Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

tooooooo bad posted:

Finished DW8's Wei campaign. Didn't expect it to end at the Battle of Fan Castle, with a big showdown against Guan Yu and his ridiculous family (four kids in the game now!). Very cool stage though, just pouring rain and lightning and flood waters. A rare occasion of a Dynasty Warriors game managing to look pretty nice. It looks like the route can split at the Battle of Chi Bi which, true to history I lost spectacularly, leading to a different four final stages. Gotta figure out how to do that.

That's exactly where it ended in DW7, minus some of the finer details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Belzac posted:

That's exactly where it ended in DW7, minus some of the finer details.

Ha ha, did it? It's been a while. I guess that isn't surprising at all then!

e: Mt. Dingjun music is great. http://youtu.be/rshQIOqTk3Y

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2013

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

PureRok posted:

I could have sworn I saw DW7 on the US PSN.

I'll set up a US account and hopefully the data is compatible with my AU version of XL! Thank you :)

The Doomhammer posted:

I guess you can go around hitting up EB's looking for pre-owned versions. Alternatively, ebay.

I checked a lot of places in and around Brisbane today with no luck, and only stumbled across XL when I was about to leave in a pile of preowned games. They only seemed to have DW6 in the shops sadly, and I've already played that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bloodbath posted:

I'll set up a US account and hopefully the data is compatible with my AU version of XL! Thank you :)

Sorry to say, but 99.9% chance it's not.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Doomhammer posted:

It's disc only in Aus, no idea about the other regions.

I guess you can go around hitting up EB's looking for pre-owned versions. Alternatively, ebay.

Edit: Looking this up on PSN made me realize that I've bought a depressingly large amount of half-assed warriors DLC.

You and me both. At one point last year I sat down and decided I would finally buy all of the DLC for DW7 and WO3. I gave up after spending $120 and there's still stuff I haven't gotten yet.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

I'll set up a US account and hopefully the data is compatible with my AU version of XL! Thank you

Yeah, don't do this. I just remembered that when XL came out I originally bought a US version online so I could play it early, thinking I was sooo clever. But it was incompatible with the PAL version DW7. I imagine it's the same the other way round too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Someone uploaded Santa Chan, a female CAW with the Hunt Princess clothes and a poofball hat, all in red and white. :3:

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open
I just joined Cao Cao's forces only to get invaded the next turn, I'm assuming for the third time in a row, and lose. I bought weapons and items with BP too. I feel very smart right now.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Schubalts posted:

Someone uploaded Santa Chan, a female CAW with the Hunt Princess clothes and a poofball hat, all in red and white. :3:

I kept running into REAL HE MAN and he looked just like 80s cartoon He Man, it was awesome. He'd always refuse my invites to join my kingdom though. I also saw an ADAM and was hoping he was the de-powered version but it was just some other CAW.

I finally got through the Yellow Turban Rebellion in a very Wei-ish way. Became Gongsun Zan's Marshal and spread throughout the north while Ma Teng took over the "Shu area" and Sun Jian basically recreated Wu. My kingdom made its way through the not-quite-Shu while Sun Jian did nothing and then swallowed his kingdom up as well. The endgame, with only two big kingdoms left, is kinda slow so hopefully some of the harder scenarios keep more of the smaller kingdoms around longer. I know it's the same maps all the time, but I like the craziness of it.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Static Rook posted:

I kept running into REAL HE MAN and he looked just like 80s cartoon He Man, it was awesome. He'd always refuse my invites to join my kingdom though. I also saw an ADAM and was hoping he was the de-powered version but it was just some other CAW.

I finally got through the Yellow Turban Rebellion in a very Wei-ish way. Became Gongsun Zan's Marshal and spread throughout the north while Ma Teng took over the "Shu area" and Sun Jian basically recreated Wu. My kingdom made its way through the not-quite-Shu while Sun Jian did nothing and then swallowed his kingdom up as well. The endgame, with only two big kingdoms left, is kinda slow so hopefully some of the harder scenarios keep more of the smaller kingdoms around longer. I know it's the same maps all the time, but I like the craziness of it.

I have a He-Man running around (obviously in my game, replacing He Man) so if you see it hyphenated like that it's probably my guy.

I won the second scenario yesterday with Prince Abubu and it was pretty great - I took a kingdom that I had been part of in the previous scenario and it got me 1/4 of the map, then it was just Sun Jian's kingdom and another in the corner.

I was allied with Sun Jian, and since his territory surrounded the other guys, I could do nothing at all for like a year. I tried allying with the other guy and that worked, but even though we were all allied the game wouldn't end. That's a shame, since it means total domination is the only way to win, and it would have been nice to see it possible in other ways. Long story short I crushed them both. :(

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Schubalts posted:

I somehow first read that as "pro football hat" and all I could think was "WAIT WHAT?!?" :psyduck:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When you start a new Empires game and unlock weapons or whatever, do you have to spend that BP every time, or only once to unlock it?

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game since 2 way back when and I've decided I want to get a new one. I know that DW8 should come out fairly soon but DW7 is looking tempting for $20 (not really interested in Empires). Should I get that or Warriors Orochi 3?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A PC Game posted:

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game since 2 way back when and I've decided I want to get a new one. I know that DW8 should come out fairly soon but DW7 is looking tempting for $20 (not really interested in Empires). Should I get that or Warriors Orochi 3?
Huh, good question. If you know all the characters from both DW and Samurai Warriors, Orochi 3 might be better, but if you DON'T, you won't know who the hell everyone is and any of their relationships and that should kill some of the fun. DW7 does a great job of introducing the world and people of the three kingdoms, maybe the best so far (even including 8).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 6, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Static Rook posted:

The endgame, with only two big kingdoms left, is kinda slow so hopefully some of the harder scenarios keep more of the smaller kingdoms around longer. I know it's the same maps all the time, but I like the craziness of it.

I did Yellow Turban scenario, and the last few kingdoms stuck around for a while. I joined Ou Xing, and while we were taking the south, Ma Teng, Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao, and Sun Jian kept invading each other until we took out Sun Jian. Dong Zhuo kept forging alliances with Ma Teng and Yuan Shao, and then immediately invading them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In case it wasn't obvious, Hancock and Jinbei are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. There's also some DW8 cross-promotion going on with the costumes for Perona and Hancock.

I just got Platinum in PW1 the other day. Not a bad game for $25 but I would have been pissed if I dropped the full $50.

I THINK this is a newish trailer. I don't remember the gameplay details at the end of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg-AqbRo7k

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 6, 2013

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Some of the Create a Warriors I've seen in 7:E are bloody insane. I've seen at least two Miku Hatsunes on the download list, and I nearly got my head kicked in by some fictional character I didn't recognize with the floating swords equipped. I ended up having to spam my sword EX to keep her stunlocked, since she had me in the red.

Speaking of, is it just me, or do skirmishes not have any health items, anywhere? The only source of healing I've seen is at your bases, which of course you only have in proper invasions. Am I missing something, or do you really only get the one lifebar of juice on a skirmish?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yalborap posted:

Speaking of, is it just me, or do skirmishes not have any health items, anywhere? The only source of healing I've seen is at your bases, which of course you only have in proper invasions. Am I missing something, or do you really only get the one lifebar of juice on a skirmish?

It seems that way, there is an item that restores your life passively at the cost of having less defense. I never picked it up myself, but I imagine it will work in skirmishes.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
They fixed that in the JP 1.03 patch, which came out like 2 weeks ago over there, so we probably won't see it for a bit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

In case it wasn't obvious, Hancock and Jinbei are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. There's also some DW8 cross-promotion going on with the costumes for Perona and Hancock.

I just got Platinum in PW1 the other day. Not a bad game for $25 but I would have been pissed if I dropped the full $50.

I THINK this is a newish trailer. I don't remember the gameplay details at the end of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg-AqbRo7k

I don't know if I'm interpreting that video wrong, but it seems like they made goddamn loving everyone playable. Unless you can get non-playable characters to do the Nakama Strike thing, which is also a possibility.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Leal posted:

It seems that way, there is an item that restores your life passively at the cost of having less defense.

Ugh, I hated that thing and I hated that it was basically necessary to clear that insane final mission in DW Gundam 3.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ugh, I hated that thing and I hated that it was basically necessary to clear that insane final mission in DW Gundam 3.

Eh, Unicorn Gundam with Ace Killer, Ace Pilot, and Serene Mind worked pretty well. :getin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think I used Knight Gundam and the Stone Plate or whatever it was. I probably should have used Unicorn, considering its SP move was basically "strap chainsaws to the front of your MS and go hog wild".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I used Knight Gundam and the Stone Plate or whatever it was. I probably should have used Unicorn, considering its SP move was basically "strap chainsaws to the front of your MS and go hog wild".

Yeah, even with its Slate upgrade, the Knight Gundam is solid, but not jaw-droppingly amazing. The Unicorn's aerial SP attack (with the big fuckoff gatlings) is pretty potent as well, and eats Mobile Armours alive.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Whoever talked about the Jin campaign being depressing was totally right. I'm used to the pre-Jin DW games where you win the campaign and Wu takes over the whole world and Sun Quan becomes the President of Space. Mopping up the sad, desperate remnants of the Three Kingdoms is grim.

Samurai Sanders posted:

DW7 does a great job of introducing the world and people of the three kingdoms, maybe the best so far (even including 8).
DW7 is great for actually representing the original story, even in its crazy DW manner. For example, Chibi on the Wei side has your army routed while you minimise losses and eventually focus on the escape. I like this better than turning into a "what if Wei won Chibi" situation, personally.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
First DLC for Empires came out last night. Details to follow:

Fantasy Castle Set ($3.99) – A new scenario ‘Fantasy Battle’, will be added to Empire Mode. Additionally, a new weapon, ‘Purple Dragons’, and two new castles, ‘Medieval Castle’ and ‘Mystical Forest’, will be added to Empire Mode.

Scenario and Accessories Set Pack 1 (Free) – A new scenario, ‘Winds of the Wuzhang Plains’, will be added. New accessories will be added to Edit Mode.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Enallyniv posted:

Whoever talked about the Jin campaign being depressing was totally right. I'm used to the pre-Jin DW games where you win the campaign and Wu takes over the whole world and Sun Quan becomes the President of Space. Mopping up the sad, desperate remnants of the Three Kingdoms is grim.
This is pretty much why most adaptations (i.e. the previous games) tend to stop with Wu Zhang Plains and Zhuge Liang's death: because after that all you tend to have is Jiang Wei failing at life and "minor" internal rebellions and the constraints of historical adaptation mean that they can only spice the post-Wu Zhang Plains period so much*, hence why the Jin story focuses so much on the Sima clan in particular.

Hell, the Wu story is the closest to "pre-Jin DW games", and that basically cuts off right before the wheels started falling off of Sun Quan's reign! (Twenty-years down the line, his mental health started to go as well, and that brief mention of Sun Quan and Lu Xun's deaths omits how ugly the situation was surrounding those.)

* To paraphrase The Ravages of Time, "those who are fated to die, will die. Those who are fated to live, no matter what, will live on."

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DW8 Wei alternate route:Historical semi-accuracy sure, that's cool, I appreciate that, but there's a certain cathartic quality to "hey what if all of the cool people in Wei didn't die early and they won at Chi Bi and then they got to have super rad climactic final battles against the other kingdoms involving most of the greatest figures from each and then everyone (from Wei) lived happily ever after!!!" :buddy: Feels a lot like DW4 and it's fun to have it both ways, even though the presentation as a whole noticeably suffers some as a result.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You mean the presentation for Wei's "main story" is sacrificed for the sake of the alternate routes?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

My CAW is probably going to be a massive rear end in a top hat online. I like rushing behind the front lines, taking a base, then dropping catapults in it.

Belzac posted:

Fantasy Castle Set ($3.99) – A new scenario ‘Fantasy Battle’, will be added to Empire Mode.

This scenario has the elf lady from the homepage and a DWARF.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Schubalts posted:

This scenario has the elf lady from the homepage and a DWARF.

Two of them actually.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

You mean the presentation for Wei's "main story" is sacrificed for the sake of the alternate routes?

Not exactly. That's what I wrote though! I accidentally conflated a couple of different thoughts and ended up posting something that I don't actually agree with. Sorry! The presentation of the story mode has taken a small step backward from DW7 but I don't believe that the side routes are to blame for that. It's a handful of other things, like the particular story beats they've decided to hit, de-emphasizing some deaths that were major parts of DW7's stories, in some cases even leaving major figures to just disappear without mention, and the way that every selectable character for a given stage is obligated to show up in any cutscenes that happen in that stage even when they might end up looking out of place. Some minor visual polish things that looked better in DW7. Stuff like that. The split routes themselves are pretty short and don't necessarily take anything away from the rest of the stories.

To be clear, I'm not down on the game at all. I've been having a great time with it and would definitely say that it's more pluses than minuses. DW7 just handled some story things better.

edit: this guuuuuuuy

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 7, 2013

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Ok, who made McGoonerson?
A chubby little man complete with fedora, "wolf shirt" and jorts.

You got a good chuckle out of me anyway.

e: haha almost missed that he's using the curved sword too, perfect

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TheBlackRoija posted:

Ok, who made McGoonerson?
A chubby little man complete with fedora, "wolf shirt" and jorts.

You got a good chuckle out of me anyway.

That sounds perfect.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Ha, I was uploading all my officers just now, and it wouldn't let me upload my Man Chong! It was flagged for being inappropriate. I guess that means you can't upload anything with 'Dong' in its name either. Oh well.

So lewd...

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 7, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I just saw a youtube clip from the 2010 'Three Kingdoms' series in which Zhang Fei punches out a horse (like Blazing Saddles except completely serious :allears:), and now I'm dying to know where to find the rest of it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So I just saw a youtube clip from the 2010 'Three Kingdoms' series in which Zhang Fei punches out a horse (like Blazing Saddles except completely serious :allears:), and now I'm dying to know where to find the rest of it.
Puh-lease, Zhuge Liang's first "action" upon getting up is to recite something and then "cough cough oh poo poo what's with this smoke?" because Zhang Fei set his house on fire!

Here's the first episode, while the user has it organized into playlists for episodes one through sixty-six and sixty-seven through ninety-five.

I actually really enjoyed the series for using a 'modern' interpretation while still focusing on Shu and taking their "designated protagonist" role with a generally straight face like the novel does while getting Wei and Wu their own moments to one-up them... for example, Lu Su's mere presence completely derailing the "Guan Yu returns from Huarong Valley" scene from the novel :allears: (Oh yeah, Zijing = Lu Su for anyone who's wondering.)

P.S. Worth watching as well as a "how Mandarin pronunciations actually work" guide.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 7, 2013

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
In private, I often catch myself laughing in a similar way to how Sima Yi laughs in Three Kingdoms 2010. Anybody who sits through that series will grow fond of ol' bug eyes, I'm sure.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In fairness, that is a highly erotic moustache.

Seriouspost - DW7: Empires is only available on PSN for PS3 and nowhere else in America, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Seriouspost - DW7: Empires is only available on PSN for PS3 and nowhere else in America, correct?

Yes. You can import a UK Blu-ray copy but you'll have to buy any DLC from the UK PSN.