Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'll try it on hard and report back then.

LOVE Hanbei's new design!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Tip for Warriors beginners: one thing I'm fond of is switching the buttons. Switch defend with call horse and special attack with map toggle. That way, defend is on the left trigger and special is on the right one. The controls feel so much better that way.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Chronicle mode is awesome.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh man, I can't get enough of Chronicle mode. It's the bees knees and has everything I love about Samurai Warriors. Can you co-op Chronicle mode?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If anyone wants to co-op with me on PS3 my psn is Himuroids.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm level 20 or so in Chronicle mode and I've got a sword that has 110 power. Chronicle mode is now way way easy even on Hard. May have to bump it to Nightmare.

Levels are slow because high levels absolutely decimate your opponents.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SirPhoebos' avatar is probably my favorite thing right now.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, she does wield the awesome power of the Christian God.

If only this were her theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsPGpCdQe8

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 25, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I haven't had a frame rate drop yet and I've been playing on ps3.

I love Nobuyuki so much.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Kai owns. Lover her personality, love her move set. I'm enjoying the game more by using the characters by their type. For example, Ina is a special type, so I use her special all the time. Yukimura is a power type, so I use his charge move set. Kai is a normal type so I use her normals a lot. I'm try to use hyper only when I need to, for example, for crowd control, or when I need to get a way FAST, or when I need musou NOW. The game is much more enjoyable that way when you leave hyper moves for mostly hyper characters. It takes restraint because hyper attacks have NO downside at all and can be easily abused, but it's making the game much more enjoyable for me.

Sanada storyline can be surprisingly tough too.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Calax posted:

Except that hyper mode can be easily blocked by enemy officers.

This doesn't change anything, because it still takes a lot of enemies NEAR the officer, giving you an edge and also giving you breathing room since you're being knocked back. Being blocked by officers is a good thing because it still helps clear the crowd and build your musou guage, and also by being a defensive tactic. Never mind that everything else BESIDES officers is abusable.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 27, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gimnbo posted:

It doesn't look like Koei has released any sales data for DW8 so I can only hope it did well enough. It's been pretty dry for me as a Warriors series fan since I swore off of consoles after the 360 and joined the PC master race poverty players.

It was on the top 10 when it first came out and often when it's on sale. Good sign?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Finished Sanada story.

The storytelling in this game is pretty bad. There's barely any sense of flow. Most stages have no purpose or the purpose isn't explicitly told. In the Sanada storyline, I was expecting this great build up to Nobuyuki v Yukimura given the fact that's what Koei is mostly advertising story-wise with this one, and it never happened. There's no reason given for Nobuyuki to join with Ieyasu. One map he's with the Sanada's, next map he's married to Ina and on the Tokugawa side. Then it skips 15 years to Siege of Osaka and I'm just left with a vocal "what". The end result feels half assed given that this took two Clans just to tell, without any motivations given. Historically, there are a lot of ideas and theories on why Masayuki and Yukimura joined the Toyotomi, none of which are explored here. In past Samurai Warrior warriors games, noticeably 2, they give the excuse of friendship with Mitsunari. Here? Nothing. Nobuyuki's reasoning is even more vague given his previous care for his family name and brother. He meets Ina just once in the story, weapons drawn, makes no mention of Tokugawa again, but suddenly joins him. It's poorly explained.

More than that, the finale duel cutscene between Yukimura and Nobuyuki was pretty lame. In history and folklore, it's been said that Yukimura became injured gravely, and became too tired to fight, so he ended up telling his opponents his clan and name, that he was injured, and that he would wish to die as an honorable warrior, to which his head was cut off. Past games did this pretty well (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_lwaplL08)Here, Nobuyuki and him fight. Nobuyuki doesn't even hit Yukimura with a blow. Yukimura doesn't even look tired. He just cartoonishly runs towards his death. it's loving hilarious.

Given that this was Koei's main advertised story for the story mode, I'm not too impressed. Oda's story campaign was similarly bad. I just can't help but feel like story mode is rushed. From the map design, to the actual story writing. It lacks that Koei zeal for me, which is striking because Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 particularly do a pretty great job of presenting their characters, their goals, and their stories, unlike Samurai Warriors 4.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nice bulge.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Chronicle mode loving owns.

Does a lion or tiger or train?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pureauthor posted:

Oi, you blighters, did this get posted earlier and I missed it somehow?

Because DW8 Empires is coming to PC.

Release date January 27.

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/dynasty-warriors-8-empires-release-date-pc-version-announced

The world we live in today is amazing. Finally, a place where I can play Japanese games on pc.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Portable Staplefrog posted:

SW4 seems good based on the little bit of Story Mode I've played. Also surprisingly difficult.

You're joking right? What clan are you playing as?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What is the best Musou of the past few years? Last one I played was Samurai Warriors 4 and I hated it because of what they did to SW, my favorite Musou series. I guess Zelda Warriors? ARE SW2XL HD or SW2E HD in English yet? Because I could just go with that.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Remarker posted:

They are not and probably never will be :(

Nooooo :smith:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Maleketh posted:

It depends on who you ask, but the front-runners are Hyrule Warriors, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

I love WO3 but haven’t played Ultimate.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
OROCHI 4 written by Murayama?!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is the Nobunaga’s Ambition on Steam now any good?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

i had some fun with it, it was ok

What’d you find fun and how is the ROTK?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I haven't played a Musou in years. Any good Empires releases lately? Need to check Hyrule Warriors.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

I picked up Warriors Orochi 4 after playing dozens of levels of Hyrule Warriors and it felt so slow, clunky, and complicated in comparison I probably didn't even get to the good part before I sighed and just put the disc back in the case for good.

Much like Crash Team Racing has left me unable to adjust to Mario Kart's controls, I can't go back to normal Musou games it seems.

Warriors Orochi 3 is the best Musou ever so this comes as a surprise.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

It plays just like WO3. The problem is that HW is way more fluid and interesting in its animations and maps, so by comparison, WO4 comes off as a downgrade.

Can you expound upon HW's map design? What's interesting about it? Are they big and sprawling like Musou of old? (Think SW2 here)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

The Gundam model has a stiffness that comes from the player being a giant robot, so you're already in the mindset. On top of that, the gameplay loop for the Gundam games was always about territory control, so the objective alongside the characters and models works really well.

Warrior Orochi games have always been very linear in their Story Modes, carried entirely by their narrative and setting. WO4 doesn't have a particularly good story to tell that wasn't told better with the previous trilogy, and the stages of DW8 and SW4 are just set pieces with weird routes this time around. "A war criminal sealed in time wants to die at the hands of the greatest warriors of history" is way more interesting than "And then Zeus showed up and thought that whole thing with the Hydra was really cool so he wants them to do it again to beat Odin." The gameplay loop is basically "take your squad, send them from what waypoint to the next, use magic and super moves to demolish whatever's there, and repeat." To me, it felt like I was driving a car around a battlefield, meeting ends that I had no motivation for. I still love Orochi games on principle, and I will see it through to the end for the sake of Da Ji and Wang Yuanji, but I'm not having "fun" the way that Orochi 1-3 made me feel.

They just have very good layouts, and the ability to sprint around them really helps that feel big but not overwhelmingly so. The areas really make it feel like you're in an interesting area set in the world of Hyrule and its surrounding lands, especially with areas like the temples. In the perspective of SW2, the Battle of Anegawa felt like I was fighting by a river with routing affected by the currents. In SW4, it feels like every other battlefield, except I can splash some water around. HW has that overall old Anegawa/Kitagahara/etc. feel, where as WO4 feels like a bunch of interchangeable SW4 areas with the same look.

This sounds great.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Played SW2 XL and SW2E tonight. Still the best.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Have no idea who Tencent even is.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

the biggest company in the entire world

Oh right, they own Riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I have no idea what "SSR Summer Wang Yuanji" even means/implies but already have a feeling it's going to be some weird poo poo.

SW2's Sugoroku with four players was more fun than it had any right to be, in no small part due to the absolute loving absurdity of it all.
"I shall destroy you all..."
-feebly rolls a 1-

I played some of that last night and it's still awesome. Felt like Ieyasu ai was cheating though