Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"I am a tree. Do you like my leaves?"

"Greetings, tree of Night Vale."

Biggest, most significant episode in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

But what if it's a white mouth??? :derp:

Maybe do it Doctor Claw style- you only see the back of his chair, and he's always wearing gloves.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

INTERLOPER!

Seriously, welcome to the fandom! Glad it's helping you- I feel the same way sometimes. (No, I'm not one of the creators, just one of many devoted fans).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

The audience slowly finding out the truth about Carlos and his "science" has been played really well, and hilariously. He's just as weird and in the dark as the rest of the town.

I generally think Carlos was a normal scientist when he came to Night Vale and has gradually adjusted to its weirdness. Then again, the University of What It Is doesn't exactly sound like an accredited institution.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Rose Spirit posted:

Iirc Dylan Marron (Carlos' VA) has said in the past that he always thought of Carlos as being basically a Brazilian male model wearing glasses and a lab coat. :v:

He looks that way; there's no reason a scientist can't be attractive.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Rose Spirit posted:

As in, literally just a male model. Has not actually studied science. Calls himself a scientist without any formal training. Hence why his definition of science may be different from that of the audience.

Well, until his background is stated canonically, I'm sticking with my thoughts. Actually, "I don't know, but I'm trying to find out, okay?" is a pretty good definition of science.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey he sacrificed himself to save Carlos!

Also, if we're talking favorite bits, the "Night Vale, we've got a real spider problem" thing from super early in year one is my favorite. Stop the madness, teach a spider to read

That always confused me because books are illegal?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dark Grapefruit posted:

^^ no, books are just heavily restricted and considered dangerous. They wouldn't have a library if they were totally illegal.

All the same, for some reason tarantula's are encouraged to read, yet humans are encouraged not to.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'd seen tons of fanart before I started listening, so I already had a picture of the standard Cecil and Carlos in my head (except the third eye- that never made sense to me). But I like that they never give anything explicit about Cecil, so people can see him however they want.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Quad posted:

I'm about 8 episodes in. It's ok, but I hope the announcer gets better/more comfortable, or they eventually have guest announcers. Right now he sounds like someone trying to read something he thinks is really really funny with a straight face, and it feels like a lot of the comedic timing suffers. It gets better right?

There are no guest announcers (well, maybe for one-and-a-half episodes), but yes, Cecil's delivery gets much better over time. I'd say by the end of the first "season" (around episode 25) he becomes a really strong actor.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

How does an eye wear Hawaiian shirts? (My wife says it's because he's a shape-shifter)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This episode was a ton of fun- love the way Janice is becoming more awesome (basically, she's turning into Oracle from Batman) and Cecil admitting that Steve is a good father. And the remixed theme song was fun, though I wouldn't want it to permanently replace the original. With due respect to Disparition, though, there was one section that I thought should be rescored.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kazy posted:

:allears: Took me a second, this is great. But what about the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. :ohdear:

It's pronounced SHRIIIINE.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This is pretty off-topic, but did anyone else find it odd that a big news story recently was about a lion named Cecil being killed by a man named Palmer? Just an odd coincidence.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Lovable radio personality Cecil Gershwin Palmer (briefly) ended up on the newest episode of Gravity Falls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEPx6cnsArw

"I love bread." Nice.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Met posted:

That was a swell episode. Back to roots really.

It's a good episode, but I don't see it as "back to roots" because there were two guest voices. I don't think there were any non-Cecil voices for the first fifteen episodes.

I had actually forgotten that John Peters- you know, the farmer?- had spoken before. It was Pamela's first voiced appearance, though, right? Those two were the highlight of the episode. "Cecil, I am looking directly at the sun." I also feel like a new arc is starting, with Cecil subtly provoking resistance to the City Council the same way he did against Strex. Apparently his reporting about the Dog Park and the world inside it started a protest movement. He plays it off as "oops, me and my big mouth," but I wonder if he was deliberately feeding information to the populace.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

There was something deeply unsettling about The Distant Prince. The obvious ending for the episode was to kill off a few interns, but that didn't happen. As far as we know, no one died or was even in physical danger, yet most of them were terrified to enter. That plus Cecil's closing speech made me think people were somehow changed at the level of their minds or souls. The last time we saw that happen was with The Smiling God. I wonder if they're building up a Lovecraftian pantheon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm getting into Wolf 359, which is kind of "Night Vale in Space." The first few episodes are a bit weak, but once I got to episode four I was hooked.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The fact that he's referred to as "the voice of Night Vale" says to me that he was originally supposed to be just the narrator and gradually developed into a character. That's happened to a lot of incidental characters over time. Remember when Steve Carlsberg was just some random guy that Cecil hated for no good reason? On one hand, that was a lot funnier, but on the other I like that he's grown into something more complex.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Great episode. The new characters were a lot of fun, but my most excited moment was another mention of The Distant Prince. I've been hoping for a while that him and The Smiling God were the beginning of a whole Lovecraft style pantheon, so I was stoked to hear him come up again.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If I can ask, and I don't want to sound like a Tumblr-ite

Why do people have this weird compulsion to apologize for caring about other people's feelings?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 2, 2015

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I'm pretty sure Cecil's race has never been specified or hinted at in the podcast at all.

In "History Week," it says that the first white people arrived in Night Vale in 1745. In "[Best Of?]" it says Cecil was in the desert that would become Night Vale and saw people arriving "from back east" to found the town. Some people read this as Cecil was living in the area before "the first white people arrived" and therefore could not, himself, be white. "[Best Of?]" was such a confusing episode (and one that I personally didn't care for) that I hesitate to read too much into it. We don't know what it really meant- it could be Cecil time-traveled back to the founding, for instance. Anyway, that's why some people assume Cecil is canonically POC.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

The OP on this thread (maxnmona, also a former front page writer) is Joseph Fink, the creator of the show. Earwicker (formerly a mod here) is Disparition, the dude who does the music.

This is also like the third or fourth episode Zach Parsons has done.

Huh, I thought Earwicker was Jeffrey Cranor. *shrug*

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The new episode was great. I especially loved the bit about immigrants from rival city Desert Bluffs being tagged with garish orange hats. It seems like there was some subtle social commentary there, if I could only put my finger on it...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

No one ever has to have even heard the podcast to follow our live shows. They're written to be self-contained.

Except for Old Oak Doors.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just listened to the new episode. My reaction can be summed up with an inaudible screeching over the last five minutes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Are you questioning the Whispering Canyon that decrees the Mayor irrespective of our petty democratic votes?

That's just what I'd expect to hear from you old guard establishment politicians. Can handle shaking up the status quo, huh?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Alice Isn't Dead is off to a good start. It felt very "Stephen King" to me, especially Thistle. The prose got a bit purple at times, but most of the details were well-chosen.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

If the Faceless Old Woman is scared, then I'm scared. The first segment of April Monologues was terrifying.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Thanks! I am going to put up the theme and outros for download sometime today. I'm going to release the full score at the end of the first "season".

Thank you very much, this new touring script is sort of an experiment, quite a bit different for us to perform compared to the last ones, especially that second half and we're all very grateful for the warm reception it's been receiving so far.

If you come back to Denver, I'll be sure to attend. I doubt I can afford to travel to see it, though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Any plans to release a recording of The Investigators?

They've done it with all the others, so I'm sure they will eventually.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

no, that's definitely it, i've been noticing it for years

i think the first time it's used is the tarantula psa back in year one. the one with "teach a spider to read! stop the madness"

I didn't realize how ubiquitous that sample was. The only place I knew it from was "It Takes Two," and I was worried I was just imagining it, like "that's kind of like it but not exactly."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

It just occurred to me that the main character in AiD doesn't have a name, does she? Calling it now: She was Alice the whole time.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

That's really my thinking on it too. Shes simply talking to herself.

I hope I'm wrong. It's a pretty obvious twist for a horror series.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Also dug the little dig on The Black Tapes.

That wasn't a dig, that was a shout-out. It seemed affectionate to me.

Black Tapes is pretty good, but it's kind of lost focus in season two.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, JFink almost gave me a heart attack this morning. I was listening to the new Alice while driving on a small road slightly above the speed limit and some woman was tailgating me. So I was worried I was about to get hit, and then suddenly there was an incredibly loud horn. Yikes.

Also, I actually did google the names on the billboard before I realized they were part of the story, not real world references. It turns out that Bernard Hamilton is a real murderer who was on death row until he died of natural causes a couple months ago. Coincidence? Probably.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone else had Palestine from this eps weather stuck in their heads?

They should team up with that Bob Dylan sound alike who sings "Jerusalem."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lay on Hands posted:

The description of the mud, and the bits shortly before and after, scared me shitless.

The mud stuff was terrifying. It reminded me of the Night Vale Fun Run through a canyon, but I haven't heard that ep in a while. I'm still hoping that The Distant Prince turns out to be the Big Bad of this season.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, I've been hoping for a while that they were gradually building a Lovecraftian pantheon. First you had The Smiling God, then The Distant Prince, and now The Hell Hound, which may or may not be related to the others.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Amateur Sketch posted:

I really should have expected the anticlimax.

Fitting for an arc about those who want Nothing.

Yeah, it was a real shaggy dog story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

vortmax posted:

The last episode of Alice Isn't Dead comes out Monday, right? Because I'm hoping to listen to the whole season while driving to Dallas for the live show.

Also, these relaxation tapes aren't really helping my anxiety. I think there might be something wrong with them.

It's only the end of part one. They've already guaranteed another part (season?).