Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Edit: how is she in second grade if she was born like a year ago? I guess it's weird time poo poo/born an adult body part already/who even knows.

It's only been a year for us, but time passes differently in Night Vale.

Seriously great episode, and it's going to be hard for me not to greet everyone with WELCOME TO COMPUTER for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The last few episodes have all been very good, but this one was something special. Definitely up there with the best of the series.

Cecil Baldwin's voice acting continues to be fantastic. The delivery of I HOPE THAT SHE WILL FIND YOU FIRST was amazing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

The hooded figures are marshmallow!

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EAT, LOOK AT, OR PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXISTENCE OF THE MARSHMALLOWS.

Probably safest just to ignore cereal altogether at this point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wait, what songs? The rest of you aren't hearing a weather report? What have I been listening to all this time?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is, at the very least, some vindication for the theory that Cecil's brain receives psychic transmissions from...somewhere.

Though I choose to believe that everyone in Night Vale is psychic and would look at you strangely if you so much as hinted that you weren't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

By a similar token, there are sometimes as many as three months during the year when Minneapolis is not a frozen wasteland.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Night Vale live shows generally run about 90-120 minutes.

Not that you'll be allowed to leave afterwards.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Knockknees posted:

I thought radio stations west of the Mississippi began with K.

"Mississipi"? "West"? "K"? Next you'll be trying to convince us about that "mountain" thing again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Action Yak Police posted:

One person had a theory that Night Vale is a nexus point for numerous different universes and that makes sense to me, especially with the subways and all.

Things like Dana's adventures since being trapped in the Dog Park and the house that doesn't exist definitely support this theory.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

An alternate theory: There was a sandstorm at the time, and the being who killed 15-year-old Cecil was 15-year-old Kevin giving his sandstorm buddy a big ol' hug. To keep the prophecies about Cecil and Night Vale Community Radio from going off the rails, the City Council and the Hooded Figures rebuilt him. Better, stronger, faster than he was before, but with a fair bit of memory loss due to trauma.

What I'm saying is maybe Cecil has bionic radio superpowers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It happened simultaneously before, during, and after every episode, including those not broadcast yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CherryCola posted:

Cool, thanks! I told them to at least listen to the first episode, because they at LEAST should know something about the dog park.

They should know NOTHING about the dog park.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To be completely unspoiled, you'll want to have listened up through Faceless Old Woman (and definitely up through One Year Later).

But yeah, Condos is pretty self-contained, it helps if you know who certain characters are, but could also serve pretty well as your introduction to them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Earwicker posted:

this may shock some of you but there are actually people who are into the show that don't really identify with any particular internet site.

Yes, but we don't talk about the adherents of THE BROWN STONE SPIRE. Where it can hear us.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rivers, like mountains, don't really exist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really liked this week's weather performer.

Also, at first when Cecil mentioned having a niece, I thought we might be in for something more about the brother he's completely forgotten about from the Cassette episode. But what we got was even better.

Also also, I would totally listen to/watch/read a spinoff about the Time-Travelling Interdimensional Adventures of Intern Dana.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

foxatee posted:

Hahaha! How did they get this idea? I honestly thought it was random hatred; the idea just tickled me pink.

I think like quite a lot of these ideas, it started as someone going "wouldn't it be funny if..." and spiraled out from there.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The episode was great, Cecil's voice actor really knocked it out of the park more than usual with some of those lines.

His delivery of Words...NO! had me laughing much harder than was strictly necessary.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is not the first time I have bought an album on the strength of the Weather, but this is probably the first time I've done so on the same day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dana...Daenerys...THIS MEANS SOMETHING

(It means nothing. There is no such thing as meaning.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I shall not look up. I shall not look inside. I shall not sleep. My god is not a smiling god and I am ready for this war."

Enough of that silliness, on to some different silliness.

After listening to this episode and giving A Story About You another listen, I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between the organization that employs the not-short/not-tall men that occasionally make hawk noises in response to orders, and the mysterious organization whose helicopters are covered in murals depicting birds of prey.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

About the latest episode I found it really out of character for Cecil to refer to himself as "innocent and kind". I think the narrator for "A Story About Them" was the actual Voice of Night Vale or something else entirely.

It could well be both. He said, also in this episode, that he sometimes has no idea why he says the things he says. (And other times he knows exactly why.)

quote:

I also think based on being seen by people who are about to die and Cecil's vision in "Condos" that the Dark Planet Lit by No Sun is Night Vale's god/Strex's archenemy

Who knew that the throwaway line "our god is an awesome god, much better than that ridiculous god they worship in Desert Bluffs" might actually have plot significance?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The future isn't foreseeable.

A fantastic episode all around, and not just for the obvious reasons. I think my favorite moment was the apparent return of Old Woman Josie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'm expecting that to come up in the next episode. It'll probably have Kevin broadcasting some sort of heavily euphemistic broadcast about Night Vale needing to step in line or else and he'll probably threaten Carlos at some point.

I'm actually wondering if the 'I SURE HOPE NOTHING HAPPENS TO MY SCIENTIST BUDDIES OUT THERE' bit from Carlos wasn't a bluff of some kind. He must have known about the insurrection (no way Cecil could or would keep it from him), and he must have known there was at least the possibility that a malevolent supercorporation wouldn't be brought down by an army of well-read pre-teens. He certainly knows by now that Strexcorp has threatened him pretty openly, and that they'd try to use him as leverage against Cecil if they could.

He might be planning to use the House That Doesn't Exist to remain free (and possibly plot an interdimensional science rescue) and what better way to do that than to provoke Strex into 'trapping' him there?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My wild theory is that the Masked Warriors are Tamika's militia grown to adulthood (and into a proper army), and that they will at some point escape from the penitentiary into the interdimensional desert in the relative past.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crain posted:

Yeah, I mean I know Cecil isn't going away forever. But I did like the idea of StrexCorp finally taking full control of the station and cementing that control by replacing even the tiny, ancillary stuff around the office.

Cecil's gonna have so much blood and hair to clean up when he gets back.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And a Minneapolis show! Smart move coming here during one of the three or so months that can usually safely be described as 'not winter', as opposed to our other three seasons of 'winter', 'winterer', and 'a giant wolf has eaten the sun'.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Annakie posted:

That episode was maddening, and frightening. At least Carlos is alive and not arrested. But where have all the doors gone? And the citizens of Night Vale are all at the eternal picnic. I hope Desert Bluffs gets liberated from Strex, too. :ohdear:

If the debate episode is any indication, there might not be a whole lot left to liberate.

No editing has occurred. The following portion of the post has always been here.

As much as I'm looking forward to the current Strex storyline coming to some kind of resolution/hoping it's doing so, I really liked/was terrified by the Kevin & Lauren Morning Show.

In particular, I just realized today that Lauren's very brittle cheerfulness reminds me to a disturbing degree of my current supervisor at work.

I just can't say enough about the quality of the voice work on this show. Cecil Baldwin is obviously brilliant, but I don't think I've heard a vocal performance yet from anyone that wasn't completely fantastic.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It cannot be said often or loudly enough what a treasure you guys have in your voice actors. I was going to go on about specific moments but honestly, I'd just end up quoting the entire drat episode and saying "the delivery of that bit there? That was amazing".

Okay I've got to call out, at least, Cecil Baldwin's delivery of the line about no more euphemisms. Gave me chills.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

Kind of surprised that Cecil is still adamant about angels/the mountain not existing when he's seen them in person.

The nonexistence of angels is a matter of Night Vale law, and particularly at a time like this, standing for law and order is important.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fantastic episode(s). I feel like I should have expected Steve Carlsburg to play a pivotal role, given the role that the similarly-reviled Apache Tracker played last year but the way it played out took me completely by surprise, in a good way. I was initially kind of skeptical about the initial reveal that Steve was Cecil's brother-in-law (or actually stepbrother?!?), because I loved the idea that Cecil had just taken against this guy completely at random, as he is occasionally wont to do. But drat if it didn't pay off.

I also loved the reveal, obvious in hindsight as it may have been, that Kevin had initially fought the Smiling God, and lost. It really sets him up even more as Cecil's analogue (and makes me believe all the more that Desert Bluffs was indeed an alternate universe Night Vale rather than just a neighboring town).

I'm kind of glad that the Strex story is over (though obviously the Smiling God/Unravelling Of All Things story is not). I loved it, but I'm ready for some good old-fashioned weirdness again. And there are certainly plenty of seeds for new storylines.

(Man, I just pictured the Faceless Old Woman and Hiram McDaniels on a McLaughlin Group like news chat show.)

I feel like I should send you guys a bill for all the music Welcome To Night Vale has made me buy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying the musical guest artist is Eliza Rickman. She mentioned she was doing at least the North American tour with WTNV, I'm not sure if that'll continue for the Europe leg.

Well now I'm looking forward to the Minneapolis show on the 15th even more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be there, assuming my bus from work can get anywhere near downtown. (I normally get in about two hours before the show starts so I am not terribly worried, All-Star Game or no.) I'll be the big hairy guy (wait, I probably have to narrow that down.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heh, yeah, I've decided I'm not willingly going to be the guy who says "you know that thing that brings you some fleeting joy in an otherwise tedious and possibly unpleasant existence at a time of life where everything seems horrifying and dramatic because hormones and development and trying to figure out where you fit into an uncaring universe? Well, quit enjoying it, because I find you irritating*". I still felt a bit awkward when it looked like I was going to be the lone dude with several decades under his belt in a sea of teenage girls with eyes drawn on their foreheads, though.

It passed. Partly because the crowd filled in, and partly because I went to see an excellent show, and I saw an excellent show. Two excellent shows, if you count Eliza Rickman's opening act as its own thing. She was, as folks have already said, phenomenal.

Without going into much detail, I thought The Librarian encapsulated the essential Night Vale episode experience better than any of the other live shows to date (and I liked the previous live show recordings a lot). And goddamn, Cecil Baldwin is one hell of a performer.

Y'all deserve to be proud of what you've made, and I'm so glad I got to go to the show.
___
*Though I might still find myself saying "the world does not really need to know what you think is sexy" from time to time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Leospeare posted:

Just Pamela Winchell, presumably. The dog park was new in episode 1.

I have a feeling there has always been at least one dog park-equivalent Thing Everyone Must Avoid in Night Vale.

I suddenly would love to hear a Night Vale episode set in the '70s, and not just for DISCO WEATHER.

Anyway, I thought this episode was another winner. I'm not with whoever wanted to see Cecil and Carlos break up, like, what the hell, man, but it's not surprising at all that there'd be some tension. Long-distance relationships are hard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

If you think that TV creators, comic creators, novelists, musicians etc. don't have fanbases full of entitled pricks I'm not sure what internet you've been using, but I'd like to go there.

Not that he's exactly a voice of sense and calm reason himself, but track down Xenogenesis by Harlan Ellison sometime, if you can. It's an essay he wrote in 1990 or thereabouts about how horrible certain elements* of SF fandom had been over the years to him and to many different authors of his acquaintance. It culminates with an account of someone attacking Alan Dean Foster with a glass full of carefully-collected warm vomit at a convention.

Bear in mind that he wrote this when the internet was still very much in its infancy, to the extent that it existed at all, and that these were anecdotes he'd collected from authors' experiences over the course of their careers. Where there are things to be fans of, there are fans. And where there are fans, there are terrible fans. This has almost certainly always been the case.

Ellison was very clear, in his introduction to the version of the essay that ran in Asimov's, which is the one I read when I was but a young'in, that he wasn't speaking of, or to, the vast, vast majority of fans. He observed that 95% or so of the people who read the essay would become mortified and feel guilty about their own behavior, and that those people almost certainly had no reason to feel bad. It's the other 5% who were totally oblivious to their horrible behavior that were the problem, and they almost certainly wouldn't get clued in by anything he wrote.

Likewise, I'm sure that 95% of the fans of Welcome To Night Vale, even the young and awkward and overenthusiastic and frankly a little strange ones, are lovely people who want nothing more than to express their enthusiasm to the world.

The internet does unfortunately function as a magnifying glass hooked up to a megaphone for that other, horrifying 5%.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

The podcast is pretty hard to explain to new people

When I was at the live show in Minneapolis, I heard a couple of ushers talking before the show. The conversation was broadly, "So, is this a TV show or something?" "Not exactly..."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So that was pretty excellent.

Obviously the Steve Carlsburg monologue is going to get a lot of attention, and deservedly so, but I thought the Faceless Old Woman bit was amazing. Also really liked the Michelle Nguyen bit, to the point where I don't want to say much because it will sound like I'm damning it with faint praise and it deserves better than that.

I love that Steve literally sees the world as a giant conspiracy wall.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think it's any of that, he's just weird in a way that doesn't mesh with the rest of the town.

In particular, Steve appears to believe that the things he knows to be true are secrets that only he can fathom. When, in fact, everybody knows where and how the government is conducting "secret" underground missile testing, the City Council announced weeks in advance that they caused the universe-shattering sandstorms, etc. So it's like he's got a divine mission to let people in on the incredible secret of the color of the sky and the sinister conspiracy that extorts money from people who drive too fast.

I (not-so) secretly hope we see Steve and Carlos become friends, much to Cecil's increasing frustration. Mostly because Cecil's frustration is hilarious, but also because the two of them might find some common ground in their unique perspective on the strangeness of Night Vale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

senae posted:

I'm assuming that's a reference to sandstorm b, where Kevin didn't get really angry at Steve's letter.

My favorite part about that was that Cecil told Steve he was absolutely right in the most hostile way possible, and Kevin told Steve he was full of poo poo in the nicest way possible.