Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Samurai Warriors 3 also got an Empires edition, and it's also like one of the best Empires games ever. God drat, Castle Town was the best thing they ever added and I can't believe Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires apparently won't have it.
drat it Koei why won't you bring this over :arghfist::smith:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I definitely don't, for a lot of reasons. The first is that they changed up everyone's weapons, replacing Lu Bu's halberd with a weird cross-blade thing, Sun Shang Xiang got a bow instead of her wind and fire wheels, Sima Yi got metal claws instead of his fan, and so on. They seem to have changed some of them back in DW7 I guess...I haven't played 7 yet, but WO3 seems to be based on the DW7 versions of the characters. So like, Sun Shang Xiang got her wind and fire wheels back, Sima Yi has a fan again, Lu Bu has a halberd again, but some of the other ones stayed weird like Zhang Liao has twin axes instead of a spear, and Pang De has a club instead of his original weapon...which sucks because I liked playing Pang De before but that club is poo poo.
Also they removed several of characters, for some reason (Da Qiao, Xing Cai, Meng Huo and Zhu Rong, off the top of my head. Meng Huo came back in 6:E, with a crazy-awesome weapon he's since lost, but for some reason Zhu Rong didn't come back until DW7 :confused:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Gracia on Horseback has always been a roaming death machine, in all of her appearances. Zhou Tai in his DW5-style incarnations was also death on a horse despite no horseman styled backstory. It only really makes sense on Ma Chao. :v:
Cai Wenji is pretty good on horseback too. My favorite thing is just strumming the hell out of the harp while everyone just runs headlong into the shockwaves :allears:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

The GIG posted:

I decided to go for the get all items trophy in Warriors Orochi 3.

Turns out some of the battles don't spawn enough people for you to kill to get to the item goal. I've failed Battle of Nazhong like 7 times because every time I get to 50-100 kills to go, Da Ji runs away. :suicide:
I think as long as you don't approach the area she's in right at the end, you can hang around the last fort and kill mooks until you have enough. She gets tied up fighting Zhu Rong and just seems to stay there for quite a while. That's how I got that item anyway (it was the last one I needed, for more or less the exact same reason you're having trouble).

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 30, 2012

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Yue Ying's got pretty good range.

When I did the game on Chaos I pretty much used her in every single mission. Her lightning vortex EX attack just murders everything.

edit: Yoshimoto is also terrible.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 14, 2012

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I liked 6E, honestly. Officer mode was pretty cool. Also, it has Meng Huo's best weapon and moveset ever.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

iirc, they're decloning several characters for 7:Empires already. Zhu Rong, the other guy who shares gauntlets with Meng Huo (it's either Ding Feng or Deng Ai, I can't remember which is the Meng Huo clone and which is the Nagamasa Azai clone), and one of the Qiaos definitely are, plus one or two others I think.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

I still can't believe that they put Schwartz in but not the Spiegel Gundam.
There's a lot of weirdness like that, like how Lunamaria doesn't actually have her own mobile suit. Or all those characters that appear in missions but are just sort of artbitrarily not playable.

Also, a total lack of Allenby and the Nobel Gundam :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

The GIG posted:

I just want Lu Bu in every Warriors game. Have him in Gundam has himself just shearing off Gundams by their ankles with his halberd.
There is an entire line of SD Gundam kits that are basically "dude from ROTK, but a mobile suit". Not really that related, but pretty neat.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

I've never been this happy to see that something is a phone game. I am not prepared for another Warriors Orochi.
I don't think they'd make another Warriors Orochi until they make Samurai Warriors 4.

I'm not sure how they'd make another one at all, to be honest, the ending of WO3 literally destroyed that entire setting.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Probably has more to do with the changes they made to characters for DW7's larger enemy groups. Every DW character is a complete beast while most of the SW characters are a lot more low-key, with fewer attacks that just destroy everything on screen, because that's how SW games still play (maybe as a consequence of being made for the Wii? Just sayin).
I think it's mostly because they don't seem to have revamped the SW characters' movesets... ever, really, while they upgrade the DW ones all the time.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Kiyomasa has a better scythe moveset than Yue Ying.
He lacks Yue Ying's crazy-good lightning vortex C5+EX combo :colbert:

Come to think of it, that's another problem with SW characters, they don't have EX Attacks.

quote:

I'm not through all of Chaos yet, but I'm going to say it ultimately doesn't matter because you could probably take a team of Xu Zhu/Imagawa/Gyuki through if you had Brilliance. Hoping that changes when I get to harder stages.
The important thing in Chaos is to have that ability that regains health when you hit with charge attacks and combine it with characters who can hit a lot of enemies with theirs (especially if they can hit enemies in multiple directions at once). Also, gently caress archers.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What's a good map for getting the 'finish a stage in under 5 minutes' achievement in Orochi 3?
Ueda Castle works, especially if you've got one of the good horses. Just go meet Wang Yuanji, kill Yuan Shao, then kill Dong Zhuo, and you're done.

You can even do it without taking damage, if you're lucky.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Next, and why are half the characters' names pronounced completely different than they're spelled :psyduck:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

I feel like Wei Yan's helmets have been getting progressively worse.
Speaking of Wei Yan, is there a reason he talks like a caveman?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Pang Tong strikes me as the type of guy who would give no fucks about wearing an off-period outfit.

Especially considering he already dressed like a giant moth.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Belzac posted:

XL also has English VO. These might be the end for it though SW:C, WO3, 7 Empires, Pirate Warriors, and Ken's Rage 2 all won't/don't have English VO. The only hope we have for getting the cast back is 8 but I don't think that's much of a chance.
Next also has English voices.

:unsmith: I missed English Lu Bu.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

To be honest, I kind of hope they add a few more women this time, like they did in DW7.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another Dynasty Warriors pretty boy, that's for sure.

Japanese users are always complaining about DW's sky high pretty boy ratio, even compared to other Japanese games.
You know it's bad when even Japan is complaining.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, but Western game protagonists usually look a little bit...rougher. Like, someone who has actually seen combat.
Case in point: Nier.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Suben posted:

We've seen pretty much the whole cast at this point and the only new female characters are Zhang Chunhua (Sima Yi's wife) for Jin and Guan Yinping (Guan Yu's daughter) for Shu. I'd assume XL you can probably count on one of Lu Lingqi (Lu Bu's daughter) or Ma Yunlu (Ma Chao's sister/Zhao Yun's wife). If they ever actually do the fall of Wu there's at least one no brainer add in Sun Luban, one of Sun Quan's daughters who was basically a conniving mega-bitch and was heavily involved in a lot of the political stuff that wound up screwing Wu up big time after Sun Quan's death. You could probably also throw her sister, Sun Luyu, in there to act as a counterpoint too.

And it's kind of funny that for all the pretty boys Jin has it's actually Wang Yuanji that's the most popular character from that faction and, I think, the entire series. Of course given that she's pure, 100% otakubait that's not really surprising.
Didn't Meng Huo and Zhurong have a daughter, too?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

PureRok posted:

Zhang He is one of my favorite characters and I hope they don't ever get rid of his fabulousness. It actually makes him unique from the other generals, who are all either pretty boys or gruff men (e: I guess some are girls, too). Not that there's anything wrong with either, but some flavour is nice now and again. :wink:
In what world does Zhang He not qualify as a "pretty boy" :confused:

At least he actually seems to be wearing real clothes this time.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

One of the sword minigames in Wii Sports Resort is pretty much Wii Musou.

It's pretty fun.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Stuff is happening in Dynasty Warriors 8. Ma Chao, Cai Wenji, Xu Zhu, Ma Dai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui are all confirmed.
Time for more horseback harp murder then :black101:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

That's one of my favorite missions, as he's slurring his lines the entire time.

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'
:allears: The WO3 DLC missions are hilarious.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So, what do the higher difficulties in DW7 actually do? I'm at the point in weapon/power upgrades where almost everything I touch dies instantly, including enemy officers in higher-level missions (Lu Bu's 5X-Y combo is god drat nuts, especially right after a weapon switch).

Mostly I just want to give enemy officers a pile more health, so long as it doesn't add anything incredibly annoying.
They turn arrows into concentrated murder, for some reason.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Azran posted:

Oh man, this franchise. :allears: I used to play it so much in my old PS2 (mostly Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 5, I think it was). Did they ever release a version with customizable characters? (As in, you could create your own characters)
That's what the Empires games do.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Also, they updated a lot of characters movesets further, decloning several of them (Da Qiao no longer uses a fan, Zhu Rong gets her boomerang back leaving those lovely throwing knives to Wang Yuanji, etc)

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Suben posted:

She's pretty much a check list of poo poo otaku love.

Tsundere? Yep.
Tits? There's another one.
Sexy-Cute design where she still looks fairly young? And another.
That weird deal with the thigh skin between the skirt and stockings? She's got that too.

There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting but she's tailor made for that crowd (maybe to counter the fujoshi fanbase?) and it's obviously worked given that she tops character popularity polls in Japan and fans in the west seem to love her as well.
she also is, or at least was, the only woman in Jin.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I feel like NEXT's Conquest Mode is just sort of a disappointment. It would be so much better if I could choose which territory gets its... whatever that number stands for increased, and if I could defend my territories instead of just auto-losing them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why is WO3 so fun. Why is Kunoichi's musou a murder tornado. I'm not complaining, though, it's :krad:.
I really like Kunoichi's musou attack, it's a shame she's an inferior Nene in every other respect (well, technically Nene's a better her, I think, but you get what I mean). Come to think of it, I don't "get" Kunoichi at all, why is a generic ninja girl literally named "female ninja" a distinct character v:confused:v

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Everybody has a "regal" outfit and they're mostly just a goofy hat and maybe a cape on top of their normal costumes :allears:

Also, they seem to have added a ton of new weapons, I don't recognize most of the 5th-level weapons (also, the joke weapons are amazing. "Tiger of Dingdong" :v:)

edit: the great axe joke weapon is a "warning: wild beasts" sign with Lu Bu's silhouette on it :allears:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 27, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jimbot posted:

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?
Theoretically you could just let someone conquer all but one territory and then fight them for their home territory and win the whole thing. I got 3 territories by doing that to Meng huo earlier today. It seems to be fairly random whether beating the ruler earns you all their turf or if they just relocate to another place they own, though.

Also, i found a pretty good Chie on there and made a Yukiko to match it :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

If you don't want your officer to look like he's associated with one of the kingdoms you're options are black, yellow, or purple.
:eng101: yellow is technically the color for the Other category (it's used in Next's conquest mode, for example).

And yes, they need to add more colors.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

For some reason you can only do skirmishes as your main guy though.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Man, Yuan Shao is persistent. Every game I've played so far where he was a force ended with him being one of the last factions left, it's weird.

Also, siege spears are incredible :black101:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Vincent posted:

Ah, alright then, thanks Policenaut!
I'm going to get WO3 but I want to know how hard is it to plat? I generally like to 100% most games unless they have some bullshit requirements (mahjong or pachinko in Yakuza 4, for example) or they have a lot of multiplayer trophies (I generally buy games way after they came out, so there's not many people playing the multiplayer)
That depends on how much tolerance you have for grinding proficiency or whatever that stat is on all 100-some characters and beating the whole game on Chaos, because those are the two most time-consuming things to do.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 12, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there anywhere that I can get ROTK or Nobunaga's Ambition without having to resort to importing and translator guides?
You should be able to pick up used copies in various places (I know Amazon had some), and at least one Nobunaga's Ambition game is on the PSN.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Chortles posted:

Wasn't Lu Bu's version of Battle of Hulao Gate in DW6 as his final stage basically the aforementioned "you versus the rest of the cast other than Diaochan, Zhang Liao and Chen Gong"? (Goddamn but Chen Gong should be in DW9.)
His campaign in Next starts that way, and ends with the same battle except you're all alone and have to fight Diao Chan and Zhang Liao as well.

:allears: His ending is basically "and then Lu Bu conquered China because he's loving Lu Bu, the end".

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

WO3 is available on 360 and PS3 (though it's a PSN-exclusive on the latter), and was also re-released for the Wii U.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

zarron posted:

Every time I see SSX mentioned in the thread I think of the game SSX and not an abbreviation of the character name. But I will instantly buy any DLC that had her in winter outfit throwing snowboards.
Evidently, you're not alone:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Also I grabbed the other two mounts. Red Hare and Mustakaze(?) Is there supposed to be something special about them? They don't seem to have anything going for them, aside from being faster than the first horse you're given.
They're faster and much higher off the ground, so a lot of projectiles don't hit you when riding them.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Calax posted:

Found the one with the names.

How did Yu Jin become more effeminate than Zhang He?
That Meng Huo and Zhu Rong are their best outfits ever :allears:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

I haven't played DW8 on Chaos, but my past experience says the harder difficulties cross the line from difficult to bullshit pretty fast. Like every officer is Lu Bu bullshit.
Also arrows are made of concentrated gently caress you, if WO3 is anything to go by.

Also all the officers loving block constantly, if it's anything like DW7:E :argh:

Belzac posted:

Lu Bu also had his own campaign in DW: Next.
It was by far the best one too, basically being "and Lu Bu kicked everyone's rear end (twice!) and conquered China, the end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jibo posted:

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping we get some more G Gundam suits (we won't).
I still want goddamn Allenby :argh: