Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

That's one of my favorite missions, as he's slurring his lines the entire time.

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'

I really hope, some day, they can pull off a Warriors Orochi: Empires game, and have one special campaign dedicated to Zhang Fei being your virtuous leader who wants to bring keggers and hangovers to Chinapan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fanservice for the same kind of people angry Tom Bombadil didn't make it into Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

One of my friends who plays Leauge of Legends pointed out to me that they just added borderline copyright infridgement skins for 2 of their characters.

Dynasty Warriors SA Thread: we report, you decide:

I looked at the images before I read what you wrote and I had the frantic, breathless belief for just a moment that either KOEI decided to make a Diablo-esque DW game, or that someone had modded Zhao Yun / Lu Bu into Torchlight.

drat you, and my hasty conclusions.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

Not a fan of the Wonder characters in WO3? Anime sliding is cool and a great way to keep your combo going.

Alas I'm a fan of those big meaty finishers that send jackasses flying, kill fast, and otherwise have recovery periods that throttle your combo-ability. Such is life.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jian-ifer Lo-pez.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

KOEI is a prostitute that adores having a launch era game with every console. If the XBox720 hits the scene later, it will have some Warriors iteration in its window. PSP had a DW game (poo poo game that got about 150 hours out of me). 3DS had SW:Chronicles (not poo poo game that got 200 out of me). PSVita got Next. Wii U got WO3. If the PS4 and 720 aren't simultaneous launches, they'll still get a KOEI game in the launch. If KOEI's smart enough to do one thing right, it's to make sure there's a launch window game because people will buy that poo poo due to lack of variety.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pureauthor posted:

Chronicles is pretty fun and frantic in a way I've yet to see other Warriors game match. Having 4 PCs on the field at once does that.

This is the part that makes it great. Most of your 'campaign' maps will only give you access to something like 2 or 3 generals at a time, but once you unlock free-play for a mission, you can re-do it with whatever generals you like, up to four of them. The four of them will pop in static spots on the battlefield. You basically toggle between which one you want to control by simply tapping their portrait down on the touchscreen. You instantly assume control of that general, and the general you tasked away from goes back to AI. There's a light bit of AI dictation you can do as well, so it's not completely lacking in strategy. Any given map is bloated with sub-objectives that are virtually impossible to hit until you open them up for free-play. It makes for some robust re-play.

Just like any other title that has this feature though, maxing out 'relationship levels' with your officers will take some mindless grinding.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

This is exactly the reason I've only got like one or two hours in the game. I'm too much of a sperg to be happy with only completing a third of the objectives that are constantly flashing up on your screen.

I know that feeling, I almost walked away from it too, but when you just cut loose and stop caring when you're just doing the first heavily-restricted run, then open it up for free play and come back to it later with a better levelled batch of generals, you can knock them out and relish the challenge.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Saith posted:

Yeah, I mean people say the writers hate Zhang He, but compared to Jiang Wei, it's barely anything. When he shows up in WO3, he literally gets killed immediately by a random grunt. Nobody notices until after the fight when Liu Shan's like 'Man, I feel like we're forgetting someone'.

And of course, during the Jin in DW7, he's portrayed as a super obsessive baddie. You can imagine him shouting 'I'll get you next time, He Man!'

Not that I'm complaining of course. Shu's easily my least favourite of the three.

I stop caring about Shu at the point that Guan Yu's out of the picture.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a whole other issue at work though: Say you were colonized by the English, and that sucked. Your country is finally coming up in the world and you have the opportunity to make a new official Roman character based writing system. Are you going to intentionally make it to cater exclusively to English speakers? It's not like English speakers own Roman characters, they are used a million different ways by people all over the world.

"So, defy ALL of them." :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just like anyone else adopting the a new character set for the first time (by themselves anyway), they wanted to make it their own. Is there something so wrong about that? As a speaker of another language, you have to learn how to use their writing system if you want to pronounce it right, just like with any other language.

There is nothing wrong I really see with it. I wasn't as seriously critical as you may have thought I was.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, just as someone trained in linguistics with a specialty in minority languages, many of which have been driven to near extinction by English, I get a little touchy when people say "why can't this language be more like English?"

edit: you didn't bring it up to start with though.

I can completely understand. If it's any consolation, I was at an Asian general market yesterday with my family unit, and we impressed the cashier when I had my 8 year old say 'thank you' in Chinese. At first she was a bit unsure if my boy really said what he did, then she lit up with a big smile, 'oh you know that word!' She was speaking Mandarin with a customer ahead of us, and while I couldn't understand a word of it, but many years of watching Korean / Viet / Chinese / Japanese with subtitles helps a person distinguish how a dialect sounds. I do my part to keep culture alive.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I dusted off my PS3 for Ni No Kuni, and now that the game's infuriated me, it'll be nice to have another reason to keep it warm.

edit: I do feel a little irked with Sony's declaration that PS3 PSN purchases won't migrate to the PS4. It's not the expectation I had at all, with how PSP PSN purchases were available for PSVita. Oh well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I call Dong Tuna.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dawnfire posted:

Phew, that's a big relief. Now my custom anime warrior can wield Lu Bu's halberd for Shu without issue!

Speaking of, I love that we can use Lu Bu's movset. I wanted to try something new for Empires, but I can't find any I like as much as that Halberd. Lu Bu's two musous's appeared to be incredibly overpowered during the demo. His aerial would one-shot everyone but Xiahou Dun. There's also something undeniably great about snagging a dude by the neck and tossing him into a group of his comrades with accompanying bombastic explosion of red lightning. :black101:

I only hope that someday the NPC's will be saying not to pursue me. :allears:

I more look forward to using Xiahou Ba's moveset on a CAW character that isn't a mincing whiny bitch.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TheBlackRoija posted:

Ok, who made McGoonerson?
A chubby little man complete with fedora, "wolf shirt" and jorts.

You got a good chuckle out of me anyway.

That sounds perfect.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Had some time to get into DW7:E. I learned real quick why everyone hates Lockup. Not only do your dispshit generals enjoy firing it off to trap you, they also seem intent on sabotaging base defense. There was one point last night where I was on my way to recover a base that was about to fall, I was passing through one of those chokepoint fortresses, my goddamn 'strategic advisor' Zhang Liao sets off Lockup to trap me in the base, and the base I was trying to save resulted in allied generals trapped outside it, and the enemy generals within. From rescue to recapture, thanks Zhangy.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kissekatt posted:

The tragedy is not that he slipped and died. The tragedy is that he had the temerity to think he had the talent to walk on slippery surfaces. IMBECILE!

Wow, poo poo, 37 years old even. He must've gone rear end over teakettle and landed on some kind of mysterious accupressure point.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

isk posted:

Goddamnit. The exchange of BAKA NE in the Sima Yi / Masamune Date mission in WO3 is legend.

I really enjoyed the stereotype-overlap characters hanging out together being bros-4-evah in WO3. I resented the 'good ending' denouement "Everybody goes back to their own times, and their original problems, and Orochi-land faded into a dream as the old resentments settled back in..."

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This game really looks strictly for fans. It seems so primitive, sterile and flat. Like they recycled the engine for the first DW:G and devoted the most attention to textures and effect sprites.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

tooooooo bad posted:

It's tied to character level this time, but the requirements are pretty low. Seemed like from the third stage of any kingdom's story mode on everyone available would be at a level that let them use all of their charge attacks. You finish unlocking things for a character at level 26 with their last musou and proficiency star.

Not surprising to hear about. It's a core mechanic of the proper iterations of the DW games to have a levelling system in which you earn, either by pure levelling or by paying in skill points / paying in money for better weapons, to get your extra attacks. I was actually surprised when in DW7:E I noticed right from the start, you get complete access to all attacks.

My favorite thing about DW7:E at this point, was discovering all the custom, 4th-wall breaking generals are out there to recruit. I delighted at seeing nods to A Game of Thrones, but I had to pause the game for a good five minutes when Your Mom requested to join my kingdom.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DW7:E, my CAS'd 'Affluence' ruler had her main trait change to 'Brave' on me... which I assume is in part to rushing the development of weaponry. Am I going to have to grind 'Affluence' activities in order to get her back onto an Affluence primary trait?

edit: I made a CAS guy to share online- a tiger-outfit fat guy named Roger. I don't think very many will get the Comcast advertisement reference, but I amused myself.

5er fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't, and I'm a Comcast customer. :blush:

Sorry Roger! You a tiger now!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't recommend SW3 at all. Something is just off about almost everything it does. Among other things, your allied officers all seem to have a third as many hit points as usual and will die off in droves unless you are right there protecting them, even mission critical ones. It was a very frustrating game that I sold after a week or so.

I never touched 3 and now I'm glad. It's funny considering I'm one of the thread's biggest advocates of SW:Chronicles on the 3DS.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just platted Basara 3 :hehe:

You must go to sleep with Mitsunari screaming "IIIEEEEYAAASUUUUUUUUU..." echoing about in your head.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Meme Emulator posted:

They should throw in a couple of Giant Enemy Crabs for good measure.

:golfclap: Very nice.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

Now that I have a PS3 I'm not going to be getting the 360 version like I did with 7. I'm not going to be shafted with XL only being released on PS3.

I would've felt shafted also, except DW7:E satisfied my itch for the XL content. The biggest gaffe that I thought DW7 vanilla committed was not shipping Guan Yu without his proper weapon. I still hate his EX, but that C5 sure makes up for it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gimnbo posted:

Wasn't Empires also only released on PS3?

Yep. I have both consoles. I just got DW7 on the XBox.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Call in that Ninja Gaiden team, I'm sure they can help.

If they go the Other M route, Zhao Yun can be revealed to be a woman when his armor breaks off, and every faction's story line will involve him getting distraught about Adou as a baby.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Honorable mention goes to Keiji Maeda, who was the Samurai Warriors equivalent of Lu Bu (if slightly less of an rear end in a top hat) before XL came out and brought in Tadakatsu. He's not quite as obscenely broken as either of his counterparts, but he's pretty good. Losing Steve Blum as his voice actor was a shame, though.

Keiji is probably a closer parallel, at least lore-wise. Lu Bu's Red Hare has a similar legend to Keiji Maeda's Matsuzake. Lu Bu was considered a wild, terrifying rear end in a top hat; so was Keiji. Keiji's introductory encounters in most of the games are confrontations you can often lose if he hits you only a handful of times, much like Lu Bu. Keiji was a loyal and respected retainer that died with his dignity intact, and Lu Bu AW gently caress IT.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kissekatt posted:

Pure valor and love. No sugar.

That is the angriest drink of Pepsi I've ever seen.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dantes posted:

People really buy that stuff ?

That is my reaction any time they put out outfit DLCs that put guys in high school uniforms.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I question if the people who voted for Wang Yi as a girlfriend really thought through the idea of having a gf who hates everyone and everything good in the world, and lives for nothing but dark, bloody revenge. Her special line for if she is killed by Ma Chao is especially troubling, she says "Look, everyone! I finally killed Ma Chao! You can finally rest...in...peace...." (dies)

edit: in DW anyway. I can't figure out where in the historical record, or the novel, that characterization of her came from. Little help?

It's people that want to believe 'tsundere' is a real thing, so that they can believe all the attractive real world people that spit on them are just masking feelings of genuine adoration. Oh and she's got massive jugs.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even notice she was supposed to be a tsundere until a while into the game. I thought she was just a competent leader that Sima Yi was very happy to see marry his idiot son.

edit: also her ground musou sucks (and both of them in 8) but her air musou is great. Same as Wang Yi, actually.

I didn't see it until folks dragged it into one of our megathreads :v And yes, I confused Yuanji for Yi :( Shame upon my ancestors.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Scyther posted:

I must second this. The PSP version of Orochi 2 is very solid and has a ton of game for you to chew through. I'll never forgive NEXT for having the main enemy officer in every single level be fought via the stupid touch screen duel. Every. Single. Time.

Touch screen EVERYTHING is what I'm not loving forgiving that game for. The next 'NEXT' better clearly state that touchscreen gimmick poo poo is either gone or optional.

The really pathetic thing too is that you can't navigate menu options via touch. That was absurd.

All that being said... I still put about 100 hours into the game :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

If it follows the pattern of other sequels to launch games on hardware with a gimmick like that, I bet it will.

That's sadly a fair presumption. But what I would personally like to see, is how touch screen mechanics were implemented on the 3DS, Samurai Warriors Chronicles. That game was a launch title and it was loving awesome! Give me a few generals afield that I can toggle between by touching portraits. Give me a battle map that I can touch an icon and get some data feedback.

I think the worst gimmick moment that NEXT had wasn't even touch related, it was every minigame that exploited the gyrometer. STEER A HORSE LIKE A DRUNK GRANNY THAT IS HALF BLINDED BY HER OWN URINE! AIM A BALLISTA BY WHIPPING YOUR VITA EVERYWHERE GIVING PEOPLE ON THE BUS THE IMPRESSION YOU'RE HAVING A SEIZURE LIKE THOSE GAME WARNINGS ADVISE YOU ABOUT! Want to change the settings and steer? Sure! Just hope you enjoy living in a hell of a poorly calibrated, hypersensitive right analog stick because we will force you to use the gyro gimmick UNTIL YOU loving LOVE IT!

I haven't even touched the game in a year and yet my petty outrage can boil fresh as it had then. I need better hobbies I think.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Your wishes for a gimmick-less DW on Vita might be granted, I've been told that the Vita version of Pirate Warriors 2 has a distinct lack of NEXTian "features".

Hooray! Though I was kind of hoping for an Empires or Orochi NEXT thing. I'll take what I can get.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

No one touches Dynasty Warriors for weird DLC costumes. No one.

I would touch that one only on the condition that Zhou Tai's musou was altered into a dance sequence from Moonwalker.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Courtesy of getting sent home from work due to being racked with a cold, and also courtesy of that cold sapping my motivation to do anything other than lay about on the couch and groan in pain, I figured the best use of about four hours would be to watch John Woo's 'Red Cliff' movies.

I enjoyed the character development, particularly Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang's qin duel, and rolled my eyes at typical John Woo ham-fisted visuals like, WE GET IT A loving TURTLE JESUS CHRIST, and of course the god drat white doves. But to be fair, I did enjoy the perspective tricks he pulled when Zhuge was recognizing the 'wings' formation and his fan was perfectly shaped for it.
I am pretty sure that anyone else in this thread that saw the movies, must've gone 'what in the gently caress?!' at Huang Gai's faked defection getting rejected as an idea (when it was pretty much pivotal to initiating the fire attack), and especially at Gan Ning's death. I don't think the rest of the movie was good enough to step that far out of the constraints of history. But then again I can get pretty neurotic about historic accuracy in entertainment media... which by some incredible magic can be gleefully suspended for the DW/SW games. I'm an rear end in a top hat that way I guess.

Question for you astute, scholarly enthusiasts of history. A friend of mine at work related to me that he thoroughly enjoyed details of Japanese history but pretty much knew nothing about China's 3 kingdom era. What is likely the best introductory book, in English I could recommend him? He's not a loving idiot but at the same time the subject matter can be sprawling, overwhelming and dry to tackle it from a historian's point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suben posted:

Hopefully we don't get screwed over on Samurai Warriors 4 next year like anyone who didn't own a Wii did for SW3.

I owned a Wii and I still wouldn't pick that game up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's the best one so far, even in spite of its new random mission mode thing being a pile of poo poo. They finally got rid of ALL weapon clones, and added a paper rock scissors system to weapons that actually makes having two weapons meaningful. The what if story scenarios are dumb as hell but pretty creative mission designs, and there are some tricky to get bonus objectives necessary to unlock them, like WO1 had but not 2 or 3.

Anyway it's good.

I'm eager as hell for this. Even if the 'what if' modes are stupid, it's still just plain more to do. The Warriors franchise has me conditioned with a really low-set bar for content as long as I get out there and can whup some clone army rear end.