Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gundam 3 is a shitload of fun but wears out its welcome super quickly because the stages are all small and basically the same. It's kind of a bummer, but I loved it while it lasted. If they could mesh its gameplay with the stages from its predecessors it'd be pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope it's better than 6 Empires. :colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The PC version of DW7 plus XL showed up in the Steam files at some point but that was a pretty long time ago so who knows.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Don't see what's so unusual about it. They've done their Xtreme Legends thing and they're about to put out Empires. They've even put out the requisite Orochi game built on its framework. They've checked all of the boxes on DW7. Not like Koei has anything else to make.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard eurogamer say that bladestorm was really good a while back. Is it worth tracking down?

It's pretty cool but don't expect it to actually play like a Dynasty Warriors game. I don't really want to spew a big essay in here about how it works but you should definitely at least read the Wikipedia article on it before you go looking for it. One thing I'll say that Wikipedia won't: bad bad framerate. If you're extra sensitive to that kind of thing you might want to pass on it. It was on 360 games on demand a while back, I assume it's still there and horribly overpriced as a result, but I had a pretty good time with it and thinking about it now I kind of want to go back to it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Don't suppose anyone has played or heard much about the JP version. I'd really like to know how it compares to 6 Empires, which I thought was pretty disappointing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope they do another one and successfully manage to fuse 2 and 3 together. Gundam 3 is so much fun to play but the maps really bring it down.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Also +10 points for Nobunyaga being in it.

FWIW he's in 7 Empires too. :toot:

edit: Oh that's literally what you posted. So...hey check out this picture of that thing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 14, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Characters in WO3 apparently only comes in two varieties, horrendously overpowered or virtually useless.

Are Koei having a laugh with how boring and crap Yukimura Sanada is in that game because he's the 'main' character in Sengoku Basara?

Probably has more to do with the changes they made to characters for DW7's larger enemy groups. Every DW character is a complete beast while most of the SW characters are a lot more low-key, with fewer attacks that just destroy everything on screen, because that's how SW games still play (maybe as a consequence of being made for the Wii? Just sayin).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kind of feeling like I need to play Kessen 2 now.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Speaking of fantasy Dynasty Warriors, anyone ever play Mystic Heroes? It was kind of neat. OK the voice acting was an atrocity, but still! It was my first exposure to the Dynasty Warriors formula. :kiddo:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That framerate news is heartening.

I was recently reminded that DW7 actually had a pretty cool story mode. So now I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with it in DW8. I don't think they've shown any of that off yet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Anyway here's a new trailer for DW8. It's for the hypest of all the kingdoms: Jin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs5NYfinyj8

And since I've got your attention, you can check out a bunch of character demonstration trailers here.

Looking forward to the continuing bodacious adventures of Sima Zhao and his anime girlfriend. Just read that they're going to be selling it on JP PSN as well as in stores...which I now kind of regret finding out. :ohdear:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they'd release this stuff on PC.

They do! Just not in English anymore. :smith:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I woke up early so I could start the download and have DW7E ready to play when I got home from work...only I can't find the game on Playstation Store. Am I missing something?

The store doesn't update at midnight. Try again about twelve hours from now.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone found any deals on Japanese DW8? I want it but I definitely can't afford $100, when you throw in shipping and all. Maybe it's hopeless.

I think it's coming out on PSN on the same day? I read that on Koeiwarriors at one point but can't find it now. The Koei wiki thing mentions that "The downloadable version from PSN temporarily needs 38GB for the initial download but only 19GB to permanently store" though which sounds kind of concrete. No demo is that large. So if true you could buy it on Japanese PSN to save on shipping? If you need JP PSN card codes zmcnulty in the PS import thread offered to pick them up for less than what you'd typically pay ordering them from a website.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Being able to browse through other peoples' created characters is the best new dumb feature. I wish they would go the full Dragon's Dogma and let you gift dumb poo poo to people through their officers. Hey kidd_swagga, your "200AD Tyree" really earned this.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

The pop-in and framerate aren't that great (I expect such things from these games, hopefully they'll have a constant 30fps with a ton of poo poo on screen with the PS4) but it's just a far better designed game than Empires 6.

You shouldn't! DW7 and Orochi 3 are the worst performing ones in a long while. Gundam 3 was at 60fps basically all the time. It sounds like they've at least attempted to address it in DW8 but it's impossible to say with only 30fps videos to look at. Wish they'd put a demo out.

It is a much better game than 6e though. I kind of wish that created characters would "learn" moves the way characters do in other games. You know, the way you get longer combo strings as you level up or whatever. I like that sense of growth. Lot of fun anyway, stayed up way too late playing it last night.

Question: do your character's stats increase? I can't tell. If so, how?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Random: you know what would be interesting? Old maps in the new style. Maps/objectives/etc from say 4 or 5, but re-tuned(enemy count and such) to fit the new standards of Dynasty Warriors.

The one that comes to mind is DW4's Nanman Campaign(It'd either be "REVENGE!" or :gonk:), but I'm sure there are other versions people would like to see.

No no no I never want to suffer through DW4's Nanman stage ever again. :qq:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

So I feel like maybe I should have read the instruction manual a bit before I started playing. Running a CAW through the Yellow Turban Campaign scenario, and the whole "vagabond/subordinate/ruler" stuff has me a bit confused. I ended up joining Sun Jian and helping put down the rebellion, but now I'm wondering where I go from here. Zhang Jiao's finished, I'm trying to complete assignments and wondering when I get rewarded for them (was supposed to skirmish with a neighboring province, did so, and nothing ever came up), and in general I guess I'm still trying to figure out all the changes between this one and DW5:E.

You'll get the reward for completing the assignment you chose when the next war council rolls around. Twice yearly IIRC.

As for what you should be doing now? You could be participating in battles to expand your ruler's territory, gaining fame as you go and increasing the chances of being promoted, which will give you greater freedom and capacity to influence policy. Or you could be forming stronger relationships with other people and building your own personal force in preparation to seize the throne. You could just be working to unlock access to better weapons and stratagems, doing skirmishes to earn some money and fame along the way. Maybe a mixture of all three?

Unfortunately I don't think you can just resign from a faction and strike out to make your own kingdom because they added that option in the last update the jp ver got and for some reason we're a version behind. I guess if you revolt that basically accomplishes the same thing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DW8 is out on the Japanese Playstation Store now.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

Ha, I know. I thought about mentioning that. Yellow makes you look like you're in the YTR or you're chilling with Yuan Shao and purple makes you're with Wei.

Although, I forgot to mention that the thing that's more shameful than the lack of colors is the fact that there are only like four or five facial hair options and most aren't that great.

Koei, give me a beard pack.

There are a handful of additional facial hairs as DLC that you can look forward to buying months from now as Koei trickles out the substantial amount of DLC this game has as slowly as possible. :negative:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

So are there no health pickups in Skirmishes? It seems like Skirmishes are harder than invasions or defends if that's the case. Actually the game as a whole seems harder than DW7 since you're not constantly getting your stats upgraded and the only people who can drop powerups are officers.

Officers in skirmishes will drop health items as soon as they put out the 1.03 update. No idea why they didn't include it at release considering that it does a lot more than just fix bugs.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Is there any notes for this anywhere/any ETA on it?

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_7:_Empires/DLC
Bottom of the page.

No ETA. For all I know they'll never put it out, but that would be weird considering that it's already made.

Pictures of all of the DLC clothing and stuff at that link too.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The GIG posted:

1.03 only just came out like a week ago in Japan is probably why.

Oh that does explain it. Hope they get it out soon.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Normal is pretty easy but if you kick it up to Hard every officer has health for days and murders you in three hits. Really wish there were some middle ground there. Or, heaven forbid, changing difficulties did more than just move a lot of numbers up.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Is there some sort of system in place that puts officers from other empires into your game more prominently?

I realise that sounds odd, but basically I started the yellow turban thing as a free agent then joined Liu Yan's kingdom. After fighting for him for ages and becoming sworn brother with the Strategist of the kingdom, I used my recruit ability and ended up recruiting Xiahou Dun. He's always been one of my favourites so I got him into my cool empire. After a little bit of fighting and so on, I ended up fighting against this CAW from another player, who after capturing joined our forces. Ever since this point, in every Skirmish it's always been her and Xiahou Dun on missions with me, even when it says there won't be any other allies, and once after a fight I had Xiahou Dun call me over and basically compliment me on the battle in a cutscene. Nothing came of it, but it happened. Now i've just started another battle and the female CAW called me over in a scene before it and told me to be careful and come back in one piece.

I'm sworn brothers with Xiahou Dun now, but haven't levelled my relationship with her and it's the same as half the other generals in the army. I can also edit her outfit in the tailor in town which was a pretty neat feature. I guess maybe the game looks at who you recruit and assumes you did it because you like them, then makes them more prominent which is pretty cool, but i'm not sure about her. Maybe it's because I captured her, or maybe just a thing unique to CAW's. She's the only one in my kingdom aside for my main guy.

I imagine you just have a high friendship rating with her. Participating in battles with people increases it a little bit, saving them when they're in trouble increases it a lot. There are other things that influence it too.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

edit - VVV The friendship rating with her has been D for the entire duration of the game.

Almost sounds like a bug then. I think you're only supposed to get the "please be careful :swoon:" thing at really high friendship. Or at least that's only when I've gotten it.

Does anyone know if you actually have to upload your character from the Extras menu or whatever for them to show up in others' games? It doesn't really make it clear.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Maybe. Who knows.

As for the other thing, when I finally finished the campaign I got told that it had saved my characters play style based off how I was playing or something but nothing about whether it had uploaded it or not. I don't really know what will happen if my guy goes into other games considering my "play style" was "Be Lu Bu, only more badass".

Also I remembered about the yellow turban guy called He Man, and made Adam of Eternia to replace him :allears:

I've seen theories from other people that it will make that character (when AI controlled) develop in a way similar to the way you did. The same weighting of fame types and the same strategems they had when you made that clear save. Something like that? Nothing about it in the manual.

Also the manual mentions that there's an option to turn officer deaths on or off when setting up a new game but I don't have that option in the menu. :confused:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hey Samurai Sanders how's the framerate looking in DW8? Better than the last few?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Being able to just hold down L2 to automatically jump on your horse is the single best thing to happen to this series in forever. :swoon:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait is that in 7E or was it introduced in 8? Either way yeah, it's a huge boon, especially since you can't jump on your horse normally with x unless everything is EXACTLY right, you're not being attacked, you jumped straight up, you're in exactly the right position relative to the horse, and so on.

No it's just in 8. I...I've made poor purchasing decisions. :retrogames:

e: I like how all of enemies shoot out sparks when you hit them now. Everyone knows that ancient China was populated by robots right?

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 3, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lu Bu does not gently caress around in DW8. :qq:
Probably shouldn't have killed Diao Chan

Bloodbath posted:

Does anyone know if DW7 Xtreme legends was released in Australia? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on shop websites, or was it a PS store thing?

I'm slightly bored of Empires and I missed DW7 when it came out, and I miss the storytelling aspect. Is XL worth hunting down or is DW7 worth it alone?

DW7 is good all by itself. You should play it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I was hoping that the way they released the Japanese and NA versions of DW7 only a month apart would be the norm going forward. :smith:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What's with the weapon dealers in the camps in DW8 never having any of my chosen character's EX weapon for sale? Don't make me use the starter weapons come on. :smith:

e: oh no Cao Cao you Sparking!!!'d too hard and crashed the game! At least this rad Battle of Chi Bi jam is still going.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 5, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Finished DW8's Wei campaign. Didn't expect it to end at the Battle of Fan Castle, with a big showdown against Guan Yu and his ridiculous family (four kids in the game now!). Very cool stage though, just pouring rain and lightning and flood waters. A rare occasion of a Dynasty Warriors game managing to look pretty nice. It looks like the route can split at the Battle of Chi Bi which, true to history I lost spectacularly, leading to a different four final stages. Gotta figure out how to do that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Belzac posted:

That's exactly where it ended in DW7, minus some of the finer details.

Ha ha, did it? It's been a while. I guess that isn't surprising at all then!

e: Mt. Dingjun music is great. http://youtu.be/rshQIOqTk3Y

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DW8 Wei alternate route:Historical semi-accuracy sure, that's cool, I appreciate that, but there's a certain cathartic quality to "hey what if all of the cool people in Wei didn't die early and they won at Chi Bi and then they got to have super rad climactic final battles against the other kingdoms involving most of the greatest figures from each and then everyone (from Wei) lived happily ever after!!!" :buddy: Feels a lot like DW4 and it's fun to have it both ways, even though the presentation as a whole noticeably suffers some as a result.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

You mean the presentation for Wei's "main story" is sacrificed for the sake of the alternate routes?

Not exactly. That's what I wrote though! I accidentally conflated a couple of different thoughts and ended up posting something that I don't actually agree with. Sorry! The presentation of the story mode has taken a small step backward from DW7 but I don't believe that the side routes are to blame for that. It's a handful of other things, like the particular story beats they've decided to hit, de-emphasizing some deaths that were major parts of DW7's stories, in some cases even leaving major figures to just disappear without mention, and the way that every selectable character for a given stage is obligated to show up in any cutscenes that happen in that stage even when they might end up looking out of place. Some minor visual polish things that looked better in DW7. Stuff like that. The split routes themselves are pretty short and don't necessarily take anything away from the rest of the stories.

To be clear, I'm not down on the game at all. I've been having a great time with it and would definitely say that it's more pluses than minuses. DW7 just handled some story things better.

edit: this guuuuuuuy

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only just started Shosei mode, the free-form mode in 8, and it appears to be loving huge, though I can't tell exactly how much. tooooooo bad have you gotten very far in it?

I haven't played it at all. Got to the character select and decided that I needed to unlock way more people before giving it a go, though now that I've got Han Dang I'm probably set. Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

Just got to Fan Castle on the Wu side and you were so right about Lu Xun's moves, wow. Cao Cao does the clone thing too but in a totally different way, mostly hanging back and looking cool while his clone murders people. :c00lbert: