I've got some good examples saved, but that'd involve getting them off the PS4 somehow.

E: These sum it up pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74wWwEvygM8&t=16s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNRV98bXfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8b06ZTCYp0&t=24s

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Nov 8, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Pacman returns to his home planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJdLfASyBAM

Sims 3's character creator handles out-of-range character values in the best possible way, featuring the best kill animation that will ever exist anywhere ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpBRf6XNf8

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

What they need to do is to develop a game that has just a whole universe of weird rear end glitches and crazy poo poo you can do, but hide it under a very thin, very easily breakable facade of a "regular game" so that producing those glitches is both very easy and makes you feel like a little kid getting away with breaking windows.

It already got posted ages ago but the legend of Zelda: Link's awakening has an bug that allows you to teleport yourself, clone items/entities and generally destroy the game by getting items you shouldn't have (the level 0 shield) at times you shouldn't have them (anytime ever). Tas videos has a playaround run just for showing off the amount of fuckery and havoc that can happen solely due to the game not disabling the map during screen transitions.

http://tasvideos.org/3579S.html

It's also important to note that the bug is trivial to do on hardware. You don't need reflexes or frame perfect timing to explore the hellish glitchscape under koholint.

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Dec 5, 2014

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I figured out how to do this when I was a kid. I think I put in like three times as many hours playing in the glitch dungeons than I ever did legit playing. :allears:

:hfive:

Living in the middle of nowhere as a kid meant 2 hour bus rides for the whole of 3rd/4th grade.

Robindaybird posted:

It's a reason I'm one of the many people who think the DX version is inferior, as it fixed the exploit/glitch by keeping Link centered on the screen at all times.

Though unfortunately if you're not careful with LA, you can get yourself to an unwinnable state with the Ghost and any other 'I won't go into a dungeon' character - though I somehow managed to glitch my copy to a state where the ghost never shows up in any consequential game, which thankfully isn't important to finishing it.

Nah. You can just wall-warp into the dungeons using the long house in the animal village.

Assuming you can keep bow-wow from eating dungeon puzzle pieces or bosses, that is..

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh boy I'm just starting out with game development and I can't wait to ruin my life creating and maybe fixing bugs like these (unironically)

Imagine an object in a 3D game world that's a monitor. It can have a data blob object attached to it to make it play a video, display an image or display a textfile in oldschool b/w monitor 80-column mode while playing square wave midis.

Imagine an inhouse texture format. Everyone hates it so it gets updated and loses backwards compatibility with its previous version. One night a few months later support for loading the old texture format is removed, and nobody really notices since the editor had been silently converting old textures to new ones whenever they were accessed.

Imagine a big set of forgotten monitor objects in a little hidden room. The blob for them was a texture that was never updated for some reason and the engine handled it by feeding it to the 'fake terminal' handler.

Imagine starting that level, proceeding to that room and suddenly getting hit with a cacophony of flat notes coming from every monitor at once at random intervals. And then you move closer to the monitors and you see

code:

oval office.

on every single screen.

It was the file signature for the old format (author unknown) immediately followed by a control code that put it into midi mode, followed by the rest of the crap in the file.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

HellCopter posted:

There actually was an exploit like this on modern consoles: The Smash Stack. For a while it was possible to jailbreak your Wii with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Putting a certain file on an SD card and trying to access it as a custom stage would basically give it free reign to do whatever it wanted to the Wii.

There's an even more recent one on the 3ds in the form of Ninjhax. Cubic Ninja has a level editor that lets you share levels via qr code. These levels stuff objects from the qr code into a fixed size buffer and will merrily continue to do so long after the buffer has overflowed.

This marks the first and probably last time QR codes will ever be genuinely useful.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Whoever asked about the game with the blinking, beeping oval office terminal, it was this game (and I didn't work there, I just knew a whitebox tester who did)

TopHatGenius posted:

If you've ever played on a Private World of Warcraft server, you'll know that the quality of the servers are nowhere close to what you'll get on the official Blizzard sites.

My entire stint with wow was on a private server just because I wanted to explore/screw around at random with the small suite of godmode powers (mainly teleport) the server gave everyone.

At some point we discovered this thing:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=30847/x-52-rocket-helmet

You'd think this would be in fairly high demand on a server based solely on screwing around rather than playing fairly, but this item was a bit bugged to say the least.
For whatever reason whenever you used the helmet's active ability the server would lag for a second or so and then shoot you *downwards* through the terrain into the abyss. As it was a screw-around server, it was fairly easy to get out of the abyss just by teleporting to something. Teleporting didn't reset your momentum though so it wasn't an uncommon sight to see someone spawn 3 feet above the ground in a major city, fall the 3 feet, and then immediately die of massive fall damage. Especially after an admin caught on and stuffed a bunch of them in the auction house for pennies.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

My deepest gaming regret is not discovering SS13 until far after its heyday had ended. :smith:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

bathroomrage posted:

I don't have a video of it, and it's more of an unfortunate quirk of the engine, but in Shadow of Mordor your badass rander/wraith dude that can jump straight up a few stories and can teleport around will, without fail, get hung up on tiny rocks and corners and come to a screeching halt to lean up against them.

Every single time. It never fails to crack me up.

I love shadow of mordor's physics engine.

When you get the skill that allows you to instantly mount/dominate the 40' tall ogre things as a ranged action, find one that's behind cover aside from a hand of head or something poking out that you can target and use the skill. The game apparently tries to tween you to where you should be on the mount but it doesn't disable physics so instead you wind up doing a gmod-style smash into whatever's obstructing you and making enough ground contact sounds that the game lags.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Hopefully it also results in a playaround where the runner beats both quests and collects two complete triforces on the same savefile while completely breaking the game in half ala that one SMW run.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

What's that one SMW run?

I'm on mobile right now and I can't check but I'm pretty sure this is it:

https://archive.org/details/tasSnesSuperMarioWorldplayaroundIn5239.23ByGenisto

Just search tasvideos for <Mario game> playaround for good entertainment. Playaround runs own since they showcase all the weird bugs and such that weren't useful for saving time. The SMB3 one has at least two different player deaths inside a mushroom house, for example.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Very rarely under very specific conditions source games will decide a particular 3D model should be drawn rotated 90 degrees from its actual rotation. It used to happen with the base gates in TF2 fairly often near launch, but yesterday I saw it happen to a dota playermodel. It rotated all his particle systems too so whenever he used his spin attack it looked like a buzzsaw.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

Ride to Hell is a loving piece of glitchy poo poo

Thanks for finally putting a name to all the gifs of it I've seen floating around recently. It being pulled from steam annoys me though since I'd totally pay a dollar for the experience.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

President Ark posted:

It's also possible - under rare circumstances - for a large explosion or something right after the cart starts dropping into the hole but before it actually hits the explosion trigger point to knock the cart away, at which point it becomes a contest for both teams to try to physics it back into/away from the hole.

All you need is a liberty launcher and the proper timing. I've gotten it into the RED spawn behind the pit on badwater. :3:

Rectus posted:

In an even more weird design decision, the cart is a physics object all the time, just restricted to a path. So unless the level designer is really careful, it can get completely stuck on level geometry.

Pick spy and go cloak-and-dagger on upward offensive. When the cart's in the mine tunnel before the second point, get on top of it and stand as far to the back as possible and crouch. When you see the front of the bomb leave the tunnel, uncrouch and activate the C&D.

When you uncrouch your head is inside the ceiling, which is bad. The game tries to correct you by ejecting you so you're outside the ceiling, which is good. Unfortunately you're now inside the bomb, which is bad. And then you activate the C&D, which for some reason causes the bomb to flip the hell out and go ricocheting through the caves like some sort of strange atomic pinball, which is good.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

link to a video for this because im too lazy to try it myself

different bug same map same results (mute the audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a76BvXmYmXM

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

scamtank posted:

The skeletons are just bad. Limbs, joints and sections of the torso have really limited arcs where they can twist and flex.

If you manage to kill a heavy-armor wearing draugr without applying force they almost always wind up in the crab walk position. Knees go forward, everything else goes backward, and their butt winds up floating a foot in the air because of the angle limit on the knee joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Pneub posted:

Sonic 3D Blast "cheat code":

There's a video of this bug somewhere on youtube that I've been trying to find for ages. It's just a static shot of a Genesis and a TV and a dude walks in and backhands the cart, the glitch triggers, he gives the camera a thumbs up and walks off. If anyone knows where to find it I'd be grateful.

Pneub posted:

I still can't tell if it's a glitch or intentional, but if you get to Altered Beast's title screen, pull the cartridge out without turning off the system, put in Strider, then hit reset, boom, you have infinite lives in Strider.

This also works with main three Sonic games and their stage select/debug codes. Once debug's on you can hotswap any other in and it'll be active there too.