Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Trynant posted:

It's a pretty swell game, but definitely look at the rulebook (freely available as a download on the BGG user page). The game is up there in terms of complexity. Really up there.

Any game that has a "Jilted by Elizabeth table" is a game that demands to be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

hairrorist posted:

Yeah, I guess anime tatas would count as 'extra credit.'

Compare and contrast the following two statements:

1; This is my complete collection of Uwe Rosenberg promo cards, mint in their sleeves.

2: This is my collection of foiled lolita space maid game cards.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Got a chance to play Trajan for the first time over the weekend and I think I am in love. Quite possibly my new favourite Euro-y game. Not noticing a lot of Trajan love in here, perhaps Trajan lovers love their Trajan in silence with a glass of pinot noir. Maybe it's just the the little peg mechanic that has got me all hot and bothered, though.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Lightning Round: Need 6-8 player game for tonight. Was betting on being able to get 7 Wonders: Cities and could not. Need alternative. Mid-level attention spans; some complexity acceptable, euro-grog games probably out. Help me Obi-Wan Kenboardthread, you're my only hope.

Cash n' Guns, Resistance, RoboRally, Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity, Shadow Hunters, Bang! are my go-to for larger groups.

Most larger group games tend to be a bit on the lighter/party side

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Lighter is fine and probably preferred. Is Bang! good? And what is shadow hunters and resistance? I'd look these things up but I'm also getting food ready, apologies.

Well, they are all hidden traitor types of games where people are attempting to co-operate to accomplish a goal but there are those mixed in that are trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Bang! is much more like mafia, where there is an outlaw trying to figure out who the sheriff is and kill him before he gets killed by everyone else. Certain roles get certain information, but also have an incentive to not just openly declare that information (lest they be killed themselves)

The Resistance is a great traitor game, very simple. You are members of a resistance cell plotting to overthrow... something (you can pretty much just make up whatever oppression you are fighting against, it doesn't really matter). Problem is, there are a bunch of people in the cell who are actually spies from the secret police out to thwart your freedom fighting endeavors. Every turn, you rotate the cell leader who is responsible for deciding who to send on a mission. Spies want to get in on these missions to make them fail. Resistance members want to figure out who the spies are and keep them out of the mission teams.

Shadow Hunters is of a similar vein. Hunters vs. Demons, trying to figure out who is what so you can call them and win. You have special abilities you can use, but they will also telegraph to everyone what side you're on, so it is about planning, deducting and then striking when you (think you) are sure.

Out of the three, my groups seem to enjoy Resistance and Shadow Hunters quite a bit.

Formula D and Bohnanza, mentioned above, are also great.

DeepSpaceBeans fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

orphean posted:

My wife and I decided to dive into boardgames together this holiday season as a way of spending more time together. I've played boardgames for years (though I'm more of a grognardy ASL sperg) but she didn't have much exposure outside of the horrid Monopoly - Angry Birds Star Wars the Movie : The Game stuff.

Started off with Carcassonne and one of my favorite mini expansions for it, Carcassonne: The Count which she loved.

Through the Desert came next because I'm a sucker for pastel camels. She absolutely smokes me at this game. So she's a big Knizia fan now of course :v:

Then for Christmas we ended up picking up:
Castles of Burgundy - Holy crap this game is fantastic.

Blue Moon City - This one was a surprise for me. Great two player game, we've played it about five times so far and the games always come within a turn of each other. Nail biting. I like the dual use card mechanic and wish more games used it as well.

Samurai - More Knizia tile laying but a beautifully produced game. My wife has a bit of an AP thing going on and this brings it out pretty hard for her.

Scarab Lords - Great filler game. Games are quick and fast paced. I enjoy how the base decks have a good amount of depth and play differently from each other.

Rivals of Catan - It's Catan! In 2 player card form! I actually like this a whole lot better than Settlers honestly. Good flow but it suffers a bit from the classical Settlers 'WILL A FIVE EVER BE ROLLED' problem but not as severe since it provides more tools and events to work around that.

Innovation - Crazy fun just... crazy really.

Nexus Ops - I have an Avalon Hill first edition of this so we played through it as a Something Completely Different game and she liked it alot which made me happy. Need to explore more two player ameritrashy games (though I'm not sure I'd call Nexus Ops purestrain ameritrash).

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Since she dug Nexus Ops I was thinkingEarth Reborn as an option. I also want to expose her to some worker placement mechanics. I'm leaning towards Caylus but have to admit Tzolkin looks really interesting. Not sure how well the latter plays with two players though.

Based on these games (which she likes) any suggestions on two player games I should look at getting for us?

Maybe I can convince her to play Napolean's Triumph with me soon :allears:

Well not so much based on what she likes, but perhaps as a way to enjoy part of your love of ASL together, why not give Memoir '44 a go? a really simple, hex-based war-game. I used to play a decent bit of tabletop war games and while I could never really get any of my girlfriends into plastic space soldiers, Memoir 44 is almost always well-received. It is the Ticket to Ride of wargames for me.

Speaking of Ticket to Ride, if you are playing mostly just together, the Nordic countries version is great for 2-3 players and so is the Switzerland one too, I've heard (never played it though)

• Locked thread