Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vincent posted:

Ah, alright then, thanks Policenaut!
I'm going to get WO3 but I want to know how hard is it to plat? I generally like to 100% most games unless they have some bullshit requirements (mahjong or pachinko in Yakuza 4, for example) or they have a lot of multiplayer trophies (I generally buy games way after they came out, so there's not many people playing the multiplayer)

The achievements in Warriors games are only hard if you don't like grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully it comes out on PSN because I accidentally bought $50 of PSN points when I got 7: E.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I play all of the DW games on easy. :shobon:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Now that I have a PS3 I'm not going to be getting the 360 version like I did with 7. I'm not going to be shafted with XL only being released on PS3.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

tooooooo bad posted:

That looks worse than the PS3 version ran but it certainly does slow down in similar fashion when there are loads of dudes on screen. Rather than dropping frames like DW7 it slows down the gameplay like a SNES game or something.

I love that slow down. I always thought that meant I was doing awesome if my game slowed down on the SNES. Now I can feel it again with DW!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is it so big because of an additional download, like Japanese voices? How in the hell is it so huge? :confused:

Well, there are a lot of characters who all need their own voice clips. Each character has several weapons. All these things need models and textures and audio. Also video, maps, etc. It adds up. And since it's the PS3 version it's probably not compressed a bunch since it goes on a Bluray instead of DVD.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Have they added any sort of lobby interface to the online portion? In Warriors Orochi 3 I remember it just kicking me back to the main menu a lot of times after doing some co-op and it was pretty frustrating having to go through setting things up every time.

Well, I've yet to play the game, but the back of the box (in my hand) says "Lobbies/Matchmaking". So, maybe. It also says "Salons/Service de Recherche D'Opposants" if that's better.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Wing Blades are drat awesome. Flying all over the place cuttin' fools up. I think I've got a new character to put in my favorites.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I'm still not very far into the game as of now, but I think I can safely say 8 is the first DW game that I've liked after trying it (WO3 doesn't count). That sounds like faint praise, but I really am having fun and doing a reasonable job of not getting lost/bored.

Questions:
-Can I save progress in multiple kingdoms' storylines? I know I could figure it figure it out myself, but I don't want to lose my Jin progress if I'm wrong.
-Why am I only unlocking skills on the first skill category?

It tells you why on the skills. They need certain characters to reach level 50.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

chunkles posted:

What skills do you guys go with? I've been going with Havoc/Mighty Roar/Quick Learner/Attack Boost basically every time but I'm not sure if it's optimal.

This is exactly what I'm doing, too. I wish you could use more skills, or all of them like some of the games. Choosing so few with so many skills seems really limiting.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Any change notes for todays patch for DW8?

E: Oh, they give them to you on the PS3. Sweet. Collision detection problem on one stage fixed and something about text.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, honestly, I still think 7 is the better game. The story felt more cohesive, and the missing battle with Xiahou Dun losing his eye was a downer for me. Actually, the whole Wei story just felt like it was just kind of... there. I haven't finished Jin yet, but even it feels worse than 7. I haven't touched Ambition mode yet, so I have no comment on that.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

5er posted:

A fun thing with the 2010 Three Kingdoms series (I'm up to ep.13), is looking at the background mooks just to see how badly the extras are wearing their helmets. Are they doing that poo poo on purpose to see who's paying attention? The helmets in the episode where Cao Cao is at a crossroads taking a pause before pursuing the emperor to Luoyang seemed to be the worst- not one background mook had it on straight and they all looked ridiculously oversized.
The fight cinematography is awful too, but I can forgive it because the characters themselves and their development are the real meat of the show. This and Game of Thrones are the only shows I've ever watched where I know what's coming, but I'm still hooked.

It's probably because armor back then would probably have just been made as "one size fits all". Making helmets and armor personally for each individual peasant doesn't sound practical. So, for most the helmets are probably too big.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

5er posted:

Thanks everyone for the Ambition mode explanations! I would've figured out the consecutive battle thing if I had just played it a bit more. Is there a list of who all are the best officers to assign as supervisors for the buildings?

The best is whoever you want to talk to. They don't serve any function as far as I'm aware.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
According to this place these are the requirements:

pre:
Scenario 	        Character 	Unlock Requirements

Yellow Turban Conflict 	Zhang Jiao 	Clear Shu Chapter 1.
Eliminate Dong Zhuo 	Diaochan 	Clear Wei Chapter 2.
Chase at Hulao Gate 	Dong Zhuo 	Clear Shu Chapter 2.
Xiapi Defensive Battle 	Lu Bu 	        Clear Wei Chapter 6-X.
Skirmish at Guandu 	Yuan Shao 	Clear Shu Chapter 3-X.
Nanzhong Rescue Mission Zhurong 	Clear Shu Chapter 11W-X.
Phantoms of Xuchang 	Zuo Ci  	Clear Wu Chapter 11W.
Rescue at Baidi Castle 	Meng Huo 	Clear Jin Chapter 9W. 

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Stelas posted:

Do you ever have any missions where your character choice drastically changes your start position? I'm finally working my way through Story Mode and that's kind of a shame if not.

I don't think so, but some characters get different missions than others, so it could change how you play the campaign. Like in Defence of Xu Province if you pick Zhang Fei you go down along the bottom and clear out an entirely separate part of the map from the other characters you could play as.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Yomtom posted:

Recently I picked up and am enjoying DW8 but I miss the narrator that would talk between missions the most :(.

What's weird is the JP version apparently has a narrator. So they just excised it. I wonder if they couldn't get the guy who usually does it or maybe they just felt like saving some money.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Only Vita or PS3 as well?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The model isn't quite the same. His nose, for instance, is different.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not what I expected Nobuyuki to look like, to be honest. Hopefully he's better than he looks.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Nolan North as everyone.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Man, I love Samurai Warriors music so much. Those little drums and the twangy thing. Good poo poo. And the flute.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
That's about what I'd imagine a person with that resume to look like.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

caleramaen posted:

I didn't even know there was a Dynasty Warriors Online

It was alright, but it's super grindy and you only got to play the same 2 maps over and over for a long time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly don't know if I'm dreaming right now or not. I Love Zelda - it's why I still by Nintendo consoles. Can't wait to tear up them moblins.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

KoB posted:

I would buy Dynasty Warriors: Smash Bros.

:colbert: Yeah I said it.

Smash Warriors? Dynasty Bros.?

I like 'em both.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Chortles posted:

Well done KOEI :golfclap:

What's the reference?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

thorsilver posted:

While I'm at it, is Shinovi Versus good for a musou fan? I know it's horribly fan-service-y but I play so many Japanese games these days I barely notice that stuff anymore.

You may want to hold off getting it. Burst came out recently and there have been hints that they are going to localize Shinovi Versus (Burst was to test the waters for the series, so says hearsay). Of course, if you don't care about that then feel free.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Drakengard is kind of like DW. I haven't played 2 or 3, but from what I've played of the first one it's pretty similar.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I really wish they would release PC versions in the West. Japanese games are becoming more popular on Steam (or more common, at least), and I don't think they'd really have to do too much more work to bring the PC versions over. The last one that was released on PC in English was 6, right?

I say this mainly because I don't want to get a next gen console for a few years, but I want the new Warriors games.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, the blade reminds me of a Kris. I haven't played the game (waiting for US release), so I can't comment on anything he may do with that weapon.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully you can turn AA on in this without all of the models turning invisible. I'm looking at you, Samurai Warriors 2.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You should be the one chasing Lu Bu. I always KO him. He's a bitch. It may take me 20 minutes the first time thanks to his gargantuan life, but I'll do it. I have standards.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I can't remember if this was stated, but is the PC version of DW8 going to come with the XL content bundled in?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Maleketh posted:

Most (maybe all?) story mode maps have a time limit one hour, which is far, far more than you'll ever need.

Which really makes you wonder why they bother putting time limits on at all. I almost never have a level last longer that 15-ish minutes (except in the newer games where there are more events). It just seems like some weird arcade holdover or something.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bloodly posted:

You'd be surprised. Some of the longer missions can last that long, and especially on the harder difficulties and if things go wrong, you can be there a long time.

Nah. I've been playing since 3 and I've never had to play more than 20 minutes.

E: In musou mode. If I'm in free mode then sometimes I guess time can add up since I'm mostly just running all over killing everyone. In Musou mode I'm pretty focused on finishing each level/following objectives.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
For something coming out in just 10 days I'm surprised there's no coming soon advert on the store page and maybe the ability to pre-order it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

OxMan posted:

Been smashing folks to get 1000+ kills at hu lao hate since 2001 in dw2. So I finally got a PS3 and was looking at sengoku basara. I played the crap out of sw2 on 360 and total war shogun so I don't think I'd be too lost on who everyone is anime idiosycrasies aside; but looking at gameplay vids it looks like there's less mooks and a more devil may cry style combat system? The last dw game I played was next on vita and before that 5 on PS2 years ago. Would I be better served by getting orochi warriors 3 to scratch that itch if I have only played the first one (which was cool but very boring on the grind)?

Well, Sengoku Basara isn't a DW/SW game so that's probably the problem. I'd recommend DW7 if you're looking to get back into the series. DW8 is newer, but I think overall DW7 is better. Or wait until the 13th to get DW8XL Complete Super Edition on Steam for PC.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll let you know how it works for me in 1 hour since that's about how long it says it has left to download. If my internet didn't keep dropping randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm interested in knowing how well it works too. I tend to be a bit shy with Japanese PC games since the optimization tends to be pretty bad. I'm thinking back to Samurai Warriors 2 on PC, not nearly as fun times as it should have been.

The only problem I had with that was turning on anti-aliasing made everyone (except their weapons) invisible. :v: