Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The line about how Cecil had a hamster that died after like...two weeks is one of my favorite deliveries in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

The production doesn't really cost much at all, other than the upfront costs of a better computer for sound editing and mics and stuff. Most of our expenses is in producing events and t-shirts. But also there's a massive investment in time. Each episode is hours and hours of work by multiple people, all of us working for no money upfront. So stuff like donations goes towards helping us afford to keep doing that, and helping to, for instance, compensate Cecil for his acting work.

With the way things are working out, and assuming donations don't massively flag, I may be able to move away from my day job and start doing Night Vale full time within the next couple months. Obviously this would mean I'd have the time to arrange a lot more Night Vale content, like bonus episodes, video shorts, books, live events (probably even outside of our local area), and new types of merch, so it would benefit everyone really.

I'm planning to donate to you guys sometime next month. The question is how much. I REALLY want that Cecil shoutout but I dunno if I'll have that kind of disposable income.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BooDoug187 posted:

If you like radio show kind of thing you can check out decoder ring theater. They do a super hero show set during WW2 called The Red Panda and a PI show called Black Jack Justice. They are well acted and written very well.

I like Black Jack Justice more than Red Panda personally. There's some other fully voiced ones I've found of varying quality. Darker Projects has a few some are fan fictions while others are original works but they have an erratic at best update schedule. Leviathan Chronicles is another one. I'm not too sure if I actually like it or not and I've only listened to the first season but season 2 finally started coming out recently. The last that comes to mine is We're Alive. It's an ok zombie apocalypse podcast but I fell behind during one of their season breaks and haven't listened in awhile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I get the feeling Desert Bluffs looks incredibly clean and tidy like a 50's or 60's sitcom. Perfect lawns and everyone is super friendly and polite, even the town drunk has never hurt anyone he's just that rascally guy. The blood that was everywhere was just from a super bad wound caused while building that shelving unit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

alana posted:

And the animal viscera making up the sound board was just an accidental misdelivery from the butcher's shop?

Like Cecil wouldn't exaggerate?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope it's never openly stated where Night Vale actually is. I've taken to thinking this lovely desert town is in a place no lovely desert town should be. Like the wilds of Canada. Just forest, forest, forest, desert.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

New store coming by the end of the week, with restocked shirt and other merch items.

There is a very good chance after my vacation I'm going for the big donation. I really want that shout out from Cecil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

xanthan posted:

So I just finished Sandstorm B. What in the everloving Christ. Seriously, what the hell was going on there?

Clearly the Desert Bluffs crew enjoys eating rotisserie chicken when they should be focusing on just radio. At least that's how I explain the animal viscera.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dickeye posted:

And then the things that aren't ominous at all? Probably something still really awful! The Vanessas "assembling a bookshelf" and one of them being accidnetally injured? Yeah, that probably didn't happen that way at all. Part of Desert Bluff's thing, that's the opposite of Night Vale, is how deep in denial everyone is about the crazy poo poo that's going on and how terrible it is. Either that or they're completely inured in a way that Night Vale isn't, which is actually scarier.

My assumption was that Strex Corp just pumped them so full of medicine they were happy and complacent all the time.

Edit: If I wanted to get the story of that rear end in a top hat the Apache Tracker to someone what episodes would I force them to listen to?

Len fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

notsowelp posted:

This is a pretty :3: post making the rounds on tumblr:

She's either ridiculously short or he's ridiculously tall.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Serious Cephalopod posted:

We don't know their age or gender, but the guy who plays Cecil is definitely an adult and definitely tall.

Didn't read any of the words until after I posted that. But he/she/porpoise still looks short as hell. The words say he/she/porpoise is a small child but I have difficulty believing a small child uses tumblr.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Earwicker posted:

Have you ever been to tumblr?

I have not. I figured a large number of the users would be late teens though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

dj_clawson posted:

I actually don't want to get into a huge argument here for the sake of it - I like to imagine the cat as a normal cat too - but Cecil doesn't know what the moon is, doesn't know how long trees live, had his mind temporarily taken over by the Glow Cloud, and isn't sure if he spent a decade in Europe or not.

The world is flat all the way around too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We're going on a six hour road trip tomorrow and I was told to burn all of Night Vale to cd for the trip. Here goes hoping I can addict everyone I know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Finally caught up on the thread and it really is crazy to see how the show caught on since this got posted. I did manage to get one of my friends hooked after I "forgot" 11 cd's worth of Night Vale in his car so there's that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are you guys planning to bring the show to Ohio sometime? I'm way too far from the places they've been to actually even think abut going.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed that my Topoatoco order didn't come with a thank you note like my shirt did :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Annakie posted:

The new episode is out and if you haven't listened to it yet you probably shouldn't be reading this post.

Today's episode is the most terrifying episode yet.

Old woman Josie, the new intern being ascended to heaven, the football coach's tongue, and worst of all, Strex Corp is coming to Night Vale and they've already bought the radio station. Are they going to turn Night Vale into the new Desert Bluffs? What could be worse? :ohdear:

I'm kind of excited to see what could happen with the Strex Corp plotline. It would be neat if they started slipping in commercials or slowly bought the local businesses. Maybe we'll get a comment about how the new radio equipment appears to be made out of animal viscera. I also really liked the line delivery of the Strex bit at the end in how it was a 180 from Kevin. He said it and it sounded nice and soothing. Cecil saying it was incredibly sinister and evil.

I would buy an "Angels don't exist" bumper sticker. I don't know what I'm going to do with my current Night Vale stickers but I would buy another.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Action Yak Police posted:

I love Larry's catchphrase.

Pointless question about a tiny detail:
The Man in the Tan Jacket asks Larry Leroy about "his" farm. Since Larry answers by talking about the farm of John Peters (you know, the farmer), are we to assume that the Man in the Tan Jacket mistakenly believed that farm belonged to Larry? Is this in any way significant, like maybe it shows that he isn't all that familiar with the town, or am I just a big spergy idiot?

Maybe the reason it's always John Peters (you know, the farmer) is because everyone in his family is named John. So you have John Peters the plumber, baker, secret police officer (we don't talk about him though) and Night Vale has more farmers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Let me just say gently caress every single one of you who live near/can afford to go to places these shows happen. Nothing fun ever happens in North East Ohio.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dimloep posted:

True enough. We totally need to find a venue in central Ohio to host a show. Columbus *loves* indie artsy stuff, so while it might take a bit of searching, it can be done, I'm sure. Night Vale at the Newport would be crazy fun.

Canton has First Fridays which is the definition of indie artsy stuff. All the art district opens up there's fire dancers and drum circles it's kind of neat but then you would be in Canton Ohio which is a place no one wants to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is this the first mention of Cecils last name?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

The character's name is not, and never has been, Baldwin. That's the actor's name.

Have the Tumblr hordes started sending you hate mail for giving him a last name yet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

dj_clawson posted:

Yeah you just named the people on my playlist.

Mountain Goats would be AWESOME. Or just that one super-depressing song from Moral Oral.

Which one? Moral Orel used No Children, Old College Try and Love Love Love if I'm remembering right. None of them are really anywhere near happy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think he's talking about 'No Children', as that one seems to resonate the most with the show. To be completely honest, I want to know which one came first: Was 'No Children' inspired by Clay and Bloberta Puppington, or were they inspired by 'No Children'? Because it fits that well with the soul-crushing despair we all know as Season 3.

Also, 'Until I am whole', 'White Cedar' and 'Birth of Serpents' would fit well, but it'd be neat if they did a new song for the weather. Because the Mountain Goats are awesome.

Alright, enough of this TMG sperg-fest from me. One question I have about Ep. 33 is did Cecil's family move to Desert Bluffs, or were they taken there? Is Strexcorp's new interest in the town a piece of his past coming back to haunt him, or another hold-over from the actions of the Sandstorm? Or are these events unrelated strands of intrigue, winding sinuously close together, only to diverge once more against the razor blade of truth?

No Children came first by a few years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy tickets to the Pittsburgh show or not. Any hints on a potential Ohio show before that noon ticket sale time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish I could justify an 8 hour drive just to see a live show :( There really needs to be one closer to Ohio than Philly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DicktheCat posted:

I'm so mad right now. I found out that they were going to be in Atlanta today, and went to check it out. They're going to be here in March, and that poo poo is already sold out. I'm furious.

So which one of you fuckers is going to sell me their ticket?

Same question only with Pittsburgh. It's the closest to me at only about an hour and a half to two hours away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Excited as hell for that Columbus show I hope I manage to get tickets for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I got two tickets this morning for the Columbus show thanks for getting an Ohio show!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was told my bank doesn't want me to use pay pal when I tried to buy it just now :( I apparently have to call them tomorrow and find out why.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How do I make Condos appear in the same category as the rest of the series on iTunes? Like all I want is for it to be a podcast and be under the Welcome to Night Vale section. How do I make that happen?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheJoker138 posted:

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

PC. I set its audio type to podcast and made every possible thing I could fill in "Welcome to Night Vale" and the only way I could even find it was to make a smart playlist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: Nothing to see here. Google Maps apparently doesn't understand where "769 E Long St, Columbus, OH 43203" is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Action Yak Police posted:

Shout "goons" into the crowd and see what happens.

A million Tumblrites will go "What?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

On a relisten Cecil definitely talks about his :siren:boyfriend:siren: a lot at first but then less as time goes on and the newness wears off.

Although it's funny to me that the fandom likes the relationship so much for being low key and as a result stresses it the most.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For anyone going tonight is 8pm the door open time or the program start time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got complimented on my Night Vale shirt by someone outside a White Castle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not even in the place yet and I see a fedora.

Edit: A few fedoras in here. Up in the balcony because it had three open seats.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 26, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was a good show and I really enjoyed it. The noticeable "awwwwwwwwe" when Cecil and Carlos spoke was pretty unnecessary though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why are we spoiler tagging something that is out and able to be listened to by everyone?