Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Yeah, the Deluxe Edition for Twilight Struggle is only around $48 bucks on Amazon. Quality components and really fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND's brother persuaded her to play a game of Ticket to Ride with us, and she absolutely loved it, she was really engrossed in it. Which is great, because she, like a lot of people, has this preconceived notion that boardgames are boring and for nerds.

The problem is that I really don't like Ticket to Ride for some reason, but I'd like to find something else for us to play. Any tips on games that someone who likes TTR would also like?

Ticket to Ride was a great gateway game for my wife and her siblings. After we got them hooked on TTR we've had some luck with Carcassonne and Stone Age. I've also had a chance to play Dixit with a bunch of new non-gamers and that was really well received.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Wizards provides the Lords of Waterdeep rulebook for download here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/waterdeep1#78495

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Picked up Castles of Burgundy and have had the opportunity to play it a couple times. I've really enjoyed it so far, I think it strikes a nice little balance between the luck of the dice rolls and the strategy involved with laying tiles and everything else. Also seems really accessible, too- I've taught it easily to a few people from my group, as well as a relative who hasn't played Euro board games before.

Picked this up last week as well! Haven't played it yet, but it was the one non-Munchkin game I wanted at a Barnes & Noble where I was trying to burn a gift card. Glad to hear it's accessible.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

Thanks for all the card game recommendations so far. When I mentioned MtG, I meant games where you spawn monsters and whirl spells/events at each other, not games that actually imitate its mechanics. I'll definitely look into all games mentioned, but currently I feel like I'll probably go with Summoner Wars just to find out what's with all the fuzz.

I didn't see it mentioned but the new version of Wiz-War is fun and you whirl spells at each other all day. It's got a poo poo load of cards but also minis, so don't know if that falls to far from "card game" for you.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

If I remember correctly, Wiz War, along with Cosmic Encounter, were the two biggest inspirations for Magic.

Yeah, I've heard Richard Garfield talk about that before. I remember the first gaming convention after Magic had come out and how it basically changed EVERYTHING. What a massive hit.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Are there any trick taking games like Gang of Four/Tichu for a large number of people?

We're having a house warming party/casual game night soon and there will be around 8 to 10 of us. I have The Resistance, Time's Up, and Dixit, but I'm trying to think of anything else that could go over in a big group like that. Only a handful of us are "gamers" so that's why I'm keeping with the party games.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

I think The Great Dalmuti probably fits the bill.

Sounds like a great suggestion, thanks! Hadnt heard of it before.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

If you guys have Barnes & Nobles in your towns, they usually have a decent small selection of common boardgames. The one near me has stuff like Agricola, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Survive, BSG, Dominion, etc. All stuff you can get cheaper on Amazon but still better than nothing in a pinch.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I want to chime in with some more Castles of Burgundy love. My wife and I have played it a few times this past week and really enjoyed it. Another couple-friendly game! A little learning curve with the iconography of the buildings and knowledge tiles, but I printed out some cheat sheets, and we'll be good to go after a few more plays. I've never played any of Stefan Feld's other games, but now I'm looking forward to trying them.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought my wife might like this one because the dice apparently limit the decision space, but how many different rules are there for the different tiles? (I didn't see the rulebook anywhere.)

Check out this cheat sheet from BGG someone made that's really helpful:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64999/castles-of-burgundy-tile-play-aid-v1-0

Whiles it's true there are only 4 basic actions you can take on your turn, the different buildings and tiles you place all have different effects, so there's a bit of a learning curve. Once you've played once or twice though, you'll see that it's not very complicated at all.

My wife and I usually play pretty casual stuff like Stone Age, Carc, and Ticket to Ride. She was a little intimidated by this one when she saw it setup but really loved it after our first play.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

They're making a King Arthur themed follow-up to The Resistance called The Resistance: Avalon -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/the-resistance-avalon

Looks interesting. I guess one player will be "Merlin" and know who all the bad guys are, but has to be careful about revealing himself because the bad team has some way to assassinate him and win the game. I only get together with a group big enough to play these kinda games a couple of times a year, so probably going to pass. They also mention a new edition of The Resistance with new types of components which could be potentially cool.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Man, those anime promo cards are more of a disincentive to pledge early, but I'll totally jump in on this. I'd be a bit worried about player elimination with the assassination stuff, but maybe it's more of a special automatic win/lose type scenario that only comes in the final round.

Yeah, the "sexy-Resistance" cards are pretty silly and unfortunate. As far as the Merlin thing, it sounded like in the video that it's an end-game thing that the bad guys can use to win, but I haven't actually seen any rules yet.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The sample art they show for Gauntlet of Fools is pretty cool - it's got a pulpy Conan vibe I dig. The game itself doesn't look that interesting, so I'm passing on the kick starter. As far as his other games, I wasn't crazy about Kingdom Builder at first, but a bunch of my friends REALLY ended up loving it and I came around to really liking it too. It's just so drat chill.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Are any of you enjoying Agricola Big & Small? I haven't tried it yet, but already having regular Agricola, I'm wondering if it's worth picking up. We don't play a ton of 'gric, but we enjoy it enough.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

When I saw that Small World is available on iPad, I very nearly dropped everything and ran out to the Apple store. I'd tolerate a lower resolution if I could get it on iPhone.

It didn't have online multiplayer last time I checked, so I never bothered to grab it. Hear it's a really nice app otherwise.

And I totally agree with Crackbone re: Elder Sign. Pretty cool time waster on ios/android, but the real game is kind of a drag with a bunch of little counters and chits.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Lorini posted:

It's a good design but there's no random factors. This isn't necessarily a problem overall, but when it's a two player game, with few moving parts, there's just not much re-playability.

Thanks, thats good to know. We still get plenty of action out of regular Agricola, so I'll pass on this one for now.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No way, plot cards are loving awesome and add the potential for more conflict and lying. Spy gets to look at a resistance member's identity? Finger the resistance as a spy and sow distrust! Or tell the truth and say "yeah she's legit" and now you're in good with her.

As a spy, I strung along one of my friends SO hard one game, it was epic. And it was all lying around those plot cards and piling on one other dude. When Resistance is good, it's the best.

And as far as spy/resistance win ratio, spies have probably won about 70% of the time for us.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The Dregs posted:

What is a good game that can be played with kids in the 8-10 year old range? I mean these cool new games you all are talking about, not Monopoly or Stratego. I almost bought Small World today, but I didn't want to plop down 55 bucks on a maybe.

My nieces are 9 and 11 and they've enjoyed the following few games for the last couple years: Survive - Escape from Atlantis, Flash Point, Ticket to Ride (the older kid), Zombie Dice and Zooloretto. I also bought them Hey, That's My Fish! because it SHOULD be right up there alley, but it kind of takes a long time to reset all the stupid tiles for another game, so they never wanted to play it that often.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

pw pw pw posted:

So OK, it turns out Hero Quest is still really loving fun with a room full of 25-year olds.

I had to even add an extra character to fit everyone in! It was one of those little 50c machine teddy bears, which we used as an extra barbarian. Everyone had such a great time with the first mission, and the bear ended up felling the chaos gargoyle in one attack.

Epic, epic start.

I can't remember if it was HeroQuest or WarhammerQuest, but one of those games had these killer Minotaurs that would ALWAYS gently caress our poo poo up. I can't remember the actual gameplay, but I loved the hell out of those games in high school.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Picked up 1960: The Making of the Prez from my LFGS today. It was hard to find it online for a decent price, so paying retail was actually cool this time. Love Twilight Struggle, and want to see if 1960 can work as a gateway into CDGs. Stick with Nixon.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

My wife and I got in our first play of 1960: The Making of the President this morning and we both really liked it. I'm used to the style after playing a few games of Twilight Struggle, but she's completely new to CDGs. She caught on fine and I figure after a couple more games, we'll be more familiar with the cards and open to different strategies. We had NO IDEA what was going on with the Debate this first time and I was also lost on the "issues"-track for most of the game, which led to me not having many momentum tokens. I still pulled out a win as Nixon because I kept 45 point New York a priority and I just had more votes in the end. Can't wait to play again (and then eventually spring Twilight Struggle on her).

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Seeing as my household LOVES Castles of Burgundy, I'm looking to pick up another Stefan Feld game. Trajan looks awesome with its mancala mechanic - anyone familiar with it? Is it of comparable complexity to CoB? He's got a couple of new games in prototype that look awesome, especially this one called Bora Bora which I can't wait to hear more about.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the opinion on Trajan. BGG says it's got a 90 min playtime (like CoB) but it does look a lot busier. We'd primarily be playing 2 players if that makes a big difference.

Mundus Novus sounds fun Countblanc, will probably snatch it up this week.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

jmzero posted:

I got the Elias/Garfield/Gutschera book "Characteristics of Games" a week or so ago - and it's excellent. Most of the content is familiar if you've spent time thinking about games, but Garfield approaches the various subjects with an amazing clarity and mental rigor.

To be clear: this isn't a book about how to design games (or at least not directly, though you'll have a better understanding of game design after reading) and it doesn't set out to be anything but educational (it originated as the textbook for Garfield's class on game design theory). The book even has some exercises to go through, though they're more of the "thought stimulation" variety than the kind of busy-work/repetition you might find in a math textbook.

Anyway, I heartily recommend it (assuming, again, that you're interested in games and how they work).

Sounds really interesting! Game theory can be pretty fascinating stuff. I'm reading through A Book of Lenses which is also about game design. I think it's more about video game design in the end, but there's tons of basic game theory stuff in there that can be applied to board games.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Lawen posted:

I was listening to the newest Little Metal Dog podcast which had an interview with Donald X Vacchamochafrappechino and it got me curious about both Kingdom Builder and Nefarious. Anyone have thoughts on either? The evil genius theme of Nefarious sounds especially delightful but the relatively low BGG rating put me off a bit.

Also, that dude has a creepy loving giggle.

I liked Kingom Builder ok, but a group of my friends loved it, so much so I just gave it to one of them. It's really chill and relaxing, so depends on who's gonna be playing I suppose. I also had friends who weren't into it at all.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

How is Campaign Manager 2008? I already have 1960 if that makes a difference and if it's more of the same.

From that Tanga sale, I'm also looking at Golden Cities, Travel Blog, Cities, and The Swarm. Any of those absolute stinkers?

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

modig posted:

I recently read a review of Modern Art and it sounds perfect for my group, since it seems to involve a lot of yelling at each other and persuasion I'd love to hear some opinions from anybody else who has tried it.

Also does anybody know where to buy it (not the simplified version) online for a reasonable price? It's $55 used on Amazon, but the review I read suggested it was like $30 new.

There's a bunch of sellers on the BGG marketplace selling it for reasonable price new and used: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=listforsale&gameid=118

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

pbpancho posted:

Quick opinions on Alien Frontiers? There's a copy at my local store and I've seen some video reviews that make it look pretty fun.

If youve got one, theres an iPad version that just came out. Very basic but it's only 5 bucks and you can see if its a game you'd want to own.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Crackbone posted:

That got me thinking.

Card game. Each player has a hand that represents influence in various spheres of power (Police, City Hall, DA, Unions, Drug Cartels, etc). Each sphere has different effects that can be played face up on the table. Police might make an opponent discard, Drug Cartels might force other players to pay him, Unions would have defensive effects, City Hall could peek at upcoming cards, etc.

This made me think of the new game Andean Abyss. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet? 4 factions: drug cartels, government, and then left wing and right wing factions. Hello Gregor reviews are greatest:http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21094/andean-abyss/hello-a-review-of-andean-abyss

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I've had a chance to play Andean Abyss live and although it took longer than I expected, the game was very, very good. Everyone (except FARC, but he played badly) was in it until the end and the game was eventually won by the Cartel. The only minor issue with it is that you really need to read up on the Government strategy in the playbook, since otherwise the game can be a cakewalk if the Government player doesn't understand the implication of some of the rules.

How long did your game run? I've only ever played 2 player games that look similar.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I got Trajan a few weeks ago and we've played it about 6 times with 2-players only. It's fun although we don't like it as much as Castles of Burgundy which we still play almost nightly. The Mancala mechanic which I was most excited to try gets a little stale, but it's cool to see it used this way. All the mini-games that you play to score VP are simple, but deciding where to focus your attention feels pretty strategic and enjoyable. I imagine the game being more challenging and tense with 3 or 4 players, but it'll be awhile till I get to try that out. We'll probably bust it out once a week or so, but it isn't going to pass Burgundy as our favorite game right now.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Today was going to be Mage Knight but after a game of Thunderstone with a new player we decided to check out something new in Castles of Burgundy.

Overall I think it's probably the best of the Euro-y dice games. I think Alien Frontiers is probably better, just because it's smoother and easier to see the end game, though not as deep. I don't particularly think these Euro games have much depth from game to game because the actions I find pretty boring most of the time. For example in this game I went ship and city card heavy, finishing first in Mines/Tech/Buildings/Castles the other players went for farming, if I played the game again I feel like a lot of these games your choices are dictated mostly by what the players in front of you do and you usually end up doing everything to some degree. I'd say the dice were a lot bigger factor in this than Alien Frontiers because Alien tech is a lot easier to get, while burning actions to replenish workers can definitely hurt you a lot more.

Other downsides were the large amount of tokens, we're talking close to FFG level here. Seems like they could have streamlined things like the workers and the money into the same resource.

Overall I'd say Stone Age(smoother) and Alien Frontiers(more interesting) are better, but this was definitely better than Macao or Troyes. As usual with Euro games if you don't give a poo poo about the theme and it's all just numbers on cardboard, this is probably a fine game for you.

We play the poo poo out of Castle of Burgundy, and the main things I find that compel you towards one path or the other for victory points are A. the player board you get (if you play with random ones) and B. what yellow "knowledge" tiles come out during the game. I never really feel too screwed by bad dice rolls because workers are easy to come by, and you can usually do SOMETHING to help your final score like selling goods for money/points. You're right that there's a poo poo load of chits but since all you have to do is make a bunch of face down stacks, it's pretty fast to set up. When it comes to upkeep between rounds, everyone around the table helps fill in the slots so that goes by quick for us too. I just bought the Spielbox issue that had 8 new maps in it because we're such CoB freaks.

I've only played Alien Frontiers as the iOS app, so I don't know how it plays with real people, but I can't imagine enjoying it half as much as CoB. There were some cool elements to it for sure, like the ship yard and being able to dump dice into the slower way of putting out dome-things, but I got bored with it pretty quick. Still want to play with real people to see if there's more fun to be had.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Friday is a pretty fun solo game in which you are helping Robinson Crusoe escape the island he is stranded on. It's quick (30 minutes) and has multiple difficulties for plenty of re-playability. It's also very portable (6"x6" box) and doesn't require much space to play, and very few pieces that could get lost.

I keep putting Friday into my cart for the various online boardgame stores that have free shipping at a certain level. I think it looks fun so I'm glad to hear you enjoy it.

Kiranamos posted:

Escape got a ton of hype at BGG.CON because it was quick and readily accessible due to a sponsored event where copies were being given out, but I think the game is really short-lived. I've played with 3 different groups and won the base game in 2 tries each time. After that, you're forced to add expansions in to keep it fresh; the problem is that you're still rolling the same 5 dice with the same simple rules, so there's not actually anything new to do after the first few plays. With a 10 minute game, that's pretty awful. Space Alert is way better than Escape.

Bummer about Escape! The video playthrough/review up on BGG made it look really fun. Was going grab it for my wife and I because we dig dice games, but if it's gonna get stale that quick I might reconsider.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm looking for some board games that I could carry in a backpack without the game(s) completely taking over the available space and ideally being fairly quick to play. I found a number of threads about this on BGG, but as I've just started to dip my toes into the board game world it's hard for me to sift through the suggestions when all I've got to go on is "THIS IS A GOOD AND PORTABLE GAME!" and a bunch of ratings in the 6.something range. Telling me "All you have to do is use a pencil and paper for keeping score" doesn't mean anything to me when I don't even know how you normally keep score in whatever game that's being discussed.

In any case, Dominions, Settlers of Catan, Hive Pocket, and Summoner Wars come up a lot in those threads, so they're on the short list (the only one of those I've played is Settlers). What other games can you think of that are portable, reasonably quick to play (ideally under an hour), and aren't terrible? Bonus points if it's quick to learn but that's not necessary stricture.

How many people are you going to be playing with? Some great portable card games for 3 or 4 players are: Tichu (if you have exactly 4 players) or Haggis (if you'll have 2 or 3 players). Hey That's My Fish comes in a super tiny box and is pretty fun, 2 to 4 players. Ra: The Dice Game is fun and pretty portable and quick. 2-4 players.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I ended up buying the "second expansion" for Castles of Burgin' from the geek, and while $5 bucks for 4 tiles is kinda silly, I'm stoked to be getting it. The 8 maps from Spielbox were great and worth it as well.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

My wife and I picked up the 2-player The Rivals of Catan last week and have been loving it. I haven't played regular Catan in years, but this feels so much quicker and more interesting. I love that they included a bunch of the expansions as "theme games" so looks like we'll have a lot to look forward to with it. It's about $16 bucks online, so can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Our yearly "cabin con" starts tomorrow. We rent a beach house and just play board games, eat, and drink for 4 days. We don't drink till we're drunk for the most part, but it's a few days away from work and family where it's okay to have beer with your breakfast. I'll get to finally try Eclipse which is totally new to me. We're also gonna do a Dreadball tourney which the guys who got it seem to really enjoy. One guy is bringing Space Cadets which looks like a blast, plus a bunch of other new games/standards. These weekends are the only time I get to have big Resistance games where people get SO worked up, I love it. Don't think anyone picked up the Avalon version which would have been cool to try. Think we're also gonna step away from board games for a few hours Friday night to play some Dungeon Crawl Classic which is a good time.

Everyone should organize these kind of weekends with their friends, they're a blast.

• Locked thread