Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'll note that in SW2 it's either buy a horse or play as Keiji or Yukimura -- I'm not surprised that they granted that "ability" to everyone in SW2, nor do I mind, although I'll agree to liking how SW2 does it. I'll note though that one annoyance was in SW2 that even though I could end up evading to get around the enemy's guard, they tended to evade as well.

DW6 was the "try something new" game that didn't pan out, DW7 was the "try something new" game that did pan out, and it feels (from all the reusing of poses and faces) like DW8 is supposed to be a refinement of that; SW1 was also an experimental game I'd dare suggest with mixed success at best, while SW2 was also experimental but much moreso a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Though I guess the whole bias in Shu's favor has something to do with that too. Ah well.
Blame the source material! :haw: Seriously, lately I have a hankering for Ravages of Time: Musou Edition! Case in point: Dian Wei (scroll down since the images at hosted at Imageshack) or Dong Zhuo literally running hundreds of officials and Imperial relatives over with the Emperor's chariot that he's pushing.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm more confused why Guo Huai got put in Jin instead of Wei, besides the fact that that's where he died in the story...that still seems an odd reason to put him there. Anyway I didn't think the Jin campaign in 7 was even that great. I mean it wasn't terrible, more stages are always great, but nothing really super interesting happened, it was just "random generic officer is revolting, Jiang Wei is invading again, repeat three or four more times."
This is pretty much why most adaptations conclude with Wuzhang Plains.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 6, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I thought maybe they should have done a perspective of Later Wu and Shu, but since history dictates that Shu is being led by a crazy suicidal Jiang Wei who wants to keep smashing his face into Wei and Wu is being led by senile Sun Quan getting drunk and ordering random people killed, it would expose the fact that Wei/Jin ultimately won and unified China through loving up the least.
Well, DW7 already DID pretty overtly state the first part in the Jin campaign -- though in the traditional Chinese telling, the "right" thing to do was to be crazy suicidal smashing your face into Wei, while by the "4th" Invasion even the narrator is overtly tired of this -- while the bit about Wu... well, is it just me or did Wu have the most "like previous DW games" story out of the kingdoms in DW7? My friend's nicknames for the Three Kingdoms are "Team Green", "Team Cao" and "Team Awesome" for a reason...

I will note, Policenaut, that Sima Zhao's character shift was after both his father and older brother died, leaving him to inherit the family legacy of "IMBECILES!" :haw: Seriously though, even more than "more" Jin, I'd want Ravages of Time: Musou Edition just for the sight of a cleaved-in-two Dian Wei clinging to Zhang Xiu's ankle and ordering his severed lower half to kick Zhang Xiu to death.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Bao Sanniang, Guan Ping and Guan Suo have their new outfits up (and Bao Sanniang).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've decided I don't care much for Guo Jia's English voice. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but the dude sounds like he's got a bad cold or just got back from the dentist or something.
That's Fridge Brilliance if true, considering that he passed away soon before Chibi from what was apparently tuberculosis.

The GIG posted:

You shut your mouth. :mad:
Hey, 7 was the first time he got to wear the big boy boots and really lead his kingdom out from Sun Jian's shadow! :haw:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jibo posted:

Pokemon and historical hack 'n slash games? We're doomed!
Excuse me while I lol at the article missing every Warriors game since DW2. Also, this Daily Kos comment* (first after the obligatory Tip Jar) on DW6 screencaps:

quote:

OMG, it looks like a Final Fantasy game (0+ / 0-)
ie, one with abstracted and fantastical turn-based combat. Hardly a "murder simulator". Hell, the XCOM game I've been playing for weeks is more violent, and I assure you I'm an extremely poor risk to murder anyone.
Mind you, what they were reacting to, from the Daily Express (UK):

quote:

Chillingly, his favourite video game was said to be a shockingly violent fantasy war game called Dynasty Warriors which is thought to have given him inspiration to act on his darkest thoughts
* Though the Daily Kos diarist in calling the series "100% bloodless" clearly missed DW7 (thanks Sima Shi).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The best part about the Daily Kos piece (besides the reaction from someone who apparently had never heard of the series, who I quoted) is the reactions from "Kossacks" who do know the series:

quote:

DYNASTY WARRIORS?!?! (1+ / 0-)
I'm sorry, was he leading an army of elite Chinese warriors with a battle plan by Zhuge Liang?

quote:

You would think... (0+ / 0-)
...That if the guy we're going on a Dynasty Warriors-fueled rampage, he'd be screaming about the "Way of Peace" every few sentences.
Or "virtue", or "ambition", or "my paradise"...

quote:

Dynasty Warriors taught me more about (1+ / 0-)
ancient China than my history classes.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

I hope this means we get Sima Yan, or even if we don't at least have a level where the overthrow of Wei is playable. It was way too much of a cocktease when right after 7 ended it went "Oh yeah, Zhao's son started Jin right after all that junk you just did ended. But eh who needs to really see that?"
I blame it following the novel in that the fall of Chengdu and the failure of Jiang Wei and Zhong Hui's rebellion essentially wraps up the plot as far as the novel is concerned and thus everything else is an afterthought.

The GIG posted:

EDIT: And looks like they are still decloning the swords, with Zhao's being one that shoots shockwaves you can direct with different attacks. So looks like the only sword user without a new gimmick is Sun Quan. Of course. :smith:
Even now KOEI keeps him down :argh:

EDIT: They're not done hitting this angle :cripes:

quote:

BRIAN KILMEADE, GUEST CO-HOST: I don't know. I'm not as smart as Charles Krauthammer. I don't have a schooling of him. I will say this, I will say that he knew how to smash his computers and his hard drive, he knew how to get body protection, he also played non-stop video games, "Dynasty Warriors," which I understand is an especially brutal game. And these parents go through hell, it breaks up marriages, the number is staggering.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 19, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kreczor posted:

I should have asked before buying it, is DW7:XL worth it? I don't think I've ever seen worse acting in a cutscene before. It's absolutely brutal! Every single one is just the most corny love-drama of all time!
Back before he went quiet over a year ago before the DW7 release in North America, Noonsa seemed to suggest that it was that bad in the original Japanese too (the dialogue/acting/plot) and not just a bad localization.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's nice to see Air Musou attacks have some variety besides what had previously been basically jump charge "AOE centered on where you hit the ground" attacks, but I wonder if this one's going for a thematic/storytelling shift as well, or if the addition to Jin and corresponding plot changes (as well as reinterpreting all that came before them) in DW7 is as big of a change as we're going to see in this series.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is it that bad???

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

Extremely late on actually playing DW7 and hoooooly gently caress is Shu's story mode The Worst. Like I know they tend to get preferential treatment in the series and in the novel but DW7 seems to have ramped it up to obscene levels to the point where even the book would be like "dude, tone it down a bit would you". The Three Brothers are the greatest people ever and every officer of Shu is just oh so noble and purehearted but none moreso than Liu Bei who is far more good than Jesus Christ himself and if you so much as side glance at him then you're an irredeemably terrible person and Shu is so good that even their famously incompetent ruler Liu Shan is actually a beacon of righteousness. Also, Shu is powered by excessive amounts of benevolence and virtue.

I've never really liked Shu and thought they always had the more boring characters in the series but I kind of wanted to throw up the entire time I was playing their story.
Think of it this way: BLAME THE NOVEL. Although the game's got the stuff in the novel that would be outright contradictory by our standards (such as Liu Bei, Accidental Cannibal or Zhang Fei beating his men as the reason for his beheading or Guan Yu laughing off Wu's envoy resulting in Wu's change of alliances or even Zhuge Liang, Malicious Dickhead) but okay by the contemporary standards scrubbed out.

Suben posted:

Meanwhile Wu is just going to slide more and more into irrelevance with each game and late era Wu and dudes like Lu Kang may as well not exist considering they're getting Lu Su and Han Dang if the leaked roster is true, and it's been right so far.
In fairness, the 2010 live-action series has shown how to take Lu Su and make him kickass :colbert: As for your overall point though... post-Yiling Wu might as well not exist in the novel thanks to the Shu vs. Wei focus, so I'm not sure how much there is for KOEI to work with, considering the very specific story that KOEI's writers seemed to want to tell in 7.

Then again, considering how obviously the Jin story is a focus for DW7, I wouldn't be surprised if that was why the Shu story was so weak as to be almost self-parody.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In fairness, Ma Dai's assassination of Wei Yan was after Zhuge Liang's death.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

Sun Jian is great but apparently DW8 is going to have What If scenarios so I'd imagine "Sun Jian not dying" would be one of them. Really hope they do some more to differentiate the Yellow Turban Rebellion stages between forces if only to have Sun Jian's deal where he climbs the walls of Wancheng himself leading his army into the city to gently caress the Turbans up.
Alternately...

quote:

Sun Jian: Well son, seems the men could use some help at the walls. But if we are to do this...
Sun Ce: I know, Father... not a word to Mother.
Sun Jian: Good boy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Just finished off the DW7 story mode. I have to say, after having to grit my teeth and force myself through the latter part of the Shu campaign listening to Jiang Wei bitch and moan every step of the way, being able to kick him in the face and then ride him around the battlefield like a surfboard repeatedly as Sima Zhao was remarkably cathartic.

What a great game. If nothing else it's made me order the novels. Haven't even touched Conquest mode yet. Can't wait for Empires.
Be advised that the novel is the Shu campaign minus the catharsis.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I'm pretty sure literally everything about HnK2 is just them making it up.
This is pretty much the only way I can imagine that Hokuto no Ken 2 was written.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The weirdest thing about HnK for me is just how soon after the apocalypse it takes place, like ten years or so. What on earth were all those people doing back in the normal, modern Japan? Were all those guys with spiked shoulder pads and mohawks normal salarymen back then, or what? And were there people all over the modern world running around offing each other with super magic martial arts head exploding poo poo? I totally want to hear more about what life was like before the bomb in HnK world.
There's been some seemingly-licensed character-centric mangas that have focused on the period before the original anime/manga such as Yuria Gaiden and Jagi Gaiden (which has a one-shot of Ryuken on the day of the bombings) while Raoh Gaiden got both a thirteen-episode anime and a Japanese PSP fighting game.

Otherwise, Fist of the Blue Sky is the only one from Buronson himself.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

These are actually the correct pronunciations. Pinyin (and Wade-Giles) are only approximations of how Chinese words/names would be spelled if they were in English. There are many sounds that just don't exist in both languages. For years we had COW COW, much to the chagrin of any Chinese person who happened to hear it. The finally fixed Cao Cao for DW 6 but missed a ton of other, less offensive names (like Sun Ce and Sun Quan). Finally for 7 we got all the names in the correct(ish) pronunciations and even the women with their names spelled correctly (Yueying instead of Yue Ying).
This is probably an odd one for Westerners, but at least three of the female characters -- Zhenji, Daqiao and Xiaoqiao -- outright do not have given names ("Lady Zhen, Elder Qiao and Younger Qiao respectively), while Yueying's isn't mentioned in the game (in folklore it's Huang, I believe, as the daughter of the same Huang Chengyan who in the novel guides Lu Xun out of the Stone Sentinel Maze) and Sun Shangxiang comes from folklore, being just Lady Sun in the novel while the 2010 live-action series outright has her referred as "little sister Sun" and "wife Sun".

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 13, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
DW7 for PC is JP-only it seems but it came with the Xtreme Legends content included as "Dynasty Warriors 7 with Xtreme Legends", and here's a look, and apparently there's an English patch!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's hoping that this ends up being an available DLC option for the DW7E English release.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
And Musou/Kakusei Rabu videos... so, so much combo-ending knockback :gonk:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

No clue, guessing they wanted something really different when they added him. Historically/Novel, there's nothing to suggest that he was all that stupid or primal. If anything a sort of arrogant type with personal ambition would probably fly better. Basically, Zhong Hui's characterization is probably more fitting.
It's more that Wei Yan's loyalty is to Liu Bei himself rather than Shu as embodied by Zhuge Liang -- which is what makes him the "bad guy".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

Dian Wei is bald just to be different from the other characters. They do lots of stuff just to bring some clarity to each member of the cast.
Which is pretty important considering how often "warrior who would end the chaos and bring peace to the land" is the by-far most dominant personality trait... if not some characters' de facto ONLY personality trait.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a PC, but not a 360 or PS3 currently. 6 is the newest Dynasty Warriors I can get if I want it in English, correct? I'm doing a term paper on the Three Kingdoms period as represented in video games(teacher's idea, not mine, shockingly) for an Ancient Chinese History course I'm in, so I want to play the most recent one I can. Also any other suggestions on PC, Wii or PS2 Three Kingdoms themed games would be appreciated, I'm already including RotTK XI and Sango Fighter.
There's supposedly a fan translation patch out there for "Dynasty Warriors 7 with Xtreme Legends" for PC which was otherwise Japan-only, but 4 (as Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper) and 6 were the only ones with official English releases besides Online.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's the Treasure Box edition! Game, OST, art book... and a LED crystal paperweight with colors for each kingdom.

We've also got scans now for: Wen Yang and Zhuge Dan, Lianshi (Lady Bu) and Sun Quan, and Guo Jia, Jia Xu, Huang Zhong and Pang Tong.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There definitely seems more variety in DW8's "same weapon type" movesets, which is nice if that's alongside the EX attacks which was previously the only character-specific variety in DW7 along with Musou Attacks... and the most LOL moment was to see Ling Tong's "rocket chainsaw lance".

Not sure how I feel about Xiahou Yuan getting back the club with the bow only appearing for charge attacks, though I'm guessing that he can also get a bow as its own weapon... but is that Zhuge Liang with a persistent-energy-sphere for a Musou that allows him to perform regular combos? I think it is... while Sun Jian is continuing further along the path of Cool Dad(tm) :colbert:

I'm still disappointed how it seems everyone's new ultra attack ends in AOE knockback, but that's just because I want to chain those combos as high as I can and I dislike combo-breaking moves.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

Basically. I'm still irritated I'll never get a chance to play SW3 given that 2/2XL is my favorite Warriors game.

I've always liked that the characters in the SW games seem to have a little more personality to them as well. The Dynasty Warriors characters always seem a bit flat in comparison to guys like Shingen.
It helps that SW1 had a much smaller cast, so everyone stood out at least a little more, even if that was simply because the different archetypes each had less characters.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The thing is that 7's English voice acting was at that point where they were still getting bits wrong (most noticeably zhong) but had gotten down the basics pretty damned well... it wasn't completely on yet not so off as to be hilarious.

The GIG posted:

To be fair, pretty sure Han Dang makes up for most of the pretty boys:

For all the jokes about Wu as the pretty boy kingdom in the day, they were actually relatively balanced out even before 7 thanks to Sun Jian and Huang Gai; it's Jin that took the title away, and I thought these Tumblr jokes were actually pretty funny in context... though I'd add that the "second generation" themes of 7 and 8 just gave even more of an excuse for every kingdom (two words: Guan family) to get their share.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, there is that, but like I said it's endemic across Japanese games, even ones that don't have very many female fans. It leads people to speculate that lots of Japanese devs just plain don't know how to make any other kind of character.
I can perfectly believe this about both Japanese and American/Canadian/European devs alike.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Nier was a blatant case of "Japanese devs and what they believe Americans want to play as"... to the point that, quoting Sankaku Complex (COMPLETELY NSFW): "Square Enix actually made two games rather than have to risk releasing an insufficiently masculine lead to supposedly testosterone loving American audiences."...

quote:

Yoko: At first we were just doing the youthful protagonist version (which became “Replicant”), but Square Enix started taking talking about international markets during development.
Yoko: In fact, an argument erupted at Square Enix’s Los Angeles studio, over whether a thin looking male character [hereafter translated as “girly”] was possible for the game. For the North American consumers, it was decided to provide a macho main.
Yoko: A heated discussion ensued once the American and European staff were gathered to discuss it. It was said that “A slender and girly protagonist like this couldn’t possibly swing a huge sword like that, it’s ridiculous.” Certainly, if you look at American games it’s always muscle bound mains who look like they play American football.
Saito: We thought that as it’s a new IP, it really must sell, and we were persuaded [by the Japanese staff’s desire to make a girly lead] – we opted to leave the Japanese version with the girly character, and instead make two different versions.
Saito: We did realize that not all international audiences are the same though – it was thought that Replicant [the girly version] might be suitable for the French, as they have a greater appreciation of Japanese culture.
Yoko: That meeting was pretty amazing. A lot of people were arguing for making only the macho old guy version for cost reasons, and we [the Japanese developers] were saying “But if we don’t make a girly version we’ll lose heart and it’ll take even longer.”
Then again, same industry where they had a panel about "American video game design 101 for Japanese devs" panel in 2010... quoting because the link is Sankaku Complex and thus completely NSFW:

quote:

The importance of “believability” is strongly emphasised in the North American market.
Why are American characters always older guys? This can be explained with reference to “believability.”
For a protagonist who triumphs against adversity to be believable in the eyes of players, they want him to be tough and highly experienced.
This isn’t limited to characters – in “Fallout 3″ you see the example of Nuka Cola, which gives health when drunk but also poisons the body with radiation. At first this doesn’t seem realistic at all, but when you consider the setting is post-apocalyptic it becomes “believable.”
Also from 2010, a Fallout: New Vegas ad mocking JRPG cliches (SFW).

I don't forget that Americans had also weird-rear end views of 1980s Japan when trying to "catch up to Japan", but the boldfaced part still strikes me as :psyduck:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

I really hope we get more interactions between those two, because they really were hilarious together. And since they're fleshing out Jin more they should give us more interaction between the Jin cast and Wei, mostly because things like Guo Huai's admiration for Yuan and Deng Ai's loyalty to Sima Yi sort of ring hollow when they don't really interact.
Wasn't Zhang He's one playable appearance in 7 "For Xiahou Yuan!" at Mt. Dingjun? Admiration for Yuan's a bit of a running theme in 7.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

edit: all that being said, I wouldn't trade anything for the loving bizarre and entertaining 'friend' dynamic he has going in 7 with Xiaohou Yuan.

double edit: :respek:Chortles
Didn't he have some of that going on in 6? I remember that back before, the fandom in Japan mainly seemed to associate him with Sima Yi...

Incidentally, I believe that 7 is also the first to acknowledge that the Xiahou cousins (Dun and Yuan) are Cao Cao's cousins? (Cao Cao's father was Xiahou Song, who was adopted into the Cao clan and became Cao Song.)

Also learned over the weekend that Zhenji isn't a given name but rather "Lady Zhen" -- while the Chinese localizations of the games despite using the Japanese voice track that calls her that (as Shinki) use some of her folklore names such as Zhen Mi or Zhen Luo.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Zhang He's a better character when they make him more than just fabulous, and show him competent as hell as I believe he is in the novel and in history(is he even really fabulous in the novel?)
After the burning of Wuchao, Zhang He offered that he and Gao Lan lead a relief force (to Wuchao) and correctly intuited that Cao Cao would have left a defense at his own main camp, but advisor Guo Tu disagreed so Yuan Shao sent Zhang He and Gao Lan with five thousand soldiers... however, after the return of the defeated army from Wuchao (both the defeated relief force under someone else and I guess the troops from Wuchao) Guo Tu promptly covered his rear end by accusing Zhang He and Gao Lan of secretly wanting to defect and using Yuan Shao's order to attack Cao Cao's main camp as the opportunity -- which caused Gao Lan and Zhang He to defect for real!

Gao Lan posted:

Our lord has allowed someone to malign us and say we have been bought by Cao Cao. What is the sense in our sitting still and awaiting destruction? Rather let us surrender to Cao Cao in reality and save our lives.
Zhang He agreed, and so Cao Cao accepted despite Xiahou Dun's suspicion.

From there he's the second guy to intercept Zhao Yun at Changban and actually causes Zhao Yun to flee right into a pit trap* (only for Zhao Yun's horse to escape it and spook Zhang He into breaking off the pursuit), after Chibi he shows up as an archery contestant who gets a bulleye while turning backwards in his saddle, and then years later after Mt. Dingjun, his warning to Sima Yi of a possible ambush by Zhuge Liang is overruled and results in his death.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Of course, this pretty much goes for any character, it's just the problem of having a million and one characters - it's really hard to flesh them out with so little screen time and without stepping on another guy's archetype.
This is the problem with continued DW installments -- and if you ask me, we ran into this as early as DW4!

I don't believe that the Samurai Warriors series would be that far off if they keep it going for as long, but it helps that they started with a far smaller cast.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

How do you really make Pang De and Xu Huang different?
Simple: Huang Gai gets to beat people with a canoe? Pang De should be beating people with a coffin and declare as his main line: "I'm coming back with my coffin or in it!"

* Even in the novel, everyone else except Zhang He at Changban was quickly defeated, routed or couldn't catch up -- Zhang He stalemated Zhao Yun long enough that Zhao Yun decided to flee rather than further risk Liu Shan's life.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Actually, in the novel both with the ambush from which he was killed and the ill-fated attack on Cao Cao's main camp after Wuchao he's depicted as correctly reading the situation but being overruled and ordered into trouble by an overconfident or strategist, while as I said before everyone's a mook at Changban except for Zhang He -- even allowing that Zhao Yun was burdened with Adou (Liu Shan), Zhang He alone forced Zhao Yun to flee instead of simply fighting his way past, and Zhao Yun only escapes on account of a deus ex machina; hell, before Wuchao Zhang He stalemates Zhang Liao in personal combat for a bit before Gao Lan and Xu Chu join in.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

As fun as reading Romance is (especially now that I have a sense of who many of the characters are), I'm really curious to read a more factual accounting of the Three Kingdoms era. I'm particularly curious about anything written recently.
While there's bias both for Wei from the client (as the intermediary between Han and Jin in the line of succession) and for Shu from the author, a former Shu official turned Jin historian, Chen Shou's Records of the Three Kingdoms is as close as you'll get, having been compiled at least a few years after the fall of Wu. In the 400s CE Pei Songzhi annotated it (completed in 429) with his own commentary, corrections and sources.

Incidentally, in describing the ancient country of Yamatai, the Wa people and its queen Himiko, it's apparently the oldest surviving historical document to make explicit mention of Japan -- and that's where we get Himiko from the Warriors Orochi series from.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The funny thing is, I think the perception of Liu Bei as a less-than-helpful ally is actually brought up in RTK more than once, and I know that it definitely comes up at least once or twice in the 2010 live-action series -- "why invite him? Just look at the pile of 'allies' he's left behind!" Heck, I believe in the 2010 series Tao Qian is brought up as one of them, although an earlier episode does validate the official story.

I'll agree re: Suben about the inherent biases of histories, and in the case of Sanguozhi that's before you read a Pei Songzhi-annotated edition and wind up with his own "biases by source selection".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

Man, I would complain about Huang Gai getting a Brainbuster instead a more gonzo wrestling move, but then I remember that his second Musou is the Kinniku Buster and that makes up for everything.
Please understand that it's a basically a brainbuster/vertical suplex that somehow causes AOE knockback... and then Huang Gai's metal canoe/"iron boat" falls onto his victim!

SirPhoebos posted:

Man, I thought Liu Bei in Dynasty Warrior was a rube. His depiction in Romance makes the DW Liu Bei look Machiavellian.
And here I was thinking that the DW version was making his novel version look Machiavellian and that the DW version was deliberately whitewashed... seriously though, what you describe had some people wondering if the novel version was actually written to subvert the supposedly-intended "saintly" characterization by making Liu Bei so over the top as to be unbelievable... which probably helps with explaining why a bunch of the popular folklore about Shu rests on other characters besides him.

It doesn't help (re: the novel) that novel Zhuge Liang is, frankly speaking, a dick and some of his more famous moments from the novel are about being a dick (i.e. taunting Zhou Yu to aggravate his ulcer and his appearance at Zhou Yu's funeral)... and there's the circumstances surrounding Guan Yu's return after Chibi: if he needed Cao Cao alive as a deterrent against Wu as DW7 claims in the Shu story, he never bothered telling Guan Yu that part -- and at one point I remember him admitting to Liu Bei that he sent Guan Yu simply to keep him from whining about being left out... which, considering the forced "I swear to catch Cao Cao or my life is forfeit" oath, makes Zhuge Liang a major dick.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I guess it depends on the scene, but I just got to the part where Lu Bu goes to him for refuge and literally the first thing Liu Bei does is offer him control of the province. :psyduck: Lu Bu doesn't even threaten him. His first words to him are "Hey, how would you like to be Imperial Protector? Here's the official seal and everything! :downs: "
It is however consistent with his own initial refusal upon Tao Qian's death, and as one of the ThreeKingdoms.com comments notes, Liu Bei effectively gained Xu Province "just" by being around while Cao Cao is away in the wake of the Yan Province conflict, a succession which immediately draws Cao Cao's ire... although Xun Yu talked Cao Cao out of immediate reprisal, why wouldn't Liu Bei try to relieve himself of the burden of his "rulership" of Xu Province making him a target and make it Lu Bu's problem? It doesn't help that "the people (supposedly) want him as their local ruler" is his only substantive asset...

It may also be that this is what was supposed to pass for "good guy" behavior in the time of the time that the "modern" incarnation of RTK (the Máo Lún and Máo Zōnggāng edit in the 1660s of the "original" 1330-1400 RTK by Luo Guanzhong)... but that we would view it as either ridiculous or, in my case, with an ulterior motive.

Also, Sparking!!! 2659 CHAIN :stare:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Schubalts posted:

That mission where it's you against everybody else in the entire game and then Lu Bu shows up at the end :allears:
Isn't DW6 Hulao Gate also Lü Bu, Zhang Liao, Diaochan and Chen Gong versus everyone else?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Replaying Dw7 now that I got XL, particularly the Conquest mission "The Two Qiaos", makes me wish there was a similat mission for Liu Bei marrying Sun Shangxiang, with him :psyduck:ing the entire time.
Alternately... this?

quote:

"Master, you must use the sword to take the veil off your bride if you wish to consummate the marriage."
"What if I can't take it off?"
"Then please leave and avoid further embarrassment."

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

During the Wei campaign, I always found it strange that Cao Cao was all :qq: for Dian Wei but hardly mentioned the loss of his oldest son, Cao Ang.

But now I'm reading Romance and he acts exactly the same way, so at least Koei was consistent in that regard :v:

Ambivalent posted:

I think that is sort of a trope of the Martial Romance genre - even bonds of blood or family are outmatched by the bond of comrades or a lord and his vassal etc. etc.
Actually, Liu Bei somewhat draws an analogy when Zhang Fei attempts to kill himself in shame after losing Xiapi to Lu Bu -- "The ancient had a saying: 'Brothers are as hands and feet; wives and children are as clothing. You may mend your torn dress, but who can reattach a lost limb?'"

Saith posted:

It's much worse when it comes to Liu Bei, Zhao Yun and Liu Chan.
And of course this, which is exactly why it's completely omitted from the DW series, unlike Dian Wei and Cao Ang's deaths (and that of Cao Cao's nephew Cao Anmin though I don't recall if that happens in the DW7 version of Wan Castle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

My favorite part of VIRTUOUS SHU in DW7 is how it completely omits that the reason Zhang Fei's men killed him was because he was a physically abusive drunk who'd beat the poo poo out of them and they finally had enough of it.
Or that for all of Zhang Fei's suspicion about letting Lu Bu into Xu Province, he's the one who gave a casus belli by beating Lu Bu's in-law for trying to use that relation to get out of being forced to drink by a drunken Zhang Fei -- which was more or less what Liu Bei predicted would happen if he left Xu Province! (Liu Bei was marching against Yuan Shu.)

This one's more subtle, but I'm pretty sure that Zhang Fei subsequently stealing about a hundred and fifty horses that Lu Bu's officers had just bought was what first permanently cracked the Liu Bei/Lu Bu alliance... and this after Lu Bu's shot at the halberd to prevent the clash of Yuan Shu's army (under Ji Ling) against Liu Bei's army. Cue Zhang Fei blaming Lu Bu for "stealing" Xu Province in the first place with no mention of why Lu Bu had attacked in the first place. :rolleyes:

Then again, I think novel Liu Bei is actually smarter (and ironically more self-serving) than DW Liu Bei.