Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, there's just something about Liu Bei that doesn't support the idea of two swords to me. One sword yeah, but not two. And Huang Gai having a boat as a weapon is so natural I can't believe they didn't think of it before.

Having a single sword you can hold out all authoritatively-like fits the traditional idea of a ruler better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

wei's story mode was a lot worse than shu's. it just ends in a really odd place. does the hypothetical route make it any better?

Wei's story is supposed to tie directly into Jin.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

IIRC, Cao Pi was historically a good domestic ruler but wasn't much for military matters anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Orochi shows up and asks for everyone's help to fight the real evil: The Devil Gundam.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

No, I do not want DOTA warriors, shut up with that talk.

Why not. Basically anything that involves a bunch of superhuman dudes and cannon-fodder class enemies can be adapted into the Musou mode.

Marvel and DC musou, Type Moon musou, Dota Musou, SRW Musou edition...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lu Meng has a character to assassinate?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guan Yu's ghost possessing Lu Meng, insulting Sun Quan by calling him a 'purple-bearded rat,' and then killing Lu Meng by 'vomiting blood from his seven orifices' is still a hella metal scene. Also raises Guan Yu to one of the three people in the novel to scare the crap out of others after they had died.

Also I just played through the Jin historical route and it really drives home the 'and then everything slowly descended into a pile of mediocrity and failure' of the last parts of the novel.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think you complete Feats in the Free Stages.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How in the hell am I supposed to rescue Guo Huai to unlock the Jin hypothetical? I blaze through the stage, I kill everyone within seconds of them showing up, but I still can't reach him in time before Li Jian shows up and Guo Huai gets wounded.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh, ok. Thanks. They should have told you a bit more about what to do.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Boy, the 'Kill Lu Gong' objective in Wu Stage 1 really requires you to go for broke targetting him

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tae posted:

The AI is a fickle thing. I've had Chen Gong on the last hypothetical Lu Bu stage solo Liu Bei and Zhang Fei somehow while I was trying to rescue him.

I think if you play that stage normally your Morale should be soaring by that point, so it's no surprise.

Even funnier when Lu Bu goes 'There's no way Chen Gong is a match for Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, I should go save him' and then he beats all of them before you even reach that spot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lu Su is a Cool Dude and I wish he showed up more.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Replace 'benevolence' with 'virtue.'

There you go.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If he kept his stache the fangirls/boys would keep complaining about how Shangxiang ended up with him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

There's a Wei-uniform Guan Yu in 8, is there a Shu-uniform Shangxiang?

Yup.

Complete with green nail-polish.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cheng Pu! loving FINALLY.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

I like Chen Gong's smugness a lot better than Sima Yi's or Zhuge Liang's. He's fun.

Pfft. Chen Gong doesn't have nearly as awesome an evil laugh as Sima Yi does.

Also Chen Gong and Lu Bu being whiny dicks to each other was the best part of the entire Lu Bu storyline.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Agreed. It's Wu that's drowning in strategists.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

caleramaen posted:

Two words: Sima Yan. If they're going to do Jin, they should do Jin right.

Sima Yan and his amazing invasion of Wu as he walks all over the 2 remaining playables.

They need more Wu late-era dudes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yalborap posted:

I believe it's Sima Yi who has at least three moves where his quote is just him laughing maniacally?

His basic musou is the best.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Sima Yi (As portrayed in DW) strikes me as someone who would totally have a secret base on a Volcanic Island, with a private military that wear funny costumes. (He would be Cobra Commander is what I am saying)

Speaking of Shu, I find how Jiang Wei joins Shu in DW8 to be completely hilarious.

Zhuge Liang: Sorry for completely ruining your reputation and military career, but...we want you to join our club.
Jiang Wei: gently caress YOU. Give me one good reason why I should go with you assholes?
Liu Shan: :byodood: BENEVOLENCE :byodood:
Jiang Wei: ...Eh, good enough for me. Lets roll.

The way he joins in the Hypothetical route is even more ridiculous.

I dunno why they suddenly decided on 'benevolence' as the Shu catchall word.

Or why Zhuge Liang, who was a massive jerk in the novel (and therefore massively entertaining), has to be the one to espouse this theory.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So is there anything more to Ambition Mode than just grinding out small battles over and over?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guys, guys.

Lord of the Rings Musou.

Would that work?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Allarion posted:

Yeah, it's decent enough. Controlling four different characters on the map is an interesting change, and the zone morale makes things more challenging than the typical Musou game since high enemy morale actually makes enemy soldiers and officers harder to kill. There's no Free mode though so you only have the main campaign and extra chapters to replay, so no playing as the opposite army in a battle.

Though I'm pretty sure the Story mode has a way for you to unlock you playing on either side in every battle.

Naturally the Warlords of the era are totally cool with this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I understand that you use a CAW, can you change his/her weapons?

It's not a CAW, you just choose a male or female character, each with a different main weapon. You can customize their costume somewhat, but nothing major.

You can use the weapons of other officers when you raise your relationship with them high enough. Except Fuma Kotaro, I think, because of his stretchy arms.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Wei campaign is the closest thing to realism because Wei was always the strongest of the 3, but how they handle the endgame is ridiculous.

The Wu campaign is straight up surreal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Jin just follows the same route Wei's does where they win harder, because nobody dies.

It also has the Sima dudes teaming up to call Jiang Wei an imbecile and I love them for that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The funny thing about Lu Bu is that if you actually read the novel his skill in battle is very quickly de-emphasized in favour of stressing that the dude had about as much political acumen as a tube of toothpaste.

Of course in Dynasty Warriors you can murder entire armies stupid enough to disagree with you so it matters less.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's entirely possible to savescum and beat him that way if you want.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

Oh, okay. That clears that up then.
I understand that there's a "historical" version of the story and a hypothetical, is accessing those at all dependent on having someone die or not die or does it come as a straightforward menu pick or dialogue option once it diverges?
And since the storyline to this appears to be very healthily developed, is there somewhere I can read more about the various different playable characters and their motivation and place in the story? I'm just picking based on whose logo looks coolest and whichever character is the least ~kawaii~ of the bunch but knowing who's who and why they're there would be nice.

http://www.threekingdoms.com/

Start here!

Alternatively you can try to Koei Wiki to search for specific characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Palladium posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688499-dynasty-warriors-8/67959135

Lu Bu is not even in the top 3 tiers like in previous games.

Lu Bu has inherent Hyper mode but that's tied to his musou and therefore not all that reliable. The other big gamebreaker thing about him is actually his weapon switch, which anyone can make use of regardless of affinity.

Also his EX moves are pretty bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I haven't played a Warriors title since Orochi 1. Is the Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition a good game? Seems like it has a lot of content.

Also is the last Orochi game available on PC at all?

Mechanically it's pretty much the best Musou has ever been. It's got nothing on Orochi in terms of content though, but what does?

Orochi 3 is not available on PC, unfortunately.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I remain baffled how over the years and with the big characterization shakeup of 6 onwards Liu Bei has somehow only gotten MORE two-dimensional and flat.

Just copy-paste Three Kingdoms 2010 Liu Bei or something, jeez.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The last pages are also pretty boring because all the heroes and villains you've been reading about are all dead and the Sima clan doesn't even really pull off any great feats (except maybe Deng Ai), they just roll in and kick over the rotten structures propping up what's left of the Three Kingdoms.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Y'all fuckers talking poo poo about wingblades? You get to fight with a bigass canoe, that you can surf around on a giant wave. I won't hear it.

Huang Gai's weapon is the Arm Blade.

Wingblades would be awesome if you had more control over where you ended up pingponging off to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm sorry, the worst weapon is the Crossbow, or whatever is the correct term for that hunk of junk Lianshi tries to pass off as her EX weapon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

How does the "don't get spotted" mission in the DW8 Wu campaign work when saving Zhou Yu, exactly? Are you supposed to be avoiding the objective markers?

Basically they mean take the Trench pathway and quickly kill any officers you run into.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You guys forgot 'ambition.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I'm curious, is it possible to ever run out of time in a warriors game?

Dynasty Warriors 4, Nanman Campaign on Hard.

Oh yes it is possible.