Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

We are currently meeting with a number of different publishers. So nothing confirmed but very likely. Any comic book we did probably wouldn't focus on the main characters from the podcast so everyone can stop panicking about what they'll look like.

I'm wracking my brain for which indie darling I'd like to see write a Night Vale comic. Gonna go with Brandon Graham. Dude knows how to do weird, inexplicable poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

NO NO NO NO NO.

Bring in James Roberts from the current Transformers comics. He's the best writer in comics right now, no joke, and he'd fit perfectly.

Have you read Graham's Prophet? The whole thing is weird sci-fi poo poo that doesn't ever get explained but sorta kinda not really makes sense in context with the rest of the world.

Also we're gonna pretend that last bit isn't there because man there are a bunch of dudes better than him writing way better books.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Apache Tracker sacrificed himself to save Carlos, also who are you to say that he didn't actually have Indian Magicks?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

The live show in Brooklyn will have 8 guest voices.

That's the one you mentioned that's a mayoral election debate, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So is this something that we will be able to watch or listen to online later?

It's going to be an episode, it's just being performed and recorded live, iirc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Old Woman Josie, out near the car lot, clucks her teeth as she listens to Waiting For the Bus. There will be hail the size of Volkswagons tonight, according to the radio.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Annakie posted:

Strex Corp is coming to Night Vale and they've already bought the radio station.

Wait what, how did I miss this? I blame the Jackson Publick cameo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Maybe the reason it's always John Peters (you know, the farmer) is because everyone in his family is named John. So you have John Peters the plumber, baker, secret police officer (we don't talk about him though) and Night Vale has more farmers.

There's an episode where Cecil mentions a recent change around town not being popular with "Night Vale's farmer", John's the only one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So it's not headcanon because that's a stupid loving word but my theories based on the episode so far is that Night Vale (and by extention Desert Bluff) is actually near to another dimension, in that the worlds overlap and sort of combine, allowing this sort of surrealist fantasy to happen while everyone going about their lives as if everything was normal and these things are just normal things that happen.

My theories about cecil now is probably close to others in that Kevin is not actually cecil but his brother, and around the time that he died to some thing was also perhaps the epicenter of all this weird poo poo to come about (though cecil mentioned other oddities, which could have just been precursors to the event). The event rewrote cecil's memory and personality.

Except Night Vale was already weird as gently caress when Cecil was a kid, from the sounds of that cassette. Like, his destiny to be the radio host is writtne on the tablets at city hall. Also, why are you spoilering speculation?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Disabled adblock and the Buy Now button on bandcamp still isn't doing anything.

edit Tried it in firefox instead of Chrome and it decided to work. Whatever, as long as I can get it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BooDoug187 posted:

I saw this from knowyourmeme.com and spent a good part of a work day looking at the posters and listening to the audio they posted. I am looking forward to the book and what ever else the Scarfolk Council produces.

Yeah they could really be Night Vale's sister city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHBZ69AKDg

I was looking forward to the book until I found out I'd have to order it from the UK and then it was tempered a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Silentman0 posted:

That's a way better reason for Cecil to hate Steve than that "Steve is a bad father" nonsense.

But that's still what's happening, it's just that Steve being the only person who's actually aware of what's going on and how weird it is and trying to explain that counts as being a bad parent in Night Vale. The best part is, there's hints of this really early on, way back in Season 1, when Steve writes in about how the government couldn't be behind something and Cecil just loses his loving mind about it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

It kind of makes me wonder if Steve isn't actually from Night Vale, since he doesn't buy into the need for secrecy and non-acknowledgement of wierdness everyone else does.

Steve might be like the You from Story About You, who kinda was transplanted there and doesn't know why. I'm really hoping we get another STory About this year, I want to know more about the Vague Yet Menacing Government Agency and what they have to do with the way the town is run

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

In particular, Steve appears to believe that the things he knows to be true are secrets that only he can fathom. When, in fact, everybody knows where and how the government is conducting "secret" underground missile testing, the City Council announced weeks in advance that they caused the universe-shattering sandstorms, etc. So it's like he's got a divine mission to let people in on the incredible secret of the color of the sky and the sinister conspiracy that extorts money from people who drive too fast.

Steve sees The Truth, which is presented as a conspiarcy board in the sky, but it's actually the truth, it's the explanations for why things are happening and what's really going on, but nobody in town believes him because it's Night Vale and weird poo poo is par for the course

There's a real early hint of this in The Sandstorm when Cecil rages out about Steve trying to explain what was, quite likely, the actual truth (Steve disparages the Vague Yet Menacing etc if I remember right). And it's not so much that Cecil is flawed, it's that Steve and the way he sees the world is anathema to the rest of the town.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aishlinn posted:

Just the pilot. But she's no fun. :P

The Pilot is also not a very good introduction to the show. Shape in Grove Park is my favorite pre-plot episode, I think.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

I enjoyed it.

I bet you did, Hitler.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chapel Hill on my ding dang birthday. If I wasn't flat broke I'd buy a ticket.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

I liked it when I thought that Carlos had a magic haircut, though I also like that it's just because Cecil has a crush on him.

I liked early in year one when it just sounded like Cecil/maybe the whole town were just being weirdos about this newcomer but I'm really glad it developed into what it is now and Cecil's "And then....he kissed me!" is one of my favorite moments in the entire show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man I forgot how much I missed the Apache Tracker. Even if he was an rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beast Pussy posted:

Best name/ post combo.

Hey he sacrificed himself to save Carlos!

Also, if we're talking favorite bits, the "Night Vale, we've got a real spider problem" thing from super early in year one is my favorite. Stop the madness, teach a spider to read

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dimloep posted:

The non-standard format episodes are some of my favorites. I can't wait to find out what the final voice mail is about :iiam:

Yeah I think September Monologues and Story about Them are two of my favorites just for how they flesh out the world

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that Cecil's line about "No family member being perfect" in the episode with the cassette tapes is the same as his line about pets in Glow Cloud, when discussing Koshykk. The best podcast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question I don't think I've ever seen: are there any plot lines that you guys had sorta planned that were abandoned as you made the transition to the more serialized format, or that have strayed from the origins intent?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Action Yak Police posted:

There's a little Livestream where a few of us listen to the new episodes together and everyone in the chat is freaking the hell out. I'm a bit dizzy myself. Goddamn.

Yeah this is some crazy rear end poo poo that's throwing a wrinkle into what I thought we knew about Night Vale

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Emong posted:

I thought it was just another tape eject noise.

It was this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anybody with an apple device should grab the BookCon preview off the store because it's got the first four (four!!!) chapters of the novel in it and it's real good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

You had to know

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Earwicker posted:

ok so who is the goon that just called me by my something awful username in a hotel parking lot out yourself!

Bet it wasn't as bad as someone calling you Dickeye at a concert

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The only weather I've ever really liked that wasn't The Bus Is Late (Oh poo poo here's the bus/oh wait it's a different bus/not the right bus not the bus I need) is the Against Me! song but Against Me! is a band with like four good songs ever so there you go

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

You have a super narrow taste in music man.

Sky blue water wet

The new one is dope though

Edit there's actually a couple from really early on that I don't remember the names of but yeah most o kg the weather isn't my thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

See! Everyone love MN hip hop!

Not me. Below is a list of some songs I enjoy, and their musical genre, in an attempt to get good music on Night Vale

Merryweather Spitbugs
Preston Cloche
Fingerstyle guitar

Party of Rain
Spencer Westwood
Fingerstyle guitar

Bodicea's Lair
Imagination
Fingerstyle guitar

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my favorite weather is in The September Monologues

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

I think 50 was the big pop off for it, if I'm remembering right.

Its Old Oak Doors but we might not be totally finished with that just yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I've been leaving the whole show on repeat in my room because it's wonderful background noise and there's a line I noticed in the first episode, one that I really hope they do something with at some point: "Well, we've all been scientists at one point in our lives"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Action Yak Police posted:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Edit: poo poo, I had no idea that part B was out already. Thank god (or, actually, you I guess) we don't actually have to wait for 15 days on that cliffhanger.

Yeah you just have to wait 20 minutes for that thing from the end of Part A to be resolved stop toying with my emotions

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

The implication that Cecil is not a human seems to be going over their heads.

or that time just straight up Does Nto Work in Night Vale

Which is outright stated from the first episode, and the alternate timeline stuff just highlights it

There is no "canonically"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Change is a bad thing and everything should stay exactly the same forever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nuclear holocaust, alternately a musical episode

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747